HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Pegula's not backing off stated goal

Old
08-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Pegula's not backing off stated goal

Quote:
Two weeks ago, during a meeting with management, Sabres owner Terry Pegula took the floor to make something clear. He wasn't backing away from his obsession to win the Stanley Cup by any means, but also he didn't want his people sweating over their futures if they flopped early in the season.
Quote:
In fact, he was in the midst of soothing his troops and explaining he had no demands about winning now when Sabres coach Lindy Ruff interrupted him with a message of his own.

"Lindy cut me off," Pegula said with a laugh the other day by telephone. "He said, 'No, Terry, we do have to win now. You know what? Winning now is good. That's not bad, Terry, that's good. And we need to know that.'"

Amen, Lindy.
Quote:
"If we come out of the chute 0-9 this year, everybody is going to be going skitzoid," Pegula said. "But you gotta believe you're not an 0-9 team, and it will get better. You can't have the Sword of Damocles hanging over the players, coaches and everybody's head. You have to stick with the team."

The Sabres aren't going to start the season as the NHL's best team. They don't have overwhelming talent, the most depth or even the top goaltender. Just know that they aren't far away, either. They will enter the season just as capable of winning it all as any other team
Quote:
"I've heard some comments, 'It's time to put up or shut up. You say you want to win and all this stuff,'" Pegula said. "Well, isn't that why every team should exist? I don't think we're special. Everybody, and I don't care what sport you're in, you're supposed to do your best to try to win."
Quote:
Pegula on Regehr: "Buffalo is going to love him. He's a leader, just a class act."
Quote:
On Ehrhoff: "He was good enough to be voted defenseman of the year three years in a row on that team [in Vancouver]. We're really excited about having him join us."
Quote:
On Leino: "One of his coaches said he was the hardest-working player ever to come out of Finland. He's the kind of guy you have to have on your team to win Stanley Cups."
Quote:
On all three: "One thing I like about these guys is that they all lost in a Game Seven of the Stanley Cup finals. That has to be pretty good motivation for them."
Quote:
"One of the things we wanted was some respect. A lot of the other organizations are looking at us now and saying, 'These guys mean business.'"
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle528785.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Kc232
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
On all three: "One thing I like about these guys is that they all lost in a Game Seven of the Stanley Cup finals. That has to be pretty good motivation for them."
Never really thought of that. This team is going to have major thirst to win, and win big this season. I can't wait.

Kc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

This season needs to start already.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc232 View Post
Never really thought of that. This team is going to have major thirst to win, and win big this season. I can't wait.
Same here - that's an interesting factoid.

Great quotes coming out of that article.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:09 AM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc232 View Post
leino did not lose in a game 7 in the finals...

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
leino did not lose in a game 7 in the finals...
Was he with Philly at that point?

Old
08-22-2011, 10:12 AM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Was he with Philly at that point?
blackhawks won the cup in 6 games...

Old
08-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Clock

Quote:
blackhawks won the cup in 6 games...
I'm talking about the 09 Pens win over Detroit. Terry's right, Leino was still with the Wings at that point and played in the finals.

Old
08-22-2011, 10:21 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
I'm talking about the 09 Pens win over Detroit. Terry's right.
He only played in 7 games for Detroit that playoffs. Not sure if he was on the ice for any of those or not.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:21 AM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
I'm talking about the 09 Pens win over Detroit.
he was a healthy scratch in game 7, and appeared in only 7 playoff games for detroit that season.

Old
08-22-2011, 10:22 AM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
I'm talking about the 09 Pens win over Detroit. Terry's right.
no... leino was a healthy scratch in game 7 and only played 7 games for the wings total over that playoff run... terry is wrong.

Old
08-22-2011, 10:26 AM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
I'm talking about the 09 Pens win over Detroit. Terry's right, Leino was still with the Wings at that point and played in the finals.

leino did not play in the cup final past game 4 and only appeared in 7 games total for the wings over that playoff....

Old
08-22-2011, 11:05 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
leino did not play in the cup final past game 4 and only appeared in 7 games total for the wings over that playoff....
He was still a part of the team. You think he wouldn't have enjoyed it had they won the 7th game?

