HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

2013 heritage classic @ brand new winnipeg stadium?

Old
08-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Navin RJ

vCash: 500
2013 heritage classic @ brand new winnipeg stadium?

Purely speculation but if Winnipeg hosted the heritage classic at the new stadium, who do you think we should play?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 470_stadium_updated_100520.jpg‎ (32.2 KB, 117 views)

Navin RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Trizent

I think Winnipeg shouldn't even apply for outdoor game until their 6 year in the league. All those long term commitments will be done, honeymoon over. Makes sense business wise to do it later rather than sooner, IMO.

But to answer your question. Phoenix (if they are around) would be pretty cool and bring back old Jets, etc. Big love-in celebrating the history of pro hockey in Winnipeg. But probably makes more sense for Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. 2nd tier Edmonton, Calgary.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:23 PM
KingSalamon

Heritage Classic games are for two Canadian teams (the Americans get the Winter Classic). That being said, I think the ideal game would be Winnipeg vs Edmonton. There is a huge history with these two teams and with the way the two teams are loading up with talent, it could make for a great game!

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Navin RJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
I think Winnipeg shouldn't even apply for outdoor game until their 6 year in the league. All those long term commitments will be done, honeymoon over. Makes sense business wise to do it later rather than sooner, IMO.

But to answer your question. Phoenix (if they are around) would be pretty cool and bring back old Jets, etc. Big love-in celebrating the history of pro hockey in Winnipeg. But probably makes more sense for Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. 2nd tier Edmonton, Calgary.
thats a good point, probs should wait a little longer, i also think we should be able to play US teams but i would rather play Toronto or vancouver... mainly bc they havent been in one.

Navin RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:57 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Check out the business thread
This has been talked about before
And i for one say it should sooner because it gives an opportunity for those whom have been unable to get tickets the ability to get too a game.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:57 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Nope not yet

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:26 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 580
I would like to see us play Edmonton in 4/5 years. I think they'll be an excellent team by then, as we should be. And I think 4/5 years give us enough time to prepare to do it right. There is so much being done this year, I think a couple years of lighter work would be nice for TNSE.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:48 PM
trebendan

I would say Vancouver (because of the relationship with the Moose), Toronto ( they haven't been in one yet) or Minnesota (nearest geographical rival), in that order.

trebendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I was at the Heritage Classic in Calgary and it was a blast!

The NHL and CBC would probably want the Leafs to be the Jets opponent for a national game.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Jetsfan1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Check out the business thread
This has been talked about before
And i for one say it should sooner because it gives an opportunity for those whom have been unable to get tickets the ability to get too a game.
I totally agree; I am a young university student with not a lot of cash who has no connections in getting my hands on Jets tickets. If there was a Heritage Classic, I would at least stand a fighting chance to come up with a few tickets to enjoy a game that I could see live as opposed to on television (not that there is anything wrong with watching games on TV, but obviously it doesn't compare to seeing it in person).

Jetsfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Noeller

Sorry, gents -- my understanding is that the Heritage Classic will always feature the Habs, in order to appease the francophone populace of Canada.

It's a CBC (Crown Corp) thing...

Noeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:16 PM
WaveRaven

You guys are forgetting something unless something has changed. It is to be covered with a temporray dome in the winter. It was part of the deal for putting at the U. It could be done in November though.

"Blue Bombers stadium will have an inflatable bubble roof for winter months and 33,000 seats"

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=WinnipegHome

WaveRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Ozzie Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
You guys are forgetting something unless something has changed. It is to be covered with a temporray dome in the winter. It was part of the deal for putting at the U. It could be done in November though.

"Blue Bombers stadium will have an inflatable bubble roof for winter months and 33,000 seats"

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=WinnipegHome
That inflatable bubble ony covers the playing surface & not the stands. It's meant for particpants/training year round.

Ozzie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:57 PM
PensFan6687

No to Phoenix. I do not like that team and many people are over them here. Few Phoenix fans now in this city. I want a real team... ahhh Who knows, maybe the Coyotes will be a real team by then, if they are still located in Phoenix. If we ever do a Heritage game. Would love to have the Canucks play us. But if we're talking 5 years from now, the NHL we know now will be completely changed. As will the face of our team. So hard. Ask this question again when and if it does become a possibility. By then we'll already know the opposing team coming to play us. So it kind of makes it a moot discussion. lol

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:07 PM
SCP Guy

By the time we get an outdoor game in a few years the desert dogs will be in Quebec so it will be the Jets vs the Nords!

SCP Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Crazed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
By the time we get an outdoor game in a few years the desert dogs will be in Quebec so it will be the Jets vs the Nords!

I couldnt agree more. Jets vs. Nordiques would be the best fit.... but i suppose one step at a time.
I hope the Coyotes get put out of their misery at the end of this season.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:30 PM
badinsults
TWO WEEKS

Got to be the Oilers if they have it, to relive the 1979 Avco Cup, which the Jets won. Or perhaps the Quebec Nordiques to commemorate the 1977 Avco Cup.

badinsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:24 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I kinda want the Coyotes and Jets merge into one franchise like The Minnesota North Stars and Cleveland Barons did (Give them the History from the 1970-1998-99) and award Hamilton with the expansion and move the Isles to Quebec just cause I think Winnipeg should've had the Coyotes and it would look like what the Jets somewhat would've looked like now just not the same players and such.

I just brought it up cause of the Nordiques and Jets Heritage Classic mention.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 11:30 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
I kinda want the Coyotes and Jets merge into one franchise like The Minnesota North Stars and Cleveland Barons did (Give them the History from the 1970-1998-99) and award Hamilton with the expansion and move the Isles to Quebec just cause I think Winnipeg should've had the Coyotes and it would look like what the Jets somewhat would've looked like now just not the same players and such.

I just brought it up cause of the Nordiques and Jets Heritage Classic mention.
That wouldn't go over well today. NHL wouldn't accept that. The other board of governors members (all of them) would be like, what about the other teams needs and their right to strengthen themselves through a merger? The NHL would spend millions upon millions in relocation after relocation vs. shrinking their numbers.

Would be nice to add guys like Doan, Korpikoski, and Yandle for example to the roster, but highly unrealistic. I'll give you this though. My grandmother always said, if you're going to dream, DREAM BIG!

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Ziggy66

I would as well go with Edmonton as well! WHA connection, 87 Line brawl... there is just more of a history with Edmonton then any other canadian team. that I can remember anyway.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeller View Post
Sorry, gents -- my understanding is that the Heritage Classic will always feature the Habs, in order to appease the francophone populace of Canada.

It's a CBC (Crown Corp) thing...
Just postpone the demolition of Canadinns Stadium until the hockey game.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:39 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
That would be pretty sweet. I will be rooting for the Jets this season (after the Flyers, of course) and would love to see a Heritage Classic game played in Winnipeg at some point.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Mr Kotter

I would rather see the All-Star game played outside in Winnipeg. It would add excitement to the game, and weather wouldn't affect the outcome of a "real" game.

Mr Kotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:52 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Outdoor games are lame, so I agree, putting a lame no one really cares game outside is just fine in my books.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 05:52 PM
SubparSoup

I'm confused on how the inflatable dome will work. I thought it would only be used to cover the seats and not the actual field. If the bombers are playing playoff games in a dome I'm gonna be upset because we lose all home field advantage by going indoors. As for the outdoor game itself, weather would not be that big of an issue because the ice will actually stay frozen.

SubparSoup is offline   Reply With Quote