HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Johansen Expectations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-06-2011, 08:54 AM
  #26
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 15,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
OH NO - it looks like he's at...... a BURGER JOINT!!!!
looks like rise and dine to me...or whatever its called now...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:47 PM
  #27
Pliff
Registered User
 
Pliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
A quick question

Hey guys,

Sorry to bother you on your own forum but I figured you'd be the best people to answer my questions. I'm not that familiar with your depth chart so I figured I'd just ask.

1) What chance (%) do you guys think Ryan Johansen has of playing a full season with the BlueJackets?

2) Do you think he has a shot at centering Nash if he makes the team and plays well?

3) If he makes the team, what kind of numbers do you think he'll be able to put up in his rookie season?


The reason I ask is that I'm kind of high on the kid and think he will be a very good NHL player and I'm thinking of picking him up in my pool this year. With a cap hit of just under 2 millions, I'm wondering if it could be a possible steal?

Thanks

Pliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:55 PM
  #28
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Jaxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=975710

This may help.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:11 PM
  #29
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliff View Post
Hey guys,

Sorry to bother you on your own forum but I figured you'd be the best people to answer my questions. I'm not that familiar with your depth chart so I figured I'd just ask.

1) What chance (%) do you guys think Ryan Johansen has of playing a full season with the BlueJackets?

2) Do you think he has a shot at centering Nash if he makes the team and plays well?

3) If he makes the team, what kind of numbers do you think he'll be able to put up in his rookie season?


The reason I ask is that I'm kind of high on the kid and think he will be a very good NHL player and I'm thinking of picking him up in my pool this year. With a cap hit of just under 2 millions, I'm wondering if it could be a possible steal?

Thanks
1. 50/50. It will all depend on whether or not he can play in a top 6 roll this year, IMO ... which answers question #2:

2. If Johansen makes the team, he will have to be contributing offensively, which means there's a good chance he will see time alongside some of our better offensive players, including Nash.

3. If he makes the team, the sky is the limit. I've seen him play enough to know what he's capable of doing offensively, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he wins the Calder trophy. How many points would it take to win the Calder this year? Who knows, but my guess would be in the 60-70 point range.

Again, that all hinges on the 50/50 possibility that he makes the team.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:09 PM
  #30
Pliff
Registered User
 
Pliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Thanks man, it definitely answered some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
1. 50/50. It will all depend on whether or not he can play in a top 6 roll this year, IMO ... which answers question #2:

2. If Johansen makes the team, he will have to be contributing offensively, which means there's a good chance he will see time alongside some of our better offensive players, including Nash.

3. If he makes the team, the sky is the limit. I've seen him play enough to know what he's capable of doing offensively, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he wins the Calder trophy. How many points would it take to win the Calder this year? Who knows, but my guess would be in the 60-70 point range.

Again, that all hinges on the 50/50 possibility that he makes the team.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much my friend.

Now I ask you this: Would you pick him up in a pool this year at 1.9 mil? (not a keepers league)

Thanks again boys

Pliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:29 PM
  #31
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliff View Post
Thanks man, it definitely answered some questions.



This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much my friend.

Now I ask you this: Would you pick him up in a pool this year at 1.9 mil? (not a keepers league)

Thanks again boys
Not in a keeper league?

Depends - what are some of the other guys who are getting that amount?

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 03:54 AM
  #32
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Paying Off A Bet
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,093
vCash: 500
What are the chances that he centers Nash and Carter?

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:36 AM
  #33
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,221
vCash: 50
Ryan Johansen is probably the story I'm most interested in, apart from the ones that have to do with the Oilers.

As much as I've seen him in the last two years, I think he will make the team and will be centering Nash by December. I'm that confident that he's ready and that the fit is right.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:35 AM
  #34
Nanabijou
Drop the puck
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
I agree that Johansen will be one of the most intriguing story lines of camp this year.

I would love to see him earn a spot on the team this year, but my instincts tell me he'll be back in the WHL again after perhaps a 9-game tryout. Hope my instincts are wrong.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:47 AM
  #35
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
The only thing that's important to me is that he's developed properly. If he's ready, he'll be on the roster ... if they feel he needs work in certain areas, he'll be back in junior. It will mostly depend on what kind of work he's done in the offseason, IMO.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 10:00 AM
  #36
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,954
vCash: 500
Lets just hope our bottom part of the lineup is good enough to push him back the juniors. If he can take his time and develop more, it will be great to have him in the future

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:06 PM
  #37
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,152
vCash: 500
There is no standard that says Johansen has to play X amount of years in junior hockey. Why hope that the bottom six pushes him back to juniors? Why not hope that he worked hard enough, and developed enough in the past year to deserve a top 9 role in the NHL? This preconceived notion that his career will be better off if he spends another year in the juniors is ludicrous.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:18 PM
  #38
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
There is no standard that says Johansen has to play X amount of years in junior hockey. Why hope that the bottom six pushes him back to juniors? Why not hope that he worked hard enough, and developed enough in the past year to deserve a top 9 role in the NHL? This preconceived notion that his career will be better off if he spends another year in the juniors is ludicrous.
IMO it's just a reasonable over-reaction to the past. In the past, many players were just awarded a spot on the roster no matter whether they were ready or not. I think this hurt a number of players' development. We all know the list.

What I hope is that if Johansen is good enough to earn a roster spot that he will get it. If he is marginal or not good enough, I hope he goes back to Portland.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:04 PM
  #39
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!
 
Hilliardsw55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 4,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
IMO it's just a reasonable over-reaction to the past. In the past, many players were just awarded a spot on the roster no matter whether they were ready or not. I think this hurt a number of players' development. We all know the list.

What I hope is that if Johansen is good enough to earn a roster spot that he will get it. If he is marginal or not good enough, I hope he goes back to Portland.
This...

Our current coaching staff is good enough to know whether or not Johansen is ready or not. He won't be rushed in to a roster spot.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:48 PM
  #40
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ
 
joshjoshjosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Guam
Country: Eritrea
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
IMO it's just a over-reaction to the past. In the past, many players were just awarded a spot on the roster no matter whether they were ready or not. I think this hurt a number of players' development. We all know the list.

What I hope is that if Johansen is good enough to earn a roster spot that he will get it. If he is marginal or not good enough, I hope he goes back to Portland.
FTFY

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:45 AM
  #41
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
What are the chances that he centers Nash and Carter?
On the PP maybe. Without injury or a complete flop in the standings, almost zero 5 on 5. I have no idea why one of our own even is suggesting top line duty in the West in his first year.

That's not to say, if he makes the team, he won't see some spot duty. But anything regular without some major injuries?

That would take Johansen playing at a level unheard of around here or some insanity from our head coach.

We just got our "top line center". Why would we rush a kid (and not start Carter at center) when Arniel said Johansen would play center if he makes the team?

We've got some craziness forming....

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:49 AM
  #42
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilliardsw55 View Post
This...

Our current coaching staff is good enough to know whether or not Johansen is ready or not. He won't be rushed in to a roster spot.
Let's get some history with our coaching staff before we make some claims on their abilities. Not too mention, Howson is in control of the roster.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:04 AM
  #43
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
There is no standard that says Johansen has to play X amount of years in junior hockey. Why hope that the bottom six pushes him back to juniors? Why not hope that he worked hard enough, and developed enough in the past year to deserve a top 9 role in the NHL? This preconceived notion that his career will be better off if he spends another year in the juniors is ludicrous.
Perhaps the implication is if the bottom six is really strong the organ-eye-zation will be faced with the tough decision on whether to send a talented kid back to juniors.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 02:43 PM
  #44
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
I do not have any expectations. I only believe his development will be right.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
  #45
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!
 
Hilliardsw55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 4,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Let's get some history with our coaching staff before we make some claims on their abilities. Not too mention, Howson is in control of the roster.
True. I guess I'm just optimistic about it.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 12:01 AM
  #46
Friedrich
This is not my hat.
 
Friedrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salzburg
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
I expect him to start the year in juniors.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 06:27 AM
  #47
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
I expect him to start the year in juniors.
If he starts the year in juniors he stays the year in juniors, and I don't see that happening.

Playing and practicing everyday with and against Nash, Carter, RJ, Vermette, Brassard and the rest will help him develop a lot more that spending another year vs juniors. Also think that the team would want to keep an eye on his physical development, diet and weight training.

Johansen makes the team and plays limited minutes at first then more as he can handle it.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 10:50 AM
  #48
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,048
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
If he starts the year in juniors he stays the year in juniors, and I don't see that happening.

Playing and practicing everyday with and against Nash, Carter, RJ, Vermette, Brassard and the rest will help him develop a lot more that spending another year vs juniors. Also think that the team would want to keep an eye on his physical development, diet and weight training.

Johansen makes the team and plays limited minutes at first then more as he can handle it.
Same thing was said about Brule, except it was with Nash and other players.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 01:39 PM
  #49
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Same thing was said about Brule, except it was with Nash and other players.
... and Feller pitched in the Bigs at 17 and C.C. was almost 21 when he debuted. So what?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 01:58 PM
  #50
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,048
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
... and Feller pitched in the Bigs at 17 and C.C. was almost 21 when he debuted. So what?
The expectations for RyJo are soaring, let's be reality, he's a 19 year old kid who will be lucky to score 20-30 points if he plays a full season in the NHL.
He ain't ready yet. The hype is getting ridiculous around here. You guys (everyone, not you Pete) do it for every rookie we get.
He should be in Juniors for another year, and maybe some AHL time the year after. (And I don't really care if he's "too good" for Juniors, Brayden Schenn is better and played an extra year)


Last edited by Timeless Winter: 09-17-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.