HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Healthy Hodgson looms large in Canucks’ plans

Old
08-26-2011, 11:52 PM
ddawg1950

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul View Post
After Mason Raymond failed at center.

I think Cody has all the tools, he just needs that extra step & burst of speed to make him a good player.
I'm just not sure of that's going to be there yet. So the question is, can Hodgson make this team while he develops that extra burst? When he did play the fourth line, I noticed that there was genuine offensive opportunities. If Hodgson gets to play with upper class shooters like Kes and Sammy...and produces, then I think the coaching staff might be willing to let the training help him develop the extra gear.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:27 AM
biturbo19

I really hope that the Kesler injury gives Hodgson the rope it takes with AV to show what he can do and stick with the team when Kesler returns. I don't really have much doubt that Hodgson CAN be a valuable contributor on this team, but he's not going to do it playing scared, looking over his shoulder at AV, afraid to make the natural play.

After all, the chance to see Hodgson flourish is about the only possible positive thing that could come out of the Kesler surgery/injury thing.

In any event, i think that building up that rapport with Coach V as quickly as possible is Hodgson's best bet in sticking. If he can slide into a temporary #2C role for the first few weeks of the season and come out as a net positive contributor, i'm hoping that would give Hodgson the time to adjust somewhat, without the immediate benchings most rookies are subject to under AV. Basically hoping that the injury situation and the need for a second line C might give Hodgson a bit more leeway in adapting to the NHL game (much like he'd likely receive on a rebuilding team). Could expediate his transition to the NHL, and ultimately give us that 2nd line playmaker we so desperately want.

Making the most ideal situation out of a kind of awful situation of course, but if Hodgson gets that leash to play with and comes in with the confidence to make plays without hesitation...i think we could see some good work done.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 01:46 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Continuation of the Cody saga from TG. I'm guessing he got that interview with Cody after the last article.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...060/story.html

Quote:
“It's been the best summer in a long time for me and I'm coming in as ready as I can be to help regardless of the roster, what positions are open or not or what the coach is thinking. It's his job to make those decisions and my job to be the best player I can be no matter where I'm used.”

Claude Lemieux
“I remember a situation in New Jersey about two months into the season I was at rock bottom and thinking 'I need to get out of here, I want a different start in a new organization.' But Lou Lamoriello [Devils GM] and I talked and he expressed faith in me, and a few months later I was the MVP of the playoffs. A fresh start in another city wasn't what I needed at all. I needed to make some adjustments in my attitude and look at the team around me differently.

“Vancouver is one of the best organizations in the game; why would you want to go to another team? You have to look at your surroundings in the right way and I think Cody's definitely doing that.”

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 04:00 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Hmm, it almost reads as though C. Lemieux would be a valuable addition to the Canuck staff, I would tend to agree.

Any Cup experience, especially of his quality, would be welcome.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 06:18 PM
thefeebster

Another uplifting article... what is this Bizarro world? Hahaha.

Anyways, read Anjus's (Dobber) tweet:
Quote:
Over-under: Hodgson 35 points, Edler 45 points, Sturm 40 points. #Canucks
Some of the responders have Hodgson as under 35 pts. I think given that he replaces Kesler for the time being plus is a key person on the 2nd PP, and then gets some chances 2nd/3rd line when Kesler returns, he will be over.

Your thoughts on Over or Under 35 pts? Or predictions for his point production this season?

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:32 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

Some of the responders have Hodgson as under 35 pts. I think given that he replaces Kesler for the time being plus is a key person on the 2nd PP, and then gets some chances 2nd/3rd line when Kesler returns, he will be over.

Your thoughts on Over or Under 35 pts? Or predictions for his point production this season?
I agree with the Edler and Sturm numbers. Tough to call with Hodgson though. IF he makes the roster out of training camp, I think he ends up with more than 35 points

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:58 PM
billvanseattle

If he is projecting under 35 points after a couple of weeks into the season, I suspect he won't be in Vancouver. He should easily be in the 40-50 range if he is playing on the 2nd line in Kesler's absence. Or the Canucks will have a scoring problem on their hands.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
If he is projecting under 35 points after a couple of weeks into the season, I suspect he won't be in Vancouver. He should easily be in the 40-50 range if he is playing on the 2nd line in Kesler's absence. Or the Canucks will have a scoring problem on their hands.
Didn't Kesler say he'd be back for game 1 of the regular season? I remember a quote of him saying hell be good to go at the start. Anyways, I still think Hodgson makes a big impact this year.... 50+ points. If not and he isn't on projection to that number and Lack starts tearing up the AHL and gets a few looks in the NHL and looks good....Than package Hodgson and Schneider. A lot of teams would bite at that especially ones that need goaltending and you can never have enough of blue chip centers. How could the Devils turn down that package? If the Devils feel contract talks with Parise aren't going well a package of Hodgson and Schneider is pretty solid.

Last edited by Nuck This: 08-28-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:50 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Didn't Kesler say he'd be back for game 1 of the regular season? I remember a quote of him saying hell be good to go at the start. Anyways, I still think Hodgson makes a big impact this year.... 50+ points. If not and he isn't on projection to that number and Lack starts tearing up the AHL and gets a few looks in the NHL and looks good....Than package Hodgson and Schneider. A lot of teams would bite at that especially ones that need goaltending and you can never have enough of blue chip centers. How could the Devils turn down that package? If the Devils feel contract talks with Parise aren't going well a package of Hodgson and Schneider is pretty solid.
Lack isn't playing in the NHL unless Luongo has a major injury that keeps him out for months.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:51 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Hodgson has no reason why he shouldn't make this team and have a great 1st season. Healthy training hard, great shape, great mindset and attitude and ready.

Old
08-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Lack isn't playing in the NHL unless Luongo has a major injury that keeps him out for months.
I'm not sure..... I could really see Lack getting a start just to get his feet wet and give him a little experience.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
I'm not sure..... I could really see Lack getting a start just to get his feet wet and give him a little experience.
Really doubt it unless there is an injured goalie.

I know Lack had a really good first season but im surprised at all the people earleir in the summer that thought he can come in & be a good back up for Luongo right away allowing us to unload Schneids. I just don't find that very realistic.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:02 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Nope not happening, a goalie would have to be out long term for Lack to start.

Old
08-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Looking forward to a fourth line of Raymond/Hodgson/Lapierre once everyone gets healthy. Gonna be wicked.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Konflickter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivangran View Post
Looking forward to a fourth line of Raymond/Hodgson/Lapierre once everyone gets healthy. Gonna be wicked.
I can see maybe Hansen on the 4th line, but not Raymond.

Konflickter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:03 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflickter View Post
I can see maybe Hansen on the 4th line, but not Raymond.
I agree that Raymond is not a 4th liner. And neither is Hansen. Hansen is a great 3rd liner who has not yet shown that he is capable of moving up...but I believe the potential is there. We'll see.

Raymond's position on the team will be based on his performance once he comes back from injury. Much like Hodgson's position will depend on his performance. Once again, we should see some real competition for ice time...and that's the kind of stuff that elite teams are built from.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 12:25 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I agree that Raymond is not a 4th liner. And neither is Hansen. Hansen is a great 3rd liner who has not yet shown that he is capable of moving up...but I believe the potential is there. We'll see.

Raymond's position on the team will be based on his performance once he comes back from injury. Much like Hodgson's position will depend on his performance. Once again, we should see some real competition for ice time...and that's the kind of stuff that elite teams are built from.
I really hope we get stable line combinations by the All-Star break. One of our undoings in the finals was us rolling with pretty much two forwards lines due to injury and AV not using the 4th line at all (meanwhile Palie/Campbell/Thornton caused us trouble all the time).

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:

Its tough to say with rookies. Tyler Seguin managed 22 points in 74 games last season playing for a deep Bruins team receiving mostly 3rd line minutes. I know were all hoping for Hodgson to grab a top 6 spot next to Kes, run with it, and score 40-50 pts. What I see more as trealistic is he'll play 70 games or so with about half em played in the top 6. He'll end the season with 13 goals and 20 assists for 33 points.

If Hodgson can do that, he'll be of great value to this team. By playoffs he'll already have all of the rust shaken off, and maybe he can produce at a better PPG pace in the post season as injuries pile up and he's forced into a larger role (bound to happen in a long season).

So ya, I'd say under. 33 points in 70 games is my guess for Hodgson, while playing with a 50 point pace in any post season action at the end of the season.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Nope not happening, a goalie would have to be out long term for Lack to start.
Not even that. If Luongo is out for a long period of time due to injury - Gillis will sign a veteran backup goalie. Zero chance at team like the Canucks goes with two goalies like Schneider & Lack.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

In addition to what Luck 6 already mentioned, there is the issue about Hodgson not being NHL ready. He can be placed on the 2nd line. He can be given ample 2nd unit PP time. But, no one is quite sure when he'll "get it," if at all. Stamkos took around 50 games in his rookie year playing good minutes for it to finally click. And he didn't have to worry about ice time too much. And of course, his skill and talent is much greater. Seguin was also mentioned by Luck.

I'd definitely go under 35 points for Hodgson. He seems more akin to Josh Bailey, for the type of production one should expect. But again, completely different situations. Once Kesler is healed, Hodgson is still likely to be sent down for further development.

All that said, if breaks out, the Canucks will be all the better for it. Everyone is waiting for it. I'm a big fan of CH myself, and I'd like nothing more. Well, maybe a top notch winger for next season.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:29 AM
B-rock

Anyone thinking Hodgson is getting 50 pts or above this season is seriously dreaming. 1st year NHL rookies very very very rarely are able to put up those kind of points in their 1st full season.

Just because he doesn't put up 50 pts doesn't mean he's a failure either.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
In addition to what Luck 6 already mentioned, there is the issue about Hodgson not being NHL ready. He can be placed on the 2nd line. He can be given ample 2nd unit PP time. But, no one is quite sure when he'll "get it," if at all. Stamkos took around 50 games in his rookie year playing good minutes for it to finally click. And he didn't have to worry about ice time too much. And of course, his skill and talent is much greater. Seguin was also mentioned by Luck.

I'd definitely go under 35 points for Hodgson. He seems more akin to Josh Bailey, for the type of production one should expect. But again, completely different situations. Once Kesler is healed, Hodgson is still likely to be sent down for further development.

All that said, if breaks out, the Canucks will be all the better for it. Everyone is waiting for it. I'm a big fan of CH myself, and I'd like nothing more. Well, maybe a top notch winger for next season.

Wouldn't shock me to see Hodgson play the first 10 games or so as the 2nd line center, then play some time as a winger next to Kes when he's back. As soon as he cools down, send him to the AHL for 20 games or so and call him back up as soon as the timing is right. Hodgson hasn't spent much time in the AHL really at all, I know we all want to see him play but it could be good for him. Oreskovich last year spent the whole season in the AHL, then came up near the end and was one of our better grinders through the playoffs. Hodgson may need more time to develop, I am confident though that he will take a huge step in his development this coming season whether it be in the AHL or the NHL. A full offseason with good health and extreme training will do him wonders, count on it.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:

I think 30-40 points is where Hodgson will probably end up assuming he gets the ice time. But I think 45 points is a little conservative for Edler; he has to pick up the offensive slack with Ehrhoff gone; Edler and aging Salo are our only real offensive D left. I am thinking Edler gets at least 50 points this year and ends up top 10 in Norris votes.

Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:39 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
I think 30-40 points is where Hodgson will probably end up assuming he gets the ice time. But I think 45 points is a little conservative for Edler; he has to pick up the offensive slack with Ehrhoff gone; Edler and aging Salo are our only real offensive D left. I am thinking Edler gets at least 50 points this year and ends up top 10 in Norris votes.
You are forgetting Bieksa. I think he will benefit the most from Ehrhoff's departure.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I see no reason why Hodgson can't have a similar season as Logan Couture did last year...except with maybe 10 fewer goals. 22 goals 24 assists for 46 points would be a very good rookie year.