Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Available ECHL affiliates in 2013

Old
08-24-2011, 12:59 AM
Solution

vCash: 500
Available ECHL affiliates in 2013

I do not know if this is an acceptable thread to start, but I was wondering what ECHL affiliates will/might be available in 2013. The Pittsburgh Penguins have a five year affiliation agreement with the Wheeling Nailers that will be running out att he end of next season. I am not interested in seeing the Penguins renew with Wheeling for various reasons. So I was trying to get a jump start on seeing what possible affiliations might be available in 2013-2014. Also, what are the benefits to each situation? The main positive for the Nailers with the Penguins was proximity. Thank you.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post
I do not know if this is an acceptable thread to start, but I was wondering what ECHL affiliates will/might be available in 2013. The Pittsburgh Penguins have a five year affiliation agreement with the Wheeling Nailers that will be running out att he end of next season. I am not interested in seeing the Penguins renew with Wheeling for various reasons. So I was trying to get a jump start on seeing what possible affiliations might be available in 2013-2014. Also, what are the benefits to each situation? The main positive for the Nailers with the Penguins was proximity. Thank you.
Most affiliations in this league are year to year, so plenty will be "available"

Not sure if Wheeling can survive without Pittsburgh though as has been pointed out what the Brooks bros actuually get out of the affiliation.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Most affiliations in this league are year to year, so plenty will be "available"

Not sure if Wheeling can survive without Pittsburgh though as has been pointed out what the Brooks bros actuually get out of the affiliation.
I guess that available might not be the best wording. Maybe interested in another partner. Like Syracuse was not happy with Anaheim. Granted that might have been a special case, but it makes the point I am trying to get at.

That is one of my concerns about Wheeling and Pittsburgh being affiliated. How much of any of the Nailers' success and/or players come from Pittsburgh ties. For example, the Nailers supposedly have Denver Manderson signed for the upcoming season. He played overseas last year, but was a former teammate of Beau Bennett, the Pens #1 pick in 2010. I do not believe that Wheeling can sign him without the Pittsburgh connection. He is going to Wilkes-Barre's training camp.

Old
08-24-2011, 04:07 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I guess that available might not be the best wording. Maybe interested in another partner. Like Syracuse was not happy with Anaheim. Granted that might have been a special case, but it makes the point I am trying to get at.

That is one of my concerns about Wheeling and Pittsburgh being affiliated. How much of any of the Nailers' success and/or players come from Pittsburgh ties. For example, the Nailers supposedly have Denver Manderson signed for the upcoming season. He played overseas last year, but was a former teammate of Beau Bennett, the Pens #1 pick in 2010. I do not believe that Wheeling can sign him without the Pittsburgh connection. He is going to Wilkes-Barre's training camp.
LOL, special case is right. Howard Dolgon is a weird man. That was nothing more than blowing steam. He did this at the end of the Columbus era too. ECHL Affiliations work differently. Most AHL Affiliations are multiple year agreements. ECHL teams don't even need the NHL affiliation(or the other way around too)You can sffiliate with just an AHL team no matter who their parent club may be.

The Brooks Bros also get money or something from Pitt for the arena naming rights. Might hurt them to breakaway from Pitt.

Old
08-24-2011, 02:16 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
you also have to realize that the Brooks Brothers also own Adirondack(Philadelphia, hopefully Allentown) within that timeframe.....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
you also have to realize that the Brooks Brothers also own Adirondack(Philadelphia, hopefully Allentown) within that timeframe.....
What does that have to do with anything though? Are you suggesting they will close up shop in Wheeling? I could see it. The hot rumor was Adirondack/Wheeling to Trenton at one point.

Old
08-24-2011, 03:29 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
What does that have to do with anything though? Are you suggesting they will close up shop in Wheeling? I could see it. The hot rumor was Adirondack/Wheeling to Trenton at one point.
it might, you never know what will happen... no one knew that Trenton was going through ownership issues this close

Old
08-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
it might, you never know what will happen... no one knew that Trenton was going through ownership issues this close
Everybody knew...the NJ Devils didn't care about Trenton(nor did they care about their AHL team)The attendance was terrible for a few years. The only question was how much longer would lou and Co. pump money into Trenton before getting sick of it.

Old
08-24-2011, 04:49 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Everybody knew...the NJ Devils didn't care about Trenton(nor did they care about their AHL team)The attendance was terrible for a few years. The only question was how much longer would lou and Co. pump money into Trenton before getting sick of it.
USUALLY IF A TEAM IS IN TROUBLE, you don't see it until June, maybe July, not August.... you start seeing it by March....

Old
08-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Solution

Quote:
I know that the Brooks Brothers own the Phantoms. I am not certain what effect that has on the Penguins moving their ECHL affiliate. Unless as Green Men Rule suggested you are talking about the Brooks pulling out of Wheeling. Ever since I have tried following Wheeling, that has been a concern. The only other possible effect that I can see the Phantoms ownership haing would be an affiliation with Philadelphia who seem more interested in working with Trenton than Wheeling. Copuld you please clarify for me?

Old
08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I know that the Brooks Brothers own the Phantoms. I am not certain what effect that has on the Penguins moving their ECHL affiliate. Unless as Green Men Rule suggested you are talking about the Brooks pulling out of Wheeling. Ever since I have tried following Wheeling, that has been a concern. The only other possible effect that I can see the Phantoms ownership haing would be an affiliation with Philadelphia who seem more interested in working with Trenton than Wheeling. Copuld you please clarify for me?
The Brooks Bros have a legit reason to pull out of Wheeling. However that reason doesn't involve the Phantoms. it involves lack of crowds, losing money...etc. how long can a franchise operate averaging less than 3k in a higher end 5,000+ arena?

Old
08-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Solution

Well, the Brooks Brothers have a legit reason regarding the small crowds/low attendance. I hope that they do not for the sake of
Wheeling fans, but who knows.

Old
08-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Well, the Brooks Brothers have a legit reason regarding the small crowds/low attendance. I hope that they do not for the sake of
Wheeling fans, but who knows.
Wheeling has fans other then you? Lol. I would feel bad for the 100 or so fans(like in Johnstown)but if you don't support the club this happens, you kind of do it to yourself.

Old
08-26-2011, 02:46 AM
Solution

Quote:
Wheeling has fans other then you? Lol. I would feel bad for the 100 or so fans(like in Johnstown)but if you don't support the club this happens, you kind of do it to yourself.
I do not know if I would really qualify as a Wheeling fan. I try to follow the team, but with being so close to Pittsburgh, it is easier to follow the NHL. However, I do like to follow the ECHL. Back when I was living with my parents in the days before the converter boxes, I was able to get three NBC channels. One was Pittsburgh, of course. One was the Ohio valley area (Wheeling), and the other was Johnstown. I used to be able to get a game or so every other week. It was great fun to watch. I miss those simpler times to a degree.