HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HFS Top Prospect Polls: 2011 edition - #1

View Poll Results: Who is the Sharks' #1 prospect?
J.P. Anderson (G - Mississauga/OHL) 1 1.72%
Justin Braun (D - Worcester/AHL) 12 20.69%
Andrew Desjardins (C - Worcester/AHL) 1 1.72%
Taylor Doherty (D - Kingston/OHL) 18 31.03%
Thomas Greiss (G - Worcester/AHL) 0 0%
Freddie Hamilton (C/W - Niagra/OHL) 2 3.45%
Matt Nieto (LW - Boston Univ./NCAA) 1 1.72%
Nick Petrecki (D - Worcester/AHL) 1 1.72%
Harri Sateri (G - Worcester/AHL) 7 12.07%
Michael Sgarbossa (C - Sudbury/OHL) 0 0%
Alex Stalock (G - Worcester/AHL) 12 20.69%
Marek Viedensky (C - Saskatoon/WHL) 3 5.17%
Tommy Wingels (C/W - Worcester/AHL) 0 0%
William Wrenn (D - Portland/WHL) 0 0%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-27-2011, 08:35 PM
SJSharks2010

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
"Unlikely to make the NHL" is writing someone off.

And how exactly can a player be "unlikely to make the NHL" but still have "a high ceiling"?
I'm going to repeat it one more time for you.

Doherty has size, strength, and something rare for a defenceman his size, an offensive game. BUT his defence is not very good at all, not even close to NHL calibre. If he can put his defence together and hold onto the rest of his offensive game he could possibly be a first pairing defenceman. If not he's absolutely useless.

As of now he hasn't shown me he can play NHL defence. But if he does he's gonne be a great player.

So once again, boom or bust prospect. Not that complicated.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:50 PM

You voted as the #1 prospect a guy you said is "unlikely to make the NHL".

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:56 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Voted for Braun.

Add Mashinter.

VP and GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:28 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
I think he's wrong, but we have that type of prospect pool...

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
I'm not considering Braun/Desjardins and we have a terrible prospect pool. He has the highest ceiling out of everyone and nobody in our system is highly likely to make it. Keep laughing though.

Old
08-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
I'm not considering Braun/Desjardins and we have a terrible prospect pool. He has the highest ceiling out of everyone and nobody in our system is highly likely to make it. Keep laughing though.
Why is Braun not a prospect? Especially for the purposes of this poll which specifically includes him. And for good reason I might add.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Why would you not include a 2nd year pro? How is Justin Braun not a prospect?

Old
08-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
I'm curious how many people have ever watched more than 2-3 of these players play in more than a few Youtube highlight videos? I mean are rankings based on name recognition for most people? Not being snarky, just curious if some of you have means of watching various minor league systems here and there.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:22 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
I'm curious how many people have ever watched more than 2-3 of these players play in more than a few Youtube highlight videos? I mean are rankings based on name recognition for most people? Not being snarky, just curious if some of you have means of watching various minor league systems here and there.
This is mostly true, though personally I couple that with stats, and listening to people who have seen them and whom I trust their judgment (210, speed, Max when he's around) etc.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:24 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Why is Braun not a prospect? Especially for the purposes of this poll which specifically includes him. And for good reason I might add.
Braun's played 28 games in the NHL. He doesn't even qualify has an NHL rookie anymore.

Old
08-27-2011, 10:25 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
I've seen lots of Doherty, being a CHL fan. Haven't seen much of the others aside fro ma few, just going off what I've read for them.

Old
08-27-2011, 10:25 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:

I guess one of the advantages of being in Canada is that I get to watch a decent # of CHL games on TV. I've actually been able to see every CHL prospect on that top 14 list at least twice.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 7 GP, 1-4-2 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:26 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I guess one of the advantages of being in Canada is that I get to watch a decent # of CHL games on TV. I've actually been able to see every CHL prospect on that top 14 list at least twice.

and to SJSHarks2010 calling Braun "not a prospect" How do you figure? He's only like 3 games beyond being a Calder candidate next season. He's still only entering his 3rd year of pro hockey, and he's almost assuredly not an NHL regular next season barring at least two catastrophic injuries. Plus he's only (I think) 23. How does that make him not a prospect?
When I think of a prospect I think of guys who haven't played a signifigant amount of games. I guess that's just me.

Old
08-27-2011, 10:35 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
When I think of a prospect I think of guys who haven't played a signifigant amount of games. I guess that's just me.
28 games isn't even half a season. It's barely a quarter of a season. that's not significant. Do those 3 extra games he played past his calder eligibility really make that big of a difference?

Especially when you consider that

-2 of his 28 games had him on the ice for less than 5 minutes
-3 more he was on for less than 15 minutes

So for 5 of his 28 games he played less than a quarter of the game. I imagine much of that would have been on the PP as well. And 2 of those games he would've had the equivalent of 2, maybe 3 shifts total before being stapled to the bench.

Since you seem to be adhering to the letter of NHL calder eligibility to determine rookie/prospect, I fail to see how that marginal additional amount of play time that Braun had that disqualifies him from being a rookie makes a significant impact over, say, Logan Couture, who scraped by in Calder eligibility and was a rookie last year (and was graduated off my list last year in part because he was pencilled in for regular duty for the 10-11 season)

Old
08-27-2011, 11:11 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

doherty is at worst a #5-6 in the nhl, theres no doubt hes goin to the show. when is another story. he could be a myers type, he could also be a petrecki and have everyone bag on him for not being good yet.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:23 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr4ed2384 View Post
in HF a 7 is not a tweener -- it is a "Second line forward / No. 3-4 defenseman / journeyman No. 1 goaltender"

in HF 6 is " - Third line forward / No. 5-6 defenseman / Backup Goaltender

in HF 5 is " Fourth line forward / No. 7 defenseman / depth goaltender"
You caught my adjustment.

You are quoting what they have published. When I look at what players with those numbers actually do, my description is more in line. Rarely is there a player in the 5's who even makes it unless he is purely an enforcer. 6.5's rarely even make the third line. This is the area, 6-7, of the rankings where I tend to see the most inflated projections.

Generally, I need to see a 7.5 to see any chance of regular second line service.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Kitten Mittons

Man, the last couple of years we had 60-80 votes. What happened now?

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Man, the last couple of years we had 60-80 votes. What happened now?
The prospect pool is pretty depressing. The Sharks better win the cup soon because they don't exactly have studs coming up the pipeline.

Negatively Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Vaasa

Voted: Sateri

Add: Daniil Sobchenko

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 01:52 AM
Janney

Quote:
I think a great majority of the people, including myself, just go by what they hear or read about these guys (articles, hfboards, interviews, etc). Even if some people did catch a few games here and there, you can't exactly make a full assessment from a small sample size (though it obviously is better than not watching them at all).

Even if some people are voting on name recognition, I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's not as if we're compiling a list to hand over to Doug Wilson or anything. Not to mention that the name recognition had to have come from somewhere, and chances are it came from discussions folks have on these boards.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 02:03 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
The prospect pool is pretty depressing. The Sharks better win the cup soon because they don't exactly have studs coming up the pipeline.
That's because a lot of the good pieces are already on the team. Couture, Demers, and Vlasic are all 24 and under and in other circumstances might have still found themselves in a prospect pool. Never mind that you've still got Clowe, Pavelski, Burns, McGinn, McCarthy, Ferriero, and Niemi all on the happy side of 30 (plus the guys in this poll's list). Granted that only really gets you half a d-corps, 3 top-6 forwards and a bunch of grinders, but it's a start. There are lots of teams that would probably be gutted far worse than the Sharks if there were some sort of genetically-engineered plague that wiped out everyone 30+.

The team won't be as screwed as people think if the team doesn't win. Honestly, I could see them going the Flyers route in a couple of years of things don't work out. Sell off the older pieces to another team that needs experience, get some youth and picks back, and gradually integrate them into a new lineup thath as Couture/Clowe/Pavs/Burns/Demers/Vlasic as it's core. Plus it would create more salary flexibility in such an instance to free the team up to re-stock skill or depth as they see fit.

But that's not really the discussion for this thread.

Also I did just realize that I screwed up a tiny bit. James Sheppard should've appeard on the ineligible list due to GP (he's only 23, but he's played over 200 NHL games). that's no big deal though. The one that is a bit of a potential impact is that Matt Pelech should appear on the list of potential poll additions. He's also 23 and he only has 5 career gp.

Old
08-28-2011, 02:11 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Most of the people around here can't assess the talent they see every game much less our prospects

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 02:13 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Most of the people around here can't assess the talent they see every game much less our prospects
I agree. Calling Semenov a pylon was preposterous. I am really sick of the immaturity on this board.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Braun's played 28 games in the NHL. He doesn't even qualify has an NHL rookie anymore.

Old
08-28-2011, 06:32 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Man that's not a good looking list.

Unless the Sharks deal their #1 next year at the deadline, I would hope they trade down to get some depth in the system.