HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wojtek's Busy Summer

Old
08-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Hopefully he "gets it", like other posters have said.

I have faith that this is his year.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Greg in MA

Although I certainly hope W2 shows improvement enough to warrant a long look on the top line, I dread the defensive liabilities of a Wolski-Richards-Gaborik line.

Greg in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 04:41 PM
TrollololBoyle

Good for Wolski, I think it's great that the Rangers have a coach that is very good at keeping players focused.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:32 PM
NYRantLftyC19

I know this might be jumping the gun, but if Wolski puts up 70+ points this year, do we keep him? He is still going to be a RFA i think.. so if we don't qualify him, do we trade him during the offseason, after the playoffs?

NYRantLftyC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:01 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRantLftyC19 View Post
I know this might be jumping the gun, but if Wolski puts up 70+ points this year, do we keep him? He is still going to be a RFA i think.. so if we don't qualify him, do we trade him during the offseason, after the playoffs?
I think we cross that hypothetical bridge when we get there, but right now the odds of that happening are leaning more to the "not happening" side.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:36 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in MA View Post
Although I certainly hope W2 shows improvement enough to warrant a long look on the top line, I dread the defensive liabilities of a Wolski-Richards-Gaborik line.
you worry about a 50, two 80+ point players, two all stars and a Selke winner?

...you worry too much.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:04 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

...you worry too much.
who in that line has won the selke?

Old
08-25-2011, 07:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

...you worry too much.
BR has never won the Selke.

He has Selke votes, though. But winner? Nope.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:08 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

hes gonna make alot of you peeps eat some serious crow

hes got the tools. he just needs to start strong and score a few goals.

we all forget he was snake bitten some what last season. could have easily had 5 more goals in his time here

as long as torts doesnt jerk him and trash his confidence, hes poised for a big year.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:41 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes gonna make alot of you peeps eat some serious crow

hes got the tools. he just needs to start strong and score a few goals.

we all forget he was snake bitten some what last season. could have easily had 5 more goals in his time here

as long as torts doesnt jerk him and trash his confidence, hes poised for a big year.
Making excuses already?

Old
08-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Making excuses already?
Seems like you already have your mind made up

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

It's Tortorella's fault for Wolski's roller coaster career.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:34 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Making excuses already?
nope. i just pay attention to how our coach operates.

like i said, if he leaves him alone, gives him some pp time, and doesnt drop him down to the 4th line, hell have a solid season.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:50 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
nope. i just pay attention to how our coach operates.

like i said, if he leaves him alone, gives him some pp time, and doesnt drop him down to the 4th line, hell have a solid season.
Right so excuses then.

Old
08-26-2011, 04:49 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Right so excuses then.
...or explaining his standpoint? If he's put on the 4th line he's obviously not gonna have a great season?

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:52 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I'm glad he's putting in the effort off the ice this offseason, but the problem with Wolski has never been his off-ice work ethic, it's what goes on ice.
No, his problems are 100% mental.

Old
08-26-2011, 04:53 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
...or explaining his standpoint? If he's put on the 4th line he's obviously not gonna have a great season?
Not that i care either way about wolski in this particular situation but that specific poster always makes excuses for players he likes. How could we all forget the jesus reincarnation that is enver lisin.

oh lawddy he has all the potential in TEH WORLDZ but dat damn turtlerella gon' put him down with scrubs, all his fault!

Wow, that was rough to type out.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:00 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Not that i care either way about wolski in this particular situation but that specific poster always makes excuses for players he likes. How could we all forget the jesus reincarnation that is enver lisin.

oh lawddy he has all the potential in TEH WORLDZ but dat damn turtlerella gon' put him down with scrubs, all his fault!

Wow, that was rough to type out.
Haha, true that, but I guess he have a soft spot for the underdogs...

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:38 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Hey, say what you want about ODC but he's more knowledgeable than a lot of guys here.

Maybe not when it comes to judging Russian guys we got from the Yotes...but remember Wojtek is polish, not russian.

I think Wolski is going to have to put up 60 points to impress me. Anywhere in the 50-60 range, I guess. Anything less and it'd sorta be a disappointment.

It's just as likely to happen as it is not to happen, you really don't know with this dude.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:52 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
His response is a veiled anti torts tirade. He's saying that if Wolski has a bad season it's Tort's fault and not his. Torts isn't going anywhere. Get over it.

Couldn't it POSSIBLY be Wolski's fault if he's in that situation?

Old
08-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
As an outsider looking in it's quite impressive how much initiative some guys on the Rangers are taking to improve their game. Last year it was Brian Boyle taking skating lessons, which paid HUGE dividends for him. This year Wolski's trying to improve himself...hell even Avery is practicing his physical game by getting into altercations with the Police .

But seriously though, the Rangers' culture has come a long way in like five years.
Anything else is impossible these days...

...a hockey season for most does nothing but break down your body. Most guys loose like 5-10 lbs during the year.

I doubt many even takes a week of. Then you gotta get back to building up your body again. You need to work out a good 25-30 hrs a week, and I would say that that hrs/week-workload probably is the avg for like 90-95% of the players in this league.

At the same time I am sure that there are slackers in the NHL too, undisciplined or immature guys, who should have done more during the summer. Of course. So its good to see that someone like WW is working out. But more like because the alternative would be pretty worthless.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Hey, say what you want about ODC but he's more knowledgeable than a lot of guys here.

Maybe not when it comes to judging Russian guys we got from the Yotes...but remember Wojtek is polish, not russian.

I think Wolski is going to have to put up 60 points to impress me. Anywhere in the 50-60 range, I guess. Anything less and it'd sorta be a disappointment.

It's just as likely to happen as it is not to happen, you really don't know with this dude.
He will need to hit 60 points to get a qualifying offer. If he gets 50, W2 will not receive an offer from the Rangers and will likely have to take a 25-40% pay cut.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:36 AM
Ola

I would say that WW probably have some confidence problems (more than mental problems).

Everything went on rails for him, he made it in a hurry and got hyped early. Than now he have struggled for a couple of years, two teams has more or less given up on him, and its quite possible that this is the first real tough time for him in his young career.

Now, I do think the root of his problem -- and this is more worriesome -- comes from his flawed game more than anything else. IE, not his attitude and stuff like that.

WW is not a natrual skater, never will be, and he has that prototypical heavy stride that many guys in that mold has. He will never cover alot of ice. He will never be the first one in on the forcheck nor the first one back. He looses so much speed when he turns that its impossible for him.

Wolski has some potential in the sense that he can i) become a better hockeyplayer and ii) break out on the scoringsheet and post some good seasons. He does not have potential to become like a big star or something. He will always be a player who relys on taking advantage of the opertunities he gets as opposed to someone who can create his own opertunities.

And I think thats the root of his confidence issues, and something he needs to overcome. He needs to redfine his game so that he becomes more valuble on a shift per shift basis as opposed to on the score sheet.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:40 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

There's a perfect storm. Wolski knows the 1st line LW position is up for grabs. He's also in a contract season. A full year with Richards and Gaborik would go well to raise his value going into this summer.

Now, I've been saying this for some time. WW has a lot of skill but he is inconsistent. He isn't a player who can constantly create scoring chances and make his linemates better. Brad Richards, however, is such a player and when such a player plays with WW, they will be able to tap into WW's wealth of skill and make him a better player. Add to the fact that when Brad Richards and Marion Gaborik are on the ice, he's going to be the lowest on the defender's list of players to worry about. WW can be very opportunistic and so long he is able to earn and stick to the 1st line LW assignment, he's poised to have a very good year. Starting in the league, he benefited tremendously playing with Joe Sakic and later on with Paul Stastny. Actually he was a pretty consistent contributor playing with Sakic but I suppose that says more about Super Joe. He's 1 year removed from his best season (65 points split between COL/PHX) and I'm sure he has tons to prove (aside from earning a contract) personally about what type of player he can be. 2010 was his worst season to date and he'll want to bounce back strong for many reasons. The perfect storm I say!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:45 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
First sessions with Barb Underhill (there you heard her name one more time) and now Gary Robert's BioSteel training camp.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2140105/

The guy deserves some credit. It appears he may have gotten Tortorella's message last May. This could be interesting.
wow, I just saw that Yakupov and Galchenyuk are attending. They are going to get some serious advanced training playing with and against NHL players. There were a few other upcoming draftees listed I think...

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote