HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

NHL 12 Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2011, 01:42 AM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
They added more consumable slots and therefore you get the higher potential ratings. I think the max was 9 last year. Now I think you can have up to 14.

I liked the demo overall.

I'm glad the hitting got toned down. How many times do you see a guy get absolutely plastered? I hope this applies to EASHL because that turned into a football game in '11.

Players on your own team still block more shots than the opponent which is really annoying. Small sample size, but not as much as last year,but still annoying they don't even attempt to get out of the way.

Anyone have any tips for scoring in the shootout? It seems it's easier to shoot than deke this year. While I'm glad you can actually shoot and score on a breakaway, it would be nice to score from a variety of ways. Still can't open up the goalies legs and go five-hole.

Old
08-24-2011, 01:42 AM
InUtero
Oilers!

vCash: 50
has the demo froze on anyone else

Old
08-24-2011, 01:46 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

hitting people into the benches is so satisfying, I have yet to break the glass though

Old
08-24-2011, 01:59 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ales83Hemsky View Post
has the demo froze on anyone else
Yes mine, both times when I switched to Superstar Level Mode (in play now)...what about you?

Old
08-24-2011, 02:23 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Anyone having problems downloading the game through PSN? I'm stuck at 10% and it's been a while.

Old
08-24-2011, 02:35 AM
Dishtank

To be honest I like it more than 11 by a lot, harder to dangle. Hits arent as good and it seems AI is smarter. I like it tbh.

Old
08-24-2011, 02:59 AM
InUtero
Oilers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Yes mine, both times when I switched to Superstar Level Mode (in play now)...what about you?
In HUT at the start of a shootout against USA so i restarted and lost connection to EA servers in the middle of a game against USA...i just turned off my Xbox after that

Old
08-24-2011, 03:23 AM
MickOlax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
they killed the sticklift
Three thumbs up!

...You know what I mean.

-L-

Old
08-24-2011, 03:49 AM
CrashedFever

The game's pretty good. I love the new skating because it feels more fluid. Cross overs left and right seem more fluid. Shooting is an improvement from last year. The deking is really toned down from last year and that has its ups and downs. During 5v5 play I love that it's toned down because it got annoying when guys had like 99 puck control and just skated in circles and you couldn't poke the puck off of them. now its great because you can get a body on them and they lose the puck. However during the penalty shots and shootouts, it's atrocious. It's so slow to simply move the puck forehand to back hand.

The AI in the game is fantastic. I'm not sure why people think they went down. I like the fact that they aren't moving pylons anymore. But my main problem with the game is that the hitting sucks. Along the boards it's not bad, but open ice hits are just limp. I was skating as Johnny Boychuck and I lined up Daniel Sedin as he was entering my defensive zone. I cut across the middle the hit him and nothing. He just bounced off the hit and kept skating. He should have been on his ass, crying. It's just so unrewarding to hit people compared to last years game except when you break glass or hit people into the bench. I hope they turn it up for the retail release.

Old
08-24-2011, 03:50 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Dislikes:

Hipchecking is awful, not even realistic. You slightly touch a guy when your hunched over and they launch backwards, not flip over you like in NHL 11..

I noticed a potential glitch in the demo today when I kicked the puck in the net but was able to get a stick on it just before it crossed the line, it was still ruled no goal.

Bad ratings.. Lucic at 87, Ference at 83, Boychuk at 82 are just a quick sneak peek.

Shooting is incredible in this game. Finally they have made it realistic. Players can absolutely rip the puck these days so it's about time shots are actually fast and hard.

Skating is awesome, love the acceleration with the first few steps the players take, as well as better crossovers and IMO it seemed faster than NHL 11.

Overall I can live with the bad ratings and small glitches, however I'm very dissapointed with the hipchecking. It was a huge thing in NHL 11, and IMO was perfect before.

Old
08-24-2011, 03:56 AM
plaaplaa72

Send a message via MSN to plaaplaa72
Anybody else noticed the consumable cards in HUT which you can use to change the players position for example from LW to C, it increases Line Chemistry a bit if you have for example a LW as a Center.

Old
08-24-2011, 05:07 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Dislikes:
Bad ratings.. Lucic at 87, Ference at 83, Boychuk at 82 are just a quick sneak peek.

Shooting is incredible in this game. Finally they have made it realistic. Players can absolutely rip the puck these days so it's about time shots are actually fast and hard.
I wouldn't get too used to these. Player ratings are open to change every patch (Regehr was the highest rated defenseman at launch). Also, the shooting speed will probably also get patched. It was like this in NHL 11 where wristers were really fast and slappers were really weak. They changed it in the first patch.

Old
08-24-2011, 05:20 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
demo so far has done nothing to change my opinion that the nhl series is about as stale as a slice of two week old bread

i've played about 6 periods on allstar and hardcore so far, and the series still has workmanlike gameplay, but man...when you're getting passed in the presentation department by the madden series, alarm bells should be ringing

commentary remains disconnected and unchanged for about the 5th straight year, there's almost no enthusiasm when goals are scored, menus are still slow to navigate, there's no tv broadcast camera yet again, no between-period or post game highlight show...i mean, as an example of ea canada's lack of attention to detail, the production team is based in vancouver and are supposedly all canucks fans and yet rogers arena could be winnipeg arena for how generically it's designed, cory schneider is sitting on the bench with dark brown hair, and some generic coach has taken the place of alain vigneault

and as fair as the gameplay being near perfect and needing no ai tweaks...i see that some small improvements have been made in nhl 12, but some glaring issues - namely, the ease at which the cpu can enter the offensive zone and the ease that any player can do end-to-end rushes - remains completely unchanged...i mean, if my linemates are changing, i shouldn't be able to take dan hamhuis and rush up the ice against 5 bruins forwards to get a shot on net...it basically makes dump-and-chase worthless, neutral zone play nonexistent, and player/team differential insignificant

i was really hoping for improved gameplay this year to compensate for the lack of any notable additions whatsoever (legends!), and i hope that unlocking sliders and a tuner set can address some of these issues, but playing this demo is still a big downer

my love of hockey and hockey video games will make me buy this title but this year could be a real chore to play offline considering how much of a been-there-done-that feel it has

Old
08-24-2011, 05:47 AM
eli J
Claw Machine broke

Send a message via AIM to eli J
Just a couple of notes:

Commentary: Thorne and Clement were still on contract this year, right? I'm sick and tired of them, but I think this was the last year of that contract. Wouldn't be even slightly surprised if they don't get renewed and EA brings in a new team as one of the selling points of NHL 13.

Penalties: I don't recall what the settings were locked at in the demo, but don't forget that you can adjust this in the full game... hopefully they were scaled low so if you crank them up, you'll start to see more charging/boarding/elbowing calls. This annoyed me about NHL 11, the CPU would take 20 tripping penalties a game and nothing else.

Old
08-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Delayed Offside

I played it a bit last night and I enjoyed it. It helps that I sold NHL11 back in May so it feels like a new game to me. If I still had 11, it would feel pretty lackluster.

I don't put too much stock in the demo as there are lots of options that I cannot control but it looks good. Looking forward to the full version.

Old
08-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Anyone know what time the EU PSN store is updated? Just looked and couldn't find it.

Old
08-24-2011, 08:04 AM
MickOlax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Dislikes:Bad ratings.. Lucic at 87, Ference at 83, Boychuk at 82 are just a quick sneak peek.
I wouldn't say that the ratings are bad just yet. It seem that they've just generally changed the way they rate NHL players. It seems that the overall range for NHL players this year is about 90-80 (All the regular 4th liners were in the 80's range, even Glass was 79) where as last year it was like 90-75. Junior players are 70-60 and european league/AHL players are generally in the 80-65 range.

This change is really good IMO if it's really carried over to the full game and to all teams. By playing HUT in the demo you could really see that this fits most of the players. All the first liners are in the 91-87 range (Stamkos & Sedins 91, Perry 90, Kesler 88 etc.), second liners in the 86-83 range (Horton 85, Grabner 83, McDonald 84), thrid liners in the 82-81 range (Malhotra 82, Bergenheim 81, Torres 81) and fourth liners are in the 81-79 range (Campbell 81, Glass 79).

This also goes with the defensemen this year. 1-2 D-men are in the 91-87 range (Chara 91, Keith 89, Seabrook 87), 3-4 D-men are in the 86-83 range (Kaberle 84, Seidenberg 83), 5-6 D-men are in the 82-79 range (Boychuk 82, Alberts 80, Brookbank 80).

All the 13th forwards/7th d-men (Very good AHL players, below average NHL'ers) seem to be in the 79-something range (Glass 79, Hnidy 78, Rome 79).

That being said, Bostons Ference and Lucic are maybe overrated by 1 or 2 points but not really that much. Meanwhile basically every Canucks D-man outside of Ballard seem to be overrated by at least 2 points. Hamhuis and Bieksa are both good top 4 D-men and should be at least in the 84 range, Salo is better than 80 for sure and Edler should be in the 84 range as well. With the current rankings Kaberle and Ference would be Vancouvers top 2 D-men.

This new rating could really work well if it's carried to the whole game (every league, every team) well since it brings the right balance between different leagues. No more random superstars in the Czech leagues while meantime the best players in the finnish SM-league are like 72.

Can't wait to see how all the other ratings pan out in the real game.

Oh yeah, and btw... I really liked the demo! Seem to be in the minority here..

-L-

Old
08-24-2011, 08:18 AM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
I think it's decent now. The 2 things that really bother me is the hitting seems to have 0 impact and the AI is the worst I have ever seen. This means I'm going to have to tweak the sliders in the full game to try and get a half decent AI and try to get the hitting to have some impact.

Also to reiterate my earlier question, how do I get the 2 HuT packs from the demo? I invited a friend and what's the other, or is there even 2 packs I can get?

Old
08-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilySmoov View Post
Another thing I've noticed: no checking from behind or boarding calls. I run guys constantly and have yet to get called once.
I got 3 boarding calls in my first game. You aren't trying hard enough if you can't get at least one. I always get at least 5 boarding/hitting from behind calls in a complete game in NHL 11 and it looks like it will be the same on NHL 12.

Old
08-24-2011, 08:35 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli J View Post
Just a couple of notes:

Commentary: Thorne and Clement were still on contract this year, right? I'm sick and tired of them, but I think this was the last year of that contract. Wouldn't be even slightly surprised if they don't get renewed and EA brings in a new team as one of the selling points of NHL 13.

Penalties: I don't recall what the settings were locked at in the demo, but don't forget that you can adjust this in the full game... hopefully they were scaled low so if you crank them up, you'll start to see more charging/boarding/elbowing calls. This annoyed me about NHL 11, the CPU would take 20 tripping penalties a game and nothing else.
It's not Thorne's or Clement's fault that EA was too lazy to implement any new commentary.

Old
08-24-2011, 08:40 AM
ceciltaylor

If you beat Team USA in the HUT Tournament, you get a Jumbo pack for NHL12 instead of a normal pack. The other pack you get for inviting someone.

Old
08-24-2011, 08:48 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

What's with the shade around the net?

Old
08-24-2011, 08:54 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Skate in, protect puck, before the hashmarks of the face off circle, the cpu won't hit you.. use them as a screen, shoot and score.

cut out from behind the goal line and shoot far side, goalie loads and makes a stupid leg save animation, usually a goal every time.

Shoot mid-low short side, the goalie glitches off the post and the lively pads/puck make it bounce in.

Stickhandling speed is still a huge piss off.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:00 AM
TK42OnE

Disappointed.

It's not bad... actually far from it, but its just not different enough to see spending $60 dollars.

The series has become stale. I was really really hoping for NCAA teams this time around to give at least a bit of a shot in the arm to the franchise, but no.

I don't really care enough about playing with Gretzky, or any of the other legends, to bother, and actually EA just comes off as desperate to copy the success of NBA2K11.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:21 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK42OnE View Post
Disappointed.

It's not bad... actually far from it, but its just not different enough to see spending $60 dollars.

The series has become stale. I was really really hoping for NCAA teams this time around to give at least a bit of a shot in the arm to the franchise, but no.

I don't really care enough about playing with Gretzky, or any of the other legends, to bother, and actually EA just comes off as desperate to copy the success of NBA2K11.
And watch, they'll take away the legends next year and bring them back five years from now as a "new" feature. Just like broken glass, goalie fights, etc...

Last edited by JVR21: 08-24-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Closed Thread