HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Still Random After All These Years... (RTOTD v.2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Nitrous Mafia

vCash: 500
no damage in Inglewood.

::: vibes ::: to anyone affected

Old
02-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Made the GNASH All-star team (Nashville high school hockey)! A bit surprised, but man am I excited.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Currently in Edinburgh (Scotland). I miss hockey.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:20 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Currently in Edinburgh (Scotland). I miss hockey.
There's an easy way to fix that, depending on how long you're staying.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Jonesey
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Made the GNASH All-star team (Nashville high school hockey)! A bit surprised, but man am I excited.
They still do the all-star game? I remember playing in the first one they did.. we ended up losing in 2 on 2 overtime..

Old
02-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Thanks bud. Yeah I got to talkin with some folks around town and in local pubs. Most of them aren't that familiar with ice hockey, but there are a few die hards out here. I did see hockey on tv for a moment in a sports bar by the train station but it may have just been a highlight reel.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Yeah, you did. Congrats! I'll see you at practice on Thursday...

Old
02-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
They still do the all-star game? I remember playing in the first one they did.. we ended up losing in 2 on 2 overtime..
5:15 PM this Saturday night at Centennial Sportsplex.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
5:15 PM this Saturday night at Centennial Sportsplex.
I'd be there but I don't get off work til 7.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:05 AM
SavageSteve

I so want this as a Predators game night giveaway using Sergei Kostitsyn as the gnome!! He always has reminded me of a Keebler Elf anyway!! I would treasure it forever!

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...nome-giveaway/

Old
02-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Gotta say, Team West goaltending looks solid after stopping 10 minutes of fast-paced breakaways before letting the first goal in last night. Real question has to be, where are our All-Star forwards?

Old
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Up here in Upstate NY.

*people fighting for bread and milk at Walmart*

*look down to weather channel ap, 1-3 inches*

*eyerolls*

Old
02-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Gotta say, Team West goaltending looks solid after stopping 10 minutes of fast-paced breakaways before letting the first goal in last night. Real question has to be, where are our All-Star forwards?
That Derek Lyle kid is ok...

That practice was the most fun I've had in a long time. Awesome to play with skilled guys. That 10 minute shootout drill was a great moment too. I have no idea how so few pucks went in the net, but certainly happy about it.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
That Derek Lyle kid is ok...

That practice was the most fun I've had in a long time. Awesome to play with skilled guys. That 10 minute shootout drill was a great moment too. I have no idea how so few pucks went in the net, but certainly happy about it.
Yeah, Derek has been a lot of fun to watch this season. Very humble too. His brother is a sophomore and when they are together, it's seriously like watching the Sedin twins work their magic. It's been really refreshing to get back into coaching this year and see the number of quality student-athletes we have playing hockey in the area.

Derek actually told me on the way off the ice last night that he couldn't believe how many times he was stopped in the breakaway relay before finally breaking through. I think he might have been wore down a bit from scoring so many times during the scrimmage...

Old
02-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Yeah, Derek has been a lot of fun to watch this season. Very humble too. His brother is a sophomore and when they are together, it's seriously like watching the Sedin twins work their magic. It's been really refreshing to get back into coaching this year and see the number of quality student-athletes we have playing hockey in the area.

Derek actually told me on the way off the ice last night that he couldn't believe how many times he was stopped in the breakaway relay before finally breaking through. I think he might have been wore down a bit from scoring so many times during the scrimmage...
I faced him three times. Made a clean stop on the first one, he hit a pipe on the second, and on the third, he was about to start deking when a puck that Jarnigan cleared hit his stick from the other end of the rink and broke up the play. I breathed a huge sigh of relief on that one

After playing in the lower division for four years, it's refreshing to have an up-tempo practice with skill. There are some great players in the lower division and on my team *cough Orem cough*, but the top-to-bottom skill of the upper division and All-Stars is flat out fun to play against. Every shot is hard and accurate. Keeps a goalie on his toes.

I am zoned for Centennial, and could be there this year. As happy as I am at FRA - it's not often a goalie gets to win two championships and wear the C - a part of me still wishes I had taken the CHS route and played at a higher level with better teammates in front of bigger crowds. If I could do it over, I'd still choose the small school route, but I do think Centennial would have been a great option too.

Anyways, can't wait for the game tomorrow!

Old
02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I remember GNASH hockey from 10 years ago when I was in high school at Mt. Juliet. We won state going 26-1, had the top 4 scorers in the league and top goalie, and beat Centennial 8-0 in the City Championship game, which was followed by about 60 students rushing the ice and celebrating with the team. Centennial vs MJ was a huge rivalry back then because we were the two best teams, although CHS went like three years without beating us.

There was very little attention given to GNASH back then until me and a few friends started getting other students to go and we were really loud and crazy. Then other schools students didn't want to be shown up by Mt. Juliet so they brought a lot of students anytime they played us, and the cycle continued, and other schools got large crowds and so on and so on. MJ was sort of the hated team back then because we destroyed everyone and our students were admittedly pretty obnoxious. Admission used to be free back then, but after some people from MJ and Page got in a fight in the parking lot, they had to start charging to pay for security. I have no idea what attendance is like these days but back then it was awesome and frequently jam packed. There also was (IDK if there still is) a rule against bringing artificial noisemakers into the rink because for a year I brought a trumpet and used it as a goal horn among other things. Guess it annoyed people. Oops. Glory days.

Last edited by Drake744: 02-08-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I faced him three times. Made a clean stop on the first one, he hit a pipe on the second, and on the third, he was about to start deking when a puck that Jarnigan cleared hit his stick from the other end of the rink and broke up the play. I breathed a huge sigh of relief on that one

After playing in the lower division for four years, it's refreshing to have an up-tempo practice with skill. There are some great players in the lower division and on my team *cough Orem cough*, but the top-to-bottom skill of the upper division and All-Stars is flat out fun to play against. Every shot is hard and accurate. Keeps a goalie on his toes.

I am zoned for Centennial, and could be there this year. As happy as I am at FRA - it's not often a goalie gets to win two championships and wear the C - a part of me still wishes I had taken the CHS route and played at a higher level with better teammates in front of bigger crowds. If I could do it over, I'd still choose the small school route, but I do think Centennial would have been a great option too.

Anyways, can't wait for the game tomorrow!
Then as a student-athlete you made the right decision. That's always been my advice to those looking at schools. Find the right one for you first as an individual, then make sure it's best for you as a student, and only then should you finally take into consideration hockey or any other club or sport activity you enjoy. If you make the first two assessments correctly, you'll never look back and regret the rest.

I think part of the fun for the skaters last night was figuring out the drills and seeing them understand the concepts as they went through them. The pace was excellent from start to finish and like you I too am looking forward to the game tomorrow night!

P.S. I'm pretty sure it was Derek's teammate Clay Wood shooting the puck off of Lyle's stick as he started to deke on that breakaway. Clay was celebrating after that.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I remember GNASH hockey from 10 years ago when I was in high school at Mt. Juliet. We won state going 26-1, had the top 4 scorers in the league and top goalie, and beat Centennial 8-0 in the City Championship game, which was followed by about 60 students rushing the ice and celebrating with the team. Centennial vs MJ was a huge rivalry back then because we were the two best teams, although CHS went like three years without beating us.

There was very little attention given to GNASH back then until me and a few friends started getting other students to go and we were really loud and crazy. Then other schools students didn't want to be shown up by Mt. Juliet so they brought a lot of students anytime they played us, and the cycle continued, and other schools got large crowds and so on and so on. MJ was sort of the hated team back then because we destroyed everyone and our students were admittedly pretty obnoxious. Admission used to be free back then, but after some people from MJ and Page got in a fight in the parking lot, they had to start charging to pay for security. I have no idea what attendance is like these days but back then it was awesome and frequently jam packed. There also was (IDK if there still is) a rule against bringing artificial noisemakers into the rink because for a year I brought a trumpet and used it as a goal horn among other things. Guess it annoyed people. Oops. Glory days.
Going to watch a couple of games at Centennial tonight, but otherwise have been mainly limited to seeing the crowds at A-Game. Support really depends on the school. We've gotten some really good crowds for Centennial games, but then again the school is literally a mile down the road from the rink. Our first game at Centennial this season was on Rink B and the stands were full against JPII, but for our second game there this season against Mt. Juliet it wasn't nearly as full and mainly made up of family and friends. Prior to our first game against JPII the crowd was quite large for Ensworth and I believe MBA. The stands at A-Game were packed for Ravenwood-Brentwood on Wednesday night with both teams celebrating senior night.

Again, it really depends on the team...

Old
02-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Why are some schools' teams paired with other schools that make no sense? Like why is MJ paired with a Clarksville school, when Wilson Central (who we used to be with back in the glory days and is right nearby) is paired with BA? And that's just one of many puzzling combinations I'm looking at. That's odd to me.How do they determine this?

Old
02-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Why are some schools' teams paired with other schools that make no sense? Like why is MJ paired with a Clarksville school, when Wilson Central (who we used to be with back in the glory days and is right nearby) is paired with BA? And that's just one of many puzzling combinations I'm looking at. That's odd to me.How do they determine this?
Co-ops are entirely decided by the schools themselves. Sometimes two coaches know each other, sometimes a team needs a goalie, etc. There isnt a system, it's just up to each team.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Don't know, but I believe the schools decide who they partner with for the most part. I can tell you that no one is forced to partner with anyone.

Mt. Juliet-Wilson Central was a great team, but they went their separate ways a few years back. Indy-Page was another long time co-op that split this season with Hume Fogg joining Page and Indy teaming up with Summit. Franklin co-opted this season with Oakland to grab their two netminders. Peter Yasso is their starting goalie this season...he also is the starting goalie for the Jr. Preds 18u travel program as well. Yasso is the All-Star Game starting goalie for the West and it's well deserved.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Going to watch a couple of games at Centennial tonight, but otherwise have been mainly limited to seeing the crowds at A-Game. Support really depends on the school. We've gotten some really good crowds for Centennial games, but then again the school is literally a mile down the road from the rink. Our first game at Centennial this season was on Rink B and the stands were full against JPII, but for our second game there this season against Mt. Juliet it wasn't nearly as full and mainly made up of family and friends. Prior to our first game against JPII the crowd was quite large for Ensworth and I believe MBA. The stands at A-Game were packed for Ravenwood-Brentwood on Wednesday night with both teams celebrating senior night.

Again, it really depends on the team...
Yep. Fans are entirely team-dependent. Our record so far this year is 5 non-relatives

Old
02-11-2013, 04:39 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'm just going to leave this here for all of the Monty Python fans in the house.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1347107

02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Interesting high school hockey story here today. An area team has been disqualified from the playoffs because of three checking from behind penalties during the season which automatically disqualifies the team.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps...190622291.html

That's a tough rule. Suspend the player(s) who checked a guy from behind? Sure, I'm on board with that. Suspend the whole team from postseason play because a few players did that? I can't get on board with that, it's not fair to the players who had nothing to do with it.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:33 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm just going to leave this here for all of the Monty Python fans in the house.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1347107
I love how he cut the image into tiles to get around the re-sizing system HF uses. Just a fantastic piece of work.

Closed Thread