HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Johansen Expectations

Old
09-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
OH NO - it looks like he's at...... a BURGER JOINT!!!!
looks like rise and dine to me...or whatever its called now...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Pliff

A quick question

Hey guys,

Sorry to bother you on your own forum but I figured you'd be the best people to answer my questions. I'm not that familiar with your depth chart so I figured I'd just ask.

1) What chance (%) do you guys think Ryan Johansen has of playing a full season with the BlueJackets?

2) Do you think he has a shot at centering Nash if he makes the team and plays well?

3) If he makes the team, what kind of numbers do you think he'll be able to put up in his rookie season?

The reason I ask is that I'm kind of high on the kid and think he will be a very good NHL player and I'm thinking of picking him up in my pool this year. With a cap hit of just under 2 millions, I'm wondering if it could be a possible steal?

Thanks

Pliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=975710

This may help.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliff View Post
Hey guys,

Sorry to bother you on your own forum but I figured you'd be the best people to answer my questions. I'm not that familiar with your depth chart so I figured I'd just ask.

1) What chance (%) do you guys think Ryan Johansen has of playing a full season with the BlueJackets?

2) Do you think he has a shot at centering Nash if he makes the team and plays well?

3) If he makes the team, what kind of numbers do you think he'll be able to put up in his rookie season?

The reason I ask is that I'm kind of high on the kid and think he will be a very good NHL player and I'm thinking of picking him up in my pool this year. With a cap hit of just under 2 millions, I'm wondering if it could be a possible steal?

Thanks
1. 50/50. It will all depend on whether or not he can play in a top 6 roll this year, IMO ... which answers question #2:

2. If Johansen makes the team, he will have to be contributing offensively, which means there's a good chance he will see time alongside some of our better offensive players, including Nash.

3. If he makes the team, the sky is the limit. I've seen him play enough to know what he's capable of doing offensively, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he wins the Calder trophy. How many points would it take to win the Calder this year? Who knows, but my guess would be in the 60-70 point range.

Again, that all hinges on the 50/50 possibility that he makes the team.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Pliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Thanks man, it definitely answered some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
1. 50/50. It will all depend on whether or not he can play in a top 6 roll this year, IMO ... which answers question #2:

2. If Johansen makes the team, he will have to be contributing offensively, which means there's a good chance he will see time alongside some of our better offensive players, including Nash.

3. If he makes the team, the sky is the limit. I've seen him play enough to know what he's capable of doing offensively, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he wins the Calder trophy. How many points would it take to win the Calder this year? Who knows, but my guess would be in the 60-70 point range.

Again, that all hinges on the 50/50 possibility that he makes the team.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much my friend.

Now I ask you this: Would you pick him up in a pool this year at 1.9 mil? (not a keepers league)

Thanks again boys

Pliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliff View Post
Thanks man, it definitely answered some questions.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much my friend.

Now I ask you this: Would you pick him up in a pool this year at 1.9 mil? (not a keepers league)

Thanks again boys
Not in a keeper league?

Depends - what are some of the other guys who are getting that amount?

Old
09-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

What are the chances that he centers Nash and Carter?

09-11-2011, 05:36 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Ryan Johansen is probably the story I'm most interested in, apart from the ones that have to do with the Oilers.

As much as I've seen him in the last two years, I think he will make the team and will be centering Nash by December. I'm that confident that he's ready and that the fit is right.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

I agree that Johansen will be one of the most intriguing story lines of camp this year.

I would love to see him earn a spot on the team this year, but my instincts tell me he'll be back in the WHL again after perhaps a 9-game tryout. Hope my instincts are wrong.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

The only thing that's important to me is that he's developed properly. If he's ready, he'll be on the roster ... if they feel he needs work in certain areas, he'll be back in junior. It will mostly depend on what kind of work he's done in the offseason, IMO.

Old
09-11-2011, 10:00 AM
BluejacketNut

Lets just hope our bottom part of the lineup is good enough to push him back the juniors. If he can take his time and develop more, it will be great to have him in the future

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Doug19

There is no standard that says Johansen has to play X amount of years in junior hockey. Why hope that the bottom six pushes him back to juniors? Why not hope that he worked hard enough, and developed enough in the past year to deserve a top 9 role in the NHL? This preconceived notion that his career will be better off if he spends another year in the juniors is ludicrous.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:18 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
There is no standard that says Johansen has to play X amount of years in junior hockey. Why hope that the bottom six pushes him back to juniors? Why not hope that he worked hard enough, and developed enough in the past year to deserve a top 9 role in the NHL? This preconceived notion that his career will be better off if he spends another year in the juniors is ludicrous.
IMO it's just a reasonable over-reaction to the past. In the past, many players were just awarded a spot on the roster no matter whether they were ready or not. I think this hurt a number of players' development. We all know the list.

What I hope is that if Johansen is good enough to earn a roster spot that he will get it. If he is marginal or not good enough, I hope he goes back to Portland.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
IMO it's just a reasonable over-reaction to the past. In the past, many players were just awarded a spot on the roster no matter whether they were ready or not. I think this hurt a number of players' development. We all know the list.

What I hope is that if Johansen is good enough to earn a roster spot that he will get it. If he is marginal or not good enough, I hope he goes back to Portland.
This...

Our current coaching staff is good enough to know whether or not Johansen is ready or not. He won't be rushed in to a roster spot.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:48 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
IMO it's just a over-reaction to the past. In the past, many players were just awarded a spot on the roster no matter whether they were ready or not. I think this hurt a number of players' development. We all know the list.

FTFY

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:45 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
What are the chances that he centers Nash and Carter?
On the PP maybe. Without injury or a complete flop in the standings, almost zero 5 on 5. I have no idea why one of our own even is suggesting top line duty in the West in his first year.

That's not to say, if he makes the team, he won't see some spot duty. But anything regular without some major injuries?

That would take Johansen playing at a level unheard of around here or some insanity from our head coach.

We just got our "top line center". Why would we rush a kid (and not start Carter at center) when Arniel said Johansen would play center if he makes the team?

We've got some craziness forming....

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:49 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilliardsw55 View Post
This...

Our current coaching staff is good enough to know whether or not Johansen is ready or not. He won't be rushed in to a roster spot.
Let's get some history with our coaching staff before we make some claims on their abilities. Not too mention, Howson is in control of the roster.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Perhaps the implication is if the bottom six is really strong the organ-eye-zation will be faced with the tough decision on whether to send a talented kid back to juniors.

Old
09-12-2011, 02:43 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I do not have any expectations. I only believe his development will be right.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Let's get some history with our coaching staff before we make some claims on their abilities. Not too mention, Howson is in control of the roster.
True. I guess I'm just optimistic about it.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

I expect him to start the year in juniors.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
I expect him to start the year in juniors.
If he starts the year in juniors he stays the year in juniors, and I don't see that happening.

Playing and practicing everyday with and against Nash, Carter, RJ, Vermette, Brassard and the rest will help him develop a lot more that spending another year vs juniors. Also think that the team would want to keep an eye on his physical development, diet and weight training.

Johansen makes the team and plays limited minutes at first then more as he can handle it.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
If he starts the year in juniors he stays the year in juniors, and I don't see that happening.

Playing and practicing everyday with and against Nash, Carter, RJ, Vermette, Brassard and the rest will help him develop a lot more that spending another year vs juniors. Also think that the team would want to keep an eye on his physical development, diet and weight training.

Johansen makes the team and plays limited minutes at first then more as he can handle it.
Same thing was said about Brule, except it was with Nash and other players.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 01:39 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Same thing was said about Brule, except it was with Nash and other players.
... and Feller pitched in the Bigs at 17 and C.C. was almost 21 when he debuted. So what?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
... and Feller pitched in the Bigs at 17 and C.C. was almost 21 when he debuted. So what?
The expectations for RyJo are soaring, let's be reality, he's a 19 year old kid who will be lucky to score 20-30 points if he plays a full season in the NHL.
He ain't ready yet. The hype is getting ridiculous around here. You guys (everyone, not you Pete) do it for every rookie we get.
He should be in Juniors for another year, and maybe some AHL time the year after. (And I don't really care if he's "too good" for Juniors, Brayden Schenn is better and played an extra year)

Last edited by Timeless Winter: 09-17-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote