HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

NHL 12 Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
It was in UHL mode.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
How do you take control of the goalie though? Never let's me get Thomas.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Just press L1 + X to control your goalie.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Infinite Vision*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Just fought with Price vs. Thomas. (on PS3)

You have to hit Thomas and then, press triangle and select Price and move him to the center ice. That's what I did and worked at least.
It's too bad you can't pick Montreal in the Demo, lol.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Stephleref
Held by Holtby

I don't like how they nerfed the hitting but otherwise i like it.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:35 PM
dronald

Has anyone tried being a goalie in game? It's much more realistic. When there's people fighting for the puck infront of the net you don't feel useless, and you can push people out of the way. Goalie is a huge improvement this year and I'm glad they focused on it more this year. Playing the puck behind the net doesn't immediately result in a penalty if you're not super careful, and the saves look great.

So far I've played 3 games, one quick game, one BAP and one as goalie. I was instantly impressed by the physics of NHL 12 and the AI. I tried glitching the AI several times but I can't find one that works. The pad saves and the puck physics look and feel great. I went into a shootout as a goalie, which forced me to also use the players in the shootout. I had a chance to make saves against the computer in 1v1's and it was much easier to maneuver and make brilliant saves. But trying to beat the goalie was also much harder, you couldn't just go left, right, left, goal.

NHL 12 is more realistic than NHL 11 and that's exciting to me. I noticed little things like the way the boards move and the way the puck bounces off the goalie look better. Players fighting infront of the net and making good tip in goals too. I should probably get back to the game and try some other things out.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:38 PM
dronald

To the question above, you can lock goalie position in a quick play before the game and then play goalie all game.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:42 PM
BluelineHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
So not only are people not allowed to complain, but people aren't allowed to play it either if they think they might not like it?
It's not about being allowed to complain or not, but for every person who, like yourself, puts together some comments about what they did not like about the game, there are 5-10 people who have nothing to say other than to b*tch in their posts. It's pretty pathetic when you feel the need to get onto a forum to post "This game sucks". Show some intelligence and complain about SOMETHING (obviously not directed at your post).

Old
08-23-2011, 06:43 PM
ruggaduck
Duck walking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
... I like the fact that you can't use that same forehand-backhand move to get around the computer now. They force you to the outside so it becomes harder to glitch and forces you to score goals like you would in real life.
This. I really think this change is fairly significant.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I can't seem to take control of Thomas and move him at all.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluelineHammer View Post
It's not about being allowed to complain or not, but for every person who, like yourself, puts together some comments about what they did not like about the game, there are 5-10 people who have nothing to say other than to b*tch in their posts. It's pretty pathetic when you feel the need to get onto a forum to post "This game sucks". Show some intelligence and complain about SOMETHING (obviously not directed at your post).
Nothing personal dude, but I think it's even more pathetic that everyone gets so upset about it. Who cares if some guy you've never met doesn't like the game and won't explain why. Let's move on with our lives.

It's pretty easy to visit this thread 3 or 4 times a day and just skip over all of the childish banter and actually read informative posts.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Wait are we allowed to control any team now in the demo?
He got Price in a Hockey Ultimate Team pack

Old
08-23-2011, 06:54 PM
iceless
-`ღ´-

The few of you who appreciate this garbage need to take off the rose-coloured glasses. This feels like NHL11 v2.0. As always, once step forward and two steps back with EA. The hitting "engine" is horrible. The players feel like their skating in quick sand. Michael Grabner and Mason Raymond shouldn't be stick-checked on a clearcut breakaway by unknown minor-league scrubs. The game menu is sluggish. Everything feels slow. ******* you, Rammer.

Looks like I'll be skipping this year's version for the first time. I've said it once and I'll say it again: without a competitor like 2k, the EA NHL series will regress -- and sadly, it looks like it already has.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:56 PM
iceless
-`ღ´-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggaduck View Post
This. I really think this change is fairly significant.
It's not going to do anything. People are just going to revert to the short-side wrister from the top of the circle.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:57 PM
dronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
I can't seem to take control of Thomas and move him at all.
Go to Quick Play and then go to lineups. When you're in lineups you can lock the "G" position and play with the goalie the whole game. That's the best way to test out goalie.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Old
08-23-2011, 06:59 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

since i pre-ordered nhl 12
when do they ship it out

Old
08-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

There are SO many NHL series fanboys I haven't played teh game yet, but I'm sure I'll be on the horrible express.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:02 PM
eli J
Claw Machine broke

Send a message via AIM to eli J
I really liked the demo... Action Tracker is the **** and will make Be a Pro approximately 1000000x more playable than before by actually making it vaguely realistic. No more top line 45 minute TOI games straight out of the draft, or at least not without you actually wanting it to be that way and not doing it out of sheer boredom. Puck physics are much better too, noticed the puck bouncing around and generally doing zany stuff it didn't do before leading to more dynamic gameplay and scoring chances.. game looks better too, some better animations, sharper textures, more interesting hits with a wider range of results (no longer just "shrugs it off" OR "goes flat out sprawling on the ice" as the only two possibilities)

Goalies seemed less retarded too, gave up more rebounds and smothered fewer pucks which I liked... NHL 11 and earlier seemed to be either "lets in really soft, cheesy wrister" or "catches puck in glove/belly", with nothing in between. Saw many more pad and blocker saves which resulted in a live puck going back out onto the ice. AI seemed capable of generating more than 4 shots a game too which is awesome. The AI didn't pass aimlessly for 2 minutes before coughing up the puck without getting a single shot. They moved it around and if nothing was available, they'd dump it back to a blueliner who would at least put the puck on the net. Time will tell if this is just "new game goggles" or lasting and real change, but I can only hope the days of two AI players passing back and forth along the corner wall for five minutes straight is over.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:02 PM
BruinDust

Played 1 game Bos. vs. Van, won the rookie tournament in HUT. My initial reaction, it feels like a downgrade from NHL11, mostly because skating no longer feels as smooth and tight. Crossovers now sometimes seem awkward.

And the hitting has been nerfed to much in the other extreme at least in the demo. Animations don't look as good.

Presentation feels cheaper, although I did like where they will highlight several saves by the goaltender right after the goaltenders name appears full-screen.

And what the heck is the cash-register sound when I am changing lines. Not to mention the inaccurate sounds on every replay(shooting the puck does not make the exact same noise ever single shot in reality). And finally the echo when the arena announcer is speaking, more real yes, but when applied to sports video games let us hear clearly hear the arena announcer.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Fel 96
JFC

More videos:

And the last one just for fun...

Old
08-23-2011, 07:06 PM
dronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli J View Post
I really liked the demo... Action Tracker is the **** and will make Be a Pro approximately 1000000x more playable than before by actually making it vaguely realistic. No more top line 45 minute TOI games straight out of the draft, or at least not without you actually wanting it to be that way and not doing it out of sheer boredom. Puck physics are much better too, noticed the puck bouncing around and generally doing zany stuff it didn't do before leading to more dynamic gameplay and scoring chances.. game looks better too, some better animations, sharper textures, more interesting hits with a wider range of results (no longer just "shrugs it off" OR "goes flat out sprawling on the ice" as the only two possibilities)

Goalies seemed less retarded too, gave up more rebounds and smothered fewer pucks which I liked... NHL 11 and earlier seemed to be either "lets in really soft, cheesy wrister" or "catches puck in glove/belly", with nothing in between. Saw many more pad and blocker saves which resulted in a live puck going back out onto the ice. AI seemed capable of generating more than 4 shots a game too which is awesome. The AI didn't pass aimlessly for 2 minutes before coughing up the puck without getting a single shot. They moved it around and if nothing was available, they'd dump it back to a blueliner who would at least put the puck on the net. Time will tell if this is just "new game goggles" or lasting and real change, but I can only hope the days of two AI players passing back and forth along the corner wall for five minutes straight is over.
I agree with everything said here as I had the exact same experience while playing. Just judging by the demo, the game is clearly more realistic including hitting and they have the additions that make the game more user friendly than NHL 11 is.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I got Thomas to fight with Samuelsson. He ran me and the fight started that way.

I'll buy the game regardless, granted I like it.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:09 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
How do I unlock the 2 HUT packs from demo? I invited someone, how do I get the other?

Old
08-23-2011, 07:15 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

can anyone log onto PSN?
like does it work

Last edited by donghabs98: 08-23-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Closed Thread