HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Bolts BB Glossary v3.0

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Bolts BB Glossary v3.0

The early Lightning message board users left us the equivalent of cave paintings known as the 'Bolts BB Glossary'. A Rosetta Stone which translates for us their early attempts at communication.

Some say the first version of the glossary was simply a series of grunts and lost to the mists of time. Some also say it can be found using the search function.

The 2nd version can be found here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=74597

This later version of thread shows a surprising amount of sophistication for the people of their age. However, no tools were found on the thread, so we don't know how it was made. The History Channel of contemporary times would suggest alien intervention as the likely culprit. The fact is, we may never know the truth, but aliens sounds like a pretty solid argument.

For the sake of future generations, and the people discovering the team right now, I say we gather our thinking and make a 3rd version of their glossary.

What nicknames and Lightning related terminology should be included in our version?

Tampa Bay Lightning Bulletin Board Glossary 3.0

(May contain nuts)

1-3-1: The Cory Murphy of hockey systems.

19/3: The off-topic thread.

The Alaskan Assassin: The nickname preferred by Nate Thompson, and few others.

ALL IN.:
"Either you're ALL IN, or you're not." --Felonious Python

Andy: Dave Andreychuk.

Anything: What Guy Boucher does not do, in his own words. The players do everything.

Ashton Carter:
Possibly Anson Carter, also see "Ashton, Carter".

Bbo:
Shorthand for Brandon Bochenski.

Boucherism: The catch-all term for the quotable and memorable phrases Guy Boucher has a habit of coming up with.

Boyle's Timing: "I got tired of people asking me the back story behind Boyle's Timing." --Patrickov

BP: Shorthand for Lightning prospect website BoltProspects

BriseBois!!!!: A cry to the heavens when designated management scapegoat Julien BriseBois makes a personnel move that isn't agreed with, whether or not there's any evidence to indicate his involvement. Often appears in red.

Bugsy: Nickname for Ryan Malone. The name stems from the 1976 musical film 'Bugsy Malone'.

Carter Ashton: see "Carter, Ashton".

Chief: Bobby "The Chief" Taylor, color commentator for SunSports broadcasts of Lightning games.

Chewy: Paul Szczechura.

Cory Murphy: "Physical. Specimen. He broke his stick on his second shift. If that isn't the sign of a beast, I don't know what is." --Felonious Python

Cowboys: Used to describe at the time new owners Oren Koules and Len Barrie by John Tortorella.

#DanEllisProblems: Dan Ellis' money problems / Dan Ellis' goaltending problems

DC: Shorthand for the St. Pete Times Lightning beat writer Damian Cristodero.

DNA Line: The Tyrell/Thompson/Hall 4th line (Dana, Nate, Adam) that "carry the culture of the team." They have won and symbolize Boucher's DNA Cape Award which is handed out to the player or players who best exemplify the building blocks, the DNA, of the team.

DOH Line: The Darche/Halpern/Ouellet line that went on a tear at the end of the 07-08 season. --OptimismRestrainer

EE: Shorthand for the Tampa Tribune's Lightning beat writer Erik Erlendsson.

Fluke: The 28 game winning streak by the 2012 Norfolk Admirals. According to Tyler Johnson's twitter: 28's a fluke, 29's a streak.

Forever Malone: Mutation of the 'Forever alone' internet meme centered around Ryan Malone.

Gary Boucher: Bizarro world version of Guy Boucher. Spoken of when a decision that seems to have been made by him feels out of character. Name originates from an internet article misidentifying Guy as 'Gary'. Bizarro Boucher does not have a scar.

Hedlock: A Victor Hedman headlock, first seen against Angelo Esposito in the 09 WJC gold medal game. --Moo

Hedmonster: "Boucher called him a monster so Hedman + monster = Hedmonster" --TheDaysOf 04

Honey Badger: Nickname for Cory Conacher from a Norfolk Admiral trainer because "he takes what he wants"

Intense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJSEOnxQw3g

LK2: Shorthand for Lukáš Krajíček.

M-16: Marty, Vinny, and Stammer on the same line, ie., What poor Ty Conklin had to face on a 4-on-3 PK for a full minute in OT....

MAB: Shorthand for Marc-André Bergeron.

Marty: Martin St. Louis.

Mighty Mite: Martin St. Louis.

MSL: Shorthand for Martin St. Louis.

The Mullet: Nickname for Barry Melrose. He's known for the mullet hairstyle he's worn for many years, even long after it had gone out of style. More famous for being an analyst on ESPN than having coached the LA Kings, The Mullet was the first coach hired by Koules and Barrie, replacing John Tortorella. It's notable that during his time with Tampa Bay, he did not sport the hair style. It can be concluded from this that the lack of a mullet was likely the deciding factor in the decision to fire him only 16 games into his tenure. Mullets command respect.

MVP Line: The line of St. Louis, Lecavalier and Prospal that found consistent success with the Lightning.

Muhammad Aulie: Keith Aulie when he fights.

Nacho: Ryan Malone created nickname for Pierre-Cedric Labrie for his likenesses to Nacho Libre.

Nyankos: An animated gif created during Stammergeddon by TheDaysOf 04. It may be seen here. It plays on the "Nyan Cat" meme that had become popular around the same time.

Oberging: Term used to describe Evan Oberg racking up frequent flyer miles in 2011-12 by being recalled by Tampa 10 times and traveling back to Norfolk with little playing time in the NHL. His mileage tracker was created by the Lightning.

Ohlund-wan Kenobi: A nickname used to convey Mattias Ohlund's relationship to fellow Swedish defenseman, padawan Victor Hedman.

Panik Attack, y'all: The celebration after a Richard Panik goal originated from BoltProspects.

PK: Shorthand for shorthanded, also used as a shorthand alternative for SunSports' Paul Kennedy.

Pool Noodle: James Wright, who tried to check and bounced off players his rookie season in the NHL.

Pressure: What Guy Boucher puts in his tires.

Private Emergency (and it's variants): Richard Panik.

R2: Shorthand for Evgeny Artyukhin. Appropriate, as it's often how he left us.

Revenge For Downie!:
Payback because some things are hard to let go of.

RP: Shorthand for the Lightning's tv play-by-play man Rick Peckham.

The Saskatchewian Chara:
Cory Sarich. --Lecavilier_4

SFY: GM God, Steve ****ing Yzerman. --johnniewalker

Smellis: The goaltending duo of Mike Smith and Dan Ellis.

Smith + Something Nice (1st/Ashton): ≠ Smith + Something Nice (1st/Ashton) --Chris Shafer

Smoke: Radek Smolenak.

SOB:
Shorthand for Shane O'Brien.

Stamkos: Is not ready for the NHL.

Stammer: Steven Stamkos.

Stammer Time: The celebration after a Steven Stamkos goal accompanied by MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This".

Stammergeddon: (July 1 - 19, 2011) Notable for what effectively became a siege on Lightning fans due to constant attacks across the internets by troll skirmishers regarding Steven Stamkos' future with the Lightning.

Structure: Playing the game according to plan, with discipline and intensity.

St. Downkos: The line of Downie, Stamkos, and St. Louis.

Surge: A nickname for Sean Bergenheim derived from TB PbP commentator Rick Peckham misidentifying Sean as 'Serge'.

Tampacuse: Tampa Bay infused with Syracuse Crunch talent in 2013

Textbook: Guy Boucher's nickname for Nate Thompson which prompted his teammates to call him Nate Boucher. The nickname came from Thompson's quick understanding of and adherence to Boucher's intended style of play.

Tik: Dustin Tokarski.

Tokjanius:
The 3 headed monster consisting of Dustin Tokarski, Jaroslav Janus, and Riku Helenius that shared goaltending duties for the Norfolk Admirals at the beginning of the 09-10 season.

Untrustworthy Hair: The famous hair that you can trust when making a deal with Brian Lawton. --Untamable

Vinny: Vincent Lecavalier.

The Yzerman Effect: "A player, or executive wanting to come here solely based on the idea that they would be working under the hockey legend, Steve Yzerman." --gobolt7

Z: Shorthand for Zenon Konopka.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 04-07-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old
08-23-2011, 08:48 PM
IdealisticSniper

All I know is Cory Murphy needs to be the only entry.

Old
08-24-2011, 01:46 AM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Here are some

The Alaskan Assassin: Nate Thompson preferred nickname

ALL IN.: "Either you're ALL IN, or you're not." --Felonious Python

Ashton Carter: Possibly Anson Carter

Bbo: Shorthand for Brandon Bochenski

Boyle's Timing: "I got tired of people asking me the back story behind Boyle's Timing." --Patrickov

Chewy: Paul Szczechura

Cory Murphy: "Physical. Specimen. He broke his stick on his second shift. If that isn't the sign of a beast, I don't know what is." --Felonious Python

Cowboys: Used to describe at the time new owners Oren Koules and Len Barrie by John Tortorella.

#DanEllisProblems: Dan Ellis' money problems / Dan Ellis' goaltending problems

DNA Line: The Tyrell/Thompson/Hall 4th line (Dana, Nate, Adam) that "carry the culture of the team." They have won and symbolize Boucher's DNA Cape Award which is handed out to the player or players who best exemplify the building blocks, the DNA, of the team.

DOH Line: The Darche/Halpern/Ouellet line that went on a tear at the end of the 07-08 season --OptimismRestrainer

Hedlock: A Victor Hedman headlock, first seen against Angelo Esposito in the 09 WJC gold medal game. --Moo

LK2: Shorthand for Lukáš Krajíček

MAB: Shorthand for Marc-André Bergeron

Pool Noodle: James Wright who tried to check and bounced off players his rookie season in the NHL

Revenge For Downie!: Payback because some things are hard to let go of.

The Saskatchewian Chara: Cory Sarich --Lecavilier_4

SFY: GM God, Steve ****ing Yzerman --johnniewalker

Smith + Something Nice (1st/Ashton): ≠ Smith + Something Nice (1st/Ashton) --Chris Shafer

Smoke: Radek Smolenak

SOB: Shorthand for Shane O'Brien

Stammer Time: The celebration after a Steven Stamkos goal accompanied by MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This".

Surge: Rick Peckham calling Sean Bergenheim as Surge Bergenheim

Textbook: Guy Boucher's nickname for Nate Thompson which prompted his teammates to call him Nate Boucher.

Tik: Dustin Tokarski

Tokjanius: The 3 headed monster consisting of Dustin Tokarski, Jaroslav Janus, and Riku Helenius that shared goaltending duties for the Norfolk Admirals at the beginning of the 09-10 season.

Untrustworthy Hair: The famous hair that you can trust when making a deal with Brian Lawton. --Untamable

The Yzerman Effect: "A player, or executive wanting to come here solely based on the idea that they would be working under the hockey legend, Steve Yzerman." --gobolt7

Z: Shorthand for Zenon Konopka

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 08-24-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old
08-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 8237
Awards:
Very nice TDof04.. Don't forget to add in 19/3..

Old
08-24-2011, 10:27 AM
newham89

Smellis - Smith & Ellis

Old
08-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristia28 View Post
Very nice TDof04.. Don't forget to add in 19/3..
I'd like to discuss 19/3's inclusion. Would it be better for some things not to be put right out there? I'm normally in favor of making things accessible for the common man, but leaving a few things as masonic-type symbols shrouded in a poorly hidden mystery is fun too.

What about the starting period of the glossary? Since there's been a significant gap in the time since the last one, where does this one 'begin'? Should it pick up right where the last one left off, or with more recent times?

Old
08-24-2011, 12:23 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Wow, pretty good list already.

Do we add rather obvious or known ones like MSL, Bugsy, The Downie, etc?

Old
08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
BoltSTH

The Mullet: Coach so inept fired after 15 games

Old
08-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Wow, pretty good list already.

Do we add rather obvious or known ones like MSL, Bugsy, The Downie, etc?
I've added MSL and Bugsy. I'm not sure about 'The Downie'.

The Mullet will be in.

Old
08-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Benders Lindyhop

How about Boucher's M16 line?

Old
08-24-2011, 02:21 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
How about Boucher's M16 line?
Good idea! The original quote:
Quote:
Boucher also has experimented with a line of Lecavalier, St. Louis and Stamkos.

"You know what it does, it sparks up things," Boucher said. "Once in a while, you see the game is going okay, it's not enough for me. It's like, 'Okay, let's get our M-16 out.' "
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1125738.ece

Old
08-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I'd like to discuss 19/3's inclusion. Would it be better for some things not to be put right out there? I'm normally in favor of making things accessible for the common man, but leaving a few things as masonic-type symbols shrouded in a poorly hidden mystery is fun too.

What about the starting period of the glossary? Since there's been a significant gap in the time since the last one, where does this one 'begin'? Should it pick up right where the last one left off, or with more recent times?

I'm ok with it staying a mystery to everyone but long time Lightning fans..

Untrustworty Hair ---aka The Hair

Old
08-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

What about the definition of 'structure'? Anyone want to take a crack at that?

Old
08-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Intensity- Bouchers philosophy for life.

Old
08-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Maria

very nice work, I've been gone for a while so this really helps

Old
08-25-2011, 09:55 AM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

vCash: 742
Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
please add a link to my facebook up there too tia

Old
08-25-2011, 10:58 AM
IdealisticSniper

How about: I wont say anything, but I will always remember- BTN

Old
08-25-2011, 11:39 AM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
How about: I wont say anything, but I will always remember- BTN
tried to make a definition for it

I won't say anything, but I will remember.: The last recorded fight between Lightning and Thrashers fans on HF. I won't say anything now that the Thrashers are no more, but I will always remember. --btn

Old
08-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
"I won't say anything but I will always remember what it's like to attend an NHL game in my city."

08-25-2011, 12:20 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post

I won't say anything, but I will remember.: The last recorded fight between Lightning and Thrashers fans on HF. I won't say anything now that the Thrashers are no more, but I will always remember. --btn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickov View Post
"I won't say anything but I will always remember what it's like to attend an NHL game in my city."

Old
08-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:

Hmm...I'm not sure it paints a complete picture of the phrase's use. IIRC, it was a Boucherism (something else I need to add) where in a post game press conference, he answered a question about why the player's weren't showing more emotion to reporters after a disappointing loss (pretty sure it was to Atlanta) and Boucher replied with something to the effect of "they won't say..."

It was only after that, we began to use it to haunt other teams fans for unchecked hubris.

Did I get structure right? Playing the game according to plan, with discipline and intensity.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 08-25-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old
08-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

Awards:
1-3-1

Old
08-25-2011, 05:05 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

The degrees of separation for Jim Paek

Old
08-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristia28 View Post
1-3-1
I actually was struggling not to write two paragraphs on the 1-3-1, but then it occurred to me what it really was.

Quote:
The degrees of separation for Jim Paek
Jim Paek should be forgotten by history for what he didn't do with the Seals. He will not find solace in this glossary.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 08-25-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old
08-25-2011, 11:34 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Hmm...I'm not sure it paints a complete picture of the phrase's use. IIRC, it was a Boucherism (something else I need to add) where in a post game press conference, he answered a question about why the player's weren't showing more emotion to reporters after a disappointing loss (pretty sure it was to Atlanta) and Boucher replied with something to the effect of "they won't say..."

It was only after that, we began to use it to haunt other teams fans for unchecked hubris.

Did I get structure right? Playing the game according to plan, with discipline and intensity.
Sometimes its hard to tell when you are being sarcastic or a smart ass haha. But if this was in fact serious its not the correct origin for it.

If it was, carry on.

Closed Thread