HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Healthy Hodgson looms large in Canucks’ plans

Old
08-24-2011, 01:45 PM
vadim sharifijanov

vCash: 500
was i out taking a leak when aaron rome somehow became the new bertuzzi? let it go people.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:53 PM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Claude Noel, you know, his coach down there.
Do you have a link? I've never heard this.

By most accounts he had a pretty up and down season.

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:55 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Just carrying the logic used to justify Rome's hit to the extreme.
I don't see them as similar. Rome's hit, despite being late, during game play. He hit an oncoming player with his head down. It might be tenuous, but you can legitimately make the claim that a player is responsible for having his head up skating over the blueline to enter the attacking zone.

Hunter hit a guy who was celebrating a goal. The play was long since over and there's no conceivable reason why a player should have to "keep his head up" there.

I get that you're questioning the logic of "keep your head up," but the two situations aren't analogous at all.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:59 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJibbs View Post
Do you have a link? I've never heard this.

By most accounts he had a pretty up and down season.
I tried to find it but I couldn't. I remember the comment, I believe it was after the Canucks had called him up for the playoffs. Noel had very high praise for Cody but not much good to say about his line mates and their lack of finish.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:29 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bert0 Lu0ng0 View Post
I don't see them as similar. Rome's hit, despite being late, during game play. He hit an oncoming player with his head down. It might be tenuous, but you can legitimately make the claim that a player is responsible for having his head up skating over the blueline to enter the attacking zone.

Hunter hit a guy who was celebrating a goal. The play was long since over and there's no conceivable reason why a player should have to "keep his head up" there.

I get that you're questioning the logic of "keep your head up," but the two situations aren't analogous at all.
Of course they're not the same -- I was carrying the "keep your head up" logic to the extreme. Admittedly, it's too extreme since it's not in play anymore; I should have gone with any number of extremely late hits (but then people would just argue those), or perhaps the McSorley on Brashear example was more fitting... That aside, the point is simply that while a player should always try to be aware of their surroundings, Horton was in such a position that keeping his head up shouldn't be a necessity since the hit was so late. I don't think Rome's hit was dirty or a cheap shot, but to say it was clean is in my mind ridiculous, and I just couldn't leave it alone, especially when using the Don Cherry logic of "keep your head up."

Anyway, enough derailing of the thread. I'm really looking forward to seeing Hodgson this year. While his first couple steps lack explosiveness, I think the questioning of his skating and his speed belie his true top speed and more importantly his intelligence and ability to be in the right spot. The time lost to injury is certainly a setback, but I still expect him to be a top-6 forward.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Just a reminder - this topic is about Cody Hodgson, not Aaron Rome, Todd Bertuzzi or questionable hits.

Stay on topic, please.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I tried to find it but I couldn't. I remember the comment, I believe it was after the Canucks had called him up for the playoffs. Noel had very high praise for Cody but not much good to say about his line mates and their lack of finish.
I don't think it was from the coach. I remember a some posters on here who watch a lot of Moose games saying that Hodgson was their best player on most nights, but I don't remember the coach saying it.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Lz68

Post 159 from the call up thread has the quote from a radio interview;

Earlier tonight, Claude Noel was on Team1040.

He said Hodgson was their best forward, that he led the team consistently in scoring chances and if he had a finisher on the line, he likely would have 70+ points.

Lz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Proto

When Cody Hodgson was first drafted and followed it up with such a great season as the player of the year, it was hard not to be excited about his potential. He seemed like a sure-fire hit. But several years (and surgeries) later, and the waters have been muddied: his future is questionable. He has been downgraded to a questionable hit.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
When Cody Hodgson was first drafted and followed it up with such a great season as the player of the year, it was hard not to be excited about his potential. He seemed like a sure-fire hit. But several years (and surgeries) later, and the waters have been muddied: his future is questionable. He has been downgraded to a questionable hit.
Fantastic stuff.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:05 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz68 View Post

He said Hodgson was their best forward, that he led the team consistently in scoring chances and if he had a finisher on the line, he likely would have 70+ points.
Aah thanks, that was the exact quote I was trying to remember.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 06:53 PM
PhillyFrisco

I think Hodge Podge will be a stud however he probably won't reach his full potential until he starts receiving 1C or 2C minutes.

PhillyFrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:21 PM
xtr3m

Cody is currently at the week long BioSteel camp in Toronto with dozens of other NHL'ers.

Quote:
Team Matt Nichol: Mike Cammalleri, Tyler Seguin, PK Subban, Paul Bissonnette, David Clarkson, Andrew Cogliano, Matt Stajan, Daniel Winnik, Raffi Torres, Ryan Ellis, Nik Antropov, Brendan Smith, Mike McKenzie, Greg Stewart, Jay Harrison, Tyler Cuma, Jason Wilson, Nail Yakupov, Alex Galchenyuk

Team Gary Roberts: Steven Stamkos, Stephen Weiss, Wojtek Wolski, Jeff Skinner, Steve Downie, James Neal, Cody Hodgson, Chris Tanev, Peter Holland, Spencer Abbott, Cameron Gaunce, John Mitchell, Mike Neal, Brandon Burlon, Ethan Werek, Chris Terry, Matt Beleskey

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2140105/
What goes on in there (watch yer volume!):

xtr3m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Cody is currently at the week long BioSteel camp in Toronto with dozens of other NHL'ers.

That looks more than grueling. Cody must really, really want it. That's the most important intangible of all will beats skill 10 out of 10 times.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:47 PM
CanucksOo

Quote:

Yakupov looking good in that video. Some sick hands. Hopefully he drops to 30th in the 2012 draft

CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

I Really hope CoHo gets into a groove tis year and plays well in the top 6, I wanna see if coach V might put him with the Sedins for a game, when Cody was drafted they said his Hockey Smarts and his Vision were his main strongpoints, i could see Hodgson and the Sedin's having a connection , they play somewhat similar.I wonder what they do with Cody when Kesler and the rest of the 2nd line get back though

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

Quote:

Sure looks Like Nail Yakupov has got what it takes Skill Wise to go #1 next year.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ernie

Is Tanev training with Gary Roberts this season as well?

Weird that the Canucks' two top prospects are working with him.. isn't this supposed to be Dave Gagner's job? Have the Canucks lost confidence in him?

Edit: confirmation that Tanev is indeed training with Roberts this summer.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../02/c8534.html

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThundaLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog bullets View Post
New article about that BioSteel training camp confirming that both Hodgson and Tanev (!) are there.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2140105/

Pretty awesome the calibre of players they're training with. Hodgson wants it!
It makes sense, because he has been training with Roberts for the past few seasons and Roberts is one of the two trainers at the camp.

ThundaLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:06 PM
windflare

Dave Gagner's job is not to run training camps. His job is to make sure the prospects are getting proper developmental guidance and receiving the best training in an environment suitable for them. In this case, the two Ontario boys are going with Roberts, who's based in Ontario.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Ernie

It used to be Gagner's job to run training camps. He was running the camp where Hodgson first threw out his back.

Here's a clip from 2008 with Hodgson and Sauve..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkqqKGi3hTk

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:16 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz68 View Post

The original claim was that Noel stated that Cody was their best player not best forward.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Moore Money

Quote:

what no Semin? I'm shocked.

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:49 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
Yakupov looking good in that video. Some sick hands. Hopefully he drops to 30th in the 2012 draft
His skating is elite as well. Dude is going to be a star. Probably could be the best pick since Crosby.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:24 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
It used to be Gagner's job to run training camps. He was running the camp where Hodgson first threw out his back.

Here's a clip from 2008 with Hodgson and Sauve..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkqqKGi3hTk
That was when Dave Gagner was transitioning from running his training facility as his main job, to becoming the Director of Player Development. In his current capacity, his job first and foremost is not to run 'camps' or direct training personally, but, as mentioned above, his job is to make sure the prospects are getting proper developmental guidance and receiving the best training in an environment suitable for them. He's NOT a personal prospect trainer.

Speculating that 'the Canucks lost confidence in him?' is just plain silly, if one doesn't even look properly at his job description.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote