There goes next season!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
09-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Loffer

vCash: 500
No trolling. I am just a little bit disappointed after initial excitement about this talent (due to "lacrosse scoop"). I have watched all the highlights and related stuff many times and as far as I can see he is good in PP, shootouts (smooth Forsberg move) and skilled enough to be good on European level of hockey but he lacks all that flashy aspect of game typical to all imposing players and goal scorers. I just don't see that NHL star potential in him. I would be more thrilled about, say, Sami Vatanen in this regards.

Old
09-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well the whole skating in the dirty areas to draw defenders and then making passes right on the tape says he should have some success in NA. If all he was doing was dangling and making lacrosse moves I'd be worried.

Old
09-22-2011, 04:46 PM
urho

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Well, I just don't get it.
Just 1 goal in 3 games!! That's horrible! Yeah, you just don't get it

Well, it's obviously trolling but I'll answer the argument you put out here because I know that kind of thinking exists. Granlund is a faster than average skater nowadays. Lack of intensity? What the hell? He's one of the most passionate and fearsome hockeyplayer I've seen in person.

For me it'd be a huge disappointment if he doesn't make it in the NHL. He looks like a surebet right now, the skills he has are exceptional in many ways. He has always taken "the next step" when he has had to, from juniors to men's league at the age of 17, from fairly good men's league to international games at the age of 19 (PPG-player against NHL-level players).

"Raports" of that game: forum-posts on Jatkoaika.com, journalists of various medias... You know, points aren't the whole game.

Old
09-22-2011, 04:47 PM
YARR123

Quote:
No trolling. I am just a little bit disappointed after initial excitement about this talent (due to "lacrosse scoop"). I have watched all the highlights and related stuff many times and as far as I can see he is good in PP, shootouts (smooth Forsberg move) and skilled enough to be good on European level of hockey but he lacks all that flashy aspect of game typical to all imposing players and goal scorers. I just don't see that NHL star potential in him. I would be more thrilled about, say, Sami Vatanen in this regards.
1) You're just watching higlights

2) He's scored 7 points in 3 games which is 2,33 points/game

3) He's been a beast overall, throwing hits, stealing pucks, giving great passes, scoring 2 goals (one touched a players jersey on the way, I count that as his goal)

4) How can you make that assessment that he's good only for european hockey by just watching highlights?

5) You're just watching highlights

6) jesus

Old
09-22-2011, 05:02 PM
EkiE

Thing for me why im not so high on him atm is that he seems too good to be true and im thinking all the time: where's the catcH? Finnish high-end talent? ROFL gtfo!

Old
09-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Loffer

If you compare MG's style and outlook to such "mediocre" young Russian players like Kabanov or Burmistrov (# 8 th pick 2010), you see my point. Just watch some youtube videos. Those talents are imposing players with tremendous skill set and speed compared to MG's inferior skills and speed. You can see it instantly watching short clips of their moves and skating. Granlund lacks that flashy aspect and thus capability to score goals on the highest level of the game. Yet, Burmistrov totalled only 20 points (6 g + 14 a) during his rookie season. A relatively modest figure given the obvious talent. So, what to expect from Granlund in his rookie season as a 2 nd line center (i assume)? Hardly more than that. PPG in his prime would be pretty optimistic expectation. I just cannot see that MG could make it in the NHL. Obviously this last step from Europe to NA is a little too big to take given his limitations and weaknesses.

Old
09-22-2011, 05:27 PM
urho

vCash: 728
Quote:
Just watch some youtube videos.
This is getting ridiculous.

Old
09-22-2011, 05:32 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
If you compare MG's style and outlook to such "mediocre" young Russian players like Kabanov or Burmistrov (# 8 th pick 2010), you see my point. Just watch some youtube videos. Those talents are imposing players with tremendous skill set and speed compared to MG's inferior skills and speed. You can see it instantly watching short clips of their moves and skating. Granlund lacks that flashy aspect and thus capability to score goals on the highest level of the game. Yet, Burmistrov totalled only 20 points (6 g + 14 a) during his rookie season. A relatively modest figure given the obvious talent. So, what to expect from Granlund in his rookie season as a 2 nd line center (i assume)? Hardly more than that. PPG in his prime would be pretty optimistic expectation. I just cannot see that MG could make it in the NHL. Obviously this last step from Europe to NA is a little too big to take given his limitations and weaknesses.
There is more to hockey than short clips. Granlund is putting up numbers in SM-Liiga as an 18 and 19 year-old which no one has and has held his own against NHLers in the World Championships. Can he bust? Yes. But I'm happy with his development and growth as a player.

Old
09-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Flash is nice, but there have been many players with high hockey IQ, vision, hands, all attributes that describe Granlund, who have had massive careers, while many a flash guy end up on the Robby Shremp/Nikolai Zherdev dustheap of flops.

The boy has yet to turn 20. What kind of player will he be at 26?

Old
09-22-2011, 05:49 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
so hard not to post troll arguments in that Granlund/RNH thread. So very hard. The irony is neck deep in there.

Old
09-22-2011, 06:25 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Guess there's at least one person out there who thinks similarly to the way I do about Granlund. I really don't see the star potential either. Just a "really good" potential instead, which he will probably attain. I see more of a complementary player rather than the catalyst. He's not a guy I would pin a franchise's hopes to, but he's a nice piece to it.

Old
09-22-2011, 06:30 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Who's said he's going to be star in this league? I don't think any Wild fan has stated as much. Nor have I seen anyone go above and beyond the hope for him that you just laid out...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
09-22-2011, 06:33 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Who's said he's going to be star in this league? I don't think any Wild fan has stated as much. Nor have I seen anyone go above and beyond the hope for him that you just laid out...
"Star potential" and "going to be a star" are two different things.

The way the Wild fan base has talked up Granlund on HF, "star potential" is certainly in play for some posters, even if it hasn't been specifically said.

Old
09-22-2011, 06:37 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
"Star potential" and "going to be a star" are two different things.

The way the Wild fan base has talked up Granlund on HF, "star potential" is certainly in play for some posters, even if it hasn't been specifically said.
you are absolutely correct. Look no further than the threads concerned with HF prospect grades. Still, he does have the potential (based on his play, taking into account relative age/competition vs most prospects out there right now) so what's wrong with clinging to the idea?

Old
09-22-2011, 06:38 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Shocker here. Some members of a fan base wants their top prospect to hit his absolute top end potential. Please.

Old
09-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Nino Noderreiter

Loffer you do realize the higher the level you get to the less being flashy works. Get to the net and the high traffic areas and protect the puck. Combine that with good vision and you have yourself a potential star. You don't need to "dangle" around 3 guys...you will be a lot more successful if you just pass to the open guy or put a shot on net instead of trying to be a one-man-team.

There aren't very many Ovechkins and Datsuyks in the league who can just walk around everyone like it's no big deal. I don't think anyone is claiming that Granlund will be a 100 point player or anything. However, I do think 25 goals 55 assists seasons will be plentiful. (That is combined with great 2-way play.)

Superstar? No. Star. For sure.

Old
09-22-2011, 07:30 PM
FVM
Effin' Voodoo Magic

Quote:
This is quite an interesting argument actually. I agree about your observation: Granlund does not possess that most eye catching flashy aspect in his skill set or skating like, say, Ovechkin has. What he does possess is vision and sense of the game at the absolute highest level. He also has very smooth hands, respectable skating stride and willingness to play the physical game too.

How does this show on the practical level? It shows in his progression: Granlund has always made the jump to higher competition very early, and there were always people who were sure he wouldn't succeed at the next level, due to those perceived weaknesses that you brought up. But it never happened. From juniors to SM-liiga, from SM-liiga to World Championships he has never looked out of place. On the contrary, when facing tougher competition and higher stakes in the playoffs and tournaments, he even steps his game up. This is a proof of his great hockey mind: he simply knows how to play the game, it comes naturally to him, he is never overwhelmed. He makes passes that you have never seen before, he draws defenders into him and dishes the puck to the exact right spot, he slows the game down and waits until there is the perfect passing lane, he skates into areas others don't and creates plays no one even thought of.

Unfortunately I never got to see Gretzky playing in his prime. But all the material I have seen of him and read about him brings up a similar quality: despite never being physically impressive or flashy in his skillset, he did things on the ice no one else even thought about. Goals and passes that left you wondering what just happened. Granlund has this exact same quality. I cringe bringing up the Great One's name in this discussion, because it's unfair to compare anyone to him. Granlund will not break his records. But there is this similarity about them that just can't be ignored.

Other thing why I have so much faith in Granlund is his burning desire to improve, improve in all aspects of his game. Watching his interviews and the way he carries himself just oozes of that perfectionist flame, hunger of becoming the best player he can be. He is very humble and first to admit there are many things he can improve, but he's also very determined and passionate, in his reserved way. The combination of that silent strength and pure joy of playing is what will make him one of the greats. Only thing that can possibly hold him down is injury. Other than that I am thrilled and confident to see him make his mark in this league.

Old
09-22-2011, 07:36 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Probably shouldn't be throwing Gretzky's name out there. But other than that, I enjoyed reading the opinion.

Old
09-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Guess there's at least one person out there who thinks similarly to the way I do about Granlund. I really don't see the star potential either. Just a "really good" potential instead, which he will probably attain. I see more of a complementary player rather than the catalyst. He's not a guy I would pin a franchise's hopes to, but he's a nice piece to it.
A "really good" player would be more than enough for me out of a 9th overall pick. However, when you hear things like, "he's doing things that nobody has ever done", it's hard not to raise expectations just a little bit. I don't expect every prospect to reach their potential, but that's not to say we can't get excited about what he's doing.

Old
09-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Am I the only one who sees actual superstar potential in Mikael Granlund? Sure, he's not the flashiest kid on the block, but he has plenty of time to improve his wheels, his vision is top notch and the kid can pass like a pro. But most importantly, he has the rare ability to turn games around. He is the clutch, the one who makes the important play when team's down, the one who scores a god damn lacrosse scoop on World Championship semi finals - against Russia - when everyone else was worried about Arthyukin. Hell, I ain't fan of IFK, in fact I support one of their main rivals (Espoo Blues) but watching the games live where MG plays, there isn't anyone on our team who can rival him. And you know what? Being next to Ville Peltonen is one of the greatest places he can be in.

Point production? Plenty. Watch it. I reckon he can go 35-60 or even more during his career peak.

Old
09-22-2011, 08:43 PM
EkiE

He definately is lucky to get traded by Wild... almost quaranteed top 6 minutes for him.

Like Fins do, they play when the games matter(selanne not included) so im not so sure that he is going to raise any eyebrows until playoffs, but when you see him in stanley cup playoffs im pretty sure it's the place where he will make name for himself.

Old
09-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Caior89

I just comeback from work and saw that Granlund took a big hit and left the ice. Any news about a possible injury?

Old
09-22-2011, 09:47 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

I see star potential. Yeah, I said it. Kid is that good. He's a winner.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caior89 View Post
I just comeback from work and saw that Granlund took a big hit and left the ice. Any news about a possible injury?
Supposedly he should be alright. MTV3.fi is reporting head injuries on it's front page but the article itself mentions nothing about it, and head coach Petri Matikainen says "I don't think he's injured", and continued "There was nothing criminal about the check, he (MG) was a little careless, that's all".

Closed Thread