HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp Thread - Preseason Over Preds go 7-1 - Roster cutdown to 25

Old
09-22-2011, 06:27 AM
MrJoshua

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon View Post
Why is Bouillon not in any of these D predictions? Is he injured or something? Or just having a really really poor camp?
He's still out with concussion symptoms. No timetable on his return.

I know a lot of people have been very doom-and-gloom about this off-season. No big-name free agent signing or trade, the Weber arbitration, Belak, the Russian plane crash... there were certainly plenty of things to be down about.

But I think what got lost in all of that was the fact that this is still a young and very talented team. There are a lot of good reasons to be excited about this Predators club right now. A healthy O'Reilly is going to help the offense (if he can STAY healthy). Bergfors is going to help. They haven't taken any quantum leaps forward but the overall offensive depth is certainly improved by replacing older skaters on the downside of their careers (Dumont, Sullivan) with younger players that have shown they have the skill to play (Bergfors, Halischuk).

If the youth takes even a small step forward from last year and the defense and keepers play up to their standards, this could be a really special team. Maybe even a team with the capability of challenging for the division.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:32 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon View Post
Why is Bouillon not in any of these D predictions? Is he injured or something? Or just having a really really poor camp?
still recovering from concussion.... just on bike.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:42 PM
jaeger

Let Laakso and Hillen be the 3rd pairing. See which one plays better and when it's time to bring Ellis up sit one of them. It's better for Ellis to be the number one at the AHL first.

jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:37 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeger View Post
Let Laakso and Hillen be the 3rd pairing. See which one plays better and when it's time to bring Ellis up sit one of them. It's better for Ellis to be the number one at the AHL first.
What about Ekholm?

Weber - Blum
Suter - Ekholm
Klein - Laakso
Hillen

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:04 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
What about Ekholm?

Weber - Blum
Suter - Ekholm
Klein - Laakso
Hillen
I dont think Trotz will split Suter and Weber

better to let them dominate the 25+ minutes or so they are out there together than pairing each one with a weaker player

Blum/Klein is also more solid that either of the bottom two pairs you have listed so I'll take 25 minutes of domination plus 20 minutes of solid over 45 minutes of "pretty good"

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:48 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I dont think Trotz will split Suter and Weber

better to let them dominate the 25+ minutes or so they are out there together than pairing each one with a weaker player

Blum/Klein is also more solid that either of the bottom two pairs you have listed so I'll take 25 minutes of domination plus 20 minutes of solid over 45 minutes of "pretty good"
I tend to agree that Trotz will steer away from splitting Weber and Suter, but I don't think there's enough data out there to assume that the split will result in two "pretty good" pairings. Heck we've hardly even seen Blum, Laakso, and Ekholm on the ice at the NHL level, though I guess we have seen a good sampling of Blum.

I just think it could be good to get some of our youngsters some exposure playing with our elite guys, especially considering it may be our last year with one of them. Getting Ekholm/Blum experience on the top-2 lines could make for an easier transition should one of Suter/Weber be gone next year, setting up a possible top-4 of Weber, Blum, Ekholm, Ellis. Maybe I'm rushing things though.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:55 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
I tend to agree that Trotz will steer away from splitting Weber and Suter, but I don't think there's enough data out there to assume that the split will result in two "pretty good" pairings. Heck we've hardly even seen Blum, Laakso, and Ekholm on the ice at the NHL level, though I guess we have seen a good sampling of Blum.

I just think it could be good to get some of our youngsters some exposure playing with our elite guys, especially considering it may be our last year with one of them. Getting Ekholm/Blum experience on the top-2 lines could make for an easier transition should one of Suter/Weber be gone next year, setting up a possible top-4 of Weber, Blum, Ekholm, Ellis. Maybe I'm rushing things though.
what htere is enough data for is to know that Weber is not nearly himself without Suter.

last year during Suters injury Weber was much less effective.

as has been said by others, Batman needs Robin...

Old
09-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
what htere is enough data for is to know that Weber is not nearly himself without Suter.

last year during Suters injury Weber was much less effective.

as has been said by others, Batman needs Robin...
Although I agree, he was paired up with the Cube for most of the time.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:10 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Although I agree, he was paired up with the Cube for most of the time.
That was sort of my point. The only time we saw them split was out of necessity and it was cube with Webs. I certainly concede that Weber/Suter is the best pair we have, but maybe the drop off may not be that far if some chemistry can develop with our studs and youngsters. Maybe something to experiment with in camp/preseason.

Anyone see any pairings from practice or have a practice report from today?

Old
09-22-2011, 03:28 PM
PredsV82
No

the point is Weber can be Weber because he knows Suter has him covered.

would Blum allow him to be as comfortable? I dont know but my gut instinct is I doubt it.

and Suter would be less able to play his game is he's babysitting a rookie.

Now, if Blum is almost as good as Suter, and the rookies are as good as Blum was when he hit the ice last year, it might work, but at least early on in the season I'd keep Suter/Weber and Klein/Blum and let them eat the majority of the minutes and let the 3rd pair be sheltered while they get their feet under them

Old
09-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I've thought about splitting them up before, because it would good to know how well they play apart, but I don't think it would be smart now. It would send the wrong message (as in we're gonna see how well you play apart from each other because one of you is probably gone next summer)

If the rumors are true that Weber is waiting to see what Suter does then you can't split them. Keep them paired together and hope they sign together.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 04:17 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I've thought about splitting them up before, because it would good to know how well they play apart, but I don't think it would be smart now. It would send the wrong message (as in we're gonna see how well you play apart from each other because one of you is probably gone next summer)

If the rumors are true that Weber is waiting to see what Suter does then you can't split them. Keep them paired together and hope they sign together.
I think it's a little late to worry about optics. Everyone is adults here, we know the FA status of each of the big 3. Now is the time to both put ourselves in the best position to win now, and prepare for the inevitable. If splitting Weber and Suter doesn't result in a significant deadweight loss, the presason is the time to try and work it out.

If Weber and Suter are that dedicated to playing together, then they should march into Poile's office and each sign 5-year extensions.

Old
09-22-2011, 05:34 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is a pairing of Weber and Blum puts two right handed shots together, and a pairing of Suter and Ekholm puts two lefties together. If you're going to break the big two up then it needs to be Suter/Blum as the top pair and Weber/Ekholm as the second pair (only because Blum has more experience than Ekholm). Both of those pairings would probably be at least good, but they are each redundant. Suter is better than Blum, but they play similar games. Weber is better than Ekholm, but they play similar games (Ekholm has less offense obviously).

Also, dropping Kleiner to the third pairing is a complete waste of a fantastic shutdown defenseman. I don't see Klein-Laakso shutting down top players like Klein-Blum showed they can.

Last edited by TMI: 09-22-2011 at 06:32 PM.
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:38 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

If Josi were healthy the splitting of Suter and Weber would be much easier if you use Ekholm.

Weber/Josi
Suter/Klein
Blum/Ekholm

That's pretty solid all the way around in my book. Each pair has a left right combo. They have a good PMD in addition to having good overall defense as a pairing.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:55 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
the point is Weber can be Weber because he knows Suter has him covered.

would Blum allow him to be as comfortable? I dont know but my gut instinct is I doubt it.

and Suter would be less able to play his game is he's babysitting a rookie.

Now, if Blum is almost as good as Suter, and the rookies are as good as Blum was when he hit the ice last year, it might work, but at least early on in the season I'd keep Suter/Weber and Klein/Blum and let them eat the majority of the minutes and let the 3rd pair be sheltered while they get their feet under them
Saw a Trotz interview this week and he plainly stated that his top 2 pairs are set. They are Weber-Suter & Klein-Blum. He sounded like he had no intention of splitting up Weber and Suter.

The other D-men are fighting for the third pair and the reserve 7th man.

He also implied that someone with a one-way contract may grab a spot over another with a 2-way contract if the 2 players are fairly even.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
If Josi were healthy the splitting of Suter and Weber would be much easier if you use Ekholm.

Weber/Josi
Suter/Klein
Blum/Ekholm

That's pretty solid all the way around in my book. Each pair has a left right combo. They have a good PMD in addition to having good overall defense as a pairing.
For some reason Weber/Josi, despite all the hype, fills me with trepidation as a pairing.

Suter/Klein, OTOH... goals against? What goals against?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Saw a Trotz interview this week and he plainly stated that his top 2 pairs are set. They are Weber-Suter & Klein-Blum. He sounded like he had no intention of splitting up Weber and Suter.

The other D-men are fighting for the third pair and the reserve 7th man.

He also implied that someone with a one-way contract may grab a spot over another with a 2-way contract if the 2 players are fairly even.

This really is too bad. You have rookies, on entry level contracts that SHOULD have the spot, but because of the 2 way part of all ELC's they will be sent down. Why pay a guy his NHL salary to play in Milwaukee? It happens, but not very often!

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:12 PM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
[/B]

This really is too bad. You have rookies, on entry level contracts that SHOULD have the spot, but because of the 2 way part of all ELC's they will be sent down. Why pay a guy his NHL salary to play in Milwaukee? It happens, but not very often!
the stipulation was they were both about even. all other things being equal, you conserve your assets and keep the one way, waiver exposed player up.

if you send the older guy down, you risk losing him to re-entry waivers if you need him later. not good asset management

Old
09-22-2011, 09:37 PM
cleangene

Kirk Muller looked like he could still suit up and be a HOSS when I saw the Sunday practice. I don't think I'd be loafing and/or lollygagging if I were on the ADS roster this coming season.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:56 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post

Weber/Josi
Suter/Klein
Blum/Ekholm

I can tell you something.

3 out of 6 are swiss ! at least by origins.

Josi ... we all know
Suter and Weber ... are for sure swiss emigrates .... these names can only come from here over !

GoPredsGo

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 05:18 PM
TootooTrain
-

Saturday and Wednesday games to be streamed online on the Predators home page:
http://www.predsontheglass.com/2011/...-two-home.html

Anybody know if people outside the region like me will be able to see the video? These occasionally have restrictions.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 06:21 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

So, who goes down this weekend?

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 06:51 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
So, who goes down this weekend?
I'm there with my wife, and a 1st timer.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:45 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
I'm there with my wife, and a 1st timer.
I hope they enjoy their first game!

But I think BFC was asking which players are cut this weekend

I haven't been able to make it to camp this year, and tonight is the first time I've seen any of the kids play since last summer... some of them I've never seen. I'll refrain from answering

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Top 6 Spaling

"And we have an injury........."

".......To one of the officials"

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote