HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Johansen Expectations

Old
09-26-2011, 12:40 AM
ilikeblocks

vCash: 500
The guy is better than Brassard - to not put him on the team because if a logjam at center would be silly.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I don't know. Johansen's style seems to be a little to lackadaisical for my tastes. I think he still needs to figure out that the NHL is faster paced because he has the real lazy stride and stance that reminds me to much of Nash, but I don't think Johansen has the explosive skating that Nash has to rely on that type of away from the puck style. I don't know, its hard to explain from me, but he just seems like he thinks he can slow the game down to much, which causes him to lose the puck because the NHL is fast paced compared to the WHL. We will see, but so far after two preseason games I haven't been impressed.

Edit: well I read some reviews from people actually at the game, and they saw some things that I was able to focus on, and I must admit that maybe I jumped the gun on my observation based on the fact that sometimes I didn't know if I was watching Johansen or not because of the feed quality. Hopefully they are right and I'm wrong, because I'd love to buy a #19 Johansen jersey.
Nicely worded.

I don't really want to argue your point here, but the one thing that I think should be said is that Johansen's skillset is that he's capable of slowing the game down and seeing the ice very well. This is why it seems like he's often in the right spot - he may not move at the same pace as, say, Rick Nash, but he will be just as effective in the offensive zone. I love the comparisons to Ryan Getzlaf or Joe Thornton - he's a similar type of player. It's not often you see those kind of guys moving at a high rate of speed, and that's exactly why they are effective.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:18 AM
Doug19

So it's probably more of a thing of being uncomfortable with a style I'm not used to seeing.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:30 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
So it's probably more of a thing of being uncomfortable with a style I'm not used to seeing.
Are you from Texas? I have some friends from San Antonio that say the same thing....

Last edited by Robert: 09-26-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Byrral

Figured i would see some Na, Na, Na-Na, Na posts today. Natural reaction for some when they want to beat their chests like they one upped someone. Nice going, you've humbled me. I would have rather heard their comments on some of the things RyJo has accomplished this camp besides that he scored.

Doug made some nice points. I didn't see the sarcasm sign but I thought there might be some sarcasm there. Oh well, matters not. I'll tell you what I thought of his play last night and then some of you can over react to my opinion again.

The positives:
1. Scored his second goal of the pre season. Pretty much similar to his first goal in that he smartly got into the play and the puck found its way onto his stick. He didn't miss this time either (cough* Jake * cough). Which leaves me to point 2.
2. He gets into open positions on the ice. He plays well without the puck. On three or four different occassions if someone could have got the puck to him he was wide open in A1 scoring position.
3. His two way game is exceptional for a young player. He works both ends of the ice and well. Refreshing to see.
4. He scored. Yes. He scored. Didn't miss when given the opportunity.

The not so positives:
1. Puck possession along the boards in the offensive zone. This will come over time. He has all the tools just needs to learn how to protect a little better. There were a couple of odd man rushes off his wall turnovers that created some scoring opportunities (no goals were scored). He already uses his length and reach to protect in the offensive zone. He needs to use his strength along the walls.
2. Two penalties. First one was adrenaline I'm sure. Second one was off of some big time pressure Buffalo was putting on us at that time. I don't mind the penalties when you're being aggressive but the situation could have been different if those penalties had turned into PP goals.
3. I notice he runs into his own players. It's happened in camps a few times and a couple time last night (Umberger in particular). Not a problem, more of why might this be happening.

I think we all agree the young man has a bright future. But even he wasn't so impressed with his play this off season up until last night:

Quote:
“At the start of camp I felt a little rusty,” Johansen said. “After a few days, I got used to the pace and started to get a feel. I think I’m up to speed now. I felt I took a big step in the right direction tonight.”
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ion-no.-5.html

So maybe my "less than impressive" wasn't so far off after all.

I'd also like to take into consideration a couple other things:
1. Other young players have looked good in preseaon games only to look like junior players once the season started. Jackets fans should be experts in this observation field.
2. Although RyJo played better he was still not the most impressive player on the ice last night that is trying to earn a spot on this team (see Byers, Dane). He scored again last night and nobody on this board has him penciled in for a roster spot.
3. Today, RyJo is not a better player than Brassard. He will be though.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Many thanks.

Nicely done

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:04 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Figured i would see some Na, Na, Na-Na, Na posts today. Natural reaction for some when they want to beat their chests like they one upped someone. Nice going, you've humbled me. I would have rather heard their comments on some of the things RyJo has accomplished this camp besides that he scored.

Doug made some nice points. I didn't see the sarcasm sign but I thought there might be some sarcasm there. Oh well, matters not. I'll tell you what I thought of his play last night and then some of you can over react to my opinion again.

The positives:
1. Scored his second goal of the pre season. Pretty much similar to his first goal in that he smartly got into the play and the puck found its way onto his stick. He didn't miss this time either (cough* Jake * cough). Which leaves me to point 2.
2. He gets into open positions on the Vice. He plays well without the puck. On three or four different occassions if someone could have got the puck to him he was wide open in A1 scoring position.
3. His two way game is exceptional for a young player. He works both ends of the ice and well. Refreshing to see.

The not so positives:
1. Puck possession along the boards in the offensive zone. This will come over time. He has all the tools just needs to learn how to protect a little better. There were a couple of odd man rushes off his wall turnovers that created some scoring opportunities (no goals were scored). He already uses his length and reach to protect in the offensive zone. He needs to use his strength along the walls.
2. Two penalties. First one was adrenaline I'm sure. Second one was off of some big time pressure Buffalo was putting on us at that time. I don't mind the penalties when you're being aggressive but the situation could have been different if those penalties had turned into PP goals.
3. I notice he runs into his own players. It's happened in camps a few times and a couple time last night (Umberger in particular). Not a problem, more of why might this be happening.

I think we all agree the young man has a bright future. But even he wasn't so impressed with his play this off season up until last night:

1. Other young players have looked good in preseaon games only to look like junior players once the season started. Jackets fans should be experts in this observation field.
2. Although RyJo played better he was still not the most impressive player on the ice last night that is trying to earn a spot on this team (see Byers, Dane). He scored again last night and nobody on this board has him penciled in for a roster spot.
Very interesting commentary. As to the bolded portion, might he be a better center (not player) than Brassard, right now? Seems like they're taking a look at that and I wonder if that could benefit both players. I'll admit, I've never been much of a Brassard fan - he's weak in the face-off circle, unsure about when to shoot, and has not shown me indication that he's top-line center material. Could a move to wing bring out his potential strengths as a scorer? As for RyJo, I haven't seen him, yet, so I don't know if he's an improvement over Brassard, in the middle; but I'm intrigued by the line of RJ/RyJo/Brass being sent out tonight. Worth watching, anyway!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:22 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Very interesting commentary. As to the bolded portion, might he be a better center (not player) than Brassard, right now?
It's my own issue, but I hate the word better in these conversations. Brassard is obviously more NHL ready, however I've seen parts of Johansen's game that I would classify as "better".

What do you use as criteria to define better? What skills do you weight more than others.

I've never really considered experience and polish to define which player(s) are better. They are important traits, but your ceiling is your ceiling.

At the end of the game, Johansen is showing he's probably going to have a more complete two way game. Johansen might already be better in the faceoff circle, since Brassard isn't that good at it anyway.

I don't feel I'm explaining this all that well.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
It's my own issue, but I hate the word better in these conversations. Brassard is obviously more NHL ready, however I've seen parts of Johansen's game that I would classify as "better".

I don't feel I'm explaining this all that well.
No. You're right. I should have used a different word.

Edit: I thought everyone knew where I was going with that but this is the internet.

Old
09-26-2011, 02:55 PM
blahblah

Quote:
No. You're right. I should have used a different word.

Edit: I thought everyone knew where I was going with that but this is the internet.
I'll be honest, I've mostly payed attention to the last page (since Thursday) and I didn't read through your entire large post. I skimmed and read what Pete responded with. So it's quite possible I missed a few things.

If I missed context, apologies.

However, I do not find the word better to be precise enough in most of these conversations. When I saw it, I kind of zero'd in on it. Wasn't trying to be critical, just trying to get more clarification around it.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Byrral

Quote:
I'll be honest, I've mostly payed attention to the last page (since Thursday) and I didn't read through your entire large post. I skimmed and read what Pete responded with. So it's quite possible I missed a few things.
Nah. I'm out of posting condition. The problem started without the original quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
The guy is better than Brassard - to not put him on the team because if a logjam at center would be silly.
And that's what I respoded to, the word better. Heck I even added a word....player.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:16 PM
blahblah

Sounds good, glad you are back in the mix.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:21 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Perhaps I contributed to the confusion with my post, I was trying to ask if there was a useful distinction to be drawn between "better player" and "better center." In the context of blahblah's post, it might have been more helpful to discuss whether the Jackets might better utilize their talents with Brass at wing and Johansen at center. I don't know the answer, of course, I just thought it was worth consideration, rather than simply stating that one was better than the other.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Byrral

"Better" to move on.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Sounds good, glad you are back in the mix.
Thanks.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
"Better" to move on.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:14 AM
umwoz

As an outsider here, just curious to know, is he getting the 9 games? Or going back down?

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
As an outsider here, just curious to know, is he getting the 9 games? Or going back down?
He made the team out of camp. No determination has been made beyond that.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:56 PM
shello
@WShello9

Help Columbus fans!

Columbus fans I need your help! How many points has Ryan Johnansen had in the pre season? How does he look, do you think he'll stick with the team all year? If he does who will he play with?

Thanks so much in advanced.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

I think with 2-3 minutes of research, you could have easily found this out yourself...lol

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:02 PM
St1ngr

I think he's ranged between OK and pretty good. Wouldn't say he knocked anyone's socks off, though.

He's gonna get 9 games, I think it's up to him and what he does during those 9 games that will determine if he stays. Personally I think he will probably end up going back to Jr. We have a lot of centers, and a lot of rookies in the lineup - and the team is on a mission to win now.

Hard to justify keeping him unless he's really contributing a lot. I think he would definitely go to the AHL if that was possible, unfortunately he won't be eligible for the A this year.

Not sure how many points in preseason play.

St1ngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:36 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Columbus fans I need your help! How many points has Ryan Johnansen had in the pre season? How does he look, do you think he'll stick with the team all year? If he does who will he play with?

Thanks so much in advanced.
I wish to recommend two links to you:
http://bluejacketsxtra.com
and
http://www.zinio.com/browse/issues/i...kuId=416180745

Beyond what you can find in those two places, there isn't much more we can offer.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:24 AM
TheGrinder
Rookie User

Quote:

The positives:
2. He gets into open positions on the ice. He plays well without the puck. On three or four different occassions if someone could have got the puck to him he was wide open in A1 scoring position.

The not so positives:

Nice!!!

TheGrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:25 AM
BluejacketNut

The heats about to turn up when the regular season starts, we'll see what he does against the actual NHL teams and not tryout teams

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:07 AM
jacks johnson

My bet is that the JOhan sticks with the jackets the whole season. He is light years ahead of where I thought he would be defensively, and I think that was his main focus this preseason to work on his defense, yet he still chipped in 2 more goals than Voracek had for another team. I imagine they will bring him on slowly, but who knows, its pretty telling to me that they moved Brassard to wing, when he was one of out top 2 centers last season. Plus he gives us flexibility if we need to make a trade (Brassard-Phaulson), or if we have injuries. If he were sent to juniors, he cannot be recalled. Also, I imagine the jackets are looking at what he could bring to our team later in the season (as the game slows down for him), a boost for the playoffs kinda like Seguin provided for Boston.

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote