HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

2013 heritage classic @ brand new winnipeg stadium?

Old
08-27-2011, 07:13 PM
BrianL*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubparSoup View Post
I'm confused on how the inflatable dome will work. I thought it would only be used to cover the seats and not the actual field. If the bombers are playing playoff games in a dome I'm gonna be upset because we lose all home field advantage by going indoors. As for the outdoor game itself, weather would not be that big of an issue because the ice will actually stay frozen.
How could that possibly work? The dome covers the playing field. The stands are on the outside. It's for amateur use where an audience doesn't matter.

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
I'm confused on how the inflatable dome will work. I thought it would only be used to cover the seats and not the actual field. If the bombers are playing playoff games in a dome I'm gonna be upset because we lose all home field advantage by going indoors. As for the outdoor game itself, weather would not be that big of an issue because the ice will actually stay frozen.
No dome just an awning to cover fans

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:54 AM
BrianL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
No dome just an awning to cover fans
That's not what he is talking about. Here is a CBC report with some pictures that should spare us another 1000 words on this topic.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-winnipeg.html

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 03:17 PM
SubparSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
How could that possibly work? The dome covers the playing field. The stands are on the outside. It's for amateur use where an audience doesn't matter.
So it could still be used for an outdoor game by simply not inflating the bubble.

SubparSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 05:32 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

I would love to actually go see a game.. so I'm all for it

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:11 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
OK, so the field can be covered by a bubble. How much extra would it cost to get a bubble to cover the entire stadium, including the seats? I grew up in Winnipeg, and I really question the point of having an outdoor stadium that's useless for events for a significant chunk of the year. And while we're at it, a Grey Cup in early December in -20 or -30 degrees C isn't exactly my definition of "fun", either.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 07:15 AM
WaveRaven

vCash: 50
My point about the "Bubble" is that it's probably not cheap to put up each year. And once it's up it would be up until spring I'd think. Everyone seems to forget about that bubble.

So to have an outdoor game you could do it in fall or spring but not winter.

knorthern knight ... Bottom line you can't build a dome in Winnipeg because True North has an agreement that nobody can build an indoor facility that can compete with MTS center. So even if want to, you can't. In order to get Government and U support this bubble plan was hatched to make it more usebale year round. Gonna be expensive to run for some 8 year olds to play soccer

WaveRaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 04:18 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
OK, so the field can be covered by a bubble. How much extra would it cost to get a bubble to cover the entire stadium, including the seats? I grew up in Winnipeg, and I really question the point of having an outdoor stadium that's useless for events for a significant chunk of the year. And while we're at it, a Grey Cup in early December in -20 or -30 degrees C isn't exactly my definition of "fun", either.
The bubble that would cover the field will be $2 million. I suspect a bubble to cover the stadium - not an engineer, but i doubt something that big would be possible to build - would be several times that.

A domed stadium is not feasible in this city anyways, regardless of the agreement that is in place between the city/province and True North. The operating costs are too high and the idea that Winnipeg would attract several large concert acts during the winter is just a myth. There are no big concert acts during the winter that require a dome stadium. Most acts require no more than an arena and MTS Center serves that purpose quite adequately. Oh, and I forgot to mention the astronomical costs of the domed stadium itself, $400 million plus.

Winnipeg has had three Grey Cups. First one was -20 degrees Celsius, second one was plus 10 -12 (a record for that date I believe) and the third was around 0 - minus 2 at gametime. Minus 20 in late November is not the norm but the exception. I was at the last Grey Cup and it was fun. Just slap on some ski pants, hat and mitts, and bring a blanket and you should be good to go. I certainly wasn't freezing. You just need to prepare.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:07 AM
SubparSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
My point about the "Bubble" is that it's probably not cheap to put up each year. And once it's up it would be up until spring I'd think. Everyone seems to forget about that bubble.

So to have an outdoor game you could do it in fall or spring but not winter.

knorthern knight ... Bottom line you can't build a dome in Winnipeg because True North has an agreement that nobody can build an indoor facility that can compete with MTS center. So even if want to, you can't. In order to get Government and U support this bubble plan was hatched to make it more usebale year round. Gonna be expensive to run for some 8 year olds to play soccer
The bubble is going to be like the one they have at harvard stadium which takes 4 hrs to fill.

http://www.gocrimson.com/information...Stadium_Bubble

Old
08-30-2011, 07:10 AM
WaveRaven

vCash: 50
Quote:
The bubble is going to be like the one they have at harvard stadium which takes 4 hrs to fill.

http://www.gocrimson.com/information...Stadium_Bubble
The bubble takes approximately four hours to inflate once itís anchored to the Stadium infrastructure.

The bolded could be days of work .... just saying

WaveRaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:43 AM
SubparSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
The bubble takes approximately four hours to inflate once itís anchored to the Stadium infrastructure.

The bolded could be days of work .... just saying
It definitely would not be days of work. It is anchored to the stadium with metal arms that attach to existing slots in the stadium. The entire set up including inflation would be one day of work.