HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Johansen Expectations

Old
10-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Byrral

vCash: 500
I was going to wait until the nine games are up but I have no need now. I have seen enough and RyJo should be sent back to juniors.

This has less to do with RyJo's actual play and is more about the state of the current team and the sinking ship on Nationwide Blvd.

My first comment in this thread was that my expectations were for him to make the team, nothing more. If he did that the rest would take care of itself. He could make this team now but it would almost be by default. And why waste a year of his contract to be on this stink of a team. If we were heading somewhere he would have been a valuable asset to have. Now it means nothing.

He did a lot of good things but he needs to work on his conditioning, getting stronger, growing into his body more. He be will a very good player for us for years to come.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
I was going to wait until the nine games are up but I have no need now. I have seen enough and RyJo should be sent back to juniors.

This has less to do with RyJo's actual play and is more about the state of the current team and the sinking ship on Nationwide Blvd.

My first comment in this thread was that my expectations were for him to make the team, nothing more. If he did that the rest would take care of itself. He could make this team now but it would almost be by default. And why waste a year of his contract to be on this stink of a team. If we were heading somewhere he would have been a valuable asset to have. Now it means nothing.

He did a lot of good things but he needs to work on his conditioning, getting stronger, growing into his body more. He be will a very good player for us for years to come.
Yes, with Carter likely coming back soon, we have more than enough centers and we don't want this kid getting comfortable with losing. He can go back to being a leader in Juniors (including the World Championships) and getting used to being a game-changer again. Work hard, get stronger, get familiar with scoring on a near-nightly basis again, and we'll see you next year in training camp RyJo.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Bobcat110

I vote stays. Vermette has 128:15 more ice time YTD and 0 goals, only 1 more point, and +/- difference of -3.

(Mackenzie a +5 on this 2-9-1 team is impressive):

Vermette 12GP 0G 5A 5P -2 19:30TOI

Johansen 9GP 2G 2A 4P +1 11:46TOI

Mackenzie 12GP 2G 1A 3P +5 9:48TOI

Carter 5GP 0G 3A 3P +1 19:56TOI

Brassard 12GP 2G 1A 3P -8 14:30TOI

Pahlsson 12GP 0G 2A 2P -1 14:00TOI

Bass 7GP 0G 1A 1P +1 9:46TOI

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

I don't want to see a year of his ELC burned on a year that is already toast. If he was going to contribute on a team that had the potential to make the playoffs, I'd be more open to the idea of him staying.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:32 AM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
I don't want to see a year of his ELC burned on a year that is already toast. If he was going to contribute on a team that had the potential to make the playoffs, I'd be more open to the idea of him staying.
I dont agree, we need to do what is best for Johans development. If he belongs, it does no good to play in the juniors, and risk injury.Say he sticks this year, and really comes on towards the second half. Next year we have a stronger team because Johan has elite talent, plus some experience. He plays juniors this year, then next year, once again, we have a rookie learning the game, and the rigors of the Nhl. Right now he is playing in the top 6, and looks to be one of our best players, so how does it benefit him, and the jackets, just to save a year on his contract. Plus, if management has the attitude that this season is over already, they should all be canned.

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:51 AM
CavsandJax21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clitter on the point View Post
I dont agree, we need to do what is best for Johans development. If he belongs, it does no good to play in the juniors, and risk injury.Say he sticks this year, and really comes on towards the second half. Next year we have a stronger team because Johan has elite talent, plus some experience. He plays juniors this year, then next year, once again, we have a rookie learning the game, and the rigors of the Nhl. Right now he is playing in the top 6, and looks to be one of our best players, so how does it benefit him, and the jackets, just to save a year on his contract. Plus, if management has the attitude that this season is over already, they should all be canned.
Agree with this. Just because the team's not doing well doesn't mean you punish the kid by sending him down just because they are bad. He's showing flashes of being the best offensive-minded player they've drafted since Rick Nash, hopefully he doesn't develop his laziness, but that's another story.
Let the kid play.

And on another note, I'm excited to see John Moore start strong up here. 20+ minutes TOI and a +1 is not bad. If he can become another Wiz without the nastiness, then we might finally have something on the back end. But can we please send Johnson back down? Him and Russell together make me want Backman and Commodore back.

CavsandJax21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
#1 - If Johan gets injured, I'd rather it be in juniors and his ELC is still fresh vs. getting injured at the NHL level and having a year of his ELC burned up while he's on IR. I would rather Ryan learn the rigors of the NHL during a season that actually matters vs. learning from a bunch of guys simply playing out the string for months on end.

#2 - Let's be real; this team has practically zero chance of making the playoffs. If 97 points was the cutoff point, like it was last year, then the Jackets will have to play at a 46-24 pace the rest of the way. I don't think that the team as it is currently structured is capable of that level of play, especially in the WC.

#3 - Regardless of the attitude of management, they should all be canned.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i'm still trying to figure out how he got that puck b/t ellis and the post last night...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:19 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
#1 - If Johan gets injured, I'd rather it be in juniors and his ELC is still fresh vs. getting injured at the NHL level and having a year of his ELC burned up while he's on IR. I would rather Ryan learn the rigors of the NHL during a season that actually matters vs. learning from a bunch of guys simply playing out the string for months on end.

#2 - Let's be real; this team has practically zero chance of making the playoffs. If 97 points was the cutoff point, like it was last year, then the Jackets will have to play at a 46-24 pace the rest of the way. I don't think that the team as it is currently structured is capable of that level of play, especially in the WC.

#3 - Regardless of the attitude of management, they should all be canned.
I wouldnt say this team has zero chance. This team has alot of firepower that hasn't come through yet. Wizniewski is just getting warmed up, Carter(1C) is gone and most of the core players haven't even played that well. Its been shown that if Johansen can get the puck, he is dangerous on the ice. That is a big if right now though. I'd be terribly pissed if they didn't let him stick around.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Bobcat110

Quote:
I agree....He'll learn far more and develop far more now here than in Juniors. Get the learning curve out of the way and start developing the chemistry this year regardless of what happens with the team. Juniors does nothing at this point for him other than save a year on his contract/UFA.

Additionally, Howson/Arniel's leashes are so tight that they are barely looking past the next game, much less worrying about Johansen's UFA status will be 7 years from now.

Plus, there's the fun fact that the CBJ are undefeated this season when he scores and winless win he doesn't.

Last edited by Bobcat110: 10-31-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Johansen was never projected to be a big contributor to this team until 2 or so years from now. I say let him stick around and gain valuable playing time and experience in an environment where it doesn't matter if we win/lose. Same goes for Moore and Savard.

Additionally, keeping Johansen on the team makes certain players (Brassard ) expendable. On an all-healthy roster I'd project the team as:

Prospal - Carter - Nash
Umberger - Johansen - Vermette
Huselius - Mackenzie / Brassard - Calvert
Dorsett - Pahlsson - Boll
Mayorov

Tyutin - Wisniewski
Methot - Martinek (doubtful)
Moore - Clitsome
Russell

Mason
Dekanich

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Big Pappy

He deserves to be on this team talent wise. Another year in Portland does less development wise for him than a year in Columbus. Let him play...turn him loose. He's a smart kid with great hockey sense that will learn more with every game he plays.

Big Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:52 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pappy View Post
He deserves to be on this team talent wise. Another year in Portland does less development wise for him than a year in Columbus. Let him play...turn him loose. He's a smart kid with great hockey sense that will learn more with every game he plays.
I agree. He should stay with Columbus.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:22 PM
MapleJ

atkinson johansen calvert; should be the 2nd line

MapleJ is offline   Reply With Quote