HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wojtek's Busy Summer

Old
08-24-2011, 10:08 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Wojtek's Busy Summer

First sessions with Barb Underhill (there you heard her name one more time) and now Gary Robert's BioSteel training camp.

Quote:
The BioSteel camp is in its second year, and it's basically just a week of hard training done in Toronto by 30 or so top level players with trainers Matt Nichol and Gary Roberts.

Players pay their own way to go to the camp, and there's now a waiting list to get in. It takes place at an undisclosed location so that fans and autograph seekers don't show up.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2140105/

The guy deserves some credit. It appears he may have gotten Tortorella's message last May. This could be interesting.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:11 PM
ruckus*

Him having a 45-50 point season goes a long way to increasing our chances in this conference.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Good for him!

Hope it turns into production. I believe it will, figuring it's his contract year to add to that...

It's great to see our boys put extra work in during the summer to improve.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:13 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Is that what MDZ did last year? Great.

Kidding kidding. Glad to see W2 put in work. Don't see how this helps his game much though, since even though he's a big dude he's not really one to go in the dirty areas.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:21 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I'm glad he's putting in the effort off the ice this offseason, but the problem with Wolski has never been his off-ice work ethic, it's what goes on ice.

I don't know if these off ice training sessions will help him be more consistent and focused on the ice, but that's what he needs to work on. It's more mental then physical in my opinion.

With that said of course he is working hard this offseason. The man is in a contract year and is looking to cash in. As long as he can be somewhat consistent this year we should be ok. The minute he starts to slow down then it really makes that LW void (even if Dubinsky is filling it) a lot more noticeable, and hurts our LW depth tremendously.

08-24-2011, 10:22 PM
param

vCash: 50
As an outsider looking in it's quite impressive how much initiative some guys on the Rangers are taking to improve their game. Last year it was Brian Boyle taking skating lessons, which paid HUGE dividends for him. This year Wolski's trying to improve himself...hell even Avery is practicing his physical game by getting into altercations with the Police .

But seriously though, the Rangers' culture has come a long way in like five years.

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Great news. I really hope that he comes through for us next season

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:27 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
As an outsider looking in it's quite impressive how much initiative some guys on the Rangers are taking to improve their game. Last year it was Brian Boyle taking skating lessons, which paid HUGE dividends for him. This year Wolski's trying to improve himself...hell even Avery is practicing his physical game by getting into altercations with the Police .

But seriously though, the Rangers' culture has come a long way in like five years.
And yet somehow we are still stigmatized as an organization that only goes out and gets the big ticket free agents, and has no idea how to develop a player/system.

I'm glad that outsiders are taking notice. We have come a long way in that when we actually go out and get a big player, it's a player that actually fits in perfectly with what we're doing moving forward. Not just spending money because we can.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:30 PM
beastly115

This is why I don't want to trade Wolski yet. The guy wants it. Can't say he's not trying. Let's just hope it turns into on ice production.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:31 PM
ColonialsHockey10

If Wolski played to his potential it would go such a long way.

Imagine this dude just figures it out and becomes that perfect fit with Richards and Gaborik.

His on ice effort it the problem, yes, but if the guy is working this hard over the off season to improve it's surely going to yield results on the ice in some way, shape or form.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:34 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Been saying it for awhile, Wolski will shock us.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:38 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Expecting a solid year from Wolski, IF he is cast in the correct role by Tortorella (or, in other words, being played with Anisimov/Callahan in favor of being played with Richards/Gaborik). He has a lot of natural skill, and if he could start using that skill to create space for himself, he could be one hell of a secondary scorer.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Muh
Beadle

Whether it works out remains to be seen, but gotta love seeing this out of Wolski. Hope he can put together a strong season, and hope to see him be a mainstay with Richards and Gaborik.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Good to see him putting in a lot of effort. This is a make or break year for him, he needs to prove he can stay in the NHL and he knows it. 45 < points would be great and would go a long way towards helping the team in the secondary scoring department. Come on Wojtek, you can do it!!! (Rob Schneider voice)

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:44 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Ok, putting in a top effort. Nice to hear.

If he shows up to camp and wows us, then ill be impressed. If he becomes a legitimate threat on the top line with Richy and Gabby, then kudos to Slats and Torts (and WW). Its only smart on his end. Hes in his walk year, hes got a shot to play with top end talent on a first line with an opening all ready for him. 1+1=2.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I think we'd all be amazed if we saw Wolski use all his talent. The guy has a lot of skill inconsistency has plagued him so far. If he played at his peak all season he would be the perfect fit at 1st line LW imo.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:49 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
If he played at his peak all season he would be the perfect fit at 1st line LW imo.
I still don't see the fit — talent wise, yes, he could certainly hold his own with Gaborik and Richards, but that line needs a strong presence on the ice. One that is good along the boards, tough, and physically intimidating, while still having a bit of a scoring touch. Obviously, that isn't Wolski. That's Dubinsky to a tee. I sincerely hope that Tortorella sees this, because Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik has the potential to be the best Rangers line since Straka-Nylander-Jagr in 06-07, possibly better.

Wolski's role is already filled by Gaborik — so, they wouldn't be a good fit toegther, now with Richards in tow. At his 'peak', he'd be an amazing fit on the 2nd line. Wolski-Anisimov-Callahan would be a versatile combo of grit, smarts, talent, and skills. It allows Wolski to focus solely on the offensive side of the game, which is his forte. Putting him with two already relatively mediocre defensive players in Gaborik and Richards gives him more responsibility, and while it would be nice if he could handle that, he has shown he isn't capable of doing so. Putting him on a line with two defensively sound players will definitely bring out the best of him.

Old
08-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I still don't see the fit talent wise, yes, he could certainly hold his own with Gaborik and Richards, but that line needs a strong presence on the ice. One that is good along the boards, tough, and physically intimidating, while still having a bit of a scoring touch. Obviously, that isn't Wolski. That's Dubinsky to a tee. I sincerely hope that Tortorella sees this, because Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik has the potential to be the best Rangers line since Straka-Nylander-Jagr in 06-07, possibly better.

Wolski's role is already filled by Gaborik so, they wouldn't be a good fit toegther, now with Richards in tow. At his 'peak', he'd be an amazing fit on the 2nd line. Wolski-Anisimov-Callahan would be a versatile combo of grit, smarts, talent, and skills. It allows Wolski to focus solely on the offensive side of the game, which is his forte. Putting him with two already relatively mediocre defensive players in Gaborik and Richards gives him more responsibility, and while it would be nice if he could handle that, he has shown he isn't capable of doing so. Putting him on a line with two defensively sound players will definitely bring out the best of him.
Fair points, but I see it a different way. If he is able to use the talents he has, playing with Richards and Gaborik would suit him better. Wolski would have more room to operate on the ice with the defense focusing on Richards and Gaborik, which would give him more opportunities to score.

I see AA and Cally playing a more grind it out, down low style which Duby is a better fit for. Unless I am missing a point where Wolski succeeded last year with AA and Cally, I think he could get lost in that style of play and we wouldn't get the most out of the talents he has.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:21 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Been saying it for awhile, Wolski will shock us.
I hope so goose !

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:23 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Fair points, but I see it a different way. If he is able to use the talents he has, playing with Richards and Gaborik would suit him better. Wolski would have more room to operate on the ice with the defense focusing on Richards and Gaborik, which would give him more opportunities to score.
This is how I see it:

Richards' game revolves around the cylce. Neither of Gaborik or Wolski are good board players; if you put Richards with two linemates that cannot positively affect his style of play, you're setting him up to fail.

Dubinsky is a perfect fit on that line. He'll work the boards with Richards, while Gaborik gets open in the front of the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
I see AA and Cally playing a more grind it out, down low style which Duby is a better fit for. Unless I am missing a point where Wolski succeeded last year with AA and Cally, I think he could get lost in that style of play and we wouldn't get the most out of the talents he has.
Wolski's game is similar to Gaborik's, in that he doesn't really seize the play, but he lets the play come to him. Playing on a line with Anisimov and Callahan, he won't have to make his own space. Their board play will open space for him, and allow him to be that stealth scorer that he is.

Old
08-24-2011, 11:24 PM
E Nixson