HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Poile comments on Weber and the Offseason

Old
04-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Preddownsouth

vCash: 500
Poile comments on Weber and the Offseason

David Poile quotes from Josh Cooper: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...-staff-changes

Quote:
Asked whether he would make any changes to the coaching staff, Poile said no.
Quote:
Asked whether he would explore the possibility of trading defenseman Shea Weber, Poile shot down some league-wide speculation that has been percolating the past few weeks.
Thats not going to happen, he said.
Quote:
Were in a position where we have some flexibility and are looking to those opportunities if they get presented. For whatever reason, last year and the start of this year, 90 percent of free agents of high quality have been signed by teams trying to protect their own assets. So this is not as strong a group in the free-agent market. Because of that you may see some more hockey trades.
Quote:
On how he will approach the offseason:
Its stabilizing, reaffirming who your core is, and building around (goaltender Pekka Rinne) and Shea, and adding to that nucleus with younger players like (defenseman Roman Josi) and (forward Filip Forsberg) and some of the other guys coming up. We have a strong foundation in leadership with (forwards Mike Fisher, David Legwand and Paul Gaustad), so when I say it that way, it all makes me feel like were pretty close.
Now having said that, we need to get more dynamic with our forwards. We need more scoring. Again, you look at the stats, were not even that far behind some of the teams, but it feels like we are. We want to be better there.
Quote:
On how to proceed with Weber (two summers ago, the Predators took him to arbitration. Last summer he signed an offer sheet with Philadelphia but Nashville matched):
Its something thats probably taken time, both on the ice, off the ice with media, all those situations. But I think that its like everything else, I think its time to move forward, and weve certainly been trying to move forward and are going to move forward.
Im sure Shea would say exactly the same thing. It has been a long year or two. Its time to move on.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:47 AM
braindead

Not a comforting last quote on Shea.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Not a comforting last quote on Shea.
The last sentence is going to be taken out of context. He's referencing the fact that it's been a major question for the past two summers taking a lot of time and energy. Weber is now under contract long term and not going anywhere. Moving forward is in reference to moving forward now with reaffirming and strengthening the core of the team around Weber and Rinne as Poile said at the top of the paragraph...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:59 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

It sounds like both sides are tired of talking of the situation, it's over and both sides want to move on.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:14 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
It sounds like both sides are tired of talking of the situation, it's over and both sides want to move on.
That is what I got out of it, too, but I guarantee you some will make a mountain out of that molehill.......

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:22 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I just wish one day Poile snaps and says:

'We cut the ****ing check. We are happy to have Weber here, and I **** off with this ****** situation."

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:42 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I would be tired of dealing with it, too, if I were Weber or Poile. Journalists trying to create something out of nothing would get rather annoying.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:42 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I would be tired of dealing with it, too, if I were Weber or Poile. Journalists trying to create something out of nothing would get rather annoying.
It still doesn't address the fact that Weber or Rinne didn't play inspired and their play on the ice reflected that. This season was a by product of the end of last season and the offseason. There was lockeroom issues that haven't been addressed and Poile mentality is move on instead of acknownledging the problems. Poile and Trotz are joined to the hip. The offense has always been a problem since the Predators have been in existance and this half season it finally fell apart because the talent eroded. Spaling didn't develop into a top 6 and most of the team regressed drastically and he said we aren't that far off..

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
It still doesn't address the fact that Weber or Rinne didn't play inspired and their play on the ice reflected that. This season was a by product of the end of last season and the offseason. There was lockeroom issues that haven't been addressed and Poile mentality is move on instead of acknownledging the problems. Poile and Trotz are joined to the hip. The offense has always been a problem since the Predators have been in existance and this half season it finally fell apart because the talent eroded. Spaling didn't develop into a top 6 and most of the team regressed drastically and he said we aren't that far off..
And Hornqvist, Wilson, Fisher and Bourque were all injured for extended stretches... Not to mention Rinne was dealing with a shoulder injury from the KHL and obviously whatever was going on in Erat's head.

So no, I don't think they are that far off. It was just a disaster of a season, but with a healthy roster + Forsberg + Mac/Drouin/Barkov + UFA #4 D-man... this is right back to a team that consistently finishes 4th-8th.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:24 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Since the first lock out, we've had a top 10 offense 3 or 4 times, so the offense hasn't always been a problem.

As far as not addressing the lockerroom issue, how do you know that? Maybe it was Tootoo, Suter, Radulov, AK or Erat. How do we even know there was a lockerroom issue, it's all speculation with no real basis. Maybe it was just slow start and injuries. Maybe Marty Erat's problem wasn't something personal, maybe he felt the Predators wingers were going to cut into his time from here out and he wanted to try his luck in a different system.

I think this staff and front office has earned an off season to right this ship. We have no reason not to take Poile at his word.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:30 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I agree with this. In addition, I also think there's a hint of "we both understand that he's now a Pred long term and that's that".

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Nashville Transplant

I think Poile handled himself quite well as he delivered his state of the franchise address to the media and handful of fans who came out to listen. He did say, and this is not represented above, that the team would be looking to add a veteran FORWARD in the off season, and for that I am grateful

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
I think Poile handled himself quite well as he delivered his state of the franchise address to the media and handful of fans who came out to listen. He did say, and this is not represented above, that the team would be looking to add a veteran FORWARD in the off season, and for that I am grateful
The quotes from today's article were given yesterday prior to the game in Columbus.

This morning Poile said specifically after saying that the focus is on adding skill to the lineup that Erat will not be replaced by Forsberg or anyone else from the farm, but would be replaced by a veteran acquired this summer.

Another quote to add to all of this was from Weber this morning when he said he has spoken with Poile about the team's objectives for this offseason and said he agreed and was on board. Further, when asked point blank whether or not he would ask to be traded he said no and immediately reiterated that he was happy here, wanted to stay, and build the team.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Seth Lake

Must read...

Quote:
Its a question that may never go away as long as Shea Weber is playing for the Nashville Predators. And its a question that was asked today as the team met with the media for the final time before the off-season begins.

Are you committed to staying in Nashville? Weber was asked.

The combination of the Predators disappointing season that resulted in a 27th-place finish and a mid-season trade request from veteran forward Martin Erat led to more speculation outside of Nashville that Weber may become unhappy with the organization and the direction its headed in.

So when he was asked that question, Weber said without hesitation, For sure, yeah. Definitely. Im committed to everything here the team, coaching staff and my teammates. Im committed to being better for them next year and getting back to the postseason.

By the time he was done speaking to the media, Weber left no doubt that he is fully committed to the Predators.
http://smashville247.net/index.php/2...nashville.html

Old
04-28-2013, 04:06 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
rinne played hurt, if you werent paying attention... and yet still managed to have 5 shutouts (tied for league lead)... he carried us for half the season before the injury took its toll.

Weber got off to a slow start but after the first ten games he was his old self... the problem was all the good supporting cast started falling off and eventually we got below critical mass for a competitive NHL franchise

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:07 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
That's why he's our captain

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:11 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
The quotes from today's article were given yesterday prior to the game in Columbus.

This morning Poile said specifically after saying that the focus is on adding skill to the lineup that Erat will not be replaced by Forsberg or anyone else from the farm, but would be replaced by a veteran acquired this summer.

Another quote to add to all of this was from Weber this morning when he said he has spoken with Poile about the team's objectives for this offseason and said he agreed and was on board. Further, when asked point blank whether or not he would ask to be traded he said no and immediately reiterated that he was happy here, wanted to stay, and build the team.

That is huge. I said as soon as Erat was traded that it was going to force Poile to make some big moves this summer and its refreshing to hear him go ahead and admit it

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:23 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Freakin sweet. Love reading that.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Jubal

Quote:
Love it. Thanks for posting.

I would say post it on the main board to shut everyone up, but they'll probably just close their eyes and ignore it and still swear he doesn't want to be here.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:01 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
this still wont be good enough for some, unfortunately. Good to hear him back himself up, cant wait for next season.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:52 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Well there's Shea's commitment comments people were clamoring for.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Well there's Shea's commitment comments people were clamoring for.
They will still be countered with the usual "Well, what else is he going to say?" etc..., type comments.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:00 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

That's fine. There will always be naysayers. For me it's plenty.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:01 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Yesss. Finally.

Kudos to the blogger for having the stones to ask the real question everyone wants to know the answer to, and getting a good quote for it.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:32 PM
braindead

Quote:
That's fine. There will always be naysayers. For me it's plenty.
Me too.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote