HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

NHL 12 Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Boltz9

vCash: 500
Not a big fan of the demo, it has some positives but not enough, and too many negatives for me. I've still preordered the game and will pick it up though.

The hitting is pretty bad, hopefully it gets tuned up for the full game. It seems like when the other team starts to break out, its nearly impossible to hit them because they turn away from every hit. And even if you get a good run at them from behind at the boards, you just bounce off and they continue on.

Also it looks like the classic control users got screwed again. I wasn't able to choose the type of faceoff I wanted to take (aggressive etc.) using the classic controls, whereas I was you were able to last year. Hope that's just a demo problem.

I did like some of the presentation things that they improved. Unlike most people on here, I enjoy having the sound in the replay. Also I like when they focus on one player near the end of the game, and show a replay package of just that player.

Got checked into the boards once which was cool, too bad there's instant replay in the demo. Haven't had a chance to really try out or notice the battles in front of the net. Gotta play some more I suppose.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:20 PM
dronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltz9 View Post
Not a big fan of the demo, it has some positives but not enough, and too many negatives for me. I've still preordered the game and will pick it up though.

The hitting is pretty bad, hopefully it gets tuned up for the full game. It seems like when the other team starts to break out, its nearly impossible to hit them because they turn away from every hit. And even if you get a good run at them from behind at the boards, you just bounce off and they continue on.

Also it looks like the classic control users got screwed again. I wasn't able to choose the type of faceoff I wanted to take (aggressive etc.) using the classic controls, whereas I was you were able to last year. Hope that's just a demo problem.

I did like some of the presentation things that they improved. Unlike most people on here, I enjoy having the sound in the replay. Also I like when they focus on one player near the end of the game, and show a replay package of just that player.

Got checked into the boards once which was cool, too bad there's instant replay in the demo. Haven't had a chance to really try out or notice the battles in front of the net. Gotta play some more I suppose.
Isn't that what players should do?

Old
08-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
I've got to team USA like 3 times, I can't seem to beat it, have no clue why. I breeze past Portland, Boston, and Vancouver, scoring like 7 goals in the 5 minutes, but Ryan Miller is basically the equivalent of God whenever I vs them.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Boltz9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronald View Post
Isn't that what players should do?
Yeah, but I'd like to have some contact once in a while.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

I had Luongo make a huge save on a Lucic breakaway and the crowd did a "LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" chant.

Is that new, I've never heard it before but maybe someone who used vancouver more in NHL 11 will be able to tell me that it's not.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:48 PM
haveandare

Are the one timers any different? I didn't notice any change but I remember it being talked about.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:52 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Are the one timers any different? I didn't notice any change but I remember it being talked about.
I notice snipers opening up for one timers when they are trailing the play

Old
08-23-2011, 07:55 PM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
I had Luongo make a huge save on a Lucic breakaway and the crowd did a "LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" chant.

Is that new, I've never heard it before but maybe someone who used vancouver more in NHL 11 will be able to tell me that it's not.
This was definitely in NHL 11, as was the 'CAREY, CAREY, CAREY' chant after Price made a great save.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Boltz9

I will agree that the skating animations are alot better and realistic, as well as the shooting.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Donny Bomby
Dinger Derby

Pictures of game play:

Videos:

Old
08-23-2011, 08:10 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
One thing that I noticed that I really liked was that one timers tend to sail over the top of the net a lot more, and goalies don't automatically glove every puck that comes within the general vicinity of their trapper. I've seen a half a dozen shots or so go off the tip of Thomas' glove. Little things like that add a lot to the realism factor of the game.

And speaking of realism, I just put 5 pucks past Luongo in the third.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Pools Closed*

I like the demo more realistic than NHL 11 where every shot went in.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Pools Closed*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
One thing that I noticed that I really liked was that one timers tend to sail over the top of the net a lot more, and goalies don't automatically glove every puck that comes within the general vicinity of their trapper. I've seen a half a dozen shots or so go off the tip of Thomas' glove. Little things like that add a lot to the realism factor of the game.

And speaking of realism, I just put 5 pucks past Luongo in the third.
It's Lebrongo what do you expect.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:19 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicckkilla View Post
I like the demo more realistic than NHL 11 where every shot went in.
Agreed, I have to actually work for my shots instead of burning the defense with an easy crossover and using the same deke to score on the breakaway.

It seems like if you're one on one with the goalie in the slot you've got a pretty good chance to beat him, which is how it should be.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm writing this as I play:

Graphics: Somehow looks worse than NHL 11, almost grainy when I look at it from close.

Slapshots: Yup, slappers require more precision because the puck moves on its own, which I love. However, they did reduce the power of the slapshot from the point, and I think they should tune that because they barely bother the goaltender at this level.

Skating: Feels sluggish, not as realistic as what the NHL 11 demo felt. The skaters feel like they all move at the same speed though, but I liked the anticipation AI, I saw Mason Raymond skating almost to the other teams blueline even before I got the puck.

Hitting: Is broken. I don't know if its the whole "weight/strength matters!" business, but its completely whack how I line a guy up on the boards and crush him, and it seems like I barely budged him (although he does lose the puck). Other times, I barely touch them with H. Sedin and they go flopping on the ice. At this point, I would call the hitting awkward.

Goalies: Much better reactions to dekes. Thomas is able to make sprawling plays on my dekes, and I have to carefully pick my spots, which is good.

Main Menu: I'm not suffering from a seizure, so why is everything shaking on my screen? Quite unnecessary.

Last edited by Jack Bourdain: 08-23-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old
08-23-2011, 08:22 PM
derriko

vCash: 50
I dont know what you guys are talking about, I love the hitting. In nhl 11 i always turned it all the way down and there still were too many lay out hits. Now there still seems to be too many but its much better.

Also, the new animations for protecting the puck make it a lot easier to drive the net or actually "protect the puck" haha.

It's about time they got the flippin skating right. Players skate with the puck with one hand all the time in real life! literally every time a player accelerates hes carrying it with one hand and pushing it ahead. Yes theres a button for pushing it ahead, but a player should be doing that automatically when hes skating hard unless hes making a play at the blue line or something.

One last thing - I took a one timer with I think Skinner in uhl...he dropped to one knee....it was so sick

One more last thing - From the sounds of it, they improved the logic in Be-a-gm! Theres nothing I love more than trying to rebuild a team in sports games and when all the players you draft are crappy regardless of draft position, or ask for insane amounts of money it ruins it. They said those are fixed so I am so stoked

Old
08-23-2011, 08:29 PM
dronald

I think those who complain about the hitting are just used to NHL 11 where every hit was a big hit. I'm so glad things are more realistic now, it seems true to what you see when watching a real Hockey game.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I'm writing this as I play:

Graphics: Somehow looks worse than NHL 11, almost grainy when I look at it from close.

Slapshots: Yup, slappers require more precision because the puck moves on its own, which I love. However, they did reduce the power of the slapshot from the point, and I think they should tune that because they barely bother the goaltender at this level.

Skating: Feels sluggish, not as realistic as what the NHL 11 demo felt. The skaters feel like they all move at the same speed though, but I liked the anticipation AI, I saw Mason Raymond skating almost to the other teams blueline even before I got the puck.

Hitting: Is broken. I don't know if its the whole "weight/strength matters!" business, but its completely whack how I line a guy up on the boards and crush him, and it seems like I barely budged him (although he does lose the puck). Other times, I barely touch them with H. Sedin and they go flopping on the ice. At this point, I would call the hitting awkward.

Goalies: Much better reactions to dekes. Thomas is able to make sprawling plays on my dekes, and I have to carefully pick my spots, which is good.

Take a slapshot with Shea Weber and you will see the difference...its not every player that have crazy hard slapshots

Old
08-23-2011, 08:44 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Disappointed they didn`t take the 1 2 deke on the computer D out. This ruins both offline and online play. (OTP for me).

Same commentary 3 years in a row, shows how EA Vancouver are trying to be cheap since they have no competition this year.

Physics and detection are a bit better, but for the most part feels like the same game from last year, with the same Major problems.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan182018 View Post
Take a slapshot with Shea Weber and you will see the difference...its not every player that have crazy hard slapshots
Why do people assume things? I've taken slappers with Chara and that's the conclusion I came to.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:50 PM
BluelineHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeeeaaaal View Post
Nothing personal dude, but I think it's even more pathetic that everyone gets so upset about it. Who cares if some guy you've never met doesn't like the game and won't explain why. Let's move on with our lives.

It's pretty easy to visit this thread 3 or 4 times a day and just skip over all of the childish banter and actually read informative posts.
That is fair, but just as you felt the need to answer my post some of us are sick and tired of hearing the crying about how awful the game is for no intelligent reason and ask for explanations of what people mean by what they say. I'm always open to hearing different points of view, and compliment those that bring up good points, good or bad, but the whining is useless and if confronting it it brings even a few people who do it to actually bring something intelligent to the table then I feel it's worth challenging in the first place.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've gotten away with interference numerous times. It's not even funny how far out of the net the D can play the body.

Old
08-23-2011, 09:06 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I've gotten away with interference numerous times. It's not even funny how far out of the net the D can play the body.
I've noticed this too and I don't like it. People used to say interference was 50/50 but so far it's 10/90.

Old
08-23-2011, 09:21 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
^I think they are showing the in front of net battles right now. I'm sure it'll get toned down.

Old
08-23-2011, 09:22 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Closed Thread