HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Iginla for Seguin

Old
08-28-2011, 07:45 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
It depends on which is more appealing, 5 years of an elite player at the end of his career or 15 years of a very good player

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan2354 View Post
It depends on which is more appealing, 5 years of an elite player at the end of his career or 15 years of a very good player
While this is true, it doesn't really tell the whole story does it? The 5 years of the elite player is giving Boston a chance at a potential dynasty if they can keep their core in tact. Jarome is still an elite forward in the NHL and adding that and all his other intangibles to a lineup that already won the Stanley Cup would make it very hard for any other teams to defeat the Bruins.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Lord Ahriman

vCash: 500
Saying Iginla will play more 5 years as an elite player is a huge bet, IMO, 3 years is much more realistic. I would definitely not trade Seguin for Iginla.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:15 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Iginla for Seguin straight up?

I know Flames most fans are split on the idea of it. But I am curious to see what Boston's fans have to say.

Iginla is a supreme athlete like Selanne and should be able to play at a high level for another 5-6 years. I don't want to trade Iginla, but idea of dealing him for Seguin intrigues me and I would love for nothing more than to see the guy hoist the cup. Iginla should allow Boston to win the Cup at least one or two more times and I think he would instantly become their top forward.

Thoughts??
I don't buy that for a second.

If at the age of 40 Iginla is 8th in The NHL in scoring and is putting up 31-49-80 in 73 games, I will eat crow.

Selanne is the exception, far from the rule.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:02 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
Saying Iginla will play more 5 years as an elite player is a huge bet, IMO, 3 years is much more realistic. I would definitely not trade Seguin for Iginla.
That's why I said at the end of his career. It's hard to know. It's still very likely though that Iggy will be better the next couple years than Seguin ever will be, and that's got to be appealing to Boston.

Old
08-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Halpysback

And what's the failsafe if Iginla starts declining a year or two from now and doesn't last until his mid 40's? A first rounder to Boston every year Iginla doesn't have a 35-35 season?

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
This thought process doesn't make sense. You just won, and now you are ambivalent about winning again?

This would be a great trade for everybody. Boston gets one of the most respected and skilled players in the league. Iginla gets a very good shot at the cup. Calgary gets a long term center who would stay with the team for a long time.

I know Calgary fans insist on the team not rebuilding, but I think that it is a good step in the right direction. I don't see them as strong contenders in the next couple years; so this is great value for Iginla.
Yeah....you completely missed the point. Does Boston have pretty similar roster compared to their cup winning roster? It's not like they lost several great players to free agency. Their core is still there and that core won them the cup. Why would they trade a young and up coming star player whose only going to improve for a player that's older and will eventually stop playing to the best of his abilities in 2-3 years. Boston just won the cup with the core they have, they don't need Iginla to win the cup again. Boston will be a competitive team for a long time thanks to Toronto giving them Seguin, Hamilton and Rask (in the Raycroft trade). Why would Boston sacrifice a team that is going to be competitive for the next 5-10 years for just 2-3 good years of Iginla? Sure Iginla would push Boston over the top but if it's going to cost them Seguin, they wouldn't do it. It's not that they won and now it's over. It's about being competitive and trying to win.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:52 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
Yeah....you completely missed the point. Does Boston have pretty similar roster compared to their cup winning roster? It's not like they lost several great players to free agency. Their core is still there and that core won them the cup. Why would they trade a young and up coming star player whose only going to improve for a player that's older and will eventually stop playing to the best of his abilities in 2-3 years. Boston just won the cup with the core they have, they don't need Iginla to win the cup again. Boston will be a competitive team for a long time thanks to Toronto giving them Seguin, Hamilton and Rask (in the Raycroft trade). Why would Boston sacrifice a team that is going to be competitive for the next 5-10 years for just 2-3 good years of Iginla? Sure Iginla would push Boston over the top but if it's going to cost them Seguin, they wouldn't do it. It's not that they won and now it's over. It's about being competitive and trying to win.
Would you rather win another cup in one of the net couple years and continue being a good, but not great team or nearly win a couple but always lose?(I'm not saying Boston can't win another or anything. It's obviously exaggerated to make a point) Chances are, most people would rather see another cup than a bit better hockey in 5 years

Old
08-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Would you rather win another cup in one of the net couple years and continue being a good, but not great team or nearly win a couple but always lose?(I'm not saying Boston can't win another or anything. It's obviously exaggerated to make a point) Chances are, most people would rather see another cup than a bit better hockey in 5 years
So Iginla comes with a signed cup guarantee? Because he sure as hell comes with a "significantly worse than Seguin in 5 years and onward barring Seguin getting crippled" guarantee.

Old
08-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

I love Iggy, I'd love to see him on the Bs. But not for Seguin.

I don't think Calgary will trade their unofficial mayor too

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Would Oilers like to enter playoffs for next five years, led by Iginla, with that possibility of winning the Cup and the return to the glory days? Iginla to Edmonton, Taylor Hall off to Calgary, and everyone walks away satisfied.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:27 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
And what's the failsafe if Iginla starts declining a year or two from now and doesn't last until his mid 40's? A first rounder to Boston every year Iginla doesn't have a 35-35 season?
LOL, only if every trade in the NHL had a so called "failsafe".

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
LOL, only if every trade in the NHL had a so called "failsafe".
So then what's Boston's incentive to make themselves slightly better now (at astromonical cap space cost to boot, which would probably require shedding cap in the way of some other useful player, while hoping that Iginla fits into their system and doesn't lose another half-step) and by all likelihood far crappier in the near future and onward?

Old
08-28-2011, 10:33 PM
HoshiBlitz

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
Would Oilers like to enter playoffs for next five years, led by Iginla, with that possibility of winning the Cup and the return to the glory days? Iginla to Edmonton, Taylor Hall off to Calgary, and everyone walks away satisfied.
The difference is Boston has just come off a championship and are not in the final process of rebuilding like Edmonton is. IMO that is a horrible comparison for you to pull out. Even with the same roster (for the most part), Boston has still got to be one of the favorites going into this year. Though, other big contenders in the East have gotten better and have added pieces that would make a repeat harder for Boston (ie: Vokoun/Ward to Caps, Richards to Rangers). Even the team that Boston beat in the Finals took steps to become a lot better and at this point I would take their current roster over Boston's if they were to meet again. Adding Iginla WOULD put them back on top, it's not like Boston doesn't have any young pieces moving forward. A 1-2 punch of Krejci and Bergeron is quite nice.

HoshiBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:38 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Why the heck would Flames fans be split on this? It's a no-brainer, insta-accept for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Iginla is the better player just now without a doubt. Boston JUST won the cup so Iginla isn't as required by the Bruins as he would be if they had lost to Vancouver.

Seguin is younger and my or not be a star but I doubt Boston would do this... even cap issues aside.
So if Boston had lost in the finals this trade all of a sudden makes sense, even though they'd have the exact same team?

Quote:
Boston is good enough to win without mortgaging their future (obviously, as they just won).

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Pass.

Love Iginla but he doesn't come with a guaranteed Cup. You can't even guarantee that he'd resign in a year when his deal's up.

08-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoshiBlitz View Post
The difference is Boston has just come off a championship and are not in the final process of rebuilding like Edmonton is. IMO that is a horrible comparison for you to pull out. Even with the same roster (for the most part), Boston has still got to be one of the favorites going into this year. Though, other big contenders in the East have gotten better and have added pieces that would make a repeat harder for Boston (ie: Vokoun/Ward to Caps, Richards to Rangers). Even the team that Boston beat in the Finals took steps to become a lot better and at this point I would take their current roster over Boston's if they were to meet again. Adding Iginla WOULD put them back on top, it's not like Boston doesn't have any young pieces moving forward. A 1-2 punch of Krejci and Bergeron is quite nice.
Krejci and Bergeron both have injury and concussion histories, and don't represent a solid future at Center, 1-2. Seguin is the future #1 center, and along with Hamilton on D, there is a good chance Boston wins another Cup in the near future based on a team built around those two. Boston is in process of replacing older players with youth, and they are still defending champion until proven otherwise. Glad to hear you acknowledge that Boston won a championship, and managed to pull it off without Iginla.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoshiBlitz View Post
You'd have to be very desperate to win an argument to try to pass off the claim that this year's Vancouver is better than last year's as something other than a joke. What, did signing Boston's castaway to be Kesler's prized LW vault them into championship territory unseen before? Is replacing Ehrhoff with more time from their bottom pairing gonna improve their defense? Is having half the players on their roster come into the season recovering from torn groins, broken fingers, ruptured corneas (won't even go into what Hamhius went through) and arguably a greater number serious injuries than any other team in the league somehow going to help them out?

Old
08-28-2011, 11:02 PM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
haha no way Boston does this

Why trade a great young player for a much older one?
Jarome is a great player but probably wont be for much longer.
6 years isnt much longer? at Iggy's talent level he could be the driving force for the Bruins to win another 2-3 cups

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
6 years isnt much longer? at Iggy's talent level he could be the driving force for the Bruins to win another 2-3 cups
And Seguin "could" be the driving force for the Bruins to win 5-6 cups over the next 20 years.

Old
08-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Deen

I think Iginla for Evander Kane would be fair.

Deen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:17 PM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
I don't buy that for a second.

If at the age of 40 Iginla is 8th in The NHL in scoring and is putting up 31-49-80 in 73 games, I will eat crow.

Selanne is the exception, far from the rule.
Iginla is a better player then Selanne, he will end his career with more goals, more assists and more points.

Selanne has 6 years on Iginla and Iggy is only 300 points back. With Iggy getting 40 goals on a line with Tanguay and Langkow, you can be sure he would kill it with Kreci/Bergeron and Lucic

40 goals, 70 points and now signs of slowing down.. this regressing theory is one large assumption based on the average NHler. Jarome isnt the average NHLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
And Seguin "could" be the driving force for the Bruins to win 5-6 cups over the next 20 years.
Why wouldnt you take advantage of an elite player when you know you have the contending team to support him? You know Iginla would be playing with top level players and havea legitimate shot at taking more runs to the cup.

Seguin could very well be a top end player, but in 5 years from now who knows what the team around him could look like.

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:25 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Iginla is a better player then Selanne, he will end his career with more goals, more assists and more points.

Selanne has 6 years on Iginla and Iggy is only 300 points back. With Iggy getting 40 goals on a line with Tanguay and Langkow, you can be sure he would kill it with Kreci/Bergeron and Lucic

40 goals, 70 points and now signs of slowing down.. this regressing theory is one large assumption based on the average NHler. Jarome isnt the average NHLer
Iginla's game is nothing like Selanne's
Iginla's build is nothing Selanne's

But you know who Iginla reminds me of? Brendan Shanahan.

Shanahan's last great season was when he was 36 (40 goals, 81 points). His 37 year old season was 29-33-62.
38? 23-23-46

Iginla is 34. I give him 2 more years of 70+ point production.

Quote:
Why wouldnt you take advantage of an elite player when you know you have the contending team to support him? You know Iginla would be playing with top level players and havea legitimate shot at taking more runs to the cup.

Seguin could very well be a top end player, but in 5 years from now who knows what the team around him could look like.
Have you seen Boston's roster? They have one of the youngest forward cores in the NHL. Their top-3 lines might not have anyone older then 26 on it.

Old
08-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Deen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Iginla's game is nothing like Selanne's
Iginla's build is nothing Selanne's

But you know who Iginla reminds me of? Brendan Shanahan.

Shanahan's last great season was when he was 36 (40 goals, 81 points). His 37 year old season was 29-33-62.
38? 23-23-46

Iginla is 34. I give him 2 more years of 70+ point production.
Recchi is more comparable.

Deen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:30 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
Recchi is more comparable.
5-10, 190 pound Mark Recchi is a similar build to 6-2, 210 pound Jarome Iginla?

Mark Recchi is considered a power forward?