HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp Thread - Preseason Over Preds go 7-1 - Roster cutdown to 25

Old
09-20-2011, 07:58 PM
token grinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
He's had 3 injuries (2 concussions and a broken finger) in four seasons?
didn't he break his wrist last year too? and they are all at opportune moments, like the world junior, or leading into the olympics, or (now 2 years running) he is supposed to have a breakout camp.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 08:24 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Man Josi has been my favorite Prospect for 3 years. This really blows. I pray Ekholm and Ellis make the team

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
didn't he break his wrist last year too? and they are all at opportune moments, like the world junior, or leading into the olympics, or (now 2 years running) he is supposed to have a breakout camp.
Don't know why, but I combined the wrist and finger into one in my mind...I need a cup of coffee!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Are the weights/heights on the official roster updated for this year? http://predators.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Prospect roster too? http://predators.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:39 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
How is Nashvilles true top prospect Mattias Ekholm doing?
Very good by all accounts. I think he may have a shot at the 5th/6th d spot, especially with Josi hurt. The only drawback is lack of time on the smaller ice, which would argue for starting with the Admirals.

He could be top 4 in Preds prospects- very underrated.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
a concussion is a concussion. doesn't matter how serious. his brain rattled.
No no no. I've been on the receiving end of 3 of these suckers, and it makes a HUGE difference. There are different levels of this. He could be ready to roll in 2/3 weeks or could bull a Lombardi/Boullion. Severity is incredibly important.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:38 AM
hasbeenforgotten

how is blum doing?

hasbeenforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:58 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
No no no. I've been on the receiving end of 3 of these suckers, and it makes a HUGE difference. There are different levels of this. He could be ready to roll in 2/3 weeks or could bull a Lombardi/Boullion. Severity is incredibly important.
but for a kid in camp two to three weeks off means NO shot at the NHL roster opening night.

and if whoever gets the spot in his place plays well and stays healthy, it means Josi is in milwaukee for a long stretch.

as others have said this kid is either dangerously fragile or horridly unlucky

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:43 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Ok, who's next to get cut? Trotz has said he's basically has an idea of what the roster is going to be and I'm curious when he will cut the roster down to the 30's.

Things I have heard on the radio this week in camp:

Craig Smith likes to shoot.....A lot

Ryan Ellis is a human cannonball and like to hit.....a lot

Jeremy Smith and Lindback seems to be the battle of the camp.

We know what the first 3 lines are going to be, the 4th/3rd scoring line is a mystery.

Milwaukee is going to have a very good team.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Ok, who's next to get cut? Trotz has said he's basically has an idea of what the roster is going to be and I'm curious when he will cut the roster down to the 30's.

Things I have heard on the radio this week in camp:

Craig Smith likes to shoot.....A lot

Ryan Ellis is a human cannonball and like to hit.....a lot

Jeremy Smith and Lindback seems to be the battle of the camp.

We know what the first 3 lines are going to be, the 4th/3rd scoring line is a mystery.

Milwaukee is going to have a very good team.
There is ZERO goaltending controversy. Smith will be in Milwaukee and Lindback in Nashville. Trotz said so in the pregame last night when talking about how far Smith has come in the past couple years.

Here's my list of guys that will stay the longest...

Forwards: (17)
Erat, Smith, O'Reilly, Mueller, C. Wilson, Legwand, Bergfors, Geoffrion, Tootoo, Halischuk, K. Wilson, Kostitsyn, Spaling, Stortini, Smithson, Hornqvist, Bourque.

Defensemen: (9)
Laakso, Suter, Blum, Hillen, Ekholm, Sloan, Weber, Klein, Ellis

Goalies: (3)
Rinne, Lindback, Smith

Add in the injured players and you've got your 30+

Old
09-21-2011, 01:09 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
There is ZERO goaltending controversy. Smith will be in Milwaukee and Lindback in Nashville. Trotz said so in the pregame last night when talking about how far Smith has come in the past couple years.

Here's my list of guys that will stay the longest...

