HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Gill replaces Schneider on Team USA - TSN

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
i'm really not. hal gill is the worst thing that could have happened to the US's chances. it's like conceding defeat

i don't get it

Yeah, he was so horrible he was able to earn a bronze medal with the U.S. team at the World Championships..... Somehow I put a little more creedence in the decision making process of a NHL general manager than some "fan" on the internet.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 08-12-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old
08-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
Laugh, if Russia weren't in the same pool the US team would be a shoo-in for last.
Why? I doubt you'll be able to come up with an intelligent answer, but I'm willing to wait.

Old
08-12-2004, 10:19 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Why? I doubt you'll be able to come up with an intelligent answer, but I'm willing to wait.
It's like clockwork.

Last edited by colonel_korn: 08-12-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old
08-12-2004, 10:52 AM
mcfara

this is not good for the US...not good at all. they need all the defense they can get to help out that shaky goaltending

adam
http://www.sportslizard.com

Old
08-12-2004, 01:10 PM
ktownhockey

Quote:
It's a good thing your opinion carries no weight with those that count where the World Cup is concerned. We get it, you're a fan of Canada, and every other team pales in comparison. The U.S. is not "hurting as is", and will be just fine.
That;s not necessarily true. I think he just feels that Carney, or even Mara for that matter would have been smarter choices given the skill level at this tournament.

Hal Gill is an average NHL dman in my mind. He does his job get a few point by getting the puck on net, and he fights pretty well. For his size his mobility is alright, but not up there with the other dmen who will be patrolling the bluelines for most of the other countries.

I don;t think it's a comment like " Canada's the best none of your D would make our team" , I think it's more like " Hal Gill sucks (which is his personal opinion)".

I think Carney should be there personally, but hey what would I know I'm only a Canadian hockey fan!

Old
08-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Teezax

Hal Gill? For Christ Sakes man, thank God i'm Canadian, never have to worry about depth!

Old
08-12-2004, 01:26 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhockey
That;s not necessarily true. I think he just feels that Carney, or even Mara for that matter would have been smarter choices given the skill level at this tournament.

Hal Gill is an average NHL dman in my mind. He does his job get a few point by getting the puck on net, and he fights pretty well. For his size his mobility is alright, but not up there with the other dmen who will be patrolling the bluelines for most of the other countries.

I don;t think it's a comment like " Canada's the best none of your D would make our team" , I think it's more like " Hal Gill sucks (which is his personal opinion)".

I think Carney should be there personally, but hey what would I know I'm only a Canadian hockey fan!
it's a combination of my understanding that Paul Mara and Keith Carney are superior to Hal Gill and the fact that I think (and have thought for many years) that Hal Gill sucks.

Old
08-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Raimo Sillanpää

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
it's a combination of my understanding that Paul Mara and Keith Carney are superior to Hal Gill and the fact that I think (and have thought for many years) that Hal Gill sucks.
Paul Mara was very impressive at the World Championships, and he would suit team usa better.

Old
08-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
It's a good thing your opinion carries no weight with those that count where the World Cup is concerned. We get it, you're a fan of Canada, and every other team pales in comparison. The U.S. is not "hurting as is", and will be just fine.
Are you sure about that? Yes its true that I'm a Canadian but I'll admit that in '96 and '98 USA had a better core of defense than Canada's team. But I'm only stating the facts man! Our weak link on defense might be Regehr or Brewer. And neither of them may play a lot.

After Leetch USA is looking pretty cold I'd say. Chelios is 42 and Hatcher isnt what he was once either. Every other d man on that team is weak in some area. Hey the game is played on the ice I'll admit, but with that defence Esche might be seeing 40 shots from Canada or Sweden even. Let's just say he wont stop nearly all of them.

Old
08-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Are you sure about that? Yes its true that I'm a Canadian but I'll admit that in '96 and '98 USA had a better core of defense than Canada's team. But I'm only stating the facts man! Our weak link on defense might be Regehr or Brewer. And neither of them may play a lot.

After Leetch USA is looking pretty cold I'd say. Chelios is 42 and Hatcher isnt what he was once either. Every other d man on that team is weak in some area. Hey the game is played on the ice I'll admit, but with that defence Esche might be seeing 40 shots from Canada or Sweden even. Let's just say he wont stop nearly all of them.

I'm done with this thread. If you think the U.S. defense is horrible, so be it. IMO, the blueline assembled will be able to manage quite well on the NHL sized ice surface. Cheers!

Old
08-14-2004, 12:53 PM
Gary

GIlls whole defensive side was slow as mollasses, Julien realized it, and prayed on the Bruins' weekness...If the other pairings were'nt the same, it would'nt have looked so bad. it's okay to get beat sometimes along the boards but when you got him, odonell, and mcgillis all on the same side and put have your fastest forwards on their side of the ice-well, you saw the results. What was exposed was a fundemental flaw in Bostons defense that wasnt rectified by rookie coach sullivan...neither did he get koivu away from thornton, and played Joe WAAAYYY too much for a guy with that serious of a injury. So Gill was one of three broken teeth on a gear...but with proper linemates and expectations-when he's allowed to simplify and not expected to be the 'go-to' guy he excels pretty damn well IMO.

Old
08-14-2004, 01:25 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhockey
Hal Gill is an average NHL dman in my mind. He does his job get a few point by getting the puck on net, and he fights pretty well.
last fight i saw gill in, chara turned him into a flailing sissy. i like gill, and i think he gets a bad rep b/c of guys like st.louis making him look silly, but he's definitely not a good fighter. he protects his teammates, and will drop em, but he's one of the worst fighters in the league IMO. that said, i'm glad he's getting a chance to play with the best of the best.

Old
08-14-2004, 02:00 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

As was mentioned before, it's quite possibly Carney declined the invitation in order to rest. The former NHL Ironman seemed to have something nagging him all year long (and not just the wife and kids)

Old
08-14-2004, 03:28 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
last fight i saw gill in, chara turned him into a flailing sissy. i like gill, and i think he gets a bad rep b/c of guys like st.louis making him look silly, but he's definitely not a good fighter. he protects his teammates, and will drop em, but he's one of the worst fighters in the league IMO. that said, i'm glad he's getting a chance to play with the best of the best.
I think Chara could pretty much turn most people into flailing sissies.

Old
08-15-2004, 12:36 PM
bert

I think people shouldnt count the USA out so much they are going to have games in there own backyard and they have alot of experience. There are more proven playoff battled vets on USA then any other team they will get the job done.

I do have to second alot of people around here the addition of Hal Gill is very confusing considering the speed and explosiveness of Russia, Canada and Slovakia. They might be the three fastest teams in the tournament I hope we dont see Gill in the top 6.

Carney must have declined there is no other explanation.

Old
08-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_man
There's still Sweden man.
Goaltending will make the difference.

Closed Thread