HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stepan on the second line, Anisimov third

Old
08-27-2011, 05:26 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
Anisimov is more then a defensive center.lets be realistic here when looking at facts.

Anisimov had next to NO powerplay time all year.
Stepan seen a good amount of powerplay time.

Anisimov didnt play with many of the top scoreres on the team last year.

Stepan did.

Anisimov was never used in many offensive situations at all,whether it be power play,end of game,anything.
Stepan was.

my point?Anisimov STILL had 42 points while playing mostly with 3rd/4th liners while being a solid penalty killer.

pretty good for a defensive center,huh?
good points.

however, that doesnt change the fact that im still right.

arrty is primarily a guy who creates off his defense. turnovers, neutral zone cough ups, forechecking and counter attacking. his size and long arms- dude is really long and gangly, allow him to be an effective checker. hes been doing it since his days in hartford. his offense comes from playing solid 3 zone defense and hes damn good at it. he did alot of it his last year and best year with the pack when he played in both a scoring role and a checking role.

and if you remember with arty, many of his high light reel goals were individual efforts, many off turnovers, where he takes the puck end to end and ropes it top shelf. he can indeed score, but is this his best role ?

stepan is more of a "his side of the blue line " guy. hes more creative, sees the ice better, can make the tape to tape pass and has better puck poise. hes really dangerous down low and thats the big difference. derek stepan plays like a veteran when hes got the puck. he knows what to do with it and his vision is what sets these 2 apart.

derek is smoother and always has his head up while arty is a "head down " player, mechanical and slower to make decisions. arty is less sure of him self in those same situations. to me thats the bottom line, one is a true 2c while the other is a tweener better suited for that 3rd line role.

but yeah, youre right, arty still puts up points. 50 points for arty is a very nice season while playing his "selke" type game..

stepan has 70 points in him and more. 45 points as a rook in the nhl is pretty impressive. i expect him to continue to produce this season.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 04:20 PM
eco's bones

Stepan definitely has issues and there's a lot in his game that could do with some improvement but that's what you can also call upside. If Anisimov turns into a 50 point guy without really having the same issues--what's Stepan upside if he adds a step and a half speed and improves his shot and faceoff ability? All that and his ability to see plays happening a second or two early is why he's a more creative player with higher upside. Having both of these guys + Boyle is a really good problem to have. Barring career ending injuries the Rangers have their center position set for at least the next 3 to 5 years and that's why I think we should in the next year or two start making some real noise.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 01:12 PM
richardsequalscup*

Breaking up the only line that has shown consistent offensive chemistry would be the dumbest in a long line of dumb line combo ideas.

Dubinsky-Anisimov-Stepan must stay together. Torts must stop playing line changer. Leave that line alone.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
Anisimov is more then a defensive center.lets be realistic here when looking at facts.

Anisimov had next to NO powerplay time all year.
Stepan seen a good amount of powerplay time.

Anisimov didnt play with many of the top scoreres on the team last year.

Stepan did.

Anisimov was never used in many offensive situations at all,whether it be power play,end of game,anything.
Stepan was.

my point?Anisimov STILL had 42 points while playing mostly with 3rd/4th liners while being a solid penalty killer.

pretty good for a defensive center,huh?
Not quite sure if you're serious with this. Anisimov played with Dubinsky and Callahan at even strength for the majority of last season - the team's 2 best offensive performers. Im actually surprised I even have to write that since it should be pretty obvious to any fan that paid any sort of attention to the team last year. In fact, he looked lost offensively during the times those two players were removed from his line for whatever reason.

As for powerplay time, well, theres a reason Stepan got more of it than Anisimov - and its because hes more gifted offensive player.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Stepan is just a better player than Artie. I mean I'm not trying to say anything bad about him, because he is still a good player to have on the team, but Stepan is just better. It's pretty cut and dry.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Crease

I don't think its a foregone conclusion that Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan will enjoy the same chemistry they had at the end of last season, however you have to give them a chance to establish that success again at least through training camp.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Not quite sure if you're serious with this. Anisimov played with Dubinsky and Callahan at even strength for the majority of last season - the team's 2 best offensive performers. Im actually surprised I even have to write that since it should be pretty obvious to any fan that paid any sort of attention to the team last year. In fact, he looked lost offensively during the times those two players were removed from his line for whatever reason.

As for powerplay time, well, theres a reason Stepan got more of it than Anisimov - and its because hes more gifted offensive player.

Dubi and Callahan both missed weeks during last year due to injury,so that shoots down your theory that they played the majority of the season with Anisimov.they didnt.Torts juggled lines around when either was injured.

Torts changed lines around so much i would be surprised if any 3 players played on the same line together for more then 20 games(besides Boyles line)

not to mention all the times Anisimov got dropped off that line to the 3rd or 4rth line during games.i would have figured that was pretty obvious to anyone who watched the games last year.

Stepans a better playmaker then Anisimov,but Anisimov has a better shot.Anisimov was never given a fair shake on the power play.if he was,i bet he would have hit at least 20 goals.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
Stepan is just a better player than Artie. I mean I'm not trying to say anything bad about him, because he is still a good player to have on the team, but Stepan is just better. It's pretty cut and dry.
I have to disagree with you on that one.

Lets give Stepan a year to consolidate what he has done and maybe, maybe pass Anisimov, who is already a better defensive player in points despite getting much more PP time, and then we can declare Stepan the better player.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:55 PM
94now

You put Mike Rupp with Richards and Gaborik and whole logic behind need for Dubi on 1st line is going down the tube. Rupp is a good puck retriever and he is the protection the best NYR assets would need. We do not have D that would be able to police the ice once our first line is out there. Only when McIlragh is not only regular, but able to be on the ice over 20 min, we could afford someone like Dubi or Wolski there. You leave Richards and Gaborik unprotected, next thing you know is one is out with concussion and the other - with shoulder.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
You put Mike Rupp with Richards and Gaborik and whole logic behind need for Dubi on 1st line is going down the tube. Rupp is a good puck retriever and he is the protection the best NYR assets would need. We do not have D that would be able to police the ice once our first line is out there. Only when McIlragh is not only regular, but able to be on the ice over 20 min, we could afford someone like Dubi or Wolski there. You leave Richards and Gaborik unprotected, next thing you know is one is out with concussion and the other - with shoulder.
Having an enforcer out there to try to protect players is, in essence, trusting in vigilante justice to preserve society more effectively than the police force.

The referees are the police on the ice. Who protects Datsyuk and Zetterberg? Jagr? Those guys make out alright. And the fact is that fighters do not serve as any more an effective deterrent to cheapshot players like Cooke and Armstrong than lengthy suspensions do. So at the end of the day all you can do is try to get the best out of your guys.

Having a fighter isn't the world's worst thing, but he does not need to be playing 20 a game on the first line. That would make us essentially the joke of the league. Can you imagine Pittsburgh playing Eric Godard on Crosby and Malkin's wing?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Swedish Fish
LETS DOOO THISSS

just my opinion

wolski richards gabby

dubi arty cally

feds step prospect ( camp will be tough as hell)

avery/boyle/prust/rupp/ EC

Staal/ Girardi
Sauer/McD
DZ/Erixon
Eminger

Swedish Fish is offline   Reply With Quote