HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp Discussion (UPD: Canucks cut Jensen, Schroeder, Duco, Lack, Sauve)

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I'm almost hoping Parent gets claimed.
Yeah, unfortunately when the fan feels that way 9 times out of 10 it doesn't happen

Old
09-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Burrows Bite

Parrent's been so bad even his Parrents wouldn't claim him.

Old
09-30-2011, 06:00 PM
hockeykid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrows Bite View Post
Reaching hard for this one

Old
09-30-2011, 06:32 PM
huntison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
We talking about Sturm ot CoHo?
Sturm.

Old
09-30-2011, 06:47 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
No worries, I don't take offense to something like that.. it sounds like something I would say myself.

Alberts last year when healthy played better than Ballard. People want to hate on AV for his treatment of Ballard, but IMO having Alberts in there over him at times was the right move.

Don't get me wrong, Ballard should (and hopefully this season will) be a far better player than Alberts and brings way more to the table. But last year, that just wasn't the case.

Both Ballard and Alberts had horrendous first years here, but Alberts bounced back. Hopefully Ballard's next.
IMO, Tanev + Ballard as a pairing were better than Alberts was with anyone, and that's an important consideration. Alberts was individually very good, and I don't mind him slotting in at all, but the pairing of Ballard and Tanev has very good chemistry.

Old
09-30-2011, 06:59 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Fedoruk and Eriksson released, per Murph. Schroeder, Sauve, Lack and Duco to Chicago.

EDIT: Lines at practice...

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Sturm - Hodgson - Samuelsson
Higgins - Malhotra - Hansen
Oreskovich - Lapierre - Volpatti
Ebbett

Bieksa - Hamhuis
Edler - Salo
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts - Sulzer

Luongo
Schneider
Basically there were no surprises at camp. This is the roster I expected for game 1, with the 13th forward and 8th d-man spot being the only spots up for any debate.

Old
09-30-2011, 07:03 PM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I'm hoping not. Get rid of these contracts!
Why do you want Mancari gone? Sure he isn't a NHLer but he is a good AHLer. At the time he was brought it, it was suspected that he was for the Wolves. Provide the prospects with good player to play with. Mancari would be a good player for say Schroeder to play with. A competitive farm club is a good thing.

I'm all for loosing Parents contract but not Mancari's.

Old
09-30-2011, 07:06 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

I'm kinda shocked Schroeder was sent down, AV was loving the kid.

Old
09-30-2011, 07:49 PM
F A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
A numbers game. Gillis likely wanted to give Hodgson a shot and Ebbett needs to clear waivers. Besides, Schroeder didn't really beat out the other two for a spot and can use a chance to show he can dominate the AHL and earn a callup.

Old
09-30-2011, 08:17 PM
timw33

Schroeder needs to do some damage in the AHL this year.

Old
09-30-2011, 08:36 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrows Bite View Post
Joke would have worked better without the extra "r"s.

Old
09-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Sorry, but Schroeder has a lot to prove before he gets a shot in the NHL. It's not a boys game...

Old
09-30-2011, 10:46 PM
stoneboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
If they do run with that fourth line though, I wonder who is going to make up the third PK unit. I'm guessing you'll see some combination of Malhotra/Burrows/Lapierre/Hansen on the first two units. Higgins will probably play on the third, but beyond that I don't really see a player that I'd be comfortable with taking a regular shift other than the Sedins. I imagine Ebbett is being kept around partly for that reason - of the bubble guys he looked like the one who would most be able to contribute on the PK.
I noticed that Sturm was out killing penalties every game he was in, so perhaps he's Raymond's substitute on the PK this year?

Old
09-30-2011, 11:35 PM
ProstheticConscience
Uber-Koenig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I'm almost hoping Parent gets claimed.
There. Fixed it for you and everyone else who's actually seen him play.

Jensen, Schroeder and Lack have bright futures ahead of them. Duco and Sauve...not so much.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:47 PM
CurtisLoew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
There. Fixed it for you and everyone else who's actually seen him play.

Jensen, Schroeder and Lack have bright futures ahead of them. Duco and Sauve...not so much.
Yann Sauve, the 1990 born defensemen with 5 games already under his belt has no future ahead of him?

I don't buy that, I guess I'm someone who hasn't "actually seen him play." Because during his short stint with the Canucks last year he looked like a bright spot on the roster. But he didn't make the team out of camp this year so he must be a bust, I mean, most defensemen are established NHLers by 21 right?

Old
10-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisLoew View Post
Yann Sauve, the 1990 born defensemen with 5 games already under his belt has no future ahead of him?

I don't buy that, I guess I'm someone who hasn't "actually seen him play." Because during his short stint with the Canucks last year he looked like a bright spot on the roster. But he didn't make the team out of camp this year so he must be a bust, I mean, most defensemen are established NHLers by 21 right?
Agreed. He's still a bit raw, but it's nothing a little more experience and coaching can't fix. He's got the tools to be a solid, mean NHL defenceman. I'm looking forward to him ironing out the kinks in his game because he's the type of player the Canucks need more of.

Last edited by Szechwan: 10-01-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old
10-01-2011, 12:32 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Even without Kesler on it that looks like a cup-contending roster IMO.

Old
10-01-2011, 12:40 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC View Post
I think there is a good chance. Neither is NHL caliber. Mancari will be good for the Wolves, should really add to the powerplay. Parent, I have no kind of idea what kind of impact he will have down on the farm.
Mancari should be a solid veteran for the Wolves, while Parent is better served playing big shutdown minutes in the AHL. Apparently he was pretty good for the Moose last year... believe it or not.

And that's precisely the reason why I hope they don't get claimed. The farm team needs help too, even though we're up against the 50-contract limit.

Old
10-01-2011, 12:51 AM
BoHorvatFan

Not a fan of the 2nd and 3rd lines at all. We won't be scoring many goals to start the year. Having so many streaky wingers could be a disaster.

And our first powerplay unit has been destroyed. No Ehrhoff and Kesler is going to hurt big time and we shouldn't expect the same PP numbers especially early on.

Old
10-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Not a fan of the 2nd and 3rd lines at all. We won't be scoring many goals to start the year. Having so many streaky wingers could be a disaster.

And our first powerplay unit has been destroyed. No Ehrhoff and Kesler is going to hurt big time and we shouldn't expect the same PP numbers especially early on.
We will hover over .500 for the rest of 2011.

but will get better when Kesler comes back and gets into his trophy winning groove.

Additionally if our defense stays healthy for once like Edler/Juice and Bally, we should be ok.

Old
10-01-2011, 01:43 AM
Slapshot_11

I expect Kesler to have a sub-par regular season because of the injury but he should be at full speed by the playoffs

Old
10-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Basically there were no surprises at camp. This is the roster I expected for game 1, with the 13th forward and 8th d-man spot being the only spots up for any debate.
Wow...you 'expected' that Volpatti would make our 4th line? I didn't give him a hope in hell myself, however, it looks like he's done just that.

I agree with whoever it was that was running down his game based on last year, but more than any of the returning Canucks from last year it looks like Volpatti has made a jump in his skating ability. For a guy like Volpatti that can make a huge difference, imagine Hansen's ability if he wasn't an elite level skater? He'd be a borderline 4th liner as an average skater (instead of the elite 3rd liner he is now imo)

I really think the 'audition process' is going to continue well into the regular season. Barring any guys getting claimed on waivers, it looks to me like very little seperates the guys competing for 4th line spots. When the games start counting guys like Oreo and Volpatti should be looking over their shoulder if they start on the 4th and continue being mediocre (just like the rest of the crowd was- who will now start in Chicago). There ain't that much seperating some of first cuts like Sweatt, Anthony and Friesen vs the guys still here imo.

Old
10-01-2011, 02:25 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

With EDM losing 3 defenders tonight vs MIN, I wouldn't be surprised if they claimed Parent

Old
10-01-2011, 02:29 AM
ProstheticConscience
Uber-Koenig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisLoew View Post

Oh c'mon. You were impressed by Sauve this training camp? Really? He was a "bright spot" last year? Did you hit your head and see stars during that stretch or something? I never said he was a bust or he's peaked. Geez...I'm not putting him in Ryan Parent territory or anything. Gimme a break. He's a long, long way off right now. And that's even if we weren't stacked on the back end. I don't even know if Edmonton would be dressing him if he were there atm.

Old
10-01-2011, 02:40 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Oh c'mon. You were impressed by Sauve this training camp? Really? He was a "bright spot" last year? Did you hit your head and see stars during that stretch or something? I never said he was a bust or he's peaked. Geez...I'm not putting him in Ryan Parent territory or anything. Gimme a break. He's a long, long way off right now. And that's even if we weren't stacked on the back end. I don't even know if Edmonton would be dressing him if he were there atm.
Sauve's not flashy or anything but you can see there's potential there. Obviously he could stand to improve on his coverage at certain times but I liked what I saw from his steady play.

Closed Thread