HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

HF Top 50 - How Many Sens?

Old
08-24-2011, 07:19 AM
MoreGore

vCash: 500
HF Top 50 - How Many Sens?

I think it is safe to say that at least 3 Sens will be on the top 50, but there are 2 more that might make it, and 1 that I think could but is a long shot, especially considering this is the tougher top 50 to crack given the introduction of the recent draft picks.

Sure bets for me are Rundblad, Zibanejad and Cowen. The possibles are Filatov and Lehner, while the longshot is Silfverberg.

Filatov was 25th and was falling even before the trade. I doubt he makes this list, but if you go by talent and opportunity, ignoring the trade and not weighing the bust issue too high, he could slip in near 45 or so.

Lehner will be in tough to make the top 50, but being the AHL playoff MVP is quite impressive. So, I think he will slot in around 40 or so.

Silfverberg will not make this list, but he would likely come in around 70 or so and unless he is injured, he should make the top 50 for the spring edition.

Here are my guesses:

Rundblad 6th (was 5th)
Zibanejad 21st (new to Top 50)
Cowen 24th (was 18th)
Lehner 40th (new to top 50)
-----
Filatov : off, was 25th
Silfverberg: not yet, but see ya in the spring :p

Anybody else want to guess?

Last edited by MoreGore: 08-25-2011 at 06:58 PM.
MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Anca18

vCash: 200
Why would Rrundblad and Cowen both slide?

Ekman-Larsson is likely going to graduate along with Bernier and Scheen. Rundblad likely won't and bounce back and forth between the NHL and AHL until making the NHL for the 2nd half of the season.

I also don't understand why Cowen would fall, he's just getting better and better. But I don't expect Cowen to make the mid-season rankings or whenever HF does them. He will likely be a top 15 prospect in the upcoming edition.

Anca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker5123 View Post
Why would Rrundblad and Cowen both slide?

Ekman-Larsson is likely going to graduate along with Bernier and Scheen. Rundblad likely won't and bounce back and forth between the NHL and AHL until making the NHL for the 2nd half of the season.

I also don't understand why Cowen would fall, he's just getting better and better. But I don't expect Cowen to make the mid-season rankings or whenever HF does them. He will likely be a top 15 prospect in the upcoming edition.
I'd expect RNH to be in the top 5, so Rundblad sliding isn't really an issue. Same thing for Cowen. It's not that their performance has dropped rather than new prospects entering the fray.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Anca18

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
I'd expect RNH to be in the top 5, so Rundblad sliding isn't really an issue. Same thing for Cowen. It's not that their performance has dropped rather than new prospects entering the fray.
That's true, but Cowen and Rundblad are years ahead of them development wise and I honestly see them as better prospect atm.

Anca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:39 AM
MoreGore

As mentioned above, the new 2011 draft picks will be slotted into the Spring list to become the Fall list. Since there are only a few guys that graduate from Spring to Fall (most graduate after the Fall list) I was simply esitimating where the new kids get plopped into the top 50 list. This explains why some guys get pushed down a bit.

I think Lehner did enough to warrant a top 50 appearance.

Take a shot, make a guess, put your best skate forward

Old
08-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
I could see Puempel getting a look too. Not to mention Bobby Butler.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Xspyrit

lol if Lehner isn't a top-50 prospect.

What he did this year is impressive, he even had better stats than Carey Price, who was a HF top-5 prospect back then. Only 4 loss and a 0.939 SV% vs 6 loss and 0.936 SV% for Price. Hamilton didn't have a decimated blue-line in their playoff run. Lehner had to work with a depleted defense.

He is the 2nd youngest goalie (and player) to ever win the AHL MVP trophy. Just 3 weeks older than Carey Price

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:58 AM
The Fuhr

-people get way to caught up in rankings... been guilty myself in the past.

If the player is good he will be good regardless of where he is ranked... so many great NHL'ers were not even considered top prospects by the experts.

Guys like Tobias Enstrom, Joe Pavelski, Jamie Benn, etc... even a nobody like Craig Smith not even on the radar for top prospects could score 20-25 goals next year as a rookie.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Xspyrit

I will never understand the lack of recognition and hype for Tobias Enstrom. He is not as flashy as Karlsson but he is what I want Karlsson to become, a solid 2-way D-man who puts up points despite lacking size. He doesn't have the superstar syndrome that Karlsson has though. Going to Winnipeg should help a bit in that regard

And Craig Smith... never heard of him. Should I be ashamed lol? Isn't he going to the AHL?

Aren't you going overboard ala Daugavins on this one?

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:13 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
The rankings are usually pretty awful.

That being said, Rundblad should be top 3.

Lehner top 20.

Cowen top 15.

Silfverberg gets no respect so I doubt he is on the list, but Imo he should be top 30.

Zibanejad should be top 40.

