HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sam Rosen on Fan 590 (UPDATE: B. Richards too post 26)

Old
08-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Mikos87

vCash: 500
Its Brad's time behind the mic.

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media...9_094930_14060

Good interview, getting used to NYC.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Maybe you can teach Sam about hockey in your spare time.
A fly on the wall fantasy that I'd like to share:

In it the "experts" I see on these boards actually get to share their insights with guys like Sam Rosen, Gordie Clark, Jeff Gorton, etc..

I think it would be priceless to catch guys like Sam rolling their eyes at some of the stuff we get the privilege to read here.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 11:10 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
My perception is completely different. I met Sam at a charity function about eight years ago. It was December, during football/hockey season, and he was nice enough to indulge me with a good 45 minute conversation about the Rangers.

It was obvious to me that Sam lives and breathes Ranger hockey 24/7/365. He knew everything that was going on with the team, and had some mildly strong opinions about players and the team philosophy that he doesn't share over the air.

Sam is a true blue Ranger fan who also does football. And he's a very nice man.
From what I've heard from those who has ever met him, including one of my best friends, that this is very accurate.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 11:33 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
From what I've heard from those who has ever met him, including one of my best friends, that this is very accurate.
Same. My dad started talking to him at the airport one time as Sam was waiting for a flight. He talked to my dad until the very last moment before he had to board. The conversation only ended when Sam would have missed his flight to keep talking. This was during the dark years, and my dad said that Sam said a number of times that he hoped the team would focus more on bringing in youth and less on bringing in big names.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Nothing too new/exciting on that Richards interview but good to hear (again) that he's in NY. Only means the season is that much closer.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 04:25 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Sam's a legend, and a very smart hockey mind. He's getting older and having trouble remembering details such as Lundqvist's contract situation, but when you're 65 and have that heavy a work schedule with hockey, football and boxing, mistakes like that are forgiven.

That said, I disagree with him. I think Wolski will be a critical piece to this year's team and that Sam might have meant going forward after this season. Regardless, Wolski-Richards-Gaborik is too intriguing to not give a legitimate try to for 20 games this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
My perception is completely different. I met Sam at a charity function about eight years ago. It was December, during football/hockey season, and he was nice enough to indulge me with a good 45 minute conversation about the Rangers.

It was obvious to me that Sam lives and breathes Ranger hockey 24/7/365. He knew everything that was going on with the team, and had some mildly strong opinions about players and the team philosophy that he doesn't share over the air.

Sam is a true blue Ranger fan who also does football. And he's a very nice man.
Sam was great with JD and I loved the two of them calling games together. There's no doubt that the guy watching, calling games and traveling with the team all year, year after year, he's going to gain some knowledge and opinions about the team and what's going on. He's also a nice enough guy to sit an schmooze hockey with people and that nice guy personality comes out on air and that's what we like about him. But put him in a room with relative kids like Olczyk, Jaffey, Panger or many others and he doesn't stand a chance when it comes to hockey knowledge. Put him in a room with comparably aged individuals like Doc Emrick, Pierre McGuirre, or Dave Strader and he'll fall behind just as quickly.

Nice guy...yes, hockey knowledge is that of anyone else traveling with the Rangers all year. Ask him hockey guru stuff not just hockey fan stuff and it's my opinion he's better off talking about the Giants defensive line or about Ali's revenge against Joe Frazier in 1974.

Like I've said before, MSG needs more hockey guys in their broadcast. Sam's not a hockey Guru and how could he not be an "insider" traveling with the team all the time covering hockey for so many years? If you're such a fan and years in the business, after a while wouldn't you become fairly connected? I want guys knowledgeable about players across the league, minors, jrs etc, not just the Rangers, Did Sam seem to possess that knowledge? Because that's a hockey guy.

Last edited by vipernsx: 08-29-2011 at 04:41 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 05:03 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Sam was great with JD and I loved the two of them calling games together. There's no doubt that the guy watching, calling games and traveling with the team all year, year after year, he's going to gain some knowledge and opinions about the team and what's going on. He's also a nice enough guy to sit an schmooze hockey with people and that nice guy personality comes out on air and that's what we like about him. But put him in a room with relative kids like Olczyk, Jaffey, Panger or many others and he doesn't stand a chance when it comes to hockey knowledge. Put him in a room with comparably aged individuals like Doc Emrick, Pierre McGuirre, or Dave Strader and he'll fall behind just as quickly.

Nice guy...yes, hockey knowledge is that of anyone else traveling with the Rangers all year. Ask him hockey guru stuff not just hockey fan stuff and it's my opinion he's better off talking about the Giants defensive line or about Ali's revenge against Joe Frazier in 1974.

Like I've said before, MSG needs more hockey guys in their broadcast. Sam's not a hockey Guru and how could he not be an "insider" traveling with the team all the time covering hockey for so many years? If you're such a fan and years in the business, after a while wouldn't you become fairly connected? I want guys knowledgeable about players across the league, minors, jrs etc, not just the Rangers, Did Sam seem to possess that knowledge? Because that's a hockey guy.
Whether or not they know the information or not, few NHL "voices" provide the sort of information that you are begrudging Sam for not delivering, and at best, two names of the ones you mentioned fall into that category. This is true for all of the major sports, but perhaps hockey most of all. There is practically zero analysis that happens during broadcasts. The average viewer isn't knowledgeable enough in the sport, and unfortunately is usually uninterested in such in-depth analysis.

I listen to Ed Olzcyk call 2-3 games a week during the season. I don't remember the last time I ever heard him say something, aside from locker room type stories, that was news to me regarding a player or a prospect or anything like that. And I don't think I've ever heard him give any kind of real, insightful analysis about the action on the ice. Not trying to pick on him. He's a nice guy, and I'm sure he does know a lot, but like nearly all of his peers, he doesn't provide anything other than surface information. Mostly obvious comments about the play. There is no broadcaster working national games that gives the sort of information during a game that you get from people like Jeff Van Gundy, Bill Walton, or (in a very different way) Charles Barkley, for example. They make honest, complex, and factual comments throughout the game that enrich the viewing experience. I almost never get that feeling watching NHL games.

I've met Sam, albeit briefly, but he knew a lot more than I thought he would. He doesn't know as much about prospects as Pierre McGuire, but he understands the science of the game very well. MSG broadcasting is nothing if not dumbed down to begin with.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

RangerBoy, I don't get the Richards edit in the title of the thread. "Too post 26"? Can u fill me in on the potential joke I'm missing out on lol

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
RangerBoy, I don't get the Richards edit in the title of the thread. "Too post 26"? Can u fill me in on the potential joke I'm missing out on lol
Post 26 in the thread

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
"too" as in, "as well".

There is another interview in post 26 as well.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

You're talking about a guy who spends more time talking about the opposing team's players that any broadcaster not named Emrick and you don't think he's a hockey guy? I was able to catch maybe a quarter of the Rangers games last year on MSG, the rest of the time I had to sit there listening to broadcasters drone about their home team's players on and on... and it's pretty obvious because I WANT them to talk about Rangers players more often.

And seriously, how would you even know what his level of knowledge is about hockey in general? I know the guy almost never mispronounces a name, which shows a dedication to prep that most broadcasters don't have, which also would mean he learns about other teams in the process. It's conjecture, but at least it has a basis in SOMETHING other than repeating how he isn't a hockey guy or guru.

That was a good interview by the way, but it was mostly PR for the organization.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Post 26 in the thread
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
"too" as in, "as well".

There is another interview in post 26 as well.
I know there is the Richards post, just didn't know that was what it meant. Thanks though.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote