HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Most Important/Least Position In Hockey?

Old
08-29-2011, 01:51 AM
FinlandPanther

vCash: 500
Most Important/Least Position In Hockey?

Between Forwards, Defense, and Goalie, Explain also why. Which position has to be the best for you to win the Cup? Ex: Great F, Average D, Average goalie......Great goalie, Average D and F or Great D and Average F and G.

Last edited by FinlandPanther: 08-29-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Extra info
FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:54 AM
BostonAJ

Goalie. And ironically that's the very reason they hardly ever win the Hart Trophy.

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Pass McGass

vCash: 911
Goalie easily.

Put me as goalie on the most stacked NHL team in history and we're not even making the playoffs.

Pass McGass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:10 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Goalie AINEC

A great goalie can get you to the playoffs or win the SCF virtually by himself. Nobody else can say so.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:33 AM
hockeyfreak7

It depends. A great goalie can really carry a team, and a bad goalie can really ruin a team. The problem is, in this day and age, there is no goalie you can truly count on to be dominant game after game, year after year. I'm talking about like a Dominek Hasek.

After the dead puck era, no goaltender has been quite as dominant as the Roys or Brodeurs. Why that is? To be honest, I think it's because goaltenders were at one point a product of the system. The system that suffocated and stymied offense. The dead puck era. That's what made Brodeur and Roy so good. They were excellent goaltenders taking advantage of an era that made their job that much easier to dominate.

I think it's possible we could be headed that direction again though. Especially with what we saw this year from the Bruins, a new dead puck era could very well be in the future. I think the formula for the Bruins this year was similar to the formula of the Brodeur Devils about a decade ago. Obviously not quite the same, but it certainly helped Thomas out. That's not to say Thomas wasn't spectacular, in fact quite the opposite. The system suffocated teams and relied on Thomas to dominate when he had to.

Whew, so I guess I'm saying that under the right system, a franchise goaltender (Thomas) is the key cog.

But as we saw in 2010, under a system that focuses on depth, maybe a franchise defender (Keith, Pronger) might be the most important.

But then again, in 2009 a franchise center (Crosby, Malkin) was the most important.

So who the hell knows? The truth is, there is no recipe for success. No position is more important. I think at one point goaltending was the most important, but since the lockout and with the introduction of the salary cap, there hasnt been that formulaic recipe that made the Avalanche, Devils and Red Wings dominate an era of hockey. All there is now is finding the right balance...

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:43 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
It depends. A great goalie can really carry a team, and a bad goalie can really ruin a team. The problem is, in this day and age, there is no goalie you can truly count on to be dominant game after game, year after year. I'm talking about like a Dominek Hasek.

After the dead puck era, no goaltender has been quite as dominant as the Roys or Brodeurs. Why that is? To be honest, I think it's because goaltenders were at one point a product of the system. The system that suffocated and stymied offense. The dead puck era. That's what made Brodeur and Roy so good. They were excellent goaltenders taking advantage of an era that made their job that much easier to dominate.

I think it's possible we could be headed that direction again though. Especially with what we saw this year from the Bruins, a new dead puck era could very well be in the future. I think the formula for the Bruins this year was similar to the formula of the Brodeur Devils about a decade ago. Obviously not quite the same, but it certainly helped Thomas out. That's not to say Thomas wasn't spectacular, in fact quite the opposite. The system suffocated teams and relied on Thomas to dominate when he had to.

Whew, so I guess I'm saying that under the right system, a franchise goaltender (Thomas) is the key cog.

But as we saw in 2010, under a system that focuses on depth, maybe a franchise defender (Keith, Pronger) might be the most important.

But then again, in 2009 a franchise center (Crosby, Malkin) was the most important.

So who the hell knows? The truth is, there is no recipe for success. No position is more important. I think at one point goaltending was the most important, but since the lockout and with the introduction of the salary cap, there hasnt been that formulaic recipe that made the Avalanche, Devils and Red Wings dominate an era of hockey. All there is now is finding the right balance...
I agree with most of this except for the part about roy being a product of the dead puck era. Roy was just as good if not better before the dead puck era (2 conn smyths), then he was during the dead puck era.

One thing about roy is that he adapted to any type of system, different era's, diiferent players better then any goalie that I have ever seen play before.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:50 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
I agree with most of this except for the part about roy being a product of the dead puck era. Roy was just as good if not better before the dead puck era (2 conn smyths), then he was during the dead puck era.

One thing about roy is that he adapted to any type of system, different era's, diiferent players better then any goalie that I have ever seen play before.
Oh absolutely, I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been. I'm in no way trying to discredit Roy or his accomplishments. Just that the dead puck era was conducive to the dominance of goaltenders. So when you have one of the best goaltenders of all time playing in an era that emphasizes the dominance of the goalie, you're going to get some pretty extraordinary results. And such was the case for Roy, Brodeur and Hasek.

Although I might add that Hasek dominated the game in a much different way. It's difficult to explain this one, so I'm really not going to try. He just flat out dominated

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Hasek like thomas today are able to put up great record breaking stats because well tell me one way you can scout a goalie like hasek or thomas? Its just impossible for teams/players to actually scout goalies like that.

Goalies like that don't actually have any weakness's in there game, but at the same time there only strength is there athleticism that allows them to scrambe like they do.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Goalie
Center
Defense
Wing

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 04:38 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Goalie
Center - Defense
Wing

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 08:35 AM
bradbirtch
glg#FireCarlyle

Goalie

bradbirtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Goalie AINEC. Maybe separate the Hart Trophy into 2 different prizes: one for goalies and another for skaters.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Sensfanman

I'd say the top 10-15 most important players in the league are goalies. By extension, the bottom 10-15 players are probably also goalies.

Therefore, goalies are the most important but you only need to hit a certain threshold (above "average" starter), then you would better off focusing on forwards.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:35 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
Goalie
Center
Defense
Wing