HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Tough as nails, he'd lay in front of a train if he had to for the team."

Old
08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The great thing is that this is the first time in a long time I read this and don't know who it refers to right away. Cally, Prust, Danny G, a handful of guys it ca refer to. Either way, give Cally his C.
Good point. Very true.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Janerixon

I am a huge Richards fan and have been since he broke into the NHL, he is a natural born leader... that being said, he is a new guy and already has enough pressure on him to perform here. This is a young team that has a solid core that is willing to do anything to win. Callahan will get the C, Staal will keep his A, and I suspect it will be between Dubinsky and Richards for the final A. Richards does not need an A on his jersey to earn the respect of his teammates, everyone on the team knows what he has accomplished and what he is being brought in here to do. Dubinsky carried this team at times this past season, he should get the 2nd A.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:42 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

If Cally is NOT named Captain, I will STOP rooting for the Rangers!!! You hear me?? I will be DONE with them!! DONE!! D-O-E-N!! DONE!!

Alright, maybe I won't be done with them..but gosh darnit I just really want Callahan to get that "C"!!!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 03:23 AM
eco's bones

As for the general consensus I think that Callahan would make a great captain, but...

Luongo I believe is the captain of the Canucks and Lundqvist is if anything as much a leader as Callahan and a more important player--as Henrik goes so so the Rangers.

Callahan fighting Cooke--welll we've seen Dubinsky do the same kind of things--Prust it's more or less his job so it's expected. Avery--not that popular a figure anymore went up in weight class about two steps to fight Carcillo (the same game that Carcillo beat up Gaborik) and tagged him a few times. Girardi led the league in blocked shots--dmen tend to block a lot more than forwards. The thing is to point out that there are a number of players on the Rangers these days willing to step up for their teammates--that Callahan isn't the only one though he certainly is a leader that way. As for Richards if not a C--then maybe an A. Let's not kid ourselves--if we're going anywhere he's going to be a huge reason why.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 05:20 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
As for the general consensus I think that Callahan would make a great captain, but...

Luongo I believe is the captain of the Canucks and Lundqvist is if anything as much a leader as Callahan and a more important player--as Henrik goes so so the Rangers.

Callahan fighting Cooke--welll we've seen Dubinsky do the same kind of things--Prust it's more or less his job so it's expected. Avery--not that popular a figure anymore went up in weight class about two steps to fight Carcillo (the same game that Carcillo beat up Gaborik) and tagged him a few times. Girardi led the league in blocked shots--dmen tend to block a lot more than forwards. The thing is to point out that there are a number of players on the Rangers these days willing to step up for their teammates--that Callahan isn't the only one though he certainly is a leader that way. As for Richards if not a C--then maybe an A. Let's not kid ourselves--if we're going anywhere he's going to be a huge reason why.
This is one of the reasons why I don't think we need a heavyweight anymore, probably for the first time since the 94 team. Rupp is a great signing in that respect, another high character guy who should knock in a handful of goals, forecheck and drop the gloves if necessary.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:18 AM
richardsequalscup*

At best he's a 30-30 guy. He's talked about as a superstar by Rangers fans. Good player, valuable wing to have on a team. He's not the guy you look to when you need a goal in a 1-1 game in the third period of a playoff game.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:59 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post

The Canucks tried Luongo as the Captain the year his contract was about to be up. Once he re-signed, they stripped it from him and gave it to Sedin.

A goalie should NEVER wear a "C".

He can be a great leader in the room, but he never has a feel for the bench which is quite a bit of it. And they have enough to think about besides getting other players ready to play.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:04 AM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsequalscup View Post
At best he's a 30-30 guy.
Is that a bad thing? That's legitimate first line production to go along with elite defensive skills and an off-the-charts hockey sense.

Quote:
He's talked about as a superstar by Rangers fans. Good player, valuable wing to have on a team. He's not the guy you look to when you need a goal in a 1-1 game in the third period of a playoff game.
Not necessarily, but he certainly won't hurt the team's chances of scoring in that situation. You don't him out there to actually score the goal, per se; you put out there to help create the goalscoring opportunities, and that's what he does best. Relentless forecheck, perfect timing, impeccable awareness. He's not a skill player, but he makes up for that in every other category possible.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:25 AM
LyNX27

I thought it was a quote about Erik Christensen.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:44 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
I thought it was a quote about Erik Christensen.
He'd lay in front of a train but not for the team, to end his suffering maybe

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:07 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
At best he's a 30-30 guy. He's talked about as a superstar by Rangers fans. Good player, valuable wing to have on a team. He's not the guy you look to when you need a goal in a 1-1 game in the third period of a playoff game.
O rly?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
He's not the guy you look to when you need a goal in a 1-1 game in the third period of a playoff game.
Do you prefer Christensen, Avery, Wolski, Zuccarrelo, or Stepan on the ice in a 1-1 game late in the third period? Hockey's a two-way game, where offensive opportunity's often come to fruition from defensive-plays.

Callahan's exactly the type of player you want on the ice in that situation.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
O rly?

He probably meant during a 2-2 game

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
He's not the guy you look to when you need a goal in a 1-1 game in the third period of a playoff game.
It would help if you provided the reasoning behind this blanket statement.

08-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Machinehead
Get Well Gordie

Callahan may only be at best 30 goal guy, but most of his goals are in close games or against rivals.

Just this past year he dropped 4 on the Flyers and was massive in two games in Pittsburgh. He also had a sick assist against the Bruins in that miracle game. And the last time he was in the playoffs, '09 against washington, Hank was the #1 reason we forced 7 games, but Callahan was doing all the scoring. Callahan is a bigtime, big game player.

Last edited by Machinehead: 08-30-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:52 AM
pld459666

Quote:
While it would be nice to have a player that is captain material that can do that, I'm not sure I need that from my Captain.

When Messier was here, he wasn't the only guy that was looked to for that goal.

Graves, Leetch, Zubov. Later Verbeek.

I've never believed in the concept of your best offensive player should be captain.

I think your best all around player should be the captain and without question, that player for the Rangers right now is Callahan.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Considering that we've had three players score 30 or more goals since the lockout, it's kind of amusing how often the phrase "only a 30 goal scorer" is thrown around on this board.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
So I guess Gaborik should be our Captain

Great thinking on your part. Best scorer = Captain

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 03:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Yup, he's the guy who busts his ass through the neutral zone and makes a diving shot block that saves a prime scoring chance and preserves a 1 goal lead for the win....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 03:44 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The Canucks tried Luongo as the Captain the year his contract was about to be up. Once he re-signed, they stripped it from him and gave it to Sedin.

He can be a great leader in the room, but he never has a feel for the bench which is quite a bit of it. And they have enough to think about besides getting other players ready to play.
I have no problem with Callahan getting the C. Lundqvist though is the most important player on the team. Not sure though how a captain gets other players ready to play other than be an example both on and off the ice but it is necessary that he be a key player--which is a problem I had with Drury the last couple seasons.

Old
08-30-2011, 03:47 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
This is one of the reasons why I don't think we need a heavyweight anymore, probably for the first time since the 94 team. Rupp is a great signing in that respect, another high character guy who should knock in a handful of goals, forecheck and drop the gloves if necessary.
I look at Rupp as our heavyweight. He can go with the bigger guys. He's not always going to win but you don't really have to worry all that much that he's going to go to the hospital if he loses--like might happen to Prust if he wound up taking on a McIntyre or an Orr. And Rupp can play so that signing should work out great as far as I'm concerned.

Old
08-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

This.

A goalie has to concentrate on stopping the puck and nothing else, they shouldn't be worrying about what their teammates or the refs are doing. Just giving a normal goalie like Luongo a 'C' wouldn't work, and Lundqvist is the type of goalie who is quiet and likes to focus and concentrate on just his game

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 04:01 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Considering that we've had three players score 30 or more goals since the lockout, it's kind of amusing how often the phrase "only a 30 goal scorer" is thrown around on this board.
wow, i never even realized it was that low. it was jagr's 54 goal campaign in 05-06 followed up by 30 in 06-7, and finally gaborik's 42 goal campaign in 09-10. that is pretty crazy come to think of it. back to the topic, i think cally gets the c, staal gets the a and im not going to be shocked one bit if richie gets an a over dubinsky. i think the bigger question hould really be who will be getting the final a on their jersey. im 99.99 percent sure cally gets the c.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 04:04 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
wow, i never even realized it was that low. it was jagr's 54 goal campaign in 05-06 followed up by 30 in 06-7, and finally gaborik's 42 goal campaign in 09-10. that is pretty crazy come to think of it. back to the topic, i think cally gets the c, staal gets the a and im not going to be shocked one bit if richie gets an a over dubinsky. i think the bigger question hould really be who will be getting the final a on their jersey. im 99.99 percent sure cally gets the c.
Prucha scored 30 too.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Prucha scored 30 too.
Yep. Prucha, Jagr and Gaborik.

Straka and Shanny came close one year with 29, but you get the idea.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote