HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

NHL 12 Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2011, 09:28 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
I've noticed this too and I don't like it. People used to say interference was 50/50 but so far it's 10/90.
Idk, I've had a few legit goals not count because of ******** goalie interference calls already.

Yep, feels like the NHL alright.

Old
08-23-2011, 10:03 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I dont know what you guys are talking about, I love the hitting. In nhl 11 i always turned it all the way down and there still were too many lay out hits. Now there still seems to be too many but its much better.

Also, the new animations for protecting the puck make it a lot easier to drive the net or actually "protect the puck" haha.

It's about time they got the flippin skating right. Players skate with the puck with one hand all the time in real life! literally every time a player accelerates hes carrying it with one hand and pushing it ahead. Yes theres a button for pushing it ahead, but a player should be doing that automatically when hes skating hard unless hes making a play at the blue line or something.

One last thing - I took a one timer with I think Skinner in uhl...he dropped to one knee....it was so sick

One more last thing - From the sounds of it, they improved the logic in Be-a-gm! Theres nothing I love more than trying to rebuild a team in sports games and when all the players you draft are crappy regardless of draft position, or ask for insane amounts of money it ruins it. They said those are fixed so I am so stoked
Except they didn't from the sounds of people who have gotten their hands on a copy. That's the main reason I don't want this game. I do think the demo feels different in subtle ways and is an improvement though. One thing I really don't like are most of the animations when you lay a guy out, it's too much of a flop down immediately. Also, the size matters thing was almost thrown out the window when I laid out Chara with Zetterberg.

Old
08-23-2011, 10:09 PM
dronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
I wouldn't call scoring on a shot a glitch.

It's going to happen every now and then in NHL, goalies will get scored on.

Old
08-23-2011, 10:18 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
How is that a glitch. Only thing bad I see there is still bad AI. It's a player deking than shooting.

Old
08-23-2011, 10:35 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Clearly, people don't know what an actual glitch is. That is not a glitch.

Old
08-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Downloading the demo now - it's moving surprisingly fast. 13% done - 40 minutes to go. Can't wait to try it out!

Old
08-23-2011, 10:52 PM
FConquest

im not sure if someone has said this already so im sorry if im repeating myself but, i feel like the defense is a little annoying. the 2 defenders , when im going into the offensive zone, mirror each other waving their sticks back and forth. it looks strange but that might just be me.. i just do not like the stick checking overall. and also running into people in the slightest of ways prevents me from shooting.... that gets annoying but i guess thats kinda realistic. im staying optimistic.

Old
08-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Bridges31

The only thing that bugs me so far is when I'm taking a faceoff in be a pro and I tie up the puck, my wingers just skate away from the circle and they don't try to help.

Old
08-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Yeah you always get these videos, calling cross crease one timers glitch goals cause they score often, even though that makes perfect sense. The worst offender is the curve shot, which I keep hearing people insist is in the game...

I think people need a refresher on what a glitch goal is:

Old
08-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Keeping Karlsson
Since 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
Yeah you always get these videos, calling cross crease one timers glitch goals cause they score often, even though that makes perfect sense. The worst offender is the curve shot, which I keep hearing people insist is in the game...

I think people need a refresher on what a glitch goal is:

but that's footage from this year's game, isn't it?

Old
08-23-2011, 11:41 PM
vanboy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
pretty realistic fight....luongo beat out the classless thomas. surprised thomas didnt pick up his stick and butt end luongo's head when the ref is not looking

Old
08-23-2011, 11:45 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Two goals in one game have been negated bc of goalie interference, which was performed by the AI on my team. Is this happening to others? Kinda annoying.

Old
08-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Twenty One

I just fought Alex Burrows as Tim Thomas, I didn't expect us to be able to do that.

Old
08-24-2011, 12:02 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Two goals in one game have been negated bc of goalie interference, which was performed by the AI on my team. Is this happening to others? Kinda annoying.
Seen some reeeeal bad G I calls. See changes...dont see many improvements.

Old
08-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanboy99 View Post
pretty realistic fight....luongo beat out the classless thomas. surprised thomas didnt pick up his stick and butt end luongo's head when the ref is not looking
his hands were prolly busy holding the cup.

Old
08-24-2011, 12:51 AM
FConquest

another thing, chara and hamhuis got in a fight chara won obvs, but next shift chara is on the ice... hmmm...

Old
08-24-2011, 12:52 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
A glitch is when I score more goals than the sniveling 14 year old controlling an All-Star team.

Old
08-24-2011, 01:00 AM
LilySmoov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
The only thing that bugs me so far is when I'm taking a faceoff in be a pro and I tie up the puck, my wingers just skate away from the circle and they don't try to help.
This. 'Tis my only complaint so far. The opposition gets the puck every time and my AI does piss-all.

Edit: It happens to me in all game modes, not just BAP.

Old
08-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Eamonn*

Just played USA in the finals of the tournament.. down 2-1 with 20 seconds to go I go on a 2 on 1 with Stamkos and Huberdeau. I have the puck as Huberdeau and Stamkos just fkn completely destroys the goaltender out of nowhere, knocking the goalie to the bottom of the circle, NO PENALTY. Huberdeau then just shoots it into a wide open net to tie the game.. went on to win in OT.

I swear if that happens in the full game.. lolol

Old
08-24-2011, 01:06 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I enjoyed the demo.

Just the added weight to the players was a great addition, worst thing about the previous releases was floating out of position because ice is really slippery I guess? But we all know you don't just drift around.

AI wasn't terrible in any of the games I played and I noticed an increased variation in goals scored. Goalies seemed pretty decent and I also didn't have any unrealistic goalie contact or body checks.

I'll buy the full version.

Old
08-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Eh. It feels like a fine-tuned... (or at least, better tuned) version of last years game. Some of the anticipation AI is noticeable and that will be the biggest improvement, but most of what's in this game should have been in the last couple and the AI and such still needs a lot of work.

I thought the new abilities to battle in front of the net would play a much bigger role and that you could get more than a 1on1 pin against the boards, but I'm a little disappointed there. The AI is improved, but still not enough for a truly realistic experience. The puck physics and slight AI improvements do feel nice though.

Also, the graphics are ready for an overhaul. I'm sorry, it's usually not an important aspect for me, but they seem to be getting WORSE each year. The jerseys look terrible, and we know that EA is capable of making the fabric dynamic instead of having the weird stretching effects we get on the striping and namebars every year. Also, the gear is horrendous looking. By far, I've noticed each year that the gear gets worse and worse looking. The gloves are looking SO boxy this year and each finger is literally a rectangle. Pathetic. The least EA could do if they're going to barely change things (the improvements this year, while appreciated because it will make a slightly better overall hockey experience were WAY over hyped and I have a hard time believing they needed all this time to achieve so little) is upgrade the graphics a bit after what, 4-5 years? Again, graphics aren't that important to me, but I honestly think they're going downhill... which makes little sense.

Another positive I did notice though was the crowd seeming more alive and realistic, helping make for a more realistic overall feel. I know that with the player traits and slight AI improvements and such the gameplay IS improved, but it just feels like EA hyped it up significantly and could have done more than this. They didn't fully deliver on the live goalie business. The jostling in front of the net and battles along the boards are way less then I was expecting. Sure, the amount that is implemented is better than nothing, but it feels very half-assed. I'll be buying because I'm a hockey nut, and that's what I do. Knowing there's a version out there that's even slightly more realistic than what I'm currently playing is motivation enough to drop $60 for the whole year, but I have to say, if hockey wasn't my life, I'd be skipping this time. EA is getting a pass this season because of it's past success with the franchise, but they need to pick it up again.

Old
08-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Feels exactly the same as last year's to me. Can't say I have really enjoyed the game since '09, so I might just skip it altogether this year.

Old
08-24-2011, 01:23 AM
BluelineHammer

Some things I noticed, good and bad:

The good:
- The cut scenes during the game where they focus on one player and show three highlights of his play is fantastic, it's actually entertaining to watch between playing.
- The live puck is a big improvement. Shot from the right circle misses the net and as its coming around the boards its hops over a players stick, unlike NHL 11 where it would get glued to it.
- I noticed that lanes get closed quicker as well as better defense against the lanes that led to cheese goals in NHL11.
- The goalies are better.
- The benches look great.
- The fans look much better than last year where every 5th eat was the same person .
- Staying with the fans, their reactions seem more lively and responsive to gameplay.
- BAP feel so much better than 11, huge improvement so far

The bad:
- Someone already mentioned that hitting looks awkward, I have to agree. I had a few hits where a player will get hit some what regularly and the animation of their bodies seems to accelerate for a split second. Im not sure if this is explaining it right, but when you hit them, they begin their fall, speed up the fall and then slow down as they are falling to the ice. looks almost as if there is like a lag to the follow through after the speedup. I had one guy I caught sideways and their body did somewhat of a horizontal helicopter spin that also included this speedup and slowdown. Looked weird.
- A few people have mentioned that the hitting seems better (as in players not running each other over). I don't believe that is the case. We only get to play with two NHL teams and its hard to do damage unless you are using guys like Chara or Lucic. When you play the HUT demo and go up against the Sea Dogs you can pretty much run anyone over just like NHL11. I think as soon as you go into EASHL it will be the same environment again with the huge hits (and I'm ok with that, but some don't like it). I just hope that calls are made better, but I'm not holding my breath considering someone at EA last week said the reason hitting is the way it is is because of the entertainment, and if the refs made more calls people would sit the whole game in the box. I agree that's no fun, but it's also nowhere near realistic.
- The bumping the goalie animations after the whistle blows just look stupid. They look like fat chickens flapping their wings when they get bumped.
- HUT "potential" ratings : OMG, have these people lost their minds or does every popular prospect have a potential in the 90's? Skinner a 97 potential? That's nuts considering that in NHL11 you could go well past the potential depending on what upgrade cards you put on them. I really hope they make some adjustments before release.
- I like the net battles, but there should be two guys there battling. I pass the puck from point to point looking for a lane and all my forwards and 3 of their players are all wrestling in front of the goalie. It looked like a line of scrimmage on a goal line stand.

Overall I really like it so far, thumbs up.....so far.

Last edited by BluelineHammer: 08-24-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old
08-24-2011, 01:28 AM
LilySmoov

Another thing I've noticed: no checking from behind or boarding calls. I run guys constantly and have yet to get called once.

Old
08-24-2011, 01:37 AM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilySmoov View Post
Another thing I've noticed: no checking from behind or boarding calls. I run guys constantly and have yet to get called once.
No charging or elbowing either. And I've been absolutely nailing dudes into the glass.

Closed Thread