My guess? 1 or 2 guys are on the list and it will be bad. Like Rundblad 13th, and Cowen 47th. Something ridiculous like that...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:15 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post

If the player is good he will be good regardless of where he is ranked... so many great NHL'ers were not even considered top prospects by the experts.

Guys like Tobias Enstrom, Joe Pavelski, Jamie Benn, etc... even a nobody like Craig Smith not even on the radar for top prospects could score 20-25 goals next year as a rookie.
Doesn't he have another year in College hockey? And I would assume that Nashville has him spending some time in the AHL first..

Old
08-25-2011, 11:16 AM
The Fuhr

I am a big fan of the K-Daug but I have never had him as a top prospect league wide... huge fan of his though.

I watched Craig Smith last year during the NCAA season and he was flat out awesome... his physical game and great hands... then he made Team USA for the WHC where he was put on a line with Stepan and Wheeler and was one of the most dangerous players.

Preds then convinced him to turn pro and skip out on his final year in the NCAA because they felt he was ready.

Compares to a Drury/Pavelski type... a nobody in the prospect world and yet his career will be as good if not better then many of the guys who are listed as league wide top prospects

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 01:56 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Didn't know that he has skipped out of his final NCAA season...

THN has Smith outside of thier top 10 prospects...

Preds boards has Smith ranked #7, and interestingly the player the Preds chose with our Karlsson pick in 2008, Chet Pickard, ranked outside thier top 17...

Juts goes to show ya how great of a mind Murray is at the draft table...

Old
08-25-2011, 02:16 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

I'm gonna use my unbiased opinion and say 14. 14 Senators on the top 50.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Manny*

Don't be surprised if Zibanejad lands outside the top 50.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:34 PM
MoreGore

Quote:

True, but it is generally accurate. A guy like Benn had to come from a long way back of the pack to make the top 50 list, which he did. He was number 50 right before he graduated. The super-fast risers can get missed due to the lack of frequency of the update.

There is also the Legacy problem, where high drafted players remain on the list simply due to talent. Filatov was last at 25......

Old
08-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
The rankings are usually pretty awful.

That being said, Rundblad should be top 3.

Lehner top 20.

Cowen top 15.

Silfverberg gets no respect so I doubt he is on the list, but Imo he should be top 30.

Zibanejad should be top 40.

My guess? 1 or 2 guys are on the list and it will be bad. Like Rundblad 13th, and Cowen 47th. Something ridiculous like that...
will be somewhere in between the two examples you showed...a tad closer to the latter.

My guess

Rundblad Top 5

Cowen 20-25

Lehner 35-40

Zibanejad 40-50

And if so, I'd say it's pretty fair/expected.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:

Agreed, let's stop being offended when we feel our prospects are underrated and, instead, we can be proud when they overachieve.

Even better, let's stop being offended when we're only guessing that we will feel that our prospects will have been underrated.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 04:37 PM
YellowPrelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Don't be surprised if Zibanejad lands outside the top 50.
Zibanejad is SOOO underrated around here, ppl forget he was rank and drafted in the top 10 of this years draft.

YellowPrelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPrelude View Post
Zibanejad is SOOO underrated around here, ppl forget he was rank and drafted in the top 10 of this years draft.
I love Zibanejad. I don't expect many people to take notice, though, until he shows that he can dominate offensively. If he puts together a good SEL season he'll definitely be top-50 material.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPrelude View Post
Nah I don't forget, just a couple months ago .

It's just the reality of being an 18 year old 6th overall, and he was a wilcard 6th overall. He'll climb that pretty quick if he doesn't make the NHL this year. I'm pretty high on the guy.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:17 PM
SensArePrettyPesky
No respek.

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
I'm gonna use my unbiased opinion and say 14. 14 Senators on the top 50.
Seems legit.

SensArePrettyPesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Iamok
#Panic

I'll go with 3. It should be atleast 4, but I've got a feeling it'll be 3.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:56 PM
MoreGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post
Agreed, let's stop being offended when we feel our prospects are underrated and, instead, we can be proud when they overachieve.

Even better, let's stop being offended when we're only guessing that we will feel that our prospects will have been underrated.
I don't think it is wrong to be offended if we are truly underrated, if there is no feedback, how will they know?

The important thing to do, is to back it up, and in this case, it was quite possible to do exactly that.

If I am correct as to the reasoning behind the ranking, it is simply an issue of methodology. If they use the methodology I think they are, Ottawa will come in around 8th for the fall ranking, quite possibly lower.

I consider this website to be the best at what they do, but IMO their flagship article needs a bit of work. If your feedback/criticism is reasonable, then they should be prepared to listen.

Old
08-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Afro Thunder*

Shouldnt Rundblad be ranked number 1 as he has already been voted as the best prospect by the same site?

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote