HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Healthy Hodgson looms large in Canucks’ plans

Old
08-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
I Really hope CoHo gets into a groove tis year and plays well in the top 6, I wanna see if coach V might put him with the Sedins for a game, when Cody was drafted they said his Hockey Smarts and his Vision were his main strongpoints, i could see Hodgson and the Sedin's having a connection , they play somewhat similar.I wonder what they do with Cody when Kesler and the rest of the 2nd line get back though
If Hodgson gets into a grove it will mean worlds to this team. I'd prefer him to click with Kesler over the Sedins though, as taking Burrows off that line really diminishes the forecheck. If he clicks with Kes and we can run a Hodgson-Kesler-Samuelsson line for much of the season then we'll be looking pretty good. That gives those 2 shooters a legit playmaker.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:41 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
That was when Dave Gagner was transitioning from running his training facility as his main job, to becoming the Director of Player Development. In his current capacity, his job first and foremost is not to run 'camps' or direct training personally, but, as mentioned above, his job is to make sure the prospects are getting proper developmental guidance and receiving the best training in an environment suitable for them. He's NOT a personal prospect trainer.

Speculating that 'the Canucks lost confidence in him?' is just plain silly, if one doesn't even look properly at his job description.
Roberts is one of the top trainers for NHL players right now. Gagner hasn't done much one on one training with players since taking on his role with the Canucks. He's more of an advisor to prospects.

crazycanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:23 PM
CanucksOo

Hodgson sighting @ 1:37! His total footage is like 5 seconds and I'm not even sure if he scored on that breakaway

CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:38 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Good Lord, that rush by Stamkos...

The raw power that some of those guys generate is spectacular.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:27 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Good Lord, that rush by Stamkos...

The raw power that some of those guys generate is spectacular.
Seguin's skating seems much stronger. And I agree about Stamkos.

They really seem to be focusing a lot on lower body strength and explosiveness in their stride.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Maccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
Sure looks Like Nail Yakupov has got what it takes Skill Wise to go #1 next year.
Yakupov is the kinda guy I'd love to see GMMG trade up to pick up, a good skilled forward who is a great skater. I love our team at the moment but i'd love to see us pick up another Bure type player. Problem is at the moment we don't really have any trade bait that we can offload!

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:24 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
Yakupov is the kinda guy I'd love to see GMMG trade up to pick up, a good skilled forward who is a great skater. I love our team at the moment but i'd love to see us pick up another Bure type player. Problem is at the moment we don't really have any trade bait that we can offload!
It would take just a tad in assets to "trade up" to 1st overall....Yakupov is a player.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Yakupov is top 5 for sure, I'd likely say #1. We don't have the assets to move up that high, we'll need to keep looking for late sleeper picks.

It's good to see Hodgson doing this camp, it really wouldn't surprise me if he made the team this season. This is the first offseason in a while where he was able to fully train without worrying about a lingering injury. Should be exciting.

Old
08-26-2011, 09:31 AM
arsmaster

Not sure how this turned into a draft thread, but I think we need one of those high end d-men in the system, a Trouba, Dumba type.

Wouldnt be sad with Yakupov if that could be pulled off though.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:01 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Not sure how this turned into a draft thread, but I think we need one of those high end d-men in the system, a Trouba, Dumba type.

Dumba would be great but he's a WHL kid, therefore the Canucks won't draft him.

crazycanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:06 AM
droller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borthy View Post
Lets face it....he was pretty bad last year in the NHL, the only reason he was playing was because of the poor center depth in the system. It's unfortunate that the injury seems to have set his development back a year or 2, but I guess we'll see how he is this year. Anyone with eyes could see he needs to work on getting significantly faster more than anything else.

I don't know why people think he's gonna be gift wrapped the #2 center spot to start the year. Is he a better option than Andrew Ebbett? He has about 150 games of NHL experience, been about a point-a-game guy in the AHL, and in his one year filling in on the top 6 on the Ducks put up 32 points in 48 games.
Lack of center depth? WTF

You know... it's usually a sign that your team HAS DEPTH when your 1st rounder isn't given a roster spot out of camp.

He has never been given the opportunity to play top 6 minutes in the NHL either. You saw him play with Tanner Glass all season. Cody will be given every opportunity to take a top 6 role this season and run with it.

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borthy View Post
Lets face it....he was pretty bad last year in the NHL, the only reason he was playing was because of the poor center depth in the system. It's unfortunate that the injury seems to have set his development back a year or 2, but I guess we'll see how he is this year. Anyone with eyes could see he needs to work on getting significantly faster more than anything else.

I don't know why people think he's gonna be gift wrapped the #2 center spot to start the year. Is he a better option than Andrew Ebbett? He has about 150 games of NHL experience, been about a point-a-game guy in the AHL, and in his one year filling in on the top 6 on the Ducks put up 32 points in 48 games.
The reason he was our 4C is a testament to our good center depth, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Henrik, Kesler, Malhotra, LaPierre, Hodgson.

Old
08-26-2011, 12:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Let's assume Hodgson has a season similar to what we saw from Logan Couture last year. The 1st overall pick would cost us Hodgson and Edler.

08-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Karl Hungus

Honestly I don't know much about the depth of the upcoming draft. It would be a surprise to see a Russian go first overall given the weight GMs have placed on the "Russian Factor" of late. Is Yakupov that good that teams would take a chance on him with their 1st overall pick?

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:15 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Let's assume Hodgson has a season similar to what we saw from Logan Couture last year. The 1st overall pick would cost us Hodgson and Edler.
The catch 22 is...any team we traded Hodgson and Edler to would possibly then be good enough to finish outside the lottery.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:34 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Honestly I don't know much about the depth of the upcoming draft. It would be a surprise to see a Russian go first overall given the weight GMs have placed on the "Russian Factor" of late. Is Yakupov that good that teams would take a chance on him with their 1st overall pick?
It's a bit different when a player is a lock to go that high in the draft and almost certain to become an impact player; typically the issue with Russians is that they might prefer the KHL to life as a fringe NHLer or even as an AHL regular, not that they might prefer the KHL to life in the NHL earning millions a year.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:07 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
What? are you saying a team wouldn't trade Couture straight up fo Yakupov right now?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Karl Hungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bert0 Lu0ng0 View Post
It's a bit different when a player is a lock to go that high in the draft and almost certain to become an impact player; typically the issue with Russians is that they might prefer the KHL to life as a fringe NHLer or even as an AHL regular, not that they might prefer the KHL to life in the NHL earning millions a year.
I believe that an agreement was signed that will prevent players from bolting on contracts as well, but still, if he's that good he might get just as much money or more to stay in Russia and keep enjoying his mama's home cooking.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
What? are you saying a team wouldn't trade Couture straight up fo Yakupov right now?
Yeah, Couture is already producing at a 50-60 point clip at the NHL level with plenty of growth to be had, do you really need to add Edler to the package? If Yakupov is as good as they say he is; then maybe a second pick or another prospect can be added to the package but surely not a 50+ points #1 d-man.

Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:32 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
I believe that an agreement was signed that will prevent players from bolting on contracts as well, but still, if he's that good he might get just as much money or more to stay in Russia and keep enjoying his mama's home cooking.
Possibly, but then what's he doing wasting his time playing in the OHL refining his n American game??
Pretty telling that he intends to play hockey in the NHL. The same goes for his buddy Galchenyuk.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:03 PM
RJC

Cody with some fine stickhandling at 1:40

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:32 PM
thefeebster

Quote:

Its time for you to start one!!

If these are the guys we are looking at, its going to be a tough, tough hangover year. Although, Dumba, Trouba, Schmaltz, Koekkoek would be a very nice consolation prize for not making the playoffs. I absolutely love the defensemen available in the 1st.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
He has never been given the opportunity to play top 6 minutes in the NHL either.
We had openings/issues in the top six all season long. He simply wasn't good enough to earn a place.

Hopefully, this year, he will be.

Old
08-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
We had openings/issues in the top six all season long. He simply wasn't good enough to earn a place.

Hopefully, this year, he will be.
Not at centre we didn't. Henrik and Kesler played all 82 games. Our top 2 centre positions were the least of our concerns last year. Malhotra got hurt after we got Lapierre so Lapierre moved to 3C and left a spot open on the 4th line. I don't see AV trying Hodgson on the wing just yet. Maybe eventually but not last year.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo Effect View Post
Not at centre we didn't. Henrik and Kesler played all 82 games. Our top 2 centre positions were the least of our concerns last year. Malhotra got hurt after we got Lapierre so Lapierre moved to 3C and left a spot open on the 4th line. I don't see AV trying Hodgson on the wing just yet. Maybe eventually but not last year.
After Mason Raymond failed at center.

I think Cody has all the tools, he just needs that extra step & burst of speed to make him a good player.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote