HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howard Berger: Philly vs LA Cup Final this year

Old
08-24-2011, 09:43 AM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

vCash: 500
Howard Berger: Philly vs LA Cup Final this year

Always interesting to hear Howard's insights, particularly considering his recent track record.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howar...-Right/3/37693

"Philadelphia and Los Angeles will play for the 2012 Stanley Cup (don't laugh... I had three of the past four Cup finalists - Philadelphia and Chicago in 2010; Boston and Detroit last spring - and I picked the Bruins to win it all last October)."

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:04 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

And the cup winning goal will be scored by one of:

A) Mike Richards
B) Brayden Schenn
C) Wayne Simmonds

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I was thinking PHI-LA finals ever since the trade.

Unfortunately, I see Schenn having a great series and Pronger hoisting the cup.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post

Booooooooooooooooooooooo!

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:25 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Booooooooooooooooooooooo!
Agree.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:40 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:

Na Schenn always chokes in the playoffs.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:

I think your crystal ball is defective. You should return it to Amazon. They have a good return policy.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I think your crystal ball is defective. You should return it to Amazon. They have a good return policy.
LOL!

Old
08-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Gotta love it, picking a team that hasn't see playoff action past the 1st round in 10 years, going to the cup final. Uh huh.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Gotta love it, picking a team that hasn't see playoff action past the 1st round in 10 years, going to the cup final. Uh huh.
Carolina and Edmonton werent even in the 04 playoffs before going to the finals in 06

The Penguins came within 2 games of winning it all with practically no playoff experience in 08

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:34 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
That'd be as foolish as picking Carolina to make the cup finals in 2002 when they hadn't won a playoff series since 1986.

Oh wait...

Old
08-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Quattro

Honestly, I can't see Philly getting there. I think they will struggle to make the playoffs.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Honestly, I can't see Philly getting there. I think they will struggle to make the playoffs.
Depends. I really like what they have done. They kept their defense intact, added quality goaltending, and maintained their offense. They sacrificed a little offense for goaltending, but they are still very potent goal scorers.

JvR - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Briere - Jagr
Read - Schenn - Simmonds
Talbot - Holmstrom - Nodl

Timonen - Coburn
Pronger - Carle
Meszaros - Gustafsson

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

You can't tell me that that looks like a team that isn't poised to make the playoffs. Their top 6 is deadly, their top 4 is solid, and their goaltending is set.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

the problem is Pronger, if he isn't back to his usual form due to his injuries, i think they will struggle to make the playoffs

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
the problem is Pronger, if he isn't back to his usual form due to his injuries, i think they will struggle to make the playoffs
Plus his he is a 35+ contract so they can't replace his salary even if he gets hurt again. That contract was a horrible blunder by their GM.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I grew up a Flyers fan and I don't see them having a great shot this year.

Pronger's health is up in the air and Timonen has shown loads of wear as well. Their defense corps/goaltending is strong if healthy but it might not be.

Up front, what did they really bring in to replace what they lost? They bring in Simmonds and Talbot to replace like Powe and maybe Leino (although I'd argue Leino was stronger than Simmonds last year by a fair margin), OK. Now you're looking at Schenn and Voracek to step in for a couple guys that would be bankable for 140 points and solid defense?

Forward corps have just had way too much turnover and sustained way too many losses in the past couple of years. They got good value in a vacuum for what they traded but as far as a contender at this very moment, I just don't see it.

The Kings, on the other hand, I could see coming out of the conference. They were a legit playoff team as they appeared and now they have gotten a helluva lot stronger up the middle with a healthy Kopitar and the addition of Richards. You never know what hand fate will deal you but as far as on paper, I think they have to be right there with San Jose in the division and certainly among the top five teams in the conference.

08-24-2011, 04:18 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post

Pronger's health is up in the air and Timonen has shown loads of wear as well. Their defense corps/goaltending is strong if healthy but it might not be.

Up front, what did they really bring in to replace what they lost? They bring in Simmonds and Talbot to replace like Powe and maybe Leino (although I'd argue Leino was stronger than Simmonds last year by a fair margin), OK. Now you're looking at Schenn and Voracek to step in for a couple guys that would be bankable for 140 points and solid defense?

Forward corps have just had way too much turnover and sustained way too many losses in the past couple of years. They got good value in a vacuum for what they traded but as far as a contender at this very moment, I just don't see it.

The Kings, on the other hand, I could see coming out of the conference. They were a legit playoff team as they appeared and now they have gotten a helluva lot stronger up the middle with a healthy Kopitar and the addition of Richards. You never know what hand fate will deal you but as far as on paper, I think they have to be right there with San Jose in the division and certainly among the top five teams in the conference.
Bryzgalov is going to grow a beard and post 94 shutouts, and wallah the Flyers are in the Finals.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
That'd be as foolish as picking Carolina to make the cup finals in 2002 when they hadn't won a playoff series since 1986.

Oh wait...
Compare them to whoever you want....we're still talking about the LA KINGS! If you haven't forgotten, their legacy is more about losing...unless I've missed something.

Call me when they've made it out of the first round.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post

I wouldn't call them contenders either, but I would definitely say they are in the discussion for the playoffs. People are underestimating Girioux, Briere, JVR, and Voracek and what Bryz can do with a borderline team if they have doubts. Not to mention throwing Jagr and Hartnell in the mix gives some very solid leadership up front that can still produce. The defense has concerns, but has more positives within it than doubts. They will make the postseason.

Old
08-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

Quote:
Hi when they've made it out of the first round, I'm Little Bunny Foo Foo and I am an alcoholic.

Old
08-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Depends. I really like what they have done. They kept their defense intact, added quality goaltending, and maintained their offense. They sacrificed a little offense for goaltending, but they are still very potent goal scorers.

JvR - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Briere - Jagr
Read - Schenn - Simmonds
Talbot - Holmstrom - Nodl

Timonen - Coburn
Pronger - Carle
Meszaros - Gustafsson

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

You can't tell me that that looks like a team that isn't poised to make the playoffs. Their top 6 is deadly, their top 4 is solid, and their goaltending is set.
Re: their top 6, they are depending an awful lot on a guy like JVR to be a lot better than he has been. Schenn hasn't even proved he can play at the NHL level yet. Jagr hasn't played in the NHL in 3 years. There is a very good chance he could be a bust. You can't just jettison two guys like Carter and Richards and expect no impact. Those are huge losses.

As others have said, big questions on Pronger's health. My biggest issue with the Flyers is that they are now Pronger's team and I think he is a huge a-hole and a cancer. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see that team melt down mid-season.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Re: their top 6, they are depending an awful lot on a guy like JVR to be a lot better than he has been. Schenn hasn't even proved he can play at the NHL level yet. Jagr hasn't played in the NHL in 3 years. There is a very good chance he could be a bust. You can't just jettison two guys like Carter and Richards and expect no impact. Those are huge losses.

As others have said, big questions on Pronger's health. My biggest issue with the Flyers is that they are now Pronger's team and I think he is a huge a-hole and a cancer. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see that team melt down mid-season.
Maybe, but Schenn is easily NHL ready and is all but guaranteed the third line center job for the Flyers and Jagr has been playing solid pro hockey in the second best league in the world for 3 years, I wouldn't write him off. Giroux and Briere very comfortably replace Richards and Carter, and their wingers got much better. They could very well takeoff and go the other way... All I am saying is that that is a solid top 6 that can score some goals.

Old
08-24-2011, 08:59 PM
EagleBlack87
Score ze goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Carolina and Edmonton werent even in the 04 playoffs before going to the finals in 06

The Penguins came within 2 games of winning it all with practically no playoff experience in 08
Stop arguing using facts, ahole. Apologize, NOW.

EagleBlack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:58 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Compare them to whoever you want....we're still talking about the LA KINGS! If you haven't forgotten, their legacy is more about losing...unless I've missed something.

Glad to see the naysayers are out even before the season has begun.

Old
08-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Shellz

Quote:

That's the attitude! I feel bad for you.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote