HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Yuri Alexandrov has inked a contract with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL.

Old
08-26-2011, 04:57 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Defected? What is this, 1965?

There are many North American players in the KHL. It's an option, like any other country that has pro hockey, one that can be more lucrative than, say Sweden or Switzerland.
The Great Kevin Dallman is indeed a star in the KHL ... I've also heard, in fact, that he is now officially a citizen of Kazakhstan

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:59 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Defected? What is this, 1965?

There are many North American players in the KHL. It's an option, like any other country that has pro hockey, one that can be more lucrative than, say Sweden or Switzerland.

I'm not going to condemn Alexandrov, because
I will ask again- when was the last time a non-Russian player was under contract with an NHL team and left (is that better?) for the KHL?

I'm fully aware there are players of all nationalities in the KHL. That wasn't my question.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
Maybe he never committed to learning English and wanted things handed to him like so many Russian players.

I tried for a long time to spin Alexandrov as a potential player, but he was just like the vast, VAST majority of other Russians that are just defectors-in-waiting.
From what I heard, Alexandrov had worked on his English even before he came here.

Just out of curiousity, how fast do you think you could learn Russian?

And do you have the numbers to verify that a vast VAST majority of Russians return to Russia? Does that include players like Slava Kozlov, who couldn't find a job in the NHL last year?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Who are we anyway? Maybe we were not told the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

PC did acquire a few extra Ds in the past year and none of them has his name plate in dressing room not yet they don't.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
I will ask again- when was the last time a non-Russian player was under contract with an NHL team and left (is that better?) for the KHL?

I'm fully aware there are players of all nationalities in the KHL. That wasn't my question.
I'm sure you can look it up if you want to know that badly. I'm also sure you could look up how many times it's happened, period. I have a feeling it's not an epidemic.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:21 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
I'm sure you can look it up if you want to know that badly. I'm also sure you could look up how many times it's happened, period. I have a feeling it's not an epidemic.
I never said it was an epidemic. Nor am I saying it's easy to be a Russian living in Providence, that it's easy to learn another language, or that Alexandrov is a bad person, or anything remotely like that.

What I am saying is that it seems to be Russians who are the ones not honoring their NHL contracts and heading to the KHL in these instances (Radulov the biggest). And therefore, if I were a GM, I'd be very wary of drafting Russians, which most seem to be.

To accuse me of bigotry in response is beyond weak.

Old
08-26-2011, 05:21 PM
patty59

I wouldn't draft or invest too much into a Russian player unless he is a high end type player. Obviously fringe Russian players are better off in the KHL, more $$ and closer to home.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:27 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I wouldn't draft or invest too much into a Russian player unless he is a high end type player. Obviously fringe Russian players are better off in the KHL, more $$ and closer to home.
Or if he slips into lower rounds.

I just can't imagine what it would have been like to be a Preds fan and see Radulov just up and leave when under contract. That can really hurt a franchise obviously, as it's just a wasted first round pick.

Old
08-26-2011, 05:30 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Agreed, it is not like this team is losing an actual star or even a role player, this team is losing a possible player that at best would be in the 2nd pairing I would imagine. He was hyped up but from what I have heard from the guys here, he has been nothing special.

Worst case scenario he goes and the Bruins put in another AHL d-man with the desire and want to play in Boston or he picks up someone through free-agency.

It is always alarming when one of your own leaves the organziation but I for one will not lose any sleep over it, and who knows he may play in the KHL get his confidence back and return next year?

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:31 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:

Well let's see:
generally,

Russians --> KHL

Canadians & Americans --> NHL

Other Europeans --> the other Euro leagues...

Now, why on earth wouldn't more North Americans be going across the world to play in a foreign league? Oh, that's right. The NHL is their home league. Whereas the KHL is Russia's main league.

It really isn't all that complicated, sheesh. No need to hate on the Russians for being Russian! Gotta respect them at the very least.

I'd still draft them too. You get top round players in later rounds; low risk, high reward. Sounds good to me!

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Say it ain't so, Yuri

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:36 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Well let's see:
generally,

Russians --> KHL

Now, why on earth wouldn't more North Americans be going across the world to play in a foreign league? Oh, that's right. The NHL is their home league. Whereas the KHL is Russia's main league.

It really isn't all that complicated, sheesh. No need to hate on the Russians for being Russian! Gotta respect them at the very least.

I'd still draft them too. You get top round players in later rounds; low risk, high reward. Sounds good to me!
Again, I am not "hating" on Russians.

But I do not know of any non-Russian players who've been under NHL contract and just decided to up and leave and go play in another league. And therefore I'd think twice before drafting one.

If I am wrong and there are non-Russians who've done so, let me know. It's possible they exist. I'm not aware of any.

Old
08-26-2011, 05:42 PM
ghostface89

Funny how everyone is kicking him out the door now. Wasn't everyone pumping his tires last year to make the big club?

Anyway... oh well.

ghostface89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Not surprised and was not a fan of the player. I didn't even have him in my prospect top-20.

He was smooth and smart, but he lacked pace and urgency in everything he did. Failed fitness test after fitness test. Struggled with the system. Played tired...

Hopefully this doesn't impact his friend Chudinov's decision making process on whether or not to give North America a try...

08-26-2011, 05:46 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Well let's see:
generally,

Russians --> KHL

I don't think so.

Usually if those "other euros" play in the NHL if they are good enough. You rarely here of a Swede leaving his NHL team to go play SEL.

Either way, losing him isn't a big deal, he wasn't that great and obviously wasn't going to play on the Bruins next year. So he goes back the KHL and makes more money. I don't blame him. If I wasn't good enough to play in the NHL I'd go home and make more money in a ****ier league.

Old
08-26-2011, 05:48 PM
patty59

Quote:
Or if he slips into lower rounds.

I just can't imagine what it would have been like to be a Preds fan and see Radulov just up and leave when under contract. That can really hurt a franchise obviously, as it's just a wasted first round pick.
Ya, I'd go with them in the later rounds. For sure, but not the first 4 rounds.

Old
08-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Diskothek

Damn, he had great skating ability. Was hoping I could watch him put some more tools together this season. Best of luck.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:56 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface89 View Post
Funny how everyone is kicking him out the door now. Wasn't everyone pumping his tires last year to make the big club?

Anyway... oh well.
That's how this place rolls...said it for years and years. The day they leave they were not taht important, not that good, won't be missed, yada, yada, yada, It's pathetic.

However, many people were not high on this player and have said so from the beginning, especially Bill and Kirk who told everyone to temper their enthusiasm.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:12 PM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Warbucks View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Chiarelli ok'd the deal.

He realizes the logjam at D in Providence, and probably also realizes that Alexandrov wasn't going to develop into an NHL player.
My thoughts exactly. This makes room for Button, Cantin, etc

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Damn, there goes a potential top pairing D. I had him pencilled in as the next Niedermeyer, too.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:29 PM
RG617

Kid looked like he was in over his head, but with some conditioning and work he could have turned out to be a player. Que sera sera.

Perhaps it's time for teams to start adding buyout clauses, meaning that the *player* has to pay a buyout number to the club if he wants to sign with a different league. Problem solved! Mediocre players taking up roster space are allowed to walk, guys who are crybabies and/or lazy players either have to suck it up or kick a chunk of their KHL contract back to their respective NHL team... and the NHL team still gets to keep their rights over here, just in case.

RG617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG617 View Post
Kid looked like he was in over his head, but with some conditioning and work he could have turned out to be a player. Que sera sera.

Perhaps it's time for teams to start adding buyout clauses, meaning that the *player* has to pay a buyout number to the club if he wants to sign with a different league. Problem solved! Mediocre players taking up roster space are allowed to walk, guys who are crybabies and/or lazy players either have to suck it up or kick a chunk of their KHL contract back to their respective NHL team... and the NHL team still gets to keep their rights over here, just in case.
Good thought, but I think unfortunately it will just lead to the KHL adding to that players contract to cover the cost of that buyout.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:00 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
From what I heard, Alexandrov had worked on his English even before he came here.

Just out of curiousity, how fast do you think you could learn Russian?

And do you have the numbers to verify that a vast VAST majority of Russians return to Russia? Does that include players like Slava Kozlov, who couldn't find a job in the NHL last year?
Alexandrov couldn't speak a lick of English when he came here, so if had worked on it, that is really a good indication of his work ethic.

And if I wanted to be a pro athlete at the highest level, living my dream, and it required me to learn working Russian, I'd bust my ass to learn working Russian. I'd absolutely be able to get by after 2 years of immersion that followed several years of knowing I'd need it eventually.

Russians are the only ones who run back to the KHL, or don't bother leaving in the first place. That is a fact. Why you argue it is pointless. The fact that you can only come up with Kozlov as a Russian who stayed unemployed in NA should be enough indication.

What I don't understand is why you constantly have to be the morality police here, or try to defend everyone and their brother, whether they warrant it or not. Alexandrov left the Bruins while under contract. That is not something that deserves a defense.

Good luck to him back in the Fatherland. It will be much easier for him to play in an inferior league.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

I guess this is the consequence of the no transfer agreement. Personally I think Yuri should have fulfilled the contract that he signed and comeback a second year now that he is more acclimitized to North America and the North American game but I guess he didn't think like it too much. Never saw him play or anything, he was underwhelming last year from what I understand, but maybe would have improved with a year under his belt? I wonder if we will ever see his buddy Chudinov, atleast he was a 7th rounder and worth a gamble.

Oh well. I agree, really be careful drafting Russians in the higher rounds. The ones that play juniors here obviously are more likley to stay.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:06 PM
BruinDust

B's had a glut of D-man pegged for Providence this season(9 by my count including Alexandrov). Yuri probably seen the writing on the wall, I doubt he would of got much of a chance for a call-up with the guys ahead of him. I always figured if he wasn't up with the big club at least as 7th D by the end of 2011-12 he was headed back home anyways. This is no loss.

BruinDust is offline   Reply With Quote