He felt the loss as a part of the team. Good call, Pegs.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:09 AM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
He was still a part of the team. You think he wouldn't have enjoyed it had they won the 7th game?

that's a bit of a stretch. could anyone justify the signing of jeff tambellini by saying "well his team lost in game 7 of the SCF." yeah, and he was watching from the press box.

and leino was scratched for games 5, 6, and 7.... really not a good example to use.

Old
08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

I'm also glad he's trying to reel in some of our fans' expectations. We sometimes get a little "all or nothing" and I'm afraid of the ramifications if we don't come out of the gate as the MOST AMAZING TEAM EVER.

I'm with Terry. Every team wants to be the best, but it's definitely obvious that this year, we mean business.

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
that's a bit of a stretch. could anyone justify the signing of jeff tambellini by saying "well his team lost in game 7 of the SCF." yeah, and he was watching from the press box.

and leino was scratched for games 5, 6, and 7.... really not a good example to use.
You really must like arguing for the sake of arguing. Leino was on a team that was two wins away from a Cup. Maybe Pegula should have said all of our new players have lost in the Cup Finals before so they're hungry. The point he was trying to make is still the same.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

Right - he was a team member who was with the organization during the run, that's all the info I was looking for.

Old
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

This argument seems a little nitpicky.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
I'm also glad he's trying to reel in some of our fans' expectations. We sometimes get a little "all or nothing" and I'm afraid of the ramifications if we don't come out of the gate as the MOST AMAZING TEAM EVER..
In a rare moment of lucidity, the WGR morning crew noted in their interview with Sullivan that, while no one will be necessarily happy if the team is sitting in 8th place in December or have a .500 record, what really counts is where the team is at in April in order to fulfill Pegula's mission of playoff success. Even Sullivan conceded that it may take some time for the roster to gel with the new additions, although his personal take was that he thinks the team "will be really good".

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
You really must like arguing for the sake of arguing. Leino was on a team that was two wins away from a Cup. Maybe Pegula should have said all of our new players have lost in the Cup Finals before so they're hungry. The point he was trying to make is still the same.
he was a fringe player on that team. this is revisionist history. it is tantamount to saying "we signed rory fitzpatrick because he was on a really good sabres team in 2006."

sure, leino is better than rory, but he had very little to do with that red wing team's success. he played in 13 regular season games and 7 playoff games... the point he was trying to make is not the same.

Old
08-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
he was a fringe player on that team. this is revisionist history. it is tantamount to saying "we signed rory fitzpatrick because he was on a really good sabres team in 2006."

sure, leino is better than rory, but he had very little to do with that red wing team's success. he played in 13 regular season games and 7 playoff games... the point he was trying to make is not the same.
Yea, but he did make it to a game 6 OT game. That's pretty close to the same. He also put up 21 pts in 19 games. He wasn't a fringe player that year.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:

This doesn't have to with him being a part of a really good team. It has to do with the fact that he came close tasting the ultimate victory. It makes people thirsty.

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:00 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Yea, but he did make it to a game 6 OT game. That's pretty close to the same. He also put up 21 pts in 19 games. He wasn't a fringe player that year.
that i will not argue with. he had a great playoffs that year. however i think it is ridiculous to act or think that leino was a key part of the 09 red wings squad. and it doesn't matter if the team almost won. if any of us here went onto another team's board and saw them talking about how they were happy to get novotny or paille or fitzpatrick because they were on sabres teams that went to two ECFs, we would point out how ridiculous that is.

however, if they pointed out paille was a regular contributor on a team that just won the stanley cup, that would sound less ridiculous...

and PK -- he basically had a cup of coffee with the red wings in 09. i don't think he was getting a thirst for victory so much as he was battling to stay in the league..

Old
08-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Digable5

Quote:

I think your mistake is in the bolded. "We signed BECAUSE...". Terry's point about the Cup Finals isn't giving the reason why we signed them. He's stating why they would be extra hungry to win and get back to the Cup Finals to finish what they started in a sense.

We signed them because they've been good players for good teams. Their motivation to win a Cup after being as close as they have, is just icing on the cake.

Last edited by Digable5: 08-22-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:23 PM
joshjull

--DO NOT derail this thread with more nitpicking technicalities.----

Its certainly not what the OP had in mind when he started this thread.

Carry on....

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote