HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: That Wright kid is going to be special

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2004, 01:03 PM
vbox81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
First of all, Blalock is going to be a pretty good defender himself. Second of all, I can name 3 better 3rd base prospects than Wright. One is Blalock, whom I already named. The second is Miguel Cabrera, lest you forget that this is his 1st full year and that he will be going back to 3rd base once Lowell leaves. The 3rd is Dallas McPherson.
As for who the best prospects are, don't kid yourself. I play in a VERY competitive fantasy baseball keeper league. And our keepers increase every year. So I have a pretty good idea of who good prospects are. Wright IS good, but he is not in the class of an Upton. No publication list him as the 2nd best prospect in all of baseball. He is not Blalock nor will he approach the power numbers that Teixeira will put up. He is not in the class of McPherson. And since we are talking about all prospects, he is not Richie Weekes, nor Cole Hamels, nor Gavin Floyd, nor BJ Upton, nor Prince Fielder, nor Delvon Young. And that is just of the top of my head. I don't even know if he is a Jeff Francis.
I do agree that when all is said and done, Wright will probably be a .300, 25 HRs, 100 RBI, 15-20 stolen base guy. Which is pretty darn good.
Wright has consistently been called the best 3B prospect for 2 years now. He started over MacPherson at the Young Stars game this past All-Star break along side of Upton. MacPherson, in 40 AAA games, has a 62/10 K/BB ratio; not good, though he does bat .290 and 13 HRs. In 31 AAA games, Wright had a 19/16 ratio with .298 and 8 HRs. Also know the Pacific League is a higher offense league than the Int'l League. Wright is a better package than MacPherson, and it has been called that, power is just one dimension.

Blalock is more of a free swinger than Wright, though power should be comprable. Wright does have more speed and should get 10-15 SB when comfortable. Teixeira plays 1B anyway, and moved there because of Blalock and Mark's lack of ability to play defense. And BTW, Wrights OPS is 821 so far and Blalock's is 842.

Cabrera, we know, is only 19 and on a path to greatness, but so is Wright at 21. While Upton is also projecting high, he and Wright play different positions and are considered (up until their respective call-ups) the best at that position not in the majors.

Link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1821836 "He's the most complete third base prospect in the minor leagues, and second only to B.J. Upton among all upper-level position players in terms of long-term impact." 7/14/2004

There are other stories, I can find them if necessary.

Old
08-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Jackson Ranger

I thought I heard Upton and Wright played on the same high school baseball team? Anyone know if this is true?

Old
08-13-2004, 01:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
Wow, you play in a deep keeper league! Whoho, so do I. Doesnt mean you know crap.
I only brought that up so that you know that I am not just talking out of my rear. In order to be successfull, I have to know all aspects of the minors.

"Wright is a better package than MacPherson, and it has been called that, power is just one dimension."

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think that MacPherson is going to offer more than Wright. How much more, is entirely debateable.

"Teixeira plays 1B anyway, and moved there because of Blalock and Mark's lack of ability to play defense."

I brought up Tex, because the converstion started to go into the direction of "the best prospects in baseball". BTW, Tex has been called a future gold glover at 1st, and yes, he moved to accomodate Blalock.
But for comparisons sake, Blalock has 13 errors in 113 games (.115/game), Tex has 8 in 95 (.084/game), and Wright has 4 in 19 (.211/game)

"And BTW, Wrights OPS is 821 so far and Blalock's is 842"

Not fair to judge based of Wright's several weeks. Had you taken Blalock's OPS prior to his slump, it would have been much higher. Just like I cannot use Wright's OPS if he was to do into a 3 week funk.

Old
08-13-2004, 01:21 PM
NYRangers

"I think that MacPherson is going to offer more than Wright. How much more, is entirely debateable."

Like what? Have you ever seen him play? Read the scouting report I posted above.

Old
08-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
First of all, Blalock is going to be a pretty good defender himself. Second of all, I can name 3 better 3rd base prospects than Wright. One is Blalock, whom I already named. The second is Miguel Cabrera, lest you forget that this is his 1st full year and that he will be going back to 3rd base once Lowell leaves. The 3rd is Dallas McPherson.
As for who the best prospects are, don't kid yourself. I play in a VERY competitive fantasy baseball keeper league. And our keepers increase every year. So I have a pretty good idea of who good prospects are. Wright IS good, but he is not in the class of an Upton. No publication list him as the 2nd best prospect in all of baseball. He is not Blalock nor will he approach the power numbers that Teixeira will put up. He is not in the class of McPherson. And since we are talking about all prospects, he is not Richie Weekes, nor Cole Hamels, nor Gavin Floyd, nor BJ Upton, nor Prince Fielder, nor Delvon Young. And that is just of the top of my head. I don't even know if he is a Jeff Francis.
I do agree that when all is said and done, Wright will probably be a .300, 25 HRs, 100 RBI, 15-20 stolen base guy. Which is pretty darn good.
So all those guys you mention above that are going to better than Wright will be putting up better numbers than .300 25 hr 100 rbi and 15-20 sb ??
That would be something to see ....

Old
08-13-2004, 01:53 PM
vbox81

If you don't want to judge the first 3 weeks OPS, why do you judge the first 3 weeks fielding? Also, Teixera could be gold glove 1B, but I don't think he had the mobility to play 3B. Then again, Texas also had a gold glove 1B name palmeiro; maybe Hicks pays the voters to make every Ranger 1B a gold glove.

And like I said, EVERY publication has called Wright the best. MacPherson's 6:1 strikeout:walk ratio doesn't bode well for the future, I would compare his hitting stats to Adam Dunn (excepting Batting Average). Their minor league stats, though, look similar. At this point, it seems like everyone would take Wright.

Old
08-13-2004, 01:55 PM
vbox81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
I thought I heard Upton and Wright played on the same high school baseball team? Anyone know if this is true?

This is true. Not a bad squad...

Old
08-13-2004, 01:57 PM
True Blue

[QUOTE=NYRangersLike what? Have you ever seen him play? Read the scouting report I posted above.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I have seen him play. Plenty of times. I've seen the Anahiem prospects play and I have seen Cole and Hammels pitch. I love hockey and football, but there is nothing like a summer day game of baseball. And minor league baseball is great to watch and is much cheaper.
I have read more than enough scouting reports and have seen more than enough games to form my own opinion.

"So all those guys you mention above that are going to better than Wright will be putting up better numbers than .300 25 hr 100 rbi and 15-20 sb ??
That would be something to see "

First of all, you have no idea if even Wright can put up those type of numbers. So, that would be the first thing to seen. And, yes, I thinkt that Richie Weekes will put up numbers very similar to that. I think that Jeff Mathis will put up numbers that will be similar to that (minus the steals). I think that Texiera will put up better numbers than that (minus steas). Ditto for Blalock and Cabrera. Ditto for Prince Fielder and Delvon Young. And Upton will put up similar numbers and superior steasl (albeit with a much worse defense). MacPherson will put up better than 25 hrs and 100 rbi's.
Off course, we should all remember that these are just prospects and that for every one that makes it, there are dozens that fall by the wayside.

Old
08-13-2004, 02:00 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
If you don't want to judge the first 3 weeks OPS, why do you judge the first 3 weeks fielding? Also, Teixera could be gold glove 1B, but I don't think he had the mobility to play 3B.
No, I just wanted to illustrate how playing the 3 week game could skew almost anything into anyone's favor. I actually agree with you in that I think that defensively, Tex will be better at 1b than 3b.
As for who would take whom, I presume that this is boiling down to Macpherson vs. Wright. As I said, having seen them both play, I would take Dallas, RIGHT NOW. But that is my opinion, and could change as early as next week.

Old
08-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Edge

TB - I gotta agree to disagree with you on the third baseman thing. There's no right or wrong just two man's opinions. Personally I would take Wright over the guys you mentioned. That's taking nothing away from them, but I see A LOT of Jeter in Wright in the sense that on top of pretty dang good numbers he has that drive and desire to play the game EVERY night. That's not a knock on the other guys, just something special I see in Wright.

Like Jeter I'd be expect there to be seasons where a guy puts up better numbers, but the overal combination I just feel Wright is going to be something even beyond the numbers.

I've seen the guys you're talking about and I think they are all awesome young players, but I just see something "different" in Wright. Coming from a Yankee fan, that says a lot.

Closed Thread