HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Baseless speculation: Olli Jokinen?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2012, 04:15 PM
  #1
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,376
vCash: 500
Baseless speculation: Olli Jokinen?

I know everyone wants Jarome Iginla however there is no real credible evidence to suggest the Flames have placed him on the trading block. The coaching change also suggests Iginla won that battle and he'll be back in Calgary for the start of next season. So with that being said, what do you think about trying to acquire Olli Jokinen? Here is the thought process:

-He's an impending UFA. The Flames are currently 2 points out of the final playoff spot so theoretically they may not be sellers. With a new coach they could decide to restock their talent pool and in doing so a player like Jokinen could bring in a draft pick or two, maybe even a solid prospect. If Jokinen likes it in Calgary and the feeling is mutual he could re-up with them this summer.

-Jokinen is a center and there are two ways to look at his role were he to come to Detroit: he could replace Z as the 2nd line center or he could play on the wing. As we've seen with Val Filppula his level of play has skyrocketed at the same time he was moved to wing. Jokinen is a shooter, so if he played with Fil and Z he'd have two solid set-up guys who are both defensively responsible.

-Jokinen is second to Iginla in 5v5 TOI and is second to Curtis Glencross in 5v5 points per 60 minutes. Glencross would be an interesting consideration but he's a) injured and b) signed for three more seasons to a very reasonable contract. He's a keeper. Jokinen does lead the Flames in goals scored per 60 mins when he's on the ice. He'd be a rock solid top 6 guy.

The thing I like best about Jokinen is he can be plugged in either as a center or as a winger. He has good size and I suspect he'd be a great fit with Fil and Z. He doesn't have much playoff experience so it's tough to predict how he'd do, however he produced for the Flames in the 2008-09 playoffs at close to a point per game. Small sample size, but encouraging.

So what do you think?

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:18 PM
  #2
Marky9er
Registered User
 
Marky9er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Dominica
Posts: 5,366
vCash: 500
I could see him on the hawks shortly.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:27 PM
  #3
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Bertuzzi Datsyuk Mursak (Holmstrom)
Flip Zetterberg Hudler
Cleary Jokinen Franzen
Miller Helm Abdelkader

Someone beat those lines...

Don't think of this as top 6 and bottom 6.
Think of this as top 9 plus an energy line.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:45 PM
  #4
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,781
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Bertuzzi Datsyuk Mursak (Holmstrom)
Flip Zetterberg Hudler
Cleary Jokinen Franzen
Miller Helm Abdelkader

Someone beat those lines...

Don't think of this as top 6 and bottom 6.
Think of this as top 9 plus an energy line.
Captain Bob this is a broken record, in reality Franzen is not dropping to the third line. No matter how many different ways you think to do this it isn't going to happen.

On Jokinen I have never really liked him all that much, but it has struck me that he has made big strides as a two way forward and takes the big draws for the Flames this year. We need a second draw guy, however I am more interested in Nielsen he is a better fit for what we need in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:51 PM
  #5
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 11,637
vCash: 500
I guess it would be a good move for depth in the playoffs. That would push the third line down the 4th line and we'd have a scoring third line (although I don't see Franzen being on the third line).

Jokinen just seems so un-clutch though.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:54 PM
  #6
Smoky
Registered User
 
Smoky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ontario,Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Drop Hudler to the third line

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:56 PM
  #7
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post

Jokinen just seems so un-clutch though.
He's un-clutch at the shootout which fortunately isn't part of the playoffs. I've never been a huge fan but I think he's a guy who might be able to be had for a price Ken Holland wouldn't find excessive.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:59 PM
  #8
DRWCountryClub
Registered User
 
DRWCountryClub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Why not that other more physical Fin?

Jokinen... Please no.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:55 PM
  #9
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.
 
redwings85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: America's Hat.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,958
vCash: 500
yeah Jokinen ain't becoming a red wing...

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:27 PM
  #10
SirKillalot
Registered User
 
SirKillalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,759
vCash: 390
I can't really see this happening or him fitting in, but it might end up being surprising good thing if he ends up here. Don't really know what assets who should go though.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:54 PM
  #11
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Captain Bob this is a broken record, in reality Franzen is not dropping to the third line. No matter how many different ways you think to do this it isn't going to happen.

On Jokinen I have never really liked him all that much, but it has struck me that he has made big strides as a two way forward and takes the big draws for the Flames this year. We need a second draw guy, however I am more interested in Nielsen he is a better fit for what we need in my opinion.
I don't think Nielsen helps this team much. He's mediocre offensively. He's a bit smallish for a center. I don't think he's good enough to bump Helm to fourth line.

Jokinen + Franzen is a lot of size ... they aren't playmakers. They play their best when they just take the puck to the net and shoot.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:49 PM
  #12
DetBigWangs
Registered User
 
DetBigWangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,156
vCash: 500
Turkey girl + the laughing Hudlers on the same team. LOL

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:50 PM
  #13
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,879
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
I can't really see this happening or him fitting in, but it might end up being surprising good thing if he ends up here. Don't really know what assets who should go though.
A pick. Olli Jokinen would probably give us a better third line, but he's not a guy I would expect to draw a big haul from for Calgary.

The guy I want is still Saku Koivu. the guy's never won a cup, he's productive in the playoffs, and Anaheim is essentially out of it. Would love if we could haul Selanne over at the same time.

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:40 PM
  #14
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,781
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
A pick. Olli Jokinen would probably give us a better third line, but he's not a guy I would expect to draw a big haul from for Calgary.

The guy I want is still Saku Koivu. the guy's never won a cup, he's productive in the playoffs, and Anaheim is essentially out of it. Would love if we could haul Selanne over at the same time.
We are believed to be one of the few teams Selanne would be willing to waive his no trade for. Also you have to believe the Ducks would actually do right by Selanne and maybe take less to give him a chance at the cup. I don't know what it would take, but I could see both coming to Detroit. My guess is to get both at the same time though we are looking at the very least at Tatar and a pick, even if the Wings are getting a discounted deal.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:01 AM
  #15
ZetterBurger
Registered User
 
ZetterBurger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Bertuzzi Datsyuk Mursak (Holmstrom)
Flip Zetterberg Hudler
Cleary Jokinen Franzen
Miller Helm Abdelkader

Someone beat those lines...

Don't think of this as top 6 and bottom 6.
Think of this as top 9 plus an energy line.
Haha what is your beef with Johan? All I read from you is how he doesn't try and is a passenger. He is on our top line, which has played great most of the year. Jokinen probably plays with Z and Val.

Why do you have Mursak/Holmstrom on the top line? They are both 4th liners right now.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:04 AM
  #16
ZetterBurger
Registered User
 
ZetterBurger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
We are believed to be one of the few teams Selanne would be willing to waive his no trade for. Also you have to believe the Ducks would actually do right by Selanne and maybe take less to give him a chance at the cup. I don't know what it would take, but I could see both coming to Detroit. My guess is to get both at the same time though we are looking at the very least at Tatar and a pick, even if the Wings are getting a discounted deal.
Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Franzen
Selanne-Zetterberg-Filppula
Cleary-Koivu-Hudler
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller
Mursak.

I love those lines. Not only would Koivu/Selanne boost our depth but Koivu could play on that second line with Teemu and Flip, whil Z gets with Pav and Bert/Franzen. Lots of options with two very skilled and proven vets like them. I like it.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:19 AM
  #17
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Haha what is your beef with Johan? All I read from you is how he doesn't try and is a passenger. He is on our top line, which has played great most of the year. Jokinen probably plays with Z and Val.

Why do you have Mursak/Holmstrom on the top line? They are both 4th liners right now.
Whenever people talk about getting a top six forward, they do something stupid like bump Hudler or Bertuzzi to line 3 or 4.
What good does that do us?
We can have 3-point-in-12 game Bert back?
We can have Jiri-No-Show on 4th line again?
And for what? So you can have a line that, on paper, looks monstrous?

The reality is Datsyuk/Franzen aren't that good together. Franzen plays better with Flip. He plays better with Zetterberg.

So why not strengthen this team by have a go-to guy on each line?
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Franzen

If you don't like Mursak on "line 1," put cleary there instead.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:22 AM
  #18
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Franzen
Selanne-Zetterberg-Filppula
Cleary-Koivu-Hudler
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller
Mursak.

I love those lines. Not only would Koivu/Selanne boost our depth but Koivu could play on that second line with Teemu and Flip, whil Z gets with Pav and Bert/Franzen. Lots of options with two very skilled and proven vets like them. I like it.
You think we're gonna get Koivu and Selanne?
That sounds realistic to you?
Why break up the Z-Flip-Hudler line where all three guys have been productive for the last 5 weeks?
Why not just make line 3: -Cleary-Koivu-Selanne

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:12 AM
  #19
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Yeah... no.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:28 AM
  #20
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Jokinen probably plays with Z and Val.
That's my take, although Jokinen could center the third line. He'd give us plenty of versatility and improve our top 9.

Mule-Pavs-Bert
Fil-Z-Hudler
Cleary-Jokinen-Miller
Abdelkader-Helm-Mursak
Homer
Eaves
Emmerton

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:33 PM
  #21
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!
 
Lugaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Göteborg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Meh. As a last option maybe, but I'd like to think that Kenny has something better in mind.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:24 PM
  #22
Roy S
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
The reality is Datsyuk/Franzen aren't that good together. Franzen plays better with Flip. He plays better with Zetterberg.
Based on what are Datsyuk and Franzen not good together? That line has been dominant ever since they've been put together.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:23 PM
  #23
Smoky
Registered User
 
Smoky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ontario,Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
You think we're gonna get Koivu and Selanne?
That sounds realistic to you?
Why break up the Z-Flip-Hudler line where all three guys have been productive for the last 5 weeks?
Why not just make line 3: -Cleary-Koivu-Selanne
Best third line in the league?

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:49 PM
  #24
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
Based on what are Datsyuk and Franzen not good together? That line has been dominant ever since they've been put together.
Watch a game. "They" are dominant because Datsyuk is dominant.
There is no offensive zone chemistry between Franzen and Datsyuk.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:56 PM
  #25
Roy S
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Watch a game. "They" are dominant because Datsyuk is dominant.
There is no offensive zone chemistry between Franzen and Datsyuk.
I watch virtually every game. You don't break up a line that has played so well together in all 3 phases until they show signs of dropping off. Pavel-Franzen-Bert has displayed chemistry in working together in all 3 zones. Their scoring and shot rates since they have been put together reflect that.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.