HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp Thread - Preseason Over Preds go 7-1 - Roster cutdown to 25

Old
10-03-2011, 09:21 PM
markie8002000

vCash: 500
Only that Sweden paper only ones who reported about Ekholm was getting sent down or never made Nashville so I think we should wait and see what happens in next little while to if is correct or not....

markie8002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Tapp

About the Ekholm discussion: on the preview program on 102.5 that aired tonight, Callahan played an interview that he said he did with Trotz earlier today. Tom asked Trotz who surprised him the most in training camp. Trotz identified two players. The first was Ekholm. He said Ekholm is the one who is really pushing for a full time position, right now. He gave Ekholm a lot of praise. (Though, I guess based on the news in the Swedish paper, he didn’t make it.) The second player he identified was Gabriel Bourque. I hope they post the interview somewhere, so those who didn’t hear it can catch it.

In the “Instant analysis” section of the news release about Ellis, they comment briefly on each of the four defensemen competing for roster spots:

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=590985

Tapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:01 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Has anything been confirmed on Ekholm? I've only read where Ellis was sent down.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:11 AM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapp View Post
About the Ekholm discussion: on the preview program on 102.5 that aired tonight, Callahan played an interview that he said he did with Trotz earlier today. Tom asked Trotz who surprised him the most in training camp. Trotz identified two players. The first was Ekholm. He said Ekholm is the one who is really pushing for a full time position, right now. He gave Ekholm a lot of praise. (Though, I guess based on the news in the Swedish paper, he didn’t make it.) The second player he identified was Gabriel Bourque. I hope they post the interview somewhere, so those who didn’t hear it can catch it.

In the “Instant analysis” section of the news release about Ellis, they comment briefly on each of the four defensemen competing for roster spots:

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=590985
Dang. I forgot they had the predators season preview tonight. I'll have to see if I can find a webcast somewhere.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:58 AM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Has anything been confirmed on Ekholm? I've only read where Ellis was sent down.
Ekholm will indeed start the season in the AHL. His agent confirms that here; http://arbetarbladet.se/sport/brynas...-nobbar-ekholm

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:20 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
Ekholm will indeed start the season in the AHL. His agent confirms that here; http://arbetarbladet.se/sport/brynas...-nobbar-ekholm
Great news to wake up to today! He's not that far away and will get a great chance to play heavy minutes for the Ads. I think we'll see Ekholm make his NHL debut this season now...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Great news to wake up to today! He's not that far away and will get a great chance to play heavy minutes for the Ads. I think we'll see Ekholm make his NHL debut this season now...
Well I think I got it a bit wrong, his agent confirms that he's not one of the 7 D-men in Predators' NHL-team. Also says "he's really, really close to a place in Predators so right now. So I can't tell you how it will be with Brynäs. It could be that Ekholm returns home, but I don't now yet".

I think they edited the original article, probably because they assumed that he would start in the AHL, but that's removed now.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Well I think I got it a bit wrong, his agent confirms that he's not one of the 7 D-men in Predators' NHL-team. Also says "he's really, really close to a place in Predators so right now. So I can't tell you how it will be with Brynäs. It could be that Ekholm returns home, but I don't now yet".

I think they edited the original article, probably because they assumed that he would start in the AHL, but that's removed now.
I wouldn't doubt the article was updated at some point after you read it. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that he goes to Milwaukee to start the year...

Thanks for the update!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:10 AM
cheerupmurray

If Ekholm is that close to making the team (perhaps even first callup?) it would be a bad move for him to go to SEL. Unlike some other AHL-clubs Milwaukee has a good reputation for developing players. If the issues he is facing i related to getting used to the rinksize, he will not get any better at playing on smaller rinksize by playing in SEL. Even if he have great SEL-season he could come to the training camp next year with a even harder time cracking the roster if Ellis and Laakso have a sucessful year.

As far as I can tell, every d-man developed by Nashville has spent some time in AHL, even Suter and Weber, so it's not like it's a big insult to Ekholm that he didn't make the team out of camp.

Most of the time I think swedes should spend some extra time in SEL, being highly developed and refined when they go over to NA. In Ekholms case I think he should stay (Milwaukee being good at developing d-man is for sure a factor).

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:17 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
If Ekholm is that close to making the team (perhaps even first callup?) it would be a bad move for him to go to SEL. Unlike some other AHL-clubs Milwaukee has a good reputation for developing players. If the issues he is facing i related to getting used to the rinksize, he will not get any better at playing on smaller rinksize by playing in SEL. Even if he have great SEL-season he could come to the training camp next year with a even harder time cracking the roster if Ellis and Laakso have a sucessful year.

As far as I can tell, every d-man developed by Nashville has spent some time in AHL, even Suter and Weber, so it's not like it's a big insult to Ekholm that he didn't make the team out of camp.

Most of the time I think swedes should spend some extra time in SEL, being highly developed and refined when they go over to NA. In Ekholms case I think he should stay (Milwaukee being good at developing d-man is for sure a factor).
I would think he would be the first callup. Ellis probably needs more seasoning than Ekholm does. but even if he isnt the first callup he would almost certainly be the second.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I wouldn't doubt the article was updated at some point after you read it. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that he goes to Milwaukee to start the year...

Thanks for the update!
Haha, there are plenty of articles out now. Ekholm says he's still undecided if he should play in SEL or AHL, that it's a very difficult decision and that Nashville without a doubt wants him to stay in the USA... http://hockey.expressen.se/nhl/1.258...ill-elitserien

Old
10-04-2011, 11:48 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

So, either way, that puts the roster at 24?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:38 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
So, either way, that puts the roster at 24?
yes, if Eckholm isn't here I think we're at 24. So the question to me is whether both bouillon and fisher go on IR or just one? It kind of seems to me that they both go on IR

I don't remember what the "rules" are with Eckholm... Can he go back and forth between here and Milwaukee without having to clear waivers?

It seems like it'd be best for his development to go to Milwaukee for a short time, but what if they keep him up here and rotate him and somebody in and out until Frankie comes back...... I know he doesn't get the time playing, but what if that is going on.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:21 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($6.000m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($2.500m)
Patric Hornqvist ($3.000m) / Craig Smith ($0.715m) / Colin Wilson ($1.725m)
Blake Geoffrion ($1.062m) / Cal O'Reilly ($1.050m) / Nicklas Bergfors ($0.575m)
Nick Spaling ($1.000m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.350m)
Mike Fisher ($4.000m) / Zack Stortini ($0.550m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.500m) / Ryan Suter ($3.500m)
Jonathon Blum ($0.941m) / Kevin Klein ($1.350m)
Teemu Laakso ($0.675m) / Jack Hillen ($0.650m)
/ Francis Boullion ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($4.000m) / Anders Lindback ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: J.P. Dumont ($1.333m) / Brett Lebda ($0.516m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $56,300,000; CASH PAYROLL: $52,269,167; BONUSES: $1,325,000
CASH SPACE (24-man roster): $4,030,833

Numbers in cash and with a mid level cap. Cap will go higher with Fisher coming off IR.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:36 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

Numbers in cash and with a mid level cap. Cap will go higher with Fisher coming off IR.
Why would the number go higher with Fisher coming off IR? IR salaries count against the cap.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:05 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Why would the number go higher with Fisher coming off IR? IR salaries count against the cap.
A player will be sent to Milwaukee taking THEIR salary off

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Yourself

That would lower the cap not raise it.

Yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Pellegrino

Ekholm's agent confirms that things have changed during the day. Ekholm met the Predators' staff and he's in the NHL team as 8th D-man, so he's staying, for the moment, http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13727418.ab

Old
10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
A player will be sent to Milwaukee taking THEIR salary off
So available cap goes up ... not cap hit. got it.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I would think that he makes it as a 5-6 instead of wasting time on the bench.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 177
Quote:
Ekholm's agent confirms that things have changed during the day. Ekholm met the Predators' staff and he's in the NHL team as 8th D-man, so he's staying, for the moment, http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13727418.ab
I wonder if that doesnt mean he's 8th on the depth chart, and with Bouillon injured he would be 7th, and so the decision will be whether to stay up as a scratch or go to Milwaukee while the Preds carry 6 dmen.

could be they let him stay up as the 7, watch and learn and then give him a few games in place of Laakso or Hillen to see if he can hack it after all...

they did that with Sulzer, not that it seemed to work out that well...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 03:07 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I wonder if that doesnt mean he's 8th on the depth chart, and with Bouillon injured he would be 7th, and so the decision will be whether to stay up as a scratch or go to Milwaukee while the Preds carry 6 dmen.

could be they let him stay up as the 7, watch and learn and then give him a few games in place of Laakso or Hillen to see if he can hack it after all...

they did that with Sulzer, not that it seemed to work out that well...
Ekholm made the 23 man roster

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I wonder if that doesnt mean he's 8th on the depth chart, and with Bouillon injured he would be 7th
Maybe they got bad news regarding Bouillon's recovery or something.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
It kind of sounds like he's holding the Preds feet to the fire to keep him....

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:09 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
It kind of sounds like he's holding the Preds feet to the fire to keep him....
yes, it does to me also. sounds like poile is having to get used to that.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote