HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sam Rosen on Fan 590 (UPDATE: B. Richards too post 26)

Old
08-25-2011, 03:25 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Sam Rosen on Fan 590 (UPDATE: B. Richards too post 26)

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media...3_132851_12812

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

It's just nice to hear Sam's voice again.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:34 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sam was asked about Wolski. He doesn't feel Wolski is in the plans right now. If Wolski wasn't in the plans,the Rangers would have bought him out for 1/3 after Callahan re-signed.

Old
08-25-2011, 03:35 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
It's just nice to hear Sam's voice again.
This. Can't wait for the season to start.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:39 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sam was asked about Wolski. He doesn't feel Wolski is in the plans right now. If Wolski wasn't in the plans,the Rangers would have bought him out for 1/3 after Callahan re-signed.
Not necessarily. Who would've been our other top 6 left winger if we didn't bring back Wolski? He can very well be gone next year.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Thanks for sharing OP

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
good deal thanks for sharing RB

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
I can picture him talking right now right after the Rangers opening video. Ahh I miss it.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

So good to hear ya Sammy!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:16 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Not necessarily. Who would've been our other top 6 left winger if we didn't bring back Wolski? He can very well be gone next year.
Tell that to Sam Rosen. Sam wasn't talking about next year. If Wolski does not fit,the Rangers would have bought him out for 1/3 and cleared $3.3M in space instead of carrying a spare $3.8M forward.

Old
08-25-2011, 05:32 PM
gotmonte

Maybe Sam knows Sather is trying to "trade" wolski or something?

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:37 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Maybe Sam knows Sather is trying to "trade" wolski or something?
Sam doesn't have that kind of access. He always counted on Davidson for that. He's always surprised when something goes down or he's a great actor, which he's not.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:41 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Tell that to Sam Rosen. Sam wasn't talking about next year. If Wolski does not fit,the Rangers would have bought him out for 1/3 and cleared $3.3M in space instead of carrying a spare $3.8M forward.
You can't just look at things without being on the inside and say someone who has more than a few sources inside the organization is flat out wrong. Sam Rosen more than likely has regular conversations with Glen Sather himself. Perhaps if Wolski doesnt impress in camp, they send him to the AHL. They probably figured that it was worth the risk to carry his cap hit and hope he can become the same player he was with the Avs a few yrs ago.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:49 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

harsh but true words for wolski
I think he's in a brian boyle situation as it stands right now
He's "Penciled" into the lineup
Gotta come to camp and prove he belongs with this team

Let's hope he has a Boyle-like camp

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:15 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I'm surprised Sam is even talking about Hockey right now. He usually doesn't until preseason is over. He's all football until then. Sam isn't a hockey guy, he's a sports generalist and knows about football more than anything.

His assessment of Wolski is off, he says he's a good skater and he's not. Why else is this guy working with Babs?

Sadly, most of Sam's hockey knowledge is fed to him by the MSG media department.

-Henke, didn't sign a long term contract last year, wasn't even close.

Like I said in the thread about the Ranger's announcers, they need to get some that are real hockey people, NOT sports generalists.

His comments about WW is pure opinion and speculation from a guy who knows next to nothing and has had nothing to do with the team and will have nothing to do with the team until the end of preseason. It's up to WW to prove he belongs in preseason.

Last edited by vipernsx: 08-25-2011 at 06:31 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:21 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I'm surprised Sam is even talking about Hockey right now. He usually doesn't until preseason is over. He's all football until then. Sam isn't a hockey guy, he's a sports generalist and knows about football more than anything.

His assessment of Wolski is off, he says he's a good skater and he's not. Why else is this guy working with Babs?

Sadly, most of Sam's hockey knowledge is fed to him by the MSG media department.

Like I said in the thread about the Ranger's announcers, they need to get some that are real hockey people, NOT sports generalists.

His comments about WW is pure opinion and speculation from a guy who knows next to nothing and has had nothing to do with the team and will have nothing to do with the team until the end of preseason. It's up to WW to prove he belongs in preseason.
I like Sam Rosen

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:18 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
But why not carry him when they have no one else to spend the cap space on? I don't think he's in the org's pans beyond this upcomming season, but when you consider his shootout value, his ability to provide top 6 forward depth in the event of injuries, and that fact that we dont have the pressing need to free up several mil of cap space, it seems logical to me that they didn't buy him out... They may also believe he'll have some value at the deadline even if it's for a mid round pick, which is more than buying him out and getting nothing in return in terms of assets... Hagelin and MZA will definitely be question marks heading into the season, so I can also see WW being a little bit of insurance in the depth department.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:22 PM
92hatchattack

Quote:

I would have to assume that a guy that watches just about every single rangers game for how many years probably has to know a little something about hockey.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Pizza

....and maybe a little about the inner workings of the team.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:38 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:

Sam's a legend, and a very smart hockey mind. He's getting older and having trouble remembering details such as Lundqvist's contract situation, but when you're 65 and have that heavy a work schedule with hockey, football and boxing, mistakes like that are forgiven.

That said, I disagree with him. I think Wolski will be a critical piece to this year's team and that Sam might have meant going forward after this season. Regardless, Wolski-Richards-Gaborik is too intriguing to not give a legitimate try to for 20 games this season.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Chief

Sam is one of the best hockey broadcasters in the game. He's not a color guy or an "insider" (in the truest sense of the word) but he feeds his audience the facts and he knows who is on the ice as good as anybody out there.

Met him walking by his hotel in Ottawa on a game day with a few more Ranger buddies of mine who made the trip and he was into talking to us about the team. He wound up giving us a shout-out during the Ranger broadcast!

I can't wait to hear, "It's a power play goal!"

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:

Maybe you can teach Sam about hockey in your spare time.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
My perception is completely different. I met Sam at a charity function about eight years ago. It was December, during football/hockey season, and he was nice enough to indulge me with a good 45 minute conversation about the Rangers.

It was obvious to me that Sam lives and breathes Ranger hockey 24/7/365. He knew everything that was going on with the team, and had some mildly strong opinions about players and the team philosophy that he doesn't share over the air.

Sam is a true blue Ranger fan who also does football. And he's a very nice man.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:16 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:

This is some of the dumbest stuff ever. He's been doing hockey play by play for over 25 years, and you're telling me he isn't a hockey guy? If you said he isn't an "insider", I'd buy that, but to say he isn't a hockey guy is asinine.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Nich

I always thought Sam was a huge fan but EXTREMELY professional. He never let's his heart affect what he says on air.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was 100 % different in talking hockey off air

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote