HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Semin coming over ....

Old
08-22-2011, 06:18 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
It's rather amazing to have some posters here compare Semin to Zherdev. You may not like Semin, but there's no comparsion, skill-wise (or point wise for that matter).
I wasn't comparing the skill level: I know Semin is a world-class player when he wants to be one.

I was comparing the inconsistency and lack of effort.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:24 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
I wasn't comparing the skill level: I know Semin is a world-class player when he wants to be one.

I was comparing the inconsistency and lack of effort.
How much evidence do you have of "lack of effort" other than being Russian and sometimes inconsistent? Lots of scorer are streaky that doesn't mean they don't "want" to be one"

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:27 AM
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
How much evidence do you have of "lack of effort" other than being Russian and sometimes inconsistent? Lots of scorer are streaky that doesn't mean they don't "want" to be one"
Well, watching him, you can see a blatant lack of urgency or care in his game. When he wants to be, he is a fantastic 3-zone player. But, he'll hover around the neutral/defensive zone for the majority of most of his shifts, not pay attention to defensive assignments, and dog it on the backcheck.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
Many posters here will be genuinly surprised when Parise is not a part of Rangers 2012.

Regarding Semin, one guy bashes him when he leaves the team and suddenly he ain't worth nothing? He's not the toughest player, but he sure got the skill. All player can't be passionate, hardass NA's like eh Drury...
3 firsts no. 1 st,2nd +prospect an conditional first if he resigns (which would mean he fits) yes.
I never like Semin to begin with. Bradley's claims only solidified my opinion of him. Sure he's talented but our team seems to work really well and we don't need a cancer in the locker room. I'd also prefer that we didn't trade our 1st pick next year considering there is a lot of talk about how deep the draft will be.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
I never like Semin to begin with. Bradley's claims only solidified my opinion of him. Sure he's talented but our team seems to work really well and we don't need a cancer in the locker room. I'd also prefer that we didn't trade our 1st pick next year considering there is a lot of talk about how deep the draft will be.
Doesn't matter if the draft is deep since we'll be the last one to pick anyway...

But honestly, if the price was a 1st,2nd and a decent prospect +conditional 1st (if resigns) wouldn't you do it?

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:54 AM
eco's bones

Matt Bradley overstates his case when he suggests Semin has the talent to be the best player in the league. He's never going to be on the same level as Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, the Sedin's and a handful of others.

Truthfully I wouldn't give up a whole lot to get him and the Rangers don't have anywhere near the cap space--they'd have to trade salary back--but I think there is a fairly decent chance that Semin going into his contract year is going to have a monster season. He might dog it a bit on the next contract for whoever is lucky enough to sign him or I think he's quite capable of going back to the KHL. The other unknown factor is Tortorella. To me there is too much uncertainty about this player to give up a lot of future for.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Doesn't matter if the draft is deep since we'll be the last one to pick anyway...

But honestly, if the price was a 1st,2nd and a decent prospect +conditional 1st (if resigns) wouldn't you do it?
I'm still going to have to pass. The team has really set up a nice identity and I'd rather not have Semin taint it. Also, the Caps are cup contenders. I doubt they would trade him for picks.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Chimp

Short answer, no. Alexandr Syomin is not a guy you have on the team when you want the cup. Sick talent with questionable drive.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
I'm still going to have to pass. The team has really set up a nice identity and I'd rather not have Semin taint it. Also, the Caps are cup contenders. I doubt they would trade him for picks.
Fair enough. Obviously it ain't happening for so many reasons. I just think he's undervalued in this thread. He's nowhere near my kind of player, but if the price was right he could be a major upgrade.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:27 AM
GAGLine

Quote:

No. How would we fit his cap hit? Even if Wolski were going the other way, we couldn't afford Semin.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:05 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

I do not want Semin wearing a Rangers jersey. EVER. He is not worthy. Torts would hang him halfway into his first preseason game.

Besides, even if I did want him, it would take a miracle to fit his 6.7m cap hit under the cap.

We'd need to send Zucc and Wolski AT LEAST, for a deal to work and even then its rather close.

We only have around 1 mil in cap space and the cap is expected to be going down under the new CBA.

I'd much rather stick with what we've got right now and re-evaluate this scenario next summer.

Enough with overpaid superstars. We saw how it worked out previously, why hamstring the team in the future when we can bring up homegrown talent at a much cheaper cost?

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:13 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiva View Post
Meh.. not really. We could do better. I don't want Kovalev Jr on the team. Would want to wait and see how the situation turns out with the players on our team right now. Someone might just take it to that extra level, if not we could possibly go after Parise next year, unlikely as that may be.
I would take Kovalev in his prime over any current Rangers forward with the possible exception of Richards.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:17 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I would take Kovalev in his prime over any current Rangers forward with the possible exception of Richards.
i would too. we still havent drafted an offensive player close to his skill (that we know of). but i think he was talking more in terms of no heart.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:18 AM
MSG the place to be*

Cap world means limited number of high-priced players that a team can have.

In the immediate future we will have room for one more high-priced guy (6M+) using Drury, Wolski and Avery money.

Semin should not be that guy.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:20 AM
gotmonte

Guys, DO YOU HONESTLY BELIEVE WE WILL GET PARISE?!??!

He signed a one year contract because the time ran out. Listening to him on XM 92 NHL channel it sounds like he really wants to resign with the Devils long term, they just ran out of time is all.

If you guys think we will get Parise, I hate to see what this forum will look/sound like next year when he resigns long term.

You think Lam' will allow him to just walk away or trade him? 26 year old STAR you dont let go. If he is willing to sign, you sign him.

And we all know NOW that Lou if he thinks you will put butts in the seat, he will spend more than the league will allow you to just to keep you around. Kovalchuk and Paris are not too far apart.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Guys, DO YOU HONESTLY BELIEVE WE WILL GET PARISE?!??!

He signed a one year contract because the time ran out. Listening to him on XM 92 NHL channel it sounds like he really wants to resign with the Devils long term, they just ran out of time is all.

If you guys think we will get Parise, I hate to see what this forum will look/sound like next year when he resigns long term.

You think Lam' will allow him to just walk away or trade him? 26 year old STAR you dont let go. If he is willing to sign, you sign him.

And we all know NOW that Lou if he thinks you will put butts in the seat, he will spend more than the league will allow you to just to keep you around. Kovalchuk and Paris are not too far apart.
I guess it depends on how the Devils do next year. I have a gut feeling he's going to Vancouver next year. I hope not, since we could really use him on our 1st line.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Semin is a tremendous player, and in my opinion he has the best wrist shot in the league. However, he's the antithesis of what the current group of Rangers is all about -- i.e. hard work, dedication, mental toughness, etc.

It always baffled me that a guy could be best friends with Alex Ovechkin, and never pick up any of the drive or intensity that AO plays with.

Not a chance I'd ship off a bunch of 1st rounders for him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

I would not want this guy even if he was on waivers. Soft lazy no heart no thanks...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:04 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

We're not getting Parise. There's no way we're affording him.

We need to focus on the plan B type of guys, and if Semin was that guy (for the right price) i'd be fine with that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
We're not getting Parise. There's no way we're affording him.

We need to focus on the plan B type of guys, and if Semin was that guy (for the right price) i'd be fine with that.
thing is, he is going to either get paid big bucks or go back home.

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Semin is a tremendous player, and in my opinion he has the best wrist shot in the league. However, he's the antithesis of what the current group of Rangers is all about -- i.e. hard work, dedication, mental toughness, etc.

It always baffled me that a guy could be best friends with Alex Ovechkin, and never pick up any of the drive or intensity that AO plays with.

Not a chance I'd ship off a bunch of 1st rounders for him.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
thing is, he is going to either get paid big bucks or go back home.
Possible, which makes Semin one of the guys I don't go for right away.

BUT, if he can be had for the right price, I absolutely take him.

My first choice personally is to go for Shane Doan at the deadline if (when) the Yotes are out of contention. In the off-season, that's when things get tricky with cap space and whatnot.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:21 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
i would too. we still havent drafted an offensive player close to his skill (that we know of). but i think he was talking more in terms of no heart.
Kovalev had a ton of heart. I might question his smarts at times.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Possible, which makes Semin one of the guys I don't go for right away.

BUT, if he can be had for the right price, I absolutely take him.

My first choice personally is to go for Shane Doan at the deadline if (when) the Yotes are out of contention. In the off-season, that's when things get tricky with cap space and whatnot.
Yeah I agree, I would take a flyer on Doan, depends on the price though.

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:25 PM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Haven't we learned our lesson? NO WAY do I want this guy on my team. We are headed in the right direction, and AWAY from overpriced floaters that rarely play to their potential.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote