HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Article about Cooke being a changed man

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Dan Barr

vCash: 500
Article about Cooke being a changed man

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1VvJQqHMe

Sounds like his wife's health issues may have contributed to his reckless behavior.

Cooke claims that he has learned to hit the "right" way.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:17 AM
hctopcheds11

Good article. Puts things into perspective.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:25 AM
gdsmack267

I had started a thread on the main boards with this link last night and its had mixed reviews from people outside the fan base.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:27 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
I had started a thread on the main boards with this link last night and its had mixed reviews from people outside the fan base.
Well, yeah. Think of how people downplay Ovechkin acting like a human being here.

That's sort of what we do 'round these parts. The only people who everybody likes are people who retired 50 years ago. Still a good article, though. It's nice to get more of a glimpse into a player and what's going on in his life, and even better when it's got a better ending than what it could have been.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:43 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Interesting read for sure.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I think it's more of a "I may be out of a job with one of the best organizations in hockey if I keep acting like a schmuck" kind of change-of-heart.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:49 AM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
I think it's more of a "I may be out of a job with one of the best organizations in hockey if I keep acting like a schmuck" kind of change-of-heart.
It could be CJM.

The one thing I will say, is it's funny how many apparently perfect people are on HF Boards. I know I've made my share of mistakes in my life and multiple times at that. Sometimes for one reason or another, one mistake makes us change for the better and we don't look back. I hope that this is that moment for Matt Cooke.

Old
08-24-2011, 10:01 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
I dunno. Lord knows medical problems have a way of putting things perspective, even if they're just your wife's (as opposed to your own).

Whatever the motivation, it's still good to hear. Hopefully, he'll actually follow through on it.

Old
08-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Please be true. I'm tired of having the most hated player in the league on my team.

Old
08-24-2011, 10:10 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Please be true. I'm tired of having the most hated player in the league on my team.
Ulf Sammuelsson retired years ago, dude.

Old
08-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

We're going to be a hated team, regardless. Whether it's because of Cooke, or Sid, or the fact that we built up from lottery picks, or because Bettman refused to let the team move, or because we're one of the best franchises in the NHL on and off the ice, etc.

People are just going to hate the Pens because they're the Pens. I couldn't care less if other fans hate this team, I just want Cooke to be less of a ******* on the ice. Hit to hurt, I don't care, but don't **** your team over by getting suspended.

Old
08-24-2011, 10:38 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Agreed Coach, the suspensions gotta go. If Cooke's gonna be worth his 1.8, he's gotta be on the ice, not in the press box.

Old
08-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Interesting story and glad she's OK. Not really sure I see the connection between his wife's struggles and his on ice problems, but whatever. Maybe just a stability at home issue but either way he has to do things right. Also it's good to learn more about a player so we can understand them a bit better. I guess my question is, how does a guy make it to an NHL starting lineup every year and not know "the right way to hit"? This strikes me as bizarre, that he needed to watch 20 hours of game film to understand the concept. Isn't this crap taught over and over in high school and lower level leagues?

That aside, Rossi has to be one of the worst sports writers I've ever read. His thoughts and phrasings are so fragmented, I can't follow it half the time. Beginning, Middle, End. Main Assertion, Evidence, Conclusion. Keep related thoughts together, use paragraphs to transition thoughts. It's not complicated.

Also he takes every chance to add his own opinions, emotional appeals or view of other people's emotions into things, to make it more dramatic but fails on every level there. The guy needs to go back to J school, maybe learn how to structure paragraphs and use special punctuation like dashes correctly while he's at it. Not trying to be a hater but it's impossible for me to like this guy. The more I see, the more he validates every negative thing I've ever said about him.

Old
08-24-2011, 11:05 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

I believe he'll turn it around. Maybe at the start of his career, he thought he had to play on the edge to keep his job or something. He's establish now. Something like that could work to his advantage. I admit, I feel I'm doing alot of second guessing about him.

Old
08-24-2011, 11:12 AM
JTG

I hope Cooke is changing because if he does, and starts playing within the confines of the rules, he's an incredibly effective hockey player who is very hard to play against.

Old
08-24-2011, 11:14 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Better to have him on OUR team instead of having to worry about playing against him. Cooke currently being billed the "most hated" player in the league has just as much to do with the fact that he's wearing a Pens jersey as it does the fact that he throws the occassional dirty hit. I honestly do not recall people whining about the guy this much while he was with the Nucks.

Secondly, I find this whole "Matt Cooke needs therapy" thing to be a complete load of crap. I don't think the guy is any more aggressive or mentally unstable than any other guy in this league. He has built a career for himself by playing on the edge, plain and simple! Up till the early-mid 90's guys like Cooke were a dime-a-dozen in the NHL. One of the main reasons as to why he's managed to solidify a full-time NHL job for over a decade (aside from the fact that he's actually a good hockey player) is the fact that when he's on the ice, the opposition is well aware, and they're flat out SCARED.

Personally, I think Cooke is sorry for the fact that he actually hurt some people(Savard for example) . I don't think he deliberately goes out there looking to injure anyone. At the same time though, do I think he's at all remorseful for the style of hockey he's been playing throughout his entire career? Not one bit. And just why should he be? There was obviously something useful and appealing enough about it for The Canucks, Caps, and Pens to want to pay for his services!

Last edited by AquaticBirdman: 08-24-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old
08-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I'll believe it when the final game comes upon us and he's still on the team.

Good read foreshore, I actually read it on the main boards already, yesterday. You people are slipping, or...I'm just lazy.

Good luck on your adventure and hope all is good with the family, MC.

Even villains family's need prayers.

Old
08-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
All the best wishes to his family but there's a 100% chance he continues to throw dirty hits. Players like that don't just magically change.

Old
08-24-2011, 12:51 PM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
That aside, Rossi has to be one of the worst sports writers I've ever read. His thoughts and phrasings are so fragmented, I can't follow it half the time. Beginning, Middle, End. Main Assertion, Evidence, Conclusion. Keep related thoughts together, use paragraphs to transition thoughts. It's not complicated.
Im glad Im not the only one who thought that read terribly.

Old
08-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

The NHL board thread is hilarious. Good ol' Mattmmar Cookedafi.

Old
08-24-2011, 01:40 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'm glad that he's a good guy, but I do want him playing on the edge and not changing completely. What makes him great is his ability to use every inch of that line without crossing it.

We can all agree that we dislike Cooke when he crosses the line, but I absolutely love him when he's testing the limits of how far he can go. I don't know if that is manageable, but it makes him effective.

Old
08-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm glad that he's a good guy, but I do want him playing on the edge and not changing completely. What makes him great is his ability to use every inch of that line without crossing it.

We can all agree that we dislike Cooke when he crosses the line, but I absolutely love him when he's testing the limits of how far he can go. I don't know if that is manageable, but it makes him effective.
But just letting someone know you're there without even getting close to that line is effective too.

Old
08-24-2011, 02:11 PM
mpp9

I like the fact that Cooke hits people every chance he gets. He has the physique and endurance for it over a 100+ game season. That's his greatest quality. He just needs to learn how to make that split second decision when someone is obviously in a vulnerable position.

Old
08-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
This. I'm not sure the connection was ever fully explained regarding his wife's medical issue and, generally, the piece was all over the place. His editor should be fired.

On-topic:
All the best to Cooke. He's a fun player to watch when he's not being stupid - although, as you might guess, I must boo him when he's playing Columbus. And best to his family as well.

Old
08-24-2011, 02:53 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

20 goals this season. Book it.

Closed Thread