HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howard Berger: Philly vs LA Cup Final this year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-24-2011, 09:43 AM
  #1
TonySCV
Moderator
Push to the 8th Tee
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,665
vCash: 500
Howard Berger: Philly vs LA Cup Final this year

Always interesting to hear Howard's insights, particularly considering his recent track record.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howar...-Right/3/37693

"Philadelphia and Los Angeles will play for the 2012 Stanley Cup (don't laugh... I had three of the past four Cup finalists - Philadelphia and Chicago in 2010; Boston and Detroit last spring - and I picked the Bruins to win it all last October)."

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:04 AM
  #2
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,815
vCash: 500
And the cup winning goal will be scored by one of:

A) Mike Richards
B) Brayden Schenn
C) Wayne Simmonds

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
  #3
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
I was thinking PHI-LA finals ever since the trade.

Unfortunately, I see Schenn having a great series and Pronger hoisting the cup.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:24 AM
  #4
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault
 
Bad Will Hunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southie
Posts: 26,243
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post

Unfortunately, I see Schenn having a great series and Pronger hoisting the cup.
Booooooooooooooooooooooo!

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:25 AM
  #5
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Booooooooooooooooooooooo!
Agree.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:40 AM
  #6
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14
 
CTKingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 2,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I was thinking PHI-LA finals ever since the trade.

Unfortunately, I see Schenn having a great series and Pronger hoisting the cup.
Na Schenn always chokes in the playoffs.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:44 AM
  #7
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 10,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I was thinking PHI-LA finals ever since the trade.

Unfortunately, I see Schenn having a great series and Pronger hoisting the cup.
I think your crystal ball is defective. You should return it to Amazon. They have a good return policy.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:12 AM
  #8
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault
 
Bad Will Hunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southie
Posts: 26,243
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I think your crystal ball is defective. You should return it to Amazon. They have a good return policy.
LOL!

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:38 PM
  #9
Axl Rhoadz*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 958
vCash: 500
Gotta love it, picking a team that hasn't see playoff action past the 1st round in 10 years, going to the cup final. Uh huh.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:29 PM
  #10
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Gotta love it, picking a team that hasn't see playoff action past the 1st round in 10 years, going to the cup final. Uh huh.
Carolina and Edmonton werent even in the 04 playoffs before going to the finals in 06

The Penguins came within 2 games of winning it all with practically no playoff experience in 08

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:34 PM
  #11
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Gotta love it, picking a team that hasn't see playoff action past the 1st round in 10 years, going to the cup final. Uh huh.
That'd be as foolish as picking Carolina to make the cup finals in 2002 when they hadn't won a playoff series since 1986.

Oh wait...

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:03 PM
  #12
Quattro
Registered User
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Honestly, I can't see Philly getting there. I think they will struggle to make the playoffs.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:12 PM
  #13
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,980
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Honestly, I can't see Philly getting there. I think they will struggle to make the playoffs.
Depends. I really like what they have done. They kept their defense intact, added quality goaltending, and maintained their offense. They sacrificed a little offense for goaltending, but they are still very potent goal scorers.

JvR - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Briere - Jagr
Read - Schenn - Simmonds
Talbot - Holmstrom - Nodl

Timonen - Coburn
Pronger - Carle
Meszaros - Gustafsson

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

You can't tell me that that looks like a team that isn't poised to make the playoffs. Their top 6 is deadly, their top 4 is solid, and their goaltending is set.

__________________

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:15 PM
  #14
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,206
vCash: 500
the problem is Pronger, if he isn't back to his usual form due to his injuries, i think they will struggle to make the playoffs

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:34 PM
  #15
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 10,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
the problem is Pronger, if he isn't back to his usual form due to his injuries, i think they will struggle to make the playoffs
Plus his he is a 35+ contract so they can't replace his salary even if he gets hurt again. That contract was a horrible blunder by their GM.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:06 PM
  #16
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Andrew Knoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,355
vCash: 500
I grew up a Flyers fan and I don't see them having a great shot this year.

Pronger's health is up in the air and Timonen has shown loads of wear as well. Their defense corps/goaltending is strong if healthy but it might not be.

Up front, what did they really bring in to replace what they lost? They bring in Simmonds and Talbot to replace like Powe and maybe Leino (although I'd argue Leino was stronger than Simmonds last year by a fair margin), OK. Now you're looking at Schenn and Voracek to step in for a couple guys that would be bankable for 140 points and solid defense?

Forward corps have just had way too much turnover and sustained way too many losses in the past couple of years. They got good value in a vacuum for what they traded but as far as a contender at this very moment, I just don't see it.

The Kings, on the other hand, I could see coming out of the conference. They were a legit playoff team as they appeared and now they have gotten a helluva lot stronger up the middle with a healthy Kopitar and the addition of Richards. You never know what hand fate will deal you but as far as on paper, I think they have to be right there with San Jose in the division and certainly among the top five teams in the conference.

__________________
Danny Duberstein is good at two things ...
Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:18 PM
  #17
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 17,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
I grew up a Flyers fan and I don't see them having a great shot this year.

Pronger's health is up in the air and Timonen has shown loads of wear as well. Their defense corps/goaltending is strong if healthy but it might not be.

Up front, what did they really bring in to replace what they lost? They bring in Simmonds and Talbot to replace like Powe and maybe Leino (although I'd argue Leino was stronger than Simmonds last year by a fair margin), OK. Now you're looking at Schenn and Voracek to step in for a couple guys that would be bankable for 140 points and solid defense?

Forward corps have just had way too much turnover and sustained way too many losses in the past couple of years. They got good value in a vacuum for what they traded but as far as a contender at this very moment, I just don't see it.

The Kings, on the other hand, I could see coming out of the conference. They were a legit playoff team as they appeared and now they have gotten a helluva lot stronger up the middle with a healthy Kopitar and the addition of Richards. You never know what hand fate will deal you but as far as on paper, I think they have to be right there with San Jose in the division and certainly among the top five teams in the conference.
Bryzgalov is going to grow a beard and post 94 shutouts, and wallah the Flyers are in the Finals.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:24 PM
  #18
Axl Rhoadz*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
That'd be as foolish as picking Carolina to make the cup finals in 2002 when they hadn't won a playoff series since 1986.

Oh wait...
Compare them to whoever you want....we're still talking about the LA KINGS! If you haven't forgotten, their legacy is more about losing...unless I've missed something.

Call me when they've made it out of the first round.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:48 PM
  #19
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,980
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
I grew up a Flyers fan and I don't see them having a great shot this year.

Pronger's health is up in the air and Timonen has shown loads of wear as well. Their defense corps/goaltending is strong if healthy but it might not be.

Up front, what did they really bring in to replace what they lost? They bring in Simmonds and Talbot to replace like Powe and maybe Leino (although I'd argue Leino was stronger than Simmonds last year by a fair margin), OK. Now you're looking at Schenn and Voracek to step in for a couple guys that would be bankable for 140 points and solid defense?

Forward corps have just had way too much turnover and sustained way too many losses in the past couple of years. They got good value in a vacuum for what they traded but as far as a contender at this very moment, I just don't see it.

The Kings, on the other hand, I could see coming out of the conference. They were a legit playoff team as they appeared and now they have gotten a helluva lot stronger up the middle with a healthy Kopitar and the addition of Richards. You never know what hand fate will deal you but as far as on paper, I think they have to be right there with San Jose in the division and certainly among the top five teams in the conference.
I wouldn't call them contenders either, but I would definitely say they are in the discussion for the playoffs. People are underestimating Girioux, Briere, JVR, and Voracek and what Bryz can do with a borderline team if they have doubts. Not to mention throwing Jagr and Hartnell in the mix gives some very solid leadership up front that can still produce. The defense has concerns, but has more positives within it than doubts. They will make the postseason.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:58 PM
  #20
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault
 
Bad Will Hunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southie
Posts: 26,243
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Call me when they've made it out of the first round.
Hi when they've made it out of the first round, I'm Little Bunny Foo Foo and I am an alcoholic.

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 06:23 PM
  #21
Quattro
Registered User
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Depends. I really like what they have done. They kept their defense intact, added quality goaltending, and maintained their offense. They sacrificed a little offense for goaltending, but they are still very potent goal scorers.

JvR - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Briere - Jagr
Read - Schenn - Simmonds
Talbot - Holmstrom - Nodl

Timonen - Coburn
Pronger - Carle
Meszaros - Gustafsson

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

You can't tell me that that looks like a team that isn't poised to make the playoffs. Their top 6 is deadly, their top 4 is solid, and their goaltending is set.
Re: their top 6, they are depending an awful lot on a guy like JVR to be a lot better than he has been. Schenn hasn't even proved he can play at the NHL level yet. Jagr hasn't played in the NHL in 3 years. There is a very good chance he could be a bust. You can't just jettison two guys like Carter and Richards and expect no impact. Those are huge losses.

As others have said, big questions on Pronger's health. My biggest issue with the Flyers is that they are now Pronger's team and I think he is a huge a-hole and a cancer. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see that team melt down mid-season.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 06:28 PM
  #22
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,980
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Re: their top 6, they are depending an awful lot on a guy like JVR to be a lot better than he has been. Schenn hasn't even proved he can play at the NHL level yet. Jagr hasn't played in the NHL in 3 years. There is a very good chance he could be a bust. You can't just jettison two guys like Carter and Richards and expect no impact. Those are huge losses.

As others have said, big questions on Pronger's health. My biggest issue with the Flyers is that they are now Pronger's team and I think he is a huge a-hole and a cancer. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see that team melt down mid-season.
Maybe, but Schenn is easily NHL ready and is all but guaranteed the third line center job for the Flyers and Jagr has been playing solid pro hockey in the second best league in the world for 3 years, I wouldn't write him off. Giroux and Briere very comfortably replace Richards and Carter, and their wingers got much better. They could very well takeoff and go the other way... All I am saying is that that is a solid top 6 that can score some goals.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:59 PM
  #23
EagleBlack87
Score ze goals
 
EagleBlack87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Carolina and Edmonton werent even in the 04 playoffs before going to the finals in 06

The Penguins came within 2 games of winning it all with practically no playoff experience in 08
Stop arguing using facts, ahole. Apologize, NOW.

EagleBlack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:58 PM
  #24
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Compare them to whoever you want....we're still talking about the LA KINGS! If you haven't forgotten, their legacy is more about losing...unless I've missed something.

Call me when they've made it out of the first round.
Glad to see the naysayers are out even before the season has begun.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:04 PM
  #25
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Compare them to whoever you want....we're still talking about the LA KINGS! If you haven't forgotten, their legacy is more about losing...unless I've missed something.

Call me when they've made it out of the first round.
That's the attitude! I feel bad for you.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.