HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Announce 2 Year Extension for Logan Couture ($2.75m+$3m)

Old
08-26-2011, 06:59 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 500
#Winning.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:08 PM
5H4RK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tika View Post
Logan's comments on the contract:

Nice job DW and Logan "Twitture" Couture. If this was a game of chess we would be doing really right now.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tika View Post
Logan's comments on the contract:

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

future captain right there ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:36 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Herschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
nucks were probably more injured than we were - we lost demers sure, but error was gimp half the series, sammy and manny were out too. nucks outclassed us, their speed was too much, and our dump and chase hockey went no where since their dmen could move the puck up well, and well our defense was ****ing slow (having to play wallin or huskins really hemmed us in). and embarrasingly, no one on our team could stop the sedins, who were shut down in every other series. canucks, like chi the previous year, were simply better than us in talent.
Maybe it is selective memory but the Sedins didnt really dominate 5on5, it was on the PP were the bulk of their points came.

To me the series came down to depth and a bit of luck.

Had the Nucks come into the series with a top six forward out of the lineup it would have had a similar effect as the loss of a top 4 D for the Sharks. Credit Vancouver for having the D depth to handle their injuries, but outside of Kessler playing hurt their top six forwards were pretty healthly (for NHL playoff standards) and it was up front were they lacked depth.

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:29 PM
YoungSinatra
Deep Fried Frenz

vCash: 50
**** I'm jumping in my seat let's go!

YoungSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 12:22 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
A 6-1 blowout early in the season, They beat us by 1 and then we split shootouts. I don't call that convincingly. YMMV.

As I recall, your predictions for the Sharks last year were pretty bleak. Was it you that mentioned they might even miss the playoffs? I know many around here did.
I said that the Sharks were on the downside of their window would lose standings points (prediction 98), but would make the playoffs. My predictions of GF and GA were really close although I don't recall the specifics. I also accurately predicted that the Sharks would lose to the Nucks before the series began. They didn't even get to the two wins that I had them down for.

It does vary. The bottom line is winning. If the Sharks come out of the season series at 4-5 in standings points, I won't quibble. That wasn't the case. The games across the league generically are close because of the way coaching plays it. When I watched the games, it was as if the Nucks were toying with the Sharks. I only remember one reg season game where the Sharks were solidly in it and it was because of an in-game tweak by the coaching.

I haven't thought about it yet, but I suspect that I will predict that the Sharks will flatline this year on standings points, GF and GA. Essentially neutral on off-season moves. They opened a hole in forward depth to partially close a hole on defense. Just so you know I can be equally negative, Vancouver is going to hurt on GF, GA and standings points on the loss of Ehrhoff alone. The biggest hurt will be on their PP efficacy.

WT,
Kesler was initially hurt against Nashville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Maybe it is selective memory but the Sedins didnt really dominate 5on5, it was on the PP were the bulk of their points came.

To me the series came down to depth and a bit of luck.

Had the Nucks come into the series with a top six forward out of the lineup it would have had a similar effect as the loss of a top 4 D for the Sharks. Credit Vancouver for having the D depth to handle their injuries, but outside of Kessler playing hurt their top six forwards were pretty healthly (for NHL playoff standards) and it was up front were they lacked depth.
The Sedins nailed SJ with the PP.

Samuelsson was their 6th forward last year. It would have been like Seto or Pavs going down for the Sharks. Kesler was hurt worse than Heatley and occupied roughly the same spot in their forward depth as Heater. That is two top 6 forwards.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 12:45 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
WT,
Kesler was initially hurt against Nashville.
Source? The most I could find was Gillis' quote of
Quote:
Ryan Kesler has a hip problem that we don’t know the extent of yet
and I thought that came from Game 5. I wouldn't classify that as worse than Heatley unless there is more. Heatley had a broken left hand and a high ankle injury. That seems a lot worse.

And regardless of that, I still don't think Vancouver was more injured that the Sharks. Clowe is more valuable than Samuellson. Malhotra simply isn't that important, and he was still able to win face-offs which is pretty much all he is good for in the post-season. Nichol was injured as well which hurt his face-off ability. They had Kesler and Ehrhoff, the Sharks had Thornton, Demers, Boyle, and Pavelski.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Rolo

That is dirt cheap for Couture. Big raise after this contract.

Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post

and I thought that came from Game 5. I wouldn't classify that as worse than Heatley unless there is more. Heatley had a broken left hand and a high ankle injury. That seems a lot worse.

And regardless of that, I still don't think Vancouver was more injured that the Sharks. Clowe is more valuable than Samuellson. Malhotra simply isn't that important, and he was still able to win face-offs which is pretty much all he is good for in the post-season. Nichol was injured as well which hurt his face-off ability. They had Kesler and Ehrhoff, the Sharks had Thornton, Demers, Boyle, and Pavelski.
No. Sorry, but we didn't have Thornton. People like to re-write history implying that Jumbo was injured throughout the series but he wasn't. He only played one game with his dislocated shoulder and played well enough for an injured guy. His ****ed pinky or whatever did not affect his game, clearly.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:02 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
His ****ed pinky or whatever did not affect his game, clearly.
He could've played better, who knows. It probably affected his face-off percentage more than anything, but he was injured nonetheless. You could say the same thing about Kesler. He may have gotten injured in the Nashville series, but it clearly didn't affect him much. He still ended up with 11 points in 6 games. And I doubt he was more injured than Heatley. Heatley was just full of injuries.

Old
08-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Kitten Mittons

He might've gotten injured in the last game or something.

On a subject of Kesler, it's crazy how overrated his playoff performance was. Yes, he was injured in two of the series but his Chicago series had nothing to write home about, he was quiet against the Sharks and got completely shut down by Boston. One impressive series and he became a god. I actually like Kesler but excluding the Nashville series, he had 8 points in 19 games.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:06 AM
SJeasy

Quote:

I was reviewing the Nashville game when Kesler was injured. It completely took the speed out of his game. Extremely noticeable. One of the Sedin's had a minor ding as well. The Sharks may have been more injured as group but it was very close. And as was stated previously, it was only in the final game for which JT was injured. By that time, the Sharks were down 3-1.

I wouldn't dream of equating Clowe with Samuelsson. More like Seto. Even Pavs is an extreme stretch. The point was that Samuelsson was clearly top 6 last year and the drop in their offensive production with him out was very noticeable. They were extremely thin at forward. If Malhotra had been healthy, he was clearly third line on that team. There wasn't competition for spots on the third line from the Nucks fourth line.

Old
08-27-2011, 01:08 AM
SJeasy

Quote:

On a subject of Kesler, it's crazy how overrated his playoff performance was. Yes, he was injured in two of the series but his Chicago series had nothing to write home about, he was quiet against the Sharks and got completely shut down by Boston. One impressive series and he became a god. I actually like Kesler but excluding the Nashville series, he had 8 points in 19 games.
I agree that he was overrated on his performance. I saw a lot of Nashville, but enough of Chicago to see him falter dramatically. It was towards the end of the Nashville series where he was injured.

Old
08-27-2011, 01:18 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I was reviewing the Nashville game when Kesler was injured. It completely took the speed out of his game. Extremely noticeable. One of the Sedin's had a minor ding as well. The Sharks may have been more injured as group but it was very close. And as was stated previously, it was only in the final game for which JT was injured. By that time, the Sharks were down 3-1.

I wouldn't dream of equating Clowe with Samuelsson. More like Seto. Even Pavs is an extreme stretch. The point was that Samuelsson was clearly top 6 last year and the drop in their offensive production with him out was very noticeable. They were extremely thin at forward. If Malhotra had been healthy, he was clearly third line on that team. There wasn't competition for spots on the third line from the Nucks fourth line.
Still doesn't seem that close to me. Heatley's injury not only took what little speed he had, but it also took away his shot. Clowe was so injured that he needed help putting on his jersey and needed Wellwood to tie his skates for him. More offense was probably lost with a hurt Clowe than not having Samuelsson. There was a minor ding with Henrik, but you could say there was a minor ding with Thornton's pinky, and Couture got his nose broken in Game 3. That leaves Ehrhoff vs Boyle, Pavelski, and Demers.

Quote:

Why is Datsyuk considered a god in the post-season? Two cups on stacked teams. Worse PPG% than Thornton, slightly higher than Marleau, yet those two are considered chokers. Defensive play can only get you so far...

Old
08-27-2011, 01:22 AM
joe2cheech

Quote:

Why is Datsyuk considered a god in the post-season? Two cups on stacked teams. Worse PPG% than Thornton, slightly higher than Marleau, yet those two are considered chokers. Defensive play can only get you so far...
probably this

joe2cheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:27 AM
marbanasin

Quote:
Still doesn't seem that close to me. Heatley's injury not only took what little speed he had, but it also took away his shot. Clowe was so injured that he needed help putting on his jersey and needed Wellwood to tie his skates for him. More offense was probably lost with a hurt Clowe than not having Samuelsson. There was a minor ding with Henrik, but you could say there was a minor ding with Thornton's pinky, and Couture got his nose broken in Game 3. That leaves Ehrhoff vs Boyle, Pavelski, and Demers.

You guys over value heatley's shot. How many goals did he score from farther then say 10 feet out last season? Seriously. He wasn't scoring off that shot much, it was mostly trash in front of the net.

marbanasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:27 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2cheech View Post
probably this
Psh, wouldn't have happened if Setoguchi knew how to play defense. And Niemi should've had it. Man Niemi sucks at backhands.

Old
08-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbanasin View Post
You guys over value heatley's shot. How many goals did he score from farther then say 10 feet out last season? Seriously. He wasn't scoring off that shot much, it was mostly trash in front of the net.
I see this argument fairly consistently when it comes to Heatley but it doesn't matter how you score the goals. All that matters is that you score them. 56 rebound goals and 56 goals that come off of one timers are still 56 goals no matter how you slice it.

Heatley had skating issues for a good chunk of the year and it was obvious he wasn't as quick as he normally is. Maybe Drew had it right talking about his skating form being too upright. Maybe he had an injury. Who knows? Either way, how Heatley scores the goals is irrelevant. The only thing that really mattered is that he wasn't healthy going into the playoffs and he wasn't the goal scorer they needed in the playoffs. People should just be glad that DW realized that mistake, that a lot of the people here were saying at the time of his acquisition, and moved him when he did.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:44 AM
marbanasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I see this argument fairly consistently when it comes to Heatley but it doesn't matter how you score the goals. All that matters is that you score them. 56 rebound goals and 56 goals that come off of one timers are still 56 goals no matter how you slice it.

Heatley had skating issues for a good chunk of the year and it was obvious he wasn't as quick as he normally is. Maybe Drew had it right talking about his skating form being too upright. Maybe he had an injury. Who knows? Either way, how Heatley scores the goals is irrelevant. The only thing that really mattered is that he wasn't healthy going into the playoffs and he wasn't the goal scorer they needed in the playoffs. People should just be glad that DW realized that mistake, that a lot of the people here were saying at the time of his acquisition, and moved him when he did.
I agree, and I'm glad someone was getting the garbage as it's something the sharks have generally sucked at. But when people cry foul that Heater's epic shoot was lost in the playoffs and that's why he sucked they are so far off from why he wasn't producing.

marbanasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:46 AM
joe2cheech

Quote:
Psh, wouldn't have happened if Setoguchi knew how to play defense. And Niemi should've had it. Man Niemi sucks at backhands.

psh, it was DATSYUKIAN!!!!

joe2cheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:56 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbanasin View Post
I agree, and I'm glad someone was getting the garbage as it's something the sharks have generally sucked at. But when people cry foul that Heater's epic shoot was lost in the playoffs and that's why he sucked they are so far off from why he wasn't producing.
Having a broken left hand doesn't just mean he can't score, and not having a shot doesn't only apply to goal-scoring. You use your hands to get garbage goals, to pass, to stick-handle, to defend. You shoot not only to try and get a goal, but for rebounds off the pads as well.

Old
08-27-2011, 02:27 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2cheech View Post
probably this
There was plenty of skill involved in that play, for sure, but Datsyuk is lucky that went in. If you watch the replay again, after it hits the post, the puck actually hits in front of the goal line on the blue paint in the crease and then somehow kicks back in the net. Maybe that strengthens his case for being amazing in the playoffs, I don't know, but I just wanted to point that out.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 05:51 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

so with this final piece of the top 6 forwards and top 5 defensemen signed the sharks for next offseason have 9.3 million (if all stays status quo) to sign 8-9 players all of bottom pairing/line players.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote