HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

iPhone 4s and iOS 5 Discussion (iOS 5 Oct 12/4s Oct 14)

Old
08-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The only caveat is that Apple is also going to come out with a cheaper 8GB version of the iPhone 4. The iPhone 5, though, will probably come in around the same price as iPhone 4: Probably two versions, one at $300 and one at $200. The difference will probably be storage. That's still speculative, though.
I'm going to make a prediction here. If the iPhone 5 has LTE as is being speculated a little bit, my guess is that it will come in at $300 and $400 for the 16gb and 32gb versions. Verizon has introduced their LTE phones and Sprint their WiMax phones at the $250-300 price point and I would imagine that AT&T will likely want to launch their LTE phones at a similar price point.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I don't see why Apple would risk killing the goose that lays the golden eggs, to be honest. You're selling millions of these phones. Why mess that up by making it significantly more expensive? They sell millions at the $200/$300 price point. They sold the iPad for significantly less than people expected, and have sold millions of that device. I think they stick with the same price, personally.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Jobs left Apple and I hear they are going in a different direction with the new iPhone.

Get rid of the flibbidy flab.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:03 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

JailbreakMe Creator Comex To Work For Apple,

By Usman on August 25th, 2011 0
Nicholas Allegra a.k.a @Comex, the creator of user-land iOS jailbreaks such as Spirit and web based JailbreakMe, has been hired by Apple as an intern. Comex made the announcement on Twitter just recently and says he would be starting his new job the week after next. Well, it does sound kinda weird as he would be switching sides completely with the jailbreak community. Instead of finding untethered / jailbreak exploits for the future iOS firmwares, he will actually be helping Apple to prevent their discovery by other jailbreakers. It will be interesting to see what Dev-Team has to say about this, though they are yet to make a statement regarding this move by Comex.

@Comex tweeted the following:

It’s been really, really fun, but it’s also been a while and I’ve been getting bored. 3 hours ago
So, the week after next I will be starting an internship with Apple.

Nonetheless, this is a great achievement for a 19-year old student from Brown University Chappaqua, NewYork. His true identity was revealed in an interview by Forbes Magazine in which he describes jailbreaking as “like editing an English paper… You just go through and look for errors. I don’t know why I seem to be so effective at it.”

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:27 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
No specs information, no. It will be on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, and comes out in mid-October.

Regardless of whether or not any information on the next phone has emerged, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a good reason to buy it now rather than in October. It will be faster, it will have more features, it will be the same price for a better phone, and it's a month and a half away. What's to decide, really?

The only caveat is that Apple is also going to come out with a cheaper 8GB version of the iPhone 4. The iPhone 5, though, will probably come in around the same price as iPhone 4: Probably two versions, one at $300 and one at $200. The difference will probably be storage. That's still speculative, though.

There is only one reason and one alone to buy it now: You have no phone and need a phone, any phone, between now and mid-October when the iPhone comes out.
Not necessarily. I'm not as strict on my quality of tech stuff anymore. If it's faster I'd love it, but if they drop the price of the iPhone 4 dramatically (I know when it came out people were getting iPhone 3GS for like $50), it may be worth it if the new features on the iPhone 5 are just bells and whistles, especially if they're bells and whistles I'll never use. But I still will probably wait until October just to be sure.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 08-26-2011 at 09:33 AM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Well with reference to the text you opted to highlight, then yes, it will necessarily be faster. It will necessarily have more features.

Now, whether you want them or not is up to you. You can buy an iPhone 4, or the new gimped iPhone 4 coming out in October. You can also buy a 3GS for $99 right now if you prefer.

Speed is hardly ever just bells and whistles, but your mileage may vary, I suppose. Speed is everything in a computer. Now if they don't touch the processor, then that would perhaps constitute minor changes.

In any event, no. Specifications are not known at this time.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Sprint can't handle the iPhone I don't think. I was having texting issues all yesterday, then my friend linked me this:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/au...eturn-ku-stud/
I think they can handle it. Android users on average are more data hungry users. The EVO 4G is Sprint's best selling phone of all time. Do the math.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I keep forgetting that Sprint actually exists.

No shocker on the announcement, it'll be interesting to see how big of a jump this one is, but I'm expecting little more than a baby step with this one. I'm not up for a new phone until March '13 anyway so I'll be skipping this generation regardless.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:01 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I'm going to make a prediction here. If the iPhone 5 has LTE as is being speculated a little bit, my guess is that it will come in at $300 and $400 for the 16gb and 32gb versions. Verizon has introduced their LTE phones and Sprint their WiMax phones at the $250-300 price point and I would imagine that AT&T will likely want to launch their LTE phones at a similar price point.
Through Apple's recent history (Intel chips forward) they have always "held price points". This is a buzz term that is used everyday at Apple.

The MacBook is: $999
The iPad is: $499

Sometimes they have been unable to "hold the price point" and as a result, the price has dropped. iPod being the easiest to spot. The 5 gig gen 1 was $499. Even with more and more features (removal of mechanical wheel, larger storage, color screen, capable of video) they have been unable to hold the $499 point.

This is true in all technology areas though. Tech gets cheap and cheap as companies refine the manufacturing process.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:38 PM
awesomo
HARD!

has anybody turned a regular SIM into a micro-sim?

im thinking of using a company (Wind) in Canada b/c they have a wicked unlimited everything plan. But they do not sell micro-sim cards

edit: apparently they might.... there are pictures of it

Last edited by awesomo: 08-31-2011 at 08:43 PM.
awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:27 PM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
has anybody turned a regular SIM into a micro-sim?

im thinking of using a company (Wind) in Canada b/c they have a wicked unlimited everything plan. But they do not sell micro-sim cards

edit: apparently they might.... there are pictures of it
Networks are not compatible AFAIK. A Wind sim card won't work in an IPhone. They would work on any phone on TMobile, but IPhone is not on TMobile.

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:22 AM
invictus

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._5_launch.html

Sprint is cranking up their early termination fee amount as of the 9th.

I wonder if "advanced" device just means anything that says 4G.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:50 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Report: Apple to hold media event on October 4th, Tim Cook to unveil iPhone 5
By Amar Toor posted Sep 21st 2011 6:31AM

We have yet to receive official word on this, but All Things Digital is reporting today that Apple's next big media event will be held on October 4th, where freshly minted CEO Tim Cook is expected to unveil the iPhone 5. Sources close to the situation say Cook will be the main presenter at the event, with execs Phil Schiller, Scott Forstall and Eddy Cue playing supporting roles. This would mark the first time that Cook has actually led an Apple event, adding an extra wrinkle of significance to an already highly anticipated occasion. The site's sources went on to say that the next-gen iPhone will be available for purchase "within a few weeks" of the announcement, though All Things Digital acknowledges that the exact date of its unveiling is still subject to change. As always, we'll be sure to keep you posted as soon as we hear more.

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:53 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
How exactly do you know the EVO 3D will be better than an unreleased phone?

And I can't say the move to Sprint is a surprise - Apple needs to make inroads with other carriers and Sprint is facing tough competition now that TMo is merging with ATT.
Because it will use android and not iOS.

Also the iPhone 5 is an incremental upgrade over the iPhone 4. How do I know this you ask? It's a product made by Apple.

Also the EVO uses 3D. Does the iPhone 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
I have never understood this line of thinking... you have no idea what the next iPhone will be like.
You're right. I have no idea what the next iPhone will be like. But is it safer to assume the company notorious for incremental upgrading will all of the sudden break the rule and anomalously pump out a new phone that is all of the sudden a major improvement? No, the far more safer assumption is that it will be an incremental upgrade over the iPhone 4. For Apple fans this isn't an issue really, for any tech savvy people who just use the iPhone because it's a great phone I doubt they spend the money upgrade. The iPhone 4 is already a great phone. I don't see how they could make it that much better in the first place. It will be a cash grab like any other Apple product.

Last edited by neofury*: 09-21-2011 at 11:58 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Because it will use android and not iOS.

Also the iPhone 5 is an incremental upgrade over the iPhone 4. How do I know this you ask? It's a product made by Apple.

Also the EVO uses 3D. Does the iPhone 5?

You're right. I have no idea what the next iPhone will be like. But is it safer to assume the company notorious for incremental upgrading will all of the sudden break the rule and anomalously pump out a new phone that is all of the sudden a major improvement? No, the far more safer assumption is that it will be an incremental upgrade over the iPhone 4. For Apple fans this isn't an issue really, for any tech savvy people who just use the iPhone because it's a great phone I doubt they spend the money upgrade. The iPhone 4 is already a great phone. I don't see how they could make it that much better in the first place. It will be a cash grab like any other Apple product.
I can understand how you would feel about iPhone 4 to 5 will probably be a minor upgrade. But every other upgrade thus far has been pretty significant. History goes against your theory.

Wouldn't logic say though, that at some point, upgrades simply can't continue to be significant? We are starting to reach that limit with the current technology.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/03/sprint...5-exclusively/

BGR claiming iPhone 5 will be a Sprint 4G WiMAX exclusive.

I call BS on this, because Sprint has already said they will be moving away from WiMAX and move towards LTE as their 4G tech. So why would Apple make $20 billion dollars worth of WiMAX iPhones when Sprint will slowly phase out WiMAX network once LTE is up and running.

Anyways, this is getting all loopy. Can't wait till it's over tbh.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I'm not sure why Sprint would want iPhone exclusivity at this point, considering they already have the best lineup of Android devices, unless it's just to stick a middle finger at Verizon and ATT over the ATT/T-Mobile deal.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Sold my iPhone, case and dock today for $400, so I've got the cash lined up to sign a contract with Robbers () once the 4S/5 are out.

The real story's going to be Assistant, apparently. I'm still holding out hope there's a redesigned iPhone 5.

As for that Sprint story, as long as the rest of the world isn't negatively affected, I don't care. Would love to have a 4G HSPA+ iPhone.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Sold my iPhone, case and dock today for $400, so I've got the cash lined up to sign a contract with Robbers () once the 4S/5 are out.
Nice!

Quote:
The real story's going to be Assistant, apparently. I'm still holding out hope there's a redesigned iPhone 5.

As for that Sprint story, as long as the rest of the world isn't negatively affected, I don't care. Would love to have a 4G HSPA+ iPhone.
This makes my blood boil.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Nice!
Hey, it's true!

Quote:
This makes my blood boil.
Should've probably clarified - one or the other would be great. Especially if it's real 4G, none of the marketing crap. But I'm not holding my breath. Pisses me off too.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Hey, it's true!

Should've probably clarified - one or the other would be great. Especially if it's real 4G, none of the marketing crap. But I'm not holding my breath. Pisses me off too.
That's what I meant. At this point, 4G has become so meaningless that now everything on LTE is advertised as "4G LTE", which is theoretically redundant but in reality everyone in the know realizes that it means "real 4G".

I just can't see Apple releasing the iPhone 5 as a non-LTE device unless it's just a road-bump upgrade (i.e. really the "iPhone 4GS" as some analysts were calling it) before something bigger.

Old
10-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Heisenberg77

Not a chance Sprint would get iPhone exclusivity. Lets get real here.

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:25 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

This thread is getting way out there. Exclusive deals with sprint, $500 iPhones. What are you guys smoking?

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:45 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Pretty sure it's just going to be a 4S.

10-04-2011, 12:13 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Live blog: