HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scouting prospects

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2004, 05:44 PM
bopeep

vCash: 500
Scouting prospects

If a scouting staff is able to select 3 NHL regular players in any draft year, the adage goes, then they can consider it a success. Bottom line: 3 NHL players, regardless of which line they play on or which defensive pairing, determines a job well done. The art of scouting seems to me to be the ability to identify impact at the NHL level.

I think most posters here already will concede that it's a safe bet that Kyle Chipchura will one day suit up for our team. My question is who else other than Kyle will progress to the point of becoming a Montreal Canadien from this past draft? My other question involves the 2003 draft, where the majority of people would say that Kostitsyn will eventually play for us but who, if anyone, else?

Old
08-11-2004, 06:27 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
If a scouting staff is able to select 3 NHL regular players in any draft year, the adage goes, then they can consider it a success. Bottom line: 3 NHL players, regardless of which line they play on or which defensive pairing, determines a job well done. The art of scouting seems to me to be the ability to identify impact at the NHL level.

I think most posters here already will concede that it's a safe bet that Kyle Chipchura will one day suit up for our team. My question is who else other than Kyle will progress to the point of becoming a Montreal Canadien from this past draft? My other question involves the 2003 draft, where the majority of people would say that Kostitsyn will eventually play for us but who, if anyone, else?
Timmons has said they are looking for NHL level hands. That is their number one priority in skills.

They also want character (hard worker, etc.) and quickness (smarts, anticipation, etc.).

I think that shows in the prospects we have. They all have NHL hands and they all work hard (except the non-AS picks like Hainsey and Hossa) and I think we'll see them all at the NHL level because of that. Hainsey and Hossa will hopefully learn from these guys and fill out their flaws.

From what I've seen of Chipchura, he's definitely an NHLer. I think his hands are underrated and I like his size and skating at this age. Great character guy too. The only question is whether he'll be a 2nd line or checking line guy. I see his upside as Kirk Muller myself, I'm optimistic.

AS has done another tremendous job building a team.

Great post!

Old
08-11-2004, 06:31 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep

This years draft is a mystery.

Chipchura should be in the NHL one day, but the rest are unknown.

Yemelin sounds interesting, should see some RSL time this year. (I hope to have some Lada games on tape this year if Yemelin can make the team)

Wyman we'll have to see what he can do at the NCAA level, he might have a hard time getting ice time next season (NCAA start Oct 1st, ECAC doesn't start till Oct 29th or so)

Grabovski is the biggest mystery, I still don't understand that pick, but I hope to see him play this year if possible.

Lacasse seems to have considerable upside, but we'll see what he does this season, as it will be his first as a starter. I liked what I saw from him, but he's got his work cut out, with Halak and Lindberg both being well ahead of him.

Stewart I could see in the NHL if he works on some areas of his game. He works hard and is physical, something we lack. He'll need to bulk up some and improve his offensive game.

Streit I would be surprised if we ever see him. Just a guess though.

Dulac-Lemelin I would be shocked if he ever made the NHL, but he's got size and a long reach. He's a player I would expect to end up in the ECHL for a bit since he seems to have a ways to go in development terms.

As for '03, Kostitsyn will likely be an NHLer sooner then later. Lapierre I think will be in the NHL for sure, even if it's as a 4th line grinder. Urquhart is unknown, he has the skills and size, but we'll have to see how he does in the AHL, same with Locke. I wouldn't count either out, just as I wouldn't pencil either for the NHL. O'Byrne I think stands a good chance of seeing the NHL, but he's still a long ways away. Lindberg I can't get over how impressed I was with this kid. I'm going to be watching the U-20 game on friday over the net, and from what I hear he was very good in yesterdays SO win. His father says he wants to play over here, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's in North America in a year or two. He's right on par with Halak imo, so it will be tough for both of them to reach the NHL with the Habs, but I would think one of them will make it in a few years although it's very tough to say with goalies. Bonneau I doubt will make the NHL but a few years in the ECHL/AHL and you never know. Danny Stewart I don't think he will be an NHLer either, but he has good speed and a nice shot, just needs a lot of work to sure up his game. Mark Flood I could see in the NHL if he gets a little bigger. He's such a good skater and very smart positionally, although he's very good on the PP, he is not physical.

Old
08-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Timmons has said they are looking for NHL level hands. That is their number one priority in skills.
That's good to know, because we've been burned too many times by picking guys who can't handle the difference in game speed and coordination level between the minors and the NHL. Jason Ward, in particular, comes to mind.

It seems like the current crop will make the transition, although it's too soon to say that for certain. I still think Hainsey should have been in MTL last year. He's definitely got the goods to be a full-time NHLer.

Old
08-11-2004, 06:40 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
That's good to know, because we've been burned too many times by picking guys who can't handle the difference in game speed and coordination level between the minors and the NHL. Jason Ward, in particular, comes to mind.

It seems like the current crop will make the transition, although it's too soon to say that for certain. I still think Hainsey should have been in MTL last year. He's definitely got the goods to be a full-time NHLer.
He does have great hands, but whether he will be quick enough or have the character to correct his flaws is another thing....

Old
08-11-2004, 06:42 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
This years draft is a mystery.

Chipchura should be in the NHL one day, but the rest are unknown.

Yemelin sounds interesting, should see some RSL time this year. (I hope to have some Lada games on tape this year if Yemelin can make the team)

Wyman we'll have to see what he can do at the NCAA level, he might have a hard time getting ice time next season (NCAA start Oct 1st, ECAC doesn't start till Oct 29th or so)

Grabovski is the biggest mystery, I still don't understand that pick, but I hope to see him play this year if possible.

Lacasse seems to have considerable upside, but we'll see what he does this season, as it will be his first as a starter. I liked what I saw from him, but he's got his work cut out, with Halak and Lindberg both being well ahead of him.

Stewart I could see in the NHL if he works on some areas of his game. He works hard and is physical, something we lack. He'll need to bulk up some and improve his offensive game.

Streit I would be surprised if we ever see him. Just a guess though.

Dulac-Lemelin I would be shocked if he ever made the NHL, but he's got size and a long reach. He's a player I would expect to end up in the ECHL for a bit since he seems to have a ways to go in development terms.

As for '03, Kostitsyn will likely be an NHLer sooner then later. Lapierre I think will be in the NHL for sure, even if it's as a 4th line grinder. Urquhart is unknown, he has the skills and size, but we'll have to see how he does in the AHL, same with Locke. I wouldn't count either out, just as I wouldn't pencil either for the NHL. O'Byrne I think stands a good chance of seeing the NHL, but he's still a long ways away. Lindberg I can't get over how impressed I was with this kid. I'm going to be watching the U-20 game on friday over the net, and from what I hear he was very good in yesterdays SO win. His father says he wants to play over here, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's in North America in a year or two. He's right on par with Halak imo, so it will be tough for both of them to reach the NHL with the Habs, but I would think one of them will make it in a few years although it's very tough to say with goalies. Bonneau I doubt will make the NHL but a few years in the ECHL/AHL and you never know. Danny Stewart I don't think he will be an NHLer either, but he has good speed and a nice shot, just needs a lot of work to sure up his game. Mark Flood I could see in the NHL if he gets a little bigger. He's such a good skater and very smart positionally, although he's very good on the PP, he is not physical.
Dan, what is the difference between scouting off videotape and in person? You think the Habs do a lot of scouting of Euros off tape?

Seems to me you could judge hands, quickness and character from watching a tape. You can rewatch and rewatch it too. And look at tapes of the players against different levels of competition. Of course, you need to interview the guy too.

I do this for our streethockey league (we have a draft). It's VERY important to have tape on a player. Sometimes you find it's hard to play against a guy and you like him, but look at him on tape and realize that it's YOU who sucks...

Last edited by tinyzombies: 08-11-2004 at 06:45 PM.
Old
08-11-2004, 07:59 PM
turnbuckle*

To tell you the truth, I'm pretty tired of the "boom or bust" predictions by many on this board concerning Kosty. Who the hell knows; especially us who haven't seen him enough to form ANY type of definitive opinion?

I'd be damn surprised if he's a bust. He's not undersized; he's talented as hell; not known as a slacker......there's not a single "characteristic" that points towards bustom over stardom. Poor defensively? If he can put the biscuit in the basket....

Frankly; I'm laughing at the naysayers. Not that I know better, but it's my feeling that Kosty is going to be part of the tremendous run of Hab draft picks that leads us to multiple Stanley Cups. I hope I'm right.

Old
08-11-2004, 08:07 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
To tell you the truth, I'm pretty tired of the "boom or bust" predictions by many on this board concerning Kosty. Who the hell knows; especially us who haven't seen him enough to form ANY type of definitive opinion?

I'd be damn surprised if he's a bust. He's not undersized; he's talented as hell; not known as a slacker......there's not a single "characteristic" that points towards bustom over stardom. Poor defensively? If he can put the biscuit in the basket....

Frankly; I'm laughing at the naysayers. Not that I know better, but it's my feeling that Kosty is going to be part of the tremendous run of Hab draft picks that leads us to multiple Stanley Cups. I hope I'm right.

So you're saying that you're predicting a boom?

Old
08-11-2004, 08:12 PM
db23

Houle was G.M. in Montreal for 5 drafts. To this point in time 15 players from those 5 drafts have played in the NHL. So even if no other players make it, he averaged 3 NHL players per draft. Which was the original definition of "success". Add to that the fact that he traded away a #1 pick in 1999 for Trevor Linden who was then dealt in a deal by Savard for an extra #1 pick in 2001.

Savard on the onther hand has ONE legitimate NHL player from the 4 drafts he has been around for. He wouldn't even have Komisarek to show for his efforts if Minnesota hadn't grabbed the player he wanted just ahead of the #7 slot in Mikko Koivu. How does Savard come off as the genius and Houle the fool?

The whole time Rejean Houle was G.M. he was asked to reduce payroll and get rid of expensive vets under Molson's ownership. The whole time Savard was G.M. he was given an open checkbook by George Gillett. Still, Houle had A BETTER WINNING PERCENTAGE during his time at the helm. Give credit where credit is due.

Old
08-11-2004, 08:32 PM
bopeep

The 4th round picks in both years are, well, puzzling. I was really glad we took a gamble on Corey Locke @ 113 - and just hope the best for him. Danny Stewart @ 123? Then of course this year we selected Wyman @ 100 when more hyped/recognizable/higher rated names were still available i.e. O'Neill, Hedman, Gracik, Vorobiev...... I've got my fingers crossed.

Old
08-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Houle was G.M. in Montreal for 5 drafts. To this point in time 15 players from those 5 drafts have played in the NHL. So even if no other players make it, he averaged 3 NHL players per draft. Which was the original definition of "success". Add to that the fact that he traded away a #1 pick in 1999 for Trevor Linden who was then dealt in a deal by Savard for an extra #1 pick in 2001.

Savard on the onther hand has ONE legitimate NHL player from the 4 drafts he has been around for. He wouldn't even have Komisarek to show for his efforts if Minnesota hadn't grabbed the player he wanted just ahead of the #7 slot in Mikko Koivu. How does Savard come off as the genius and Houle the fool?

The whole time Rejean Houle was G.M. he was asked to reduce payroll and get rid of expensive vets under Molson's ownership. The whole time Savard was G.M. he was given an open checkbook by George Gillett. Still, Houle had A BETTER WINNING PERCENTAGE during his time at the helm. Give credit where credit is due.
And how much time has Savard's prospects had to develop? Houle from say, 96 until 2000 has had anywhere from 8-4 years to develop where Savard has had from 2001-2004 (I'm giving him credit for this draft) so he's had 3 years for his picks to develop and most of them are 21. Give the prospects some time and we should probably see some results.

Old
08-11-2004, 09:12 PM
tinyzombies

I think Lemaire had a hand in a lot of those drafts tho. Houle made a lot of mistakes and pulled a lot of players out of his bum in the lower rounds.

The first round picks: Matt Higgins, Ward, Chouinard, Hainsey, Hossa.... this is what got him fired.

Old
08-11-2004, 09:32 PM
db23

Quote:
I think Lemaire had a hand in a lot of those drafts tho. Houle made a lot of mistakes and pulled a lot of players out of his bum in the lower rounds.

The first round picks: Matt Higgins, Ward, Chouinard, Hainsey, Hossa.... this is what got him fired.
If 3 out of 5 first round picks are playing for your team 3 years after you leave, and 4 or the 5 are in the NHL, that is nothing to be ashamed about. Especially if you also dealt a top 10 pick during that time for short term help. Look back on the history of the draft and see how many teams have done better than that aveerage.

Oh, and on the subject of Chouinard, didn't Ottawa also draft some guy named Chouinard just before Montreal did? Who was the Sen's draft wizard at that point?

Come to think of it the "braintrust" in Ottawa drafted their Chouinard TWICE if I'm not mistaken and he still never played a game for them.

Last edited by db23: 08-11-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old
08-11-2004, 09:40 PM
db23

.....Anyone who was stupid enough to spend a FIRST AND A SECOND ROUND DRAFT PICK on a player who never worked for them a day in his life probably should be working in the Quebec Senior League or something, would you agree with that?

Old
08-11-2004, 11:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Dan, what is the difference between scouting off videotape and in person? You think the Habs do a lot of scouting of Euros off tape?

Seems to me you could judge hands, quickness and character from watching a tape. You can rewatch and rewatch it too. And look at tapes of the players against different levels of competition. Of course, you need to interview the guy too.

I do this for our streethockey league (we have a draft). It's VERY important to have tape on a player. Sometimes you find it's hard to play against a guy and you like him, but look at him on tape and realize that it's YOU who sucks...

I have spoken with the head scout of ISS about using tapes verus live. Both bring different things to the table, as tapes like you said, can be rewatched over and over. But live hockey, you get to see things away from the puck that might not be shown on the tape. Using both is something I would assume all teams do, but I don't know. As for the Euro's, I've had a hard time getting some tapes from different leagues, but I do wonder if the Habs use tapes or not. I had hoped to land an interview with Timmins so I could ask him if they use tapes, but that doesn't seem likely.

Old
08-11-2004, 11:14 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

I remember clearly that Savard did not want Koivu as he said there were concerns about his skating. I don't know where they had Komisarek rated, but I know that Savard wasn't interested in Koivu.

What the hell are you talking about, Savard has been GM for 3 drafts, only an ass would count this draft that was 6 weeks ago without the season even starting, beside the fact that drafted players take 3-5 years to guage there success.

I'll expalin something to you, Savard turned this organization around. How so you ask? Look at the farm system back in '99-'00, Garon Chouinard, Ribeiro, Ward, Matt Higgins, Campbell, Bashkirov, Mikkola, Staal, Asham, etc.. Savard came in and turned things around. Bringing in AHL vets like Landry, Gratton, Fichaud, Belanger plus adding some solid prospects at the draft. Remember those years when all the players were injured and we broke the record for man games lost to injury with over 500 back to back seasons? Ever notice that trend stopped, ever think why? Savard brought in new training people, new training equipment, added the development camps and rookie tournaments, brought in Scott Livingston.

As for Houle, I always felt sorry for him, he was put into a job he just couldn't do, he was way over his head, and he often got taken to the cleaners on most trades. I question someones sanity when they put down Savard and praise Houle, what the bloody hell.

Old
08-11-2004, 11:30 PM
db23

Yeah, where would the organization be without Eric Landry, Benoit Gratton, Eric Fichaud and Jesse Belanger? They will all be key players for the Habs next season won't they, champ? Along with other miraculous discoveries like Juneau, Dackell, Quintal, Perreault, Audette, Czerkawski, McKay, Gilmour, Berezin, Traverse, and a few others who copped a few of George Gillett's millions over the past few years.

Too bad that Martin LaPointe and Pierre Trugeon turned down the millions that Savard offered them. They have been real bargains for the teams they signed with. Haven't they champ?

When asked about the 2001 draft Savard very clearly stated - "The players were drafted the way we had them rated". Komisarek was #7 on Montreal's list, champ. But for the grace of God we would be sitting here wondering if Mikko Koivu was ever going to come to North America.

For that matter, nearly 60 players who were drafted after Alex Perezhogin have already made it to the NHL. That is nearly two full rounds worth of players. No gaurantees he is going to be here next year either.

....but hey, what do you expect from a guy who used a first round pick on a player, then used a second round pick on the same player, then let the guy sign with another team without ever getting a minute of service out of him.

Last edited by db23: 08-11-2004 at 11:33 PM.
Old
08-11-2004, 11:45 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Yeah, where would the organization be without Eric Landry, Benoit Gratton, Eric Fichaud and Jesse Belanger? They will all be key players for the Habs next season won't they, champ? Along with other miraculous discoveries like Juneau, Dackell, Quintal, Perreault, Audette, Czerkawski, McKay, Gilmour, Berezin, Traverse, and a few others who copped a few of George Gillett's millions over the past few years.

Too bad that Martin LaPointe and Pierre Trugeon turned down the millions that Savard offered them. They have been real bargains for the teams they signed with. Haven't they champ?

When asked about the 2001 draft Savard very clearly stated - "The players were drafted the way we had them rated". Komisarek was #7 on Montreal's list, champ. But for the grace of God we would be sitting here wondering if Mikko Koivu was ever going to come to North America.

For that matter, nearly 60 players who were drafted after Alex Perezhogin have already made it to the NHL. That is nearly two full rounds worth of players. No gaurantees he is going to be here next year either.

....but hey, what do you expect from a guy who used a first round pick on a player, then used a second round pick on the same player, then let the guy sign with another team without ever getting a minute of service out of him.

This is why I question your hockey knowledge. Landry, Gratton and Fichaud all will never play for the Habs again, but it's not all about what they do in the NHL. All 3, especially Landry and Gratton were major parts of Quebec/Hamilton's success, then all the veteran leadership they gave to Ward, Ryder, Garon, Komisarek, etc.. I've heard both Garon and Ward say how much having Fichaud and Gratton around helped each player become a better NHLer. And it was Francis Belanger not Jesse. He was there to provide a physical winger for Ribeiro in Quebec and was effective until the dumbass pushed a ref and was then let go not much after.

As for the NHL vets, Audette was doing well until injured. Perreault was leading the team in scoring when Koivu was sick. Quintal was solid in the playoffs in '02. Juneau and Dackell were needed back in '01 to fill the hole. McKay was brought in for veteran leadership. Gilmor was one of our top players in the playoffs in '02. Berezin, Chow and Traverse were all gambles that didn't work.

Savard said he never wanted Koivu, we got Komisarek, what's the problem with that. You claim you think he wanted Koivu. As for Perezhogin and 60 players drafted ahead of him, don't be fooled into what other teams do with their prospects, who cares when he's in the NHL if he is progressing well. He'll be in the NHL within 2 years, and I will be laughing at YOU. :lol

Old
08-11-2004, 11:49 PM
db23

I'm fine with things as long as posters don't continually slag Rejean Houle and pump up Savard. The evidence that is in doesn't support that myth at all. If anything, it should be the other way round.

Old
08-11-2004, 11:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I'm fine with things as long as posters don't continually slag Rejean Houle and pump up Savard. The evidence that is in doesn't support that myth at all. If anything, it should be the other way round.

Only in your world.

Old
08-12-2004, 12:35 AM
NewHabsEra*

Please db23, refresh my memorie... Could you name me all the players Houle has drafted that have played in the NHL one day?

Old
08-12-2004, 12:48 AM
db23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Please db23, refresh my memorie... Could you name me all the players Houle has drafted that have played in the NHL one day?
Look it up yourself. If you can't find it, perhaps someone else might be able to direct you.

Old
08-12-2004, 12:56 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I have spoken with the head scout of ISS about using tapes verus live. Both bring different things to the table, as tapes like you said, can be rewatched over and over. But live hockey, you get to see things away from the puck that might not be shown on the tape. Using both is something I would assume all teams do, but I don't know. As for the Euro's, I've had a hard time getting some tapes from different leagues, but I do wonder if the Habs use tapes or not. I had hoped to land an interview with Timmins so I could ask him if they use tapes, but that doesn't seem likely.
I don't see the problem of setting up three or four cameras (camcorders). That would solve the problem.

Old
08-12-2004, 01:00 AM
db23

Quote:
Only in your world.
If you want the high priced vets that Houle traded because of the financial situation surrounding the Habs at the time, they are pretty much all available on the free agent market. Malakhov, Recchi, Damphousse, Turgeon. Roy is long gone.

The team still has a lot to show for those deals. Roy=Thibault=Hackett=Sundstrom. Malakov=Souray, Recchi=Zubrus=Zednik, Damphousse=Hossa and Thinel.

Dykhuis and Bouillon are still around as free agent signings.

Draft picks - Ward, Hainsey, Balej=Kovalev, Garon=Bonk, Shasby, D.C=Linden=Bulis and Perezhogin, Ribeiro, Ryder, Markov.

I can't be bothered to track everything down, but a substantial portion of the present team can be traced back to Houle's trades or picks, and as I said if you miss the old guys he traded away, all you need is money to get them back.

Houle had a better record with half the budget and 5 times as many lost games due to injury that Savard as G.M.

If you took the time to do anything other than pandering to the peanut gallery here and putting up mocking smilies, you might realize that.

Last edited by db23: 08-12-2004 at 01:04 AM.
Old
08-12-2004, 01:02 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I think when people slag Reggie, they slag Corey. Corey made many mistakes. Many. Losing the Forum was paramount. What a huge mistake. I love the Bell Center. It's a nice place But THE FORUM? Come on.

And hiring incompetents? That is a sign of poor leadership.

Closed Thread