Forwards: (17)
Erat, Smith, O'Reilly, Mueller, C. Wilson, Legwand, Bergfors, Geoffrion, Tootoo, Halischuk, K. Wilson, Kostitsyn, Spaling, Stortini, Smithson, Hornqvist, Bourque.

Defensemen: (9)
Laakso, Suter, Blum, Hillen, Ekholm, Sloan, Weber, Klein, Ellis

Goalies: (3)
Rinne, Lindback, Smith

Add in the injured players and you've got your 30+

I agree on the goalie situation but I think it's going to be closer than people think. I'm just that is what I am hearing on the broadcasts. (Wish i could see with my own eyes...) From that list it's going to hard cuts. I can see Sloan, Bourque, and Smith but after that, oy. A lot of talent is going to Milwaukee.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I agree on the goalie situation but I think it's going to be closer than people think. I'm just that is what I am hearing on the broadcasts. (Wish i could see with my own eyes...) From that list it's going to hard cuts. I can see Sloan, Bourque, and Smith but after that, oy. A lot of talent is going to Milwaukee.
I think the D is pretty well set, with Suter - Weber, Blum - Klein, Ellis - Hillen, and Laakso as the No. 7.

In goal we've got Rinne and Lindback.

Some of the forward choices are easy, but a lot of the final decisions will come down to injuries and where there are openings because of them...

Halischuk has looked very good in camp. I think he's a lock. Depending on how long Geoffrion is out, he could be sent back to Milwaukee to start. Kyle Wilson has looked very good as well and Chris Mueller isn't making it easy to send him down either. I think though if Fisher is out, that Wilson gets the spot over Mueller...

Craig Smith is an interesting case, but if our top 6 is healthy, I think he starts in Milwaukee. Gabriel Bourque is NHL ready, but will go to the Ads, Bergfors has made the team and is likely battling for a spot in the top 6 instead of the fourth line, but Colin Wilson is making that a difficult choice too.

Lots of competition for spots right now and like you...I think it's good for us and great for the Ads this season...

Old
09-21-2011, 02:30 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Cooper says Geoffrion is out two weeks with the sliced wrist (Yikes!!) and Josi is still injured and won't play through the weekend.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:48 PM
token grinder

I know there are many pros to keeping Lindback up here, but would it not make more sense to shuffle him and smith this year to make sure he gets plenty of work. We forget he is still a kid and needs to keep developing. Last year we were very lucky with him. No real book on him and alot of things broke right for him. He got decent work with peks injuries and that helped him quite a bit.

Old
09-21-2011, 02:49 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I think you missed my point. there are different grades of concussions, but there is no such thing of a slight concission. kinda like saying a girl is kinda pregnant

Old
09-21-2011, 03:24 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the biggest stories will be will Ellis and Craig Smith make the opening night. I think both do. And who wins the battle between Laakso and Ekholm

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think the biggest stories will be will Ellis and Craig Smith make the opening night. I think both do. And who wins the battle between Laakso and Ekholm
I'm going to agree on Ellis making the opening night roster, but not yet convinced Smith doesn't start in Milwaukee due to the lack of a clear top-6 spot for him.

As for Laakso and Ekholm, I think there's no question Ekholm starts in Milwaukee and Laakso in Nashville. Keeping Ekholm to sit as the No. 7 defenseman would be a very poor choice for his development.

Suter - Weber
Blum - Klein
Ellis - Hillen
Laakso

Those are my pairings for opening night. Gonna have to protect the third pair though as there is ZERO size there. Hillen is a vet though and can skate like the wind, so I think he's a good fit.

Old
09-21-2011, 03:59 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
I'm going to agree on Ellis making the opening night roster, but not yet convinced Smith doesn't start in Milwaukee due to the lack of a clear top-6 spot for him.

As for Laakso and Ekholm, I think there's no question Ekholm starts in Milwaukee and Laakso in Nashville. Keeping Ekholm to sit as the No. 7 defenseman would be a very poor choice for his development.

Suter - Weber
Blum - Klein
Ellis - Hillen
Laakso

Those are my pairings for opening night. Gonna have to protect the third pair though as there is ZERO size there. Hillen is a vet though and can skate like the wind, so I think he's a good fit.
Is Laakso this years Sulzer? He sticks with the Preds till Ekholm adjusts to the smaller rink.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Is Laakso this years Sulzer? He sticks with the Preds till Ekholm adjusts to the smaller rink.
Laakso has actually done a great job filling out his frame and developing a cannon of a slap shot the past couple years. Normally plays a simple, physical brand of defense, but has also shown the ability to score at the other end of the ice in Milwaukee.

I think many people are writing off Laakso from his prior experience here, but that was just coming off of shoulder surgeries in back to back years. I think he'll surprise people when they get another look...

Old
09-21-2011, 04:39 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Cooper says Geoffrion is out two weeks with the sliced wrist (Yikes!!) and Josi is still injured and won't play through the weekend.
i know a guy who had his wrist stepped on in a hockey game. Lets just say he cant really use his hand or play hockey (bad nerve damage)...... Geoffrion got super lucky, could've been WAY worse

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:46 PM
braindead

I don't think Ellis is a lock- tend to think Laakso and Hillen are the 3rd pair with Ellis getting big, early minutes in Mil. and then go from there.

To me it is looking more and more like the Preds will roll 3 "scoring" lines like Poile wanted to do last year.

Legwand, Fisher and CalO center those three.

Erat, Bergfors, Wilson, Horny and SK have 5 of the 6 wings.

Smithson centers the 4th line.

That leaves Tootoo, Spaling on the 3rd or 4th and one spot for either Halischuk (3rd or 4th line) or Smith (3rd line). I think Halischuk gets it so Smith can play big early minutes in Mil. Having said that, every single line we have could benefit from having Smith on it to SHOOT THE PUCK.

A 3rd line of Bergfors, CalO and Spaling could do some damage. I could see Horny pretty quickly on the 3rd line though as well.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Laakso has actually done a great job filling out his frame and developing a cannon of a slap shot the past couple years. Normally plays a simple, physical brand of defense, but has also shown the ability to score at the other end of the ice in Milwaukee.

I think many people are writing off Laakso from his prior experience here, but that was just coming off of shoulder surgeries in back to back years. I think he'll surprise people when they get another look...
Laakso is a fine #6 defenseman on most teams, maybe even a #5 on some, but the point is we arent most teams. I like Laakso and am still saying he's our #7 not because he's bad, but because we're good.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:50 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I would prefer Laakso and Hillen to be our 3rd pair, atleast to Start. Let Ellis get some #1 time in Milwaukee against other pro's. Also, as much as I hate that Geoffrion is hurt, I think this for sure gaurentees Halischuck making the team, which I would've wanted either way over Bam bam. I would also like to see Jeremy Smith get some action this Saturday at home, curious as to how is he progressing.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:46 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Funny moment from Wednesday....they were doing some drill and one of the coaches would shoot the puck into the group from the blue line and Trotz shot this one puck and it was tipped and went right in. He raised his arms and that whole group was yelling and laughing.

Lindback looked solid, really nice glove save on someone.

The group of Legwand, Erat, Kostitsyn, Suter, Weber were practically joined at the hip all through their practice. At least 3 of those were together all the time. Legwand with a couple of really nice goals. Kostitsyn looks really comfortable with everyone this year, hopefully that helps him have a repeat of his 20+ goals.

Hornqvist is Hornqvist....always going, smiling. Working hard in front of the net.

Spaling and Fisher practiced alone, but then Spaling practiced with the whole team. There was no contact or anything but he was out there the whole time.

Pickard stopped all the shots at him, then he let one in and they started coming one after another. It really seems mental with him.

It's still really cool to see Kirk Muller down here coaching.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:48 AM
Panopticon

Why is Bouillon not in any of these D predictions? Is he injured or something? Or just having a really really poor camp?

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote