HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Its begining to sink in. There may be no hockey.

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Its begining to sink in. There may be no hockey.

Do you guys think they will work this out.. or, will i be be forced to watch the freaking knicks?

Old
08-12-2004, 03:26 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather

Do you guys think they will work this out.. or, will i be be forced to watch the freaking knicks?
If it dont im **%Ked ill be stuck watching, i dont even know. Hopefully MSG will play hrtfd wolf pack games. i will shoot my slef if i have to watch basketball , well i guess i will shooot myself cause i wont watch it. cant stand that sport.

Old
08-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Ocelot

I think they will work it out before the end of the 04.05 season. My guess is Early (January) next year.

Old
08-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Fletch

Too early to tell..

they're so far apart right now and there seems to be no urgency as each is using the lockout as leverage. The players hope to get public support (and will say they're willing to work under the current CBA, but owners will lock them out) and the owners will hope the players miss the paycheck.

But again, if the Rangers had a $31 million payroll, they likely would be pretty profitable. Does that money go into Dolan's hands or the owners'? I know the answer, but it cracks me up.

Old
08-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
my mother and girlfriend both want to get me tickets to see a game for christmas...awesome!

oh wait, unless these *******s cant fix things.

Old
08-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I just don't think there will be a lockout. The NHL is not popular enough to take a hit like this AGAIN. Lets just hope the greed only last untill reality sets in that the money won't be there anymore unless they get this done. If baseball can get it done on the last day I have hope for hockey.

Old
08-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27
I just don't think there will be a lockout. The NHL is not popular enough to take a hit like this AGAIN. Lets just hope the greed only last untill reality sets in that the money won't be there anymore unless they get this done. If baseball can get it done on the last day I have hope for hockey.
i think the players take the best deal they can get in january.

Old
08-12-2004, 07:58 PM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
If it dont im **%Ked ill be stuck watching, i dont even know. Hopefully MSG will play hrtfd wolf pack games. i will shoot my slef if i have to watch basketball , well i guess i will shooot myself cause i wont watch it. cant stand that sport.
Agree

Old
08-13-2004, 12:47 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
I'm with you man, Basketball blows...They better have the AHL games broadcasted on MSG, or else this is gonna be a LONG, BORING, fall/winter....

Old
08-13-2004, 01:08 AM
Rodent

changed to a Rodent Rant:

http://hockeyrodent.com/r1030.htm

Sorry. The darn thing grew to be much longer than I anticipated and I know how folks here hate long posts. So I changed it from a post to a full article. Visit only if you have the patience for one of my long-winded rants.

Last edited by Rodent: 08-13-2004 at 01:47 AM.
Old
08-13-2004, 01:27 AM
Rodent

Sorry. The darn thing grew to be much longer than I anticipated and I know how folks here hate long posts. So I changed it from a post to a full article. Visit only if you have the patience for one of my long-winded rants.

Last edited by Rodent: 08-13-2004 at 01:47 AM.
Old
08-13-2004, 01:31 AM
Edge

That about sums it up in a nutshell.

Having said that, when the dust settles I wouldn't be suprised to see 26 teams in the NHL with 4 going away and their talent being divided via a draft that the league hopes would generate some interest.

Old
08-13-2004, 01:53 AM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
That about sums it up in a nutshell.
Nothing personal, Edge. But whenever I see your avatar, what comes to mind is a toilet bowl with eyes.

What the heck is that a picture of? I think it's the funniest avatar I've ever seen. Makes it difficult to take you seriously. I mean, like right now I am trying to keep a straight face while typing this message to you and I just cannot do it. I want to flush you to see what happens. But I cannot find a handle to click

Old
08-13-2004, 02:07 AM
Edge

LMAO, man I tell you the responses I've gotten the past month. I gotta start writing this down.

The Avatar is Pepe the Prawn he's from the Muppets, one of their newer character from the past 10 years or so.

I picked it because he's one of the few characters in any show that has ever made me laugh out loud. He's on a very short list for me.

I always liked Avatars that make you laugh even if you wanna chew that other person out. I've had that Avatar for over a year at this point and it still cracks me up.

Old
08-13-2004, 06:44 AM
dumpsathernow*

If Liffiton, Dawes, Jonasen and a few others play for Hartford I might actually prefer watching them.

Old
08-13-2004, 08:15 AM
Jackson Ranger

I've heard through the grapevine that Maloney has a trip booked in the fall for Ireland.

You can believe it or not, but I would tend to believe it.

Old
08-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent

Rodent-

Any idea why I cannot see your page from my work PC??

It's not blocked via "surf control" but just comes up as "page cannot be displayed."

I've tried anything I can think of, but do you have any suggestions?

Old
08-13-2004, 09:05 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian

1. Maybe he just doesn't like you?
2. I'm fresh out of suggestions, however, "have a beer and let the mullet flow" comes to mind quickly.

Old
08-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
1. Maybe he just doesn't like you?
2. I'm fresh out of suggestions, however, "have a beer and let the mullet flow" comes to mind quickly.
Everybody likes me, chump!

And there is a few Labbat Blue's on the horizon..

Old
08-13-2004, 10:56 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent

http://hockeyrodent.com/r1030.htm</FONT></FONT></FONT>

Very interesting but this has the same incorrect spin you had with your thinking about Queneville. He was contacted by Colorado for the first time after Sather hired Renney. Both sides confirmed the Avs called Queneville for the first time the day after.

There has not been one article that some owners are disatisfied with Bettman but Msg employee Stan Fischler wrote the players could be dissatisfied with Goodnow. Dolan and Mike McCarthy would veto anything from Fischler if it compromised the Garden's perspective.

If anything this could go the other way. If the owners bring in replacement players and break Goodnow's status quo union as football owners did. Players historically cross the line when this happens and will again if it comes to that. Goodnow could be the one in trouble and so could big market owners who spend first, lose money drive up the salary market and ask questions later. This is why we are where we are today with a boring product and high prices.

Edge, once again Cablevision did it's second quarter accounting and claimed revenue from other venue's (Met's buyout/Knicks playoffs) but not hockey, your not convincing me the Rangers are a team that is a profitable big market club.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...6966485.column

Yesterday, Cablevision reported that the Garden's adjusted operating cash flow in the second quarter was $120 million, compared to $9 million in last year's second quarter. But that was mostly due to one-time payments: the $54 million from the Mets, a reversal of a $42- million accounting liability and a $10-million payment from the share of the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats expansion fee. The rest came from the Knicks' playoff revenues and more event bookings. Ninety percent of Knicks season-ticket holders have renewed, said Steve Mills, the president and COO of MSG Sports.

In this recent article hockey is not even a bargaining chip with Time Warner, it's all about the Knicks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-190437c.html</FONT>

In cable TV battles,
Spitzer fans' only ally

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 08-13-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old
08-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Very interesting but this has the same incorrect spin you had with your thinking about Queneville. He was contacted by Colorado for the first time after Sather hired Renney. Both sides confirmed the Avs called Queneville for the first time the day after.

There has not been one article that some owners are disatisfied with Bettman but Msg employee Stan Fischler wrote the players could be dissatisfied with Goodnow. Dolan and Mike McCarthy would veto anything from Fischler if it compromised the Garden's perspective.

If anything this could go the other way. If the owners bring in replacement players and break Goodnow's status quo union as football owners did. Players historically cross the line when this happens and will again if it comes to that. Goodnow could be the one in trouble and so could big market owners who spend first, lose money drive up the salary market and ask questions later. This is why we are where we are today with a boring product and high prices.

Edge, once again Cablevision did it's second quarter accounting and claimed revenue from other venue's (Met's buyout/Knicks playoffs) but not hockey, your not convincing me the Rangers are a team that is a profitable big market club.

Yesterday, Cablevision reported that the Garden's adjusted operating cash flow in the second quarter was $120 million, compared to $9 million in last year's second quarter. But that was mostly due to one-time payments: the $54 million from the Mets, a reversal of a $42- million accounting liability and a $10-million payment from the share of the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats expansion fee. The rest came from the Knicks' playoff revenues and more event bookings. Ninety percent of Knicks season-ticket holders have renewed, said Steve Mills, the president and COO of MSG Sports.

In this recent article hockey is not even a bargaining chip with Time Warner, it's all about the Knicks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-190437c.html</FONT>

In cable TV battles,
Spitzer fans' only ally
because of labor laws in onterio and quebec the owners couldn't bring in replacement players. when the mlb owners tried to do so montreal and toronto were going to play there home games at there spring training homes. the football strike ended because of replacement players but the baseball strike DID NOT. The baseball striked was ended by a judge a day before the season was going to start.

Old
08-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Rodent-

It's not blocked via "surf control" but just comes up as "page cannot be displayed."

What browser are you using? My server is very picky when it comes to harvesters, so it tends to give pages out only to Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, etc. Anything else, it rejects.

If you wish to work with me on this, let me know and we can set up a mutual time for you to click while I'm watching the console to see what message (if any) the system responds with.

Old
08-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
As I posted in my thread on the CBA, Craig Conro'ys agent ahs told him to not to expect hocky until Jan '05, and Conroy has enrolled his children in school in Watertown.

On a positive note, he's getting $6k a month from the union to "tie him over" until the lockout ends. I hope to be up in Watertown in early September, and am arranging to meet Conroy. Maybe he'll drop a couple of insights on me, who knows.

Old
08-13-2004, 02:43 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
I'm with you man, Basketball blows...They better have the AHL games broadcasted on MSG, or else this is gonna be a LONG, BORING, fall/winter....
boring and long it will be. i need hockey, i cant function with out it in the winters. i dont go out much, work outdoors mainly i like to come home relax in my nice warm house and watch some NYR HOCKEY, if there is none that is truley gonna suck.

Old
08-13-2004, 07:00 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1

I cant read the article it has been moved and i'm not buying it from newsday.

Sorry you're not "convinced". But wasn't the original point {from god knows how long ago} that the league needs the Rangers to be successful? So what does it say about the state of the league when the Rangers are in the red themselves?

But again there are two things I'd like to point out to you with that.

The first being the keyword "Revenue" which is any money coming, not "profit". There is no way that NO money came in last year so i am wondering what information has been cut out.

It's very similar to the finance table you'd see in Eastside Hockey. Revenue isn't the balance.

They might not have turned a profit on the Ranger this season, but that doesn't mean they didn't get revenue from them.

Having said that, I'd also bet dollars to doughnuts that if you looked further you'd still see the Rangers did better than many teams that were actually in playoff hunt or the playoffs. Take the San Jose sharks as a perfect example. So actually this proved pretty much nothing.

Last edited by Edge: 08-13-2004 at 07:12 PM.
Closed Thread