HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was the whole Kovalev aqquistion a scheme?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-11-2004, 11:30 PM
  #1
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,134
vCash: 500
Was the whole Kovalev aqquistion a scheme?

I'm starting to wonder whether the kovalev aqquisition at the deadline was more just a statement rather than an actual hockey trade.

Is it possible that the habs made this move to put themselves back on the map? I mean, people really started to talk about the habs after that move. I mean, they were talking before but the talks went to a new level after the kovalev signing.... and from what I gather, there was new buzz around the city of montreal.

My point is, maybe this was a scheme to show other UFAs that montreal is a team that is commited to making a big splash on the trade market if they feel that they need improvement in a certain area. This might show other UFAs that montreal is commited to winning and that Gillette is not a penny pincher. Contrast that to the canucks who never seem to go that extra mile to get one more big name player to obtain a balanced scoring attack due to the penny pincher owner who seems more interested in making money than anything else. I think that a UFA would now look at montreal seriously instead of just casually. And the Kovalev deal might have been the blueprint to start the new attiude in terms of attracting UFAs.

Gainey kind of hinted that montreal is viable option for UFAs too..... it sure feels good to have a GM that you can trust...... fiscally responsible yet not afraid to add that missing peice to the puzzle.... credit should also go to Mr. Gillette of course........ that's where everything starts.

Hackett is offline  
Old
08-11-2004, 11:37 PM
  #2
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
Good point, that could have very well been part of the reason why they aquired him, if so it worked cause in BG's latest press conference he said there was actually interest from the players again to come to Montreal, it hasn't been like that in recent years.

eddy is offline  
Old
08-11-2004, 11:54 PM
  #3
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
I'm starting to wonder whether the kovalev aqquisition at the deadline was more just a statement rather than an actual hockey trade.

Is it possible that the habs made this move to put themselves back on the map? I mean, people really started to talk about the habs after that move. I mean, they were talking before but the talks went to a new level after the kovalev signing.... and from what I gather, there was new buzz around the city of montreal.

My point is, maybe this was a scheme to show other UFAs that montreal is a team that is commited to making a big splash on the trade market if they feel that they need improvement in a certain area. This might show other UFAs that montreal is commited to winning and that Gillette is not a penny pincher. Contrast that to the canucks who never seem to go that extra mile to get one more big name player to obtain a balanced scoring attack due to the penny pincher owner who seems more interested in making money than anything else. I think that a UFA would now look at montreal seriously instead of just casually. And the Kovalev deal might have been the blueprint to start the new attiude in terms of attracting UFAs.

Gainey kind of hinted that montreal is viable option for UFAs too..... it sure feels good to have a GM that you can trust...... fiscally responsible yet not afraid to add that missing peice to the puzzle.... credit should also go to Mr. Gillette of course........ that's where everything starts.

Thats a very good point. Excellent post!!

Well, i could be true, but i also think Gainey did it for the obvious reasons which are of course to help the team get deeper in the playoffs. It was also said that the Habs needed to make the third round to break even, so this could have been another factor in the Kovalev deal Gainey had in mind......

We will never know, but its damn fun to speculate!!!

Mooch is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 12:29 AM
  #4
KingJarl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
Good point, that could have very well been part of the reason why they aquired him, if so it worked cause in BG's latest press conference he said there was actually interest from the players again to come to Montreal, it hasn't been like that in recent years.
It didn't hurt that he (Kovalev) turned out to be the key player in the Boston series either.

KingJarl is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 01:37 AM
  #5
F. Duchemin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Hilaire
Country: Canada
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
and that he kept saying how montreal is nice. The city not the poster...even if the poster is nice too.

F. Duchemin is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 02:38 AM
  #6
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,586
vCash: 500
I think it's a great post, but I doubt that the Montreal Canadiens need to stoop to this level. Especially with the best farm system in the league and one of the best goalies in the league and one of the best GMs in the league and American money to back it all up.

And, above all, Andre Savard.

I understand what you're staying, but first of all Gainey wanted Robert Lang.

The main point is: this team is not about publicity stunts, that's why they want to draft players with character.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 02:49 AM
  #7
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner
 
hockeyfan125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,019
vCash: 500
Gainey did it to show people for once he wanted to BRING guys to montreal instead of deal them away. He wanted to show the fans that he was commited to winning now, not in 5 years. Great move by a great gm, and i dont think montreal wouldve won the first round without kovy.

hockeyfan125 is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 02:55 AM
  #8
deauminic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Before Kovalev, the last big impact player we had (except maybe Theo) was Mark Recchi. Now, Recchi gave us Zubrus who gave us Zednick and Bulis. That's not bad, but none of them are impact players.

Kovalev was that player we hadn't had since Mark Recchi...well, that's what I think !

deauminic is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 07:59 AM
  #9
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarl
It didn't hurt that he (Kovalev) turned out to be the key player in the Boston series either.
yes thats true, i didn't say he wasn't.

eddy is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 08:41 AM
  #10
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,428
vCash: 500
Could be a spinoff of the move, but truthfully I don't think at that point Gainey was focused on anything but the upcoming playoffs. Nothing attracts players and gets a buzz around a team than making it deep into the playoffs. I think the Flames proved this point last year!!!

Darz is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 08:49 AM
  #11
Patty Roy
Registered User
 
Patty Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
I'm starting to wonder whether the kovalev aqquisition at the deadline was more just a statement rather than an actual hockey trade.

Is it possible that the habs made this move to put themselves back on the map? I mean, people really started to talk about the habs after that move. I mean, they were talking before but the talks went to a new level after the kovalev signing.... and from what I gather, there was new buzz around the city of montreal.

My point is, maybe this was a scheme to show other UFAs that montreal is a team that is commited to making a big splash on the trade market if they feel that they need improvement in a certain area. This might show other UFAs that montreal is commited to winning and that Gillette is not a penny pincher. Contrast that to the canucks who never seem to go that extra mile to get one more big name player to obtain a balanced scoring attack due to the penny pincher owner who seems more interested in making money than anything else. I think that a UFA would now look at montreal seriously instead of just casually. And the Kovalev deal might have been the blueprint to start the new attiude in terms of attracting UFAs.

Gainey kind of hinted that montreal is viable option for UFAs too..... it sure feels good to have a GM that you can trust...... fiscally responsible yet not afraid to add that missing peice to the puzzle.... credit should also go to Mr. Gillette of course........ that's where everything starts.
Good post. I don't think that there is any doubt that this was part of the motivation behind Gainey's move.

This team is on the rise, and at some point down the line (maybe one year, maybe two or three) this team is going to need to dip into the UFA talent pool for those 1 or 2 guys needed to put us over the top. Gainey is well aware of this is slowly but surely changing the fans and players opinions of the Montreal Canadiens.

Patty Roy is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 09:31 AM
  #12
JV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: na
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,482
vCash: 500
Anyone can trade for a pending UFA if they're prepared to pay the price in prospects and picks. Doing so may have some modest value in terms of "communicating" to the league and the players that the team is "serious". But the real test is to spend the money required to lure a true UFA into the fold. So far, Gainey hasn't done that. If he fails to land Kovalev or anyone of his calibre, how much of a "bump" in credibility as a UFA force will the Kovalev/Balej trade get us? Not very much, imo. Maybe not at all.

In the world of business, and the NHL is business...money talks and bullsh#t walks...., no matter how you "scheme".

JV is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 10:28 AM
  #13
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,206
vCash: 500
That trade was business as usual for a top notch GM. Did he do for symbolic reasons? I highly doubt that. Yet the effect you mention is there.

It showed that while Gainey was a top notch GM, he would not be handcuffed by the media, owner, fans or lack of connections that seemed to handicap previous GM's.

Joe Cole is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 12:00 PM
  #14
Skylab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,234
vCash: 500
I agree that first and foremost it was a hockey trade. Like others have said, the playoffs are a crapshoot and I'm sure that Gainey felt that adding Kovalev gave Montreal as good a chance as anyone to go deep.

That doesn't diminish the possilbe benefits that also come from the trade. I think that's where Hackett's post makes some sense. Yes it shows the league that things are changing in Montreal and that they are willing to take some chances and try to win. You must consider though that the Canadians were far from the only team to make this type of move. Looking only within Montreal's division shows that Toronto added Leetch, Ottawa added Bondra, Boston added Gonchar, etc.

I think another benefit, (beyond the league wide impact and the impact on the fans/media), is that it shows the team itself that management believes in them and maybe inspires them to go a little deeper.

I think the important thing now is how they build on the momentum that they seem to be building.

Skylab is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 02:16 PM
  #15
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,470
vCash: 500
Hmmmm... interesting theory.

I think it certainly makes Montreal more interesting for the likes of Demitra or Murray if Kovalev can't be inked; at the very least it shows a shift in perception compared to the dreary days of the late 90s when you had a hard time convincing 3rd-line UFAs to consider offers.

Montrealer is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 07:19 PM
  #16
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,134
vCash: 500
Just a little off topic... but besides gainey's performance so far...... another reason montreal might be an attractive place is because of us.... the fans. I know some players dont like the pressure of playing in the most successful franchise in pro hockey histroy but i wouldn't want those types of players anyways.

The montreal fans at the games jack me up with their spontaneous chants of "Ole, ole". The fans continue to sing the song of whatever is being played even after the puck is dropped. Its a fun city and a very fun atmosphere especially when the beloved habs are making the city of montreal proud

I suspect that this must rub off on some of the players that have visited bell center.... especially the europeans because it does sort of remind you of a soccer atmosphere.

Anyways, I know money is first and formost...... but if the money being offered by montreal and another team is virtually the same..... could the local atmosphere be one of the factors for a player deciding to come to montreal? Now, I know fans can turn sour fast as well but I dont see this team going in the wrong direction.

Hackett is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 07:21 PM
  #17
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
Just a little off topic... but besides gainey's performance so far...... another reason montreal might be an attractive place is because of us.... the fans. I know some players dont like the pressure of playing in the most successful franchise in pro hockey histroy but i wouldn't want those types of players anyways.

The montreal fans at the games jack me up with their spontaneous chants of "Ole, ole". The fans continue to sing the song of whatever is being played even after the puck is dropped. Its a fun city and a very fun atmosphere especially when the beloved habs are making the city of montreal proud

I suspect that this must rub off on some of the players that have visited bell center.... especially the europeans because it does sort of remind you of a soccer atmosphere.

Anyways, I know money is first and formost...... but if the money being offered by montreal and another team is virtually the same..... could the local atmosphere be one of the factors for a player deciding to come to montreal? Now, I know fans can turn sour fast as well but I dont see this team going in the wrong direction.
I totaly agree.....good post

you make me feel so special

x-bob is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 10:48 PM
  #18
EaGLE1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauminic
Before Kovalev, the last big impact player we had (except maybe Theo) was Mark Recchi. Now, Recchi gave us Zubrus who gave us Zednick and Bulis. That's not bad, but none of them are impact players.

Kovalev was that player we hadn't had since Mark Recchi...well, that's what I think !
I agree. Mark Recchi was our last great acquisition. He played great with the habs. But he and Koivu were the only good players on the ice. The PP was terrible so it was hard to rack up the points like in PHI or PIT. I really like Recchi, a true classy guy. I really don't consider his trip to MTL a failure...

EaGLE1 is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 10:59 PM
  #19
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
I totally disagree. Gainey gave up Balej and a second round draft pick just to make a "statement"? He saw a type of player the Habs didn't have and he was proved right in the playoffs, where Kovalev shone and mauviettes like Ribeiro and stiffs like Dagenais choked. Now I hope Gainey signs Kovalev for a few seasons.

Corey is offline  
Old
08-12-2004, 11:06 PM
  #20
EaGLE1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
I totally disagree. Gainey gave up Balej and a second round draft pick just to make a "statement"? He saw a type of player the Habs didn't have and he was proved right in the playoffs, where Kovalev shone and mauviettes like Ribeiro and stiffs like Dagenais choked. Now I hope Gainey signs Kovalev for a few seasons.
We badly need another star player in our lineup if we want to beat TOR, OTT...

I don't agree with posters that say we already have a playoff team..and bla bla bla.
Our offence will be too young to do real damage.

EaGLE1 is offline  
Old
08-13-2004, 07:02 PM
  #21
Moester
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
I think that the move was probably all of the above and a little more. I think that Gainey made a good move and actually came out on top especially if he can sign Kovy for a little while. Personally I think that it was more then a move for the playoffs and a sign that we're looking to get better it was also a gamble made using the resources we have.
I know a lot of people who think that losing Balej and a second rounder was a major blow, but lets be honest here Balej was a second stringer at best and a losing a second rounder was a big deal but not life threatening. As a matter of fact Montreal has a surplus of talented people that are second line material (not an insult to the players but not everyone is a first stringer) and if they don't start moving and yes in some cases gambling with the talent we have then we might as well just resing ourselves to be an ok team and hope that we draft a superstar before we lose the players we do have.
If we lose Kovy, then yes, many of us are going to be disappointed and the nay sayers will point a finger every time Balej scores a point saying that we gave him up for nothing. Personally I think that if you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Moester is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.