HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Van-nyi

Old
08-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Action

vCash: 500
Van-nyi

I posted this earlier on the Canucks message board and I wanted to see if the other fans of the trade would accept as well.

Anyways:

VAN:

Ty Wishart

NYI:

Ryan Parent

Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:53 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Why would we do that? Wishart's a decent prospect with upside and size. Parent is waiver wire material. Terrible value for the Islanders.

EDIT: Welcome to HFBoards.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Why would we do that? Wishart's a decent prospect with upside and size. Parent is waiver wire material. Terrible value for the Islanders.

EDIT: Welcome to HFBoards.
I imagined this trade as a minor change of scenery for both players but I'm wrong I guess as you still see Wishart with a fairly good amount of potential. The bolded part is one of the reasons why Parent is going the other way and why Wishart is coming back. Thanks for the welcome by the way. I've been more a lurker on HF Boards but a greeting is always appreciated.

Old
08-25-2011, 08:06 PM
hskates21*

Yeah it makes no sense for the isles

hskates21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 08:12 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I imagined this trade as a minor change of scenery for both players but I'm wrong I guess as you still see Wishart with a fairly good amount of potential. The bolded part is one of the reasons why Parent is going the other way and why Wishart is coming back. Thanks for the welcome by the way. I've been more a lurker on HF Boards but a greeting is always appreciated.
If that's your reasoning then the Islanders might as well just pick up Parent on waivers. We won't though, we need a top-4 defenseman which Parent is not.

If you want to trade Ballard and a pick to us for Bailey or Comeau, I'm down.

Old
08-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Action

Quote:
If that's your reasoning then the Islanders might as well just pick up Parent on waivers. We won't though, we need a top-4 defenseman which Parent is not.

One of Bailey or Comeau do sound intriguing but in the Canucks current situation, we're better off keeping Ballard and giving him another shot.

Old
08-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Cogburn

Quote:

Nah. Most Canuck fans see this as a bounce back year for Ballard, and although either Bailey or Comeau would compliment us a great deal, and free up some cap space to boot, we don't have enough puck movers in our current group.

As for the OP, I'd be down. Parent is/was considered to have a great deal of upside, and the only reason he didn't join the team midway through last season was because of re-entry waivers. Wishart may have a higher ceiling, but I don't think Parent is as low in value as Slapshot thinks, just that Wishart is the more valuable player in the long run, and short term Parent isn't a top 4 guy. I wouldn't be against a pick or lesser prospect heading back to even things out in terms of value, but Parent should prove he's better then waiver wire material.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Nah. Most Canuck fans see this as a bounce back year for Ballard, and although either Bailey or Comeau would compliment us a great deal, and free up some cap space to boot, we don't have enough puck movers in our current group.

As for the OP, I'd be down. Parent is/was considered to have a great deal of upside, and the only reason he didn't join the team midway through last season was because of re-entry waivers. Wishart may have a higher ceiling, but I don't think Parent is as low in value as Slapshot thinks, just that Wishart is the more valuable player in the long run, and short term Parent isn't a top 4 guy. I wouldn't be against a pick or lesser prospect heading back to even things out in terms of value, but Parent should prove he's better then waiver wire material.
the fact however, he is waiver wire material as right after being traded to Vancouver he was waived, which he cleared, his game has gone downhill fast, and there's no need for the Isles to trade the promising Wishart for him, He'll need to try and rebuild his value in the A

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:

That would be interesting trade, assuming the Canucks had plans to utilize Ballard's cap space elsewhere, but I think they're intent on giving Ballard a legit shot at a top 4 role next season. Last year was just a completely bad situation for Ballard all-around, there's every reason to believe he can bounce back.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:16 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:

i'm not.

ballard is what i call a league leftover. people say, "he's possibly decent. he's somewhat capable. he's available...so let's pounce on him!!!"

what a ridiculous way to think. let's pounce on vancouver's leftovers? i'm in!!!

seriously, i take a pass on a guy who couldn't crack his team's lineup in the playoffs.

as for ryan parent...the kid seemed to have so much promise. where did it go? i feel bad for the kid. just another example as to how prospects don't all reach the level people here on hf seem to think all youngsters will. did i mention i feel bad for the kid?

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:20 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
i'm not.

ballard is what i call a league leftover. people say, "he's possibly decent. he's somewhat capable. he's available...so let's pounce on him!!!"

what a ridiculous way to think. let's pounce on vancouver's leftovers? i'm in!!!

seriously, i take a pass on a guy who couldn't crack his team's lineup in the playoffs.

as for ryan parent...the kid seemed to have so much promise. where did it go? i feel bad for the kid. just another example as to how prospects don't all reach the level people here on hf seem to think all youngsters will. did i mention i feel bad for the kid?
I think Ballard just had one bad year. He was really good in Florida.

Old
08-25-2011, 09:35 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
perhaps, but i still wouldn't give up on either of bailey or comeau to get him. ballard's value is at a low and i think the isles would be fools to trade a high quality youngster to get him given his inability to crack vancouver's lineup in the post season. i'll take my chances with jb or bc.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
the fact however, he is waiver wire material as right after being traded to Vancouver he was waived, which he cleared, his game has gone downhill fast, and there's no need for the Isles to trade the promising Wishart for him, He'll need to try and rebuild his value in the A
The few Moose games I saw live he looked excellent in, and the odd televised game I saw him in he looked great as well. He was waived, but so was Grabner. I'm not counting on Parent to win a rookie scoring title, but just because a guy couldn't top 8 NHL ready defensemen and was placed on waivers at the beginning of the season doesn't mean he has negative value now.

I will agree that Wishart straight up would be lopsided in the Canucks favor, but Parent isn't Wade Redden here.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
The few Moose games I saw live he looked excellent in, and the odd televised game I saw him in he looked great as well. He was waived, but so was Grabner. I'm not counting on Parent to win a rookie scoring title, but just because a guy couldn't top 8 NHL ready defensemen and was placed on waivers at the beginning of the season doesn't mean he has negative value now.

I will agree that Wishart straight up would be lopsided in the Canucks favor, but Parent isn't Wade Redden here.
actually if their salaries were even id take Redden, he's not bad as a 3rd pairing guy its just his contract. by the time Parent left Philly his confidence was non existent, he needs to rebuild himself. When you make Bartulis look good by comparison, youre in trouble, and this from a guy who was willing to give a high 2nd for parent, I thought he had real promise, but he just lost all confidence in himself in Philly

he needs a strong veteran to help him find his game again, there's talent there, but he just doesnt seem to know it, Is there someone on the Canucks D that can help him? on the Isles I know Streit could

Old
08-25-2011, 10:04 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Wishart has always been bounced around which is why I feel his development has been hurt. He needs stability which I think the Isles will provide, so no to that.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:05 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Wishart doesn't need a change of scenery, he just got here.

I don't think that the Canucks and the Isles would make very good trade partners.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Wishart has always been bounced around which is why I feel his development has been hurt. He needs stability which I think the Isles will provide, so no to that.
in his defense so has Parent, I really think with the proper mentoring he could be a serviceable top 4 and better in a few years if he got his confidence back

Old
08-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Orange Thunder

Wishart is better, so Isles say no

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:14 PM
hskates21*

Quote:
i'm not.

what a ridiculous way to think. let's pounce on vancouver's
leftovers? i'm in!!!

seriously, i take a pass on a guy who couldn't crack his team's
lineup in the playoffs.

as for ryan parent...the kid seemed to have so much promise. where
did it go? i feel bad for the kid. just another example as to how prospects don't all reach the level people here on hf seem to think all
youngsters will. did i mention i feel bad for the kid?
I couldn't agree with you more I have no interest in Ballard especially at the cost of comeau or Bailey

hskates21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskates21 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more I have no interest in Ballard especially at the cost of comeau or Bailey
Thats surprising, prior to last year Ballard was higher rated than Vlasic, aand yet now you want Vlasic but wouldnt touch Ballard.?

you do know Ballard was traded for Michael Grabner, Steve Bernier, and Vancouver's first round pick, youd never get that for Vlasic, not even close to that

interesting

personally i think Ballard is a much better overall defenseman than Vlasic by far, the only caveat I have is he truly healthy, those hip injuries are scary

im holding out for Ballard and a 3rd for Comeau, Blake would be great for Kesler and vice versa, I think Kesler is a great player and this way i could still feel good about losing Comeau, even when he scores 30+ in Van city, Comeau being a former center would be Ideal for the new sniper Kesler

Comeau isnt afraid to go to the net like "Mason the pansy" is

Last edited by Isles_Guy*: 08-25-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old
08-25-2011, 11:40 PM
ProstheticConscience
not enough alcohol

Quote:
i'm not.

Ballard is actually a case of mind-bogglingly poor handling by the coach here. Seriously, we go up and down this one on a regular basis on the Canucks' board. He picked last year to develop the fragility that tends to afflict our blueline (we suspect it's something in the water) and he wound up as AV's whipping boy for reasons known only to AV. Okay, he didn't have some great moments but he's really needed here to mitigate the loss of Ehrhoff. And of course, his value's never been lower so trading him really makes zero sense.

Parent's just buried in the Canucks' system. Tanev soared past him in the depth chart and even Sauve looked better in the few games he played. I really have no idea if he'll ever see the light of NHL day as long as he's here. Trade value = draft pick...?

So in other words, hell yes to the OP.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
actually if their salaries were even id take Redden, he's not bad as a 3rd pairing guy its just his contract. by the time Parent left Philly his confidence was non existent, he needs to rebuild himself. When you make Bartulis look good by comparison, youre in trouble, and this from a guy who was willing to give a high 2nd for parent, I thought he had real promise, but he just lost all confidence in himself in Philly

he needs a strong veteran to help him find his game again, there's talent there, but he just doesnt seem to know it, Is there someone on the Canucks D that can help him? on the Isles I know Streit could
If Parent makes the Canucks roster he would likely be 3rd paring pared with Salo. So yes he would have a strong veteran partner and would not be forced into a high pressure top 4 role.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:24 AM
whoshouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Ballard is actually a case of mind-bogglingly poor handling by the coach here. Seriously, we go up and down this one on a regular basis on the Canucks' board. He picked last year to develop the fragility that tends to afflict our blueline (we suspect it's something in the water) and he wound up as AV's whipping boy for reasons known only to AV. Okay, he didn't have some great moments but he's really needed here to mitigate the loss of Ehrhoff. And of course, his value's never been lower so trading him really makes zero sense.

Parent's just buried in the Canucks' system. Tanev soared past him in the depth chart and even Sauve looked better in the few games he played. I really have no idea if he'll ever see the light of NHL day as long as he's here. Trade value = draft pick...?

So in other words, hell yes to the OP.
I agree with everything in this post but there is no way Sauve has looked better than Parent last year. Parent actually played well last season he just wasn't able to show it. Perhaps he'll be the 8th option for the Canucks this season.

whoshouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Sometimes players just learn to lose. He was always on a bad team before Vancouver and it looks like he might just not be a winner. He always seemed overrated IMO. I really doubt anyone trades for that contract after the way he shat the bed in the playoffs.

Wishart is a good prospect, the centerpiece of the Rolson deal iirc, so no he's not getting traded for a guy who cleared waivers just last year. Not only that Vancover already has 8 NHL contracts for d-men, add Tanev to the mix, and their just going to be forced to waive Wishart too.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:13 AM
Virtanev
+

Islanders get fleeced

Virtanev is offline   Reply With Quote