HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Habs Board Streaming Think Tank

Old
08-29-2011, 08:31 PM
buddahsmoka1

vCash: 500
The Habs Board Streaming Think Tank

I was thinking that we could get a thread going where we can discuss ways of streaming hockey games for the upcoming season.

I spent much of the season abroad and was very reliant on streaming to watch games, and it worked out well. But I have also seen a lot of websites that have higher quality streams that need software downloaded to watch them, but know nothing about this avenue.

As far as I know, there are software programs called Veetle, or Sopcast, and others that you download the program, and then you can stream them through that medium. Anyone else have good success with this?

I won't have a TV this year, and beyond, so when I am not going to a friends house or the bar or something, streaming will be my choice of game viewing. I had no problems finding streams last year through the various websites(but I have also noticed my2p forum is down which really sucks), but the quality is sometimes just not there, and my internet connection isn't really that good either so I need better options.

We should also get some kind of library going of websites that show games, and may be we can get a couple of people pitching in on game day links every game day(wouldn't mind helping out with this). I think it would be beneficial to have a sticky or a thread where we can all go to get streams easily, and information about streaming games, instead of littering the GDTs with people asking for them(which I found occurred A LOT last season).

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 08:39 PM
PricePkPatch

I don't have a TV either, so I will be relying on internet sources too.

I was thinking maybe NHLCenter, but if you believe we have a solid stream intelligence center here, maybe I'll save a few bucks for university..

If not, well, you gotta have priority in life. I'll set back my Master for one year.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.justin.tv/exou09 - Ex Nordic' channel. He always streams. If his channel gets banned, there's a new one that pops up in under a minute. You can keep up with the new channel URL at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/exnordic/?ap=1

I just got RDS HD so I won't be needing this anymore, but I've been very happy for having this and sharing this with others because the quality of the streams are decent (not HD, but good) and its very reliable (airs almost all the games in the season and some other events too like WJHC).

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

what a great idea!!!

its hard for me to get RDS in Chile

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:25 PM
shutehinside

You can always buy a Slingbox and put it on someone's tv if cost isn't an issue. Quality is great and you can watch games and anything else in hd quality anywhere in the world.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
You can always buy a Slingbox and put it on someone's tv if cost isn't an issue. Quality is great and you can watch games and anything else in hd quality anywhere in the world.
yeah but what happen if the person change channel during the game?

Old
08-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Kikizaz

I've had pretty good success with Veetle (however it seems to me that the games i usually watch with it are CGY/EDM games)

No tangible returns with Sopcast.

we really should have something stickied with this general theme. (but i suppose rules are rules)

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 04:38 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
http://www.justin.tv/exou09 - Ex Nordic' channel. He always streams. If his channel gets banned, there's a new one that pops up in under a minute. You can keep up with the new channel URL at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/exnordic/?ap=1

I just got RDS HD so I won't be needing this anymore, but I've been very happy for having this and sharing this with others because the quality of the streams are decent (not HD, but good) and its very reliable (airs almost all the games in the season and some other events too like WJHC).
He's my man! Thanks to him for all the great streams I had last year and hopefully this year too.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 05:17 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I have RDS now on my digital cable in Ontario(with Cogeco). Does anyone else in Ontario know whether our not it will be blacked out during Habs games or not? If not I might be able to watch every game on TV this year.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 05:58 AM
BobLoblaw

This is a great idea- I'm in Singapore until December and there is zero hockey here.

I'd pay for centerice but it's not offered in Asia. I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks per game, but I don't think RDS is still doing that?

BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

If I sign up for the NHL's GameCenter online streams, does that include the games that TSN has been broadcasting locally?

What would the blackout situation be like for someone in the Maritimes trying to watch the maximum amount of Habs games?

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:22 AM
neofury*

Veetle and Sopcast are garbage but Sopcast can be manipulated through VLC media player in such a way that makes it legit.

Honestly though for under 30 bucks a month you can get RDS plus 5-10 channels of your choosing. Why in gods name would you stream unless you absolutely have to. (I understand if you don't have the 30 bucks a month, at one point I was very strict on budget as well, but if you can afford it and are just being cheap I find that stupid)

That being said SopCast has more than tangible returns you just need to google how to use it with VLC. It's always been a top streamer for me once doing that. Also if you have the internet you could always pay the 1 time fee for PlayOn but definitely your responsibility learning how to install the scripts and plugins, can be a bit tricky but they have a 14 day trial. I say install it a few days before game one and try it out. If it isn't outside of your grasp (can be tricky for comp noobs) then it's worth it. 40$ / year > 30$ / month.

It basically allows you to stream those annoying PC streams to your actual TV with no veetle, no sopcast, it simply uses the other streams that are available. Last year when I used it I managed to find each game with minimum 1 stream but usually 2 and one of the two was almost always TV quality (not HD but regular cable style)

Last edited by neofury*: 08-30-2011 at 09:28 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
These are two websites that provide live streams for almost all NHL games, quality is in the range from meh to really good.

http://www.lshunter.tv/hockey-live-streaming-video.html

http://www.live-sport.org/en/ice+hockey/d/2010/07/30

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:51 AM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
I've had pretty good success with Veetle (however it seems to me that the games i usually watch with it are CGY/EDM games)

No tangible returns with Sopcast.

we really should have something stickied with this general theme. (but i suppose rules are rules)
I believe talk about streaming, and sharing of streams was completely permitted on hfboards last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Honestly though for under 30 bucks a month you can get RDS plus 5-10 channels of your choosing. Why in gods name would you stream unless you absolutely have to. (I understand if you don't have the 30 bucks a month, at one point I was very strict on budget as well, but if you can afford it and are just being cheap I find that stupid)
I do not believe TV is a positive means of entertainment, and I plan on never spending another dime on it in my life. In addition, my apartment has no TV, and I am not about to get one.

Old
08-30-2011, 10:13 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I believe talk about streaming, and sharing of streams was completely permitted on hfboards last season.

I do not believe TV is a positive means of entertainment, and I plan on never spending another dime on it in my life. In addition, my apartment has no TV, and I am not about to get one.
I don't use my TV for anything other than the game and PS3 really. Still having used streams for at least an entire season I'd much rather watch the game on a 20" TV via illico RDS etc than stream and deal with the disappointment of the stream cutting out, quality ranging, stream sometimes even not existing.

The way I see it if I'm going to go watch the game somewhere and spend 20$ on a meal and/or drinks that's my monthly subscription right there, and all of my TV's are hand me downs anyways not like I've got some 3000$ HDTV or anything

Point is it's not a huge stretch to find a cheap TV (we're talking 5$) and setup illico. Maybe it isn't your idea of entertainment but for me the peace of mind in knowing that I get all 82 games plus playoffs is all I really need. Plus my girlfriend gets to pick 10 channels she likes cause I don't use it for anything else. I think you can link the illico up to a PC monitor anyways though regardless.

Old
08-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
my p2p forum. (I'll look for a direct link) Nevermind, site seems to be down...

Sometimes you need Sopcast/VLC.

It takes about 5 minutes to setup the stream, but it's usually a good quality.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:58 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
my p2p forum. (I'll look for a direct link) Nevermind, site seems to be down...

Sometimes you need Sopcast/VLC.

It takes about 5 minutes to setup the stream, but it's usually a good quality.
http://77.247.179.66/feeds/nowplaying.xml

Old
08-30-2011, 01:15 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Honestly though for under 30 bucks a month you can get RDS plus 5-10 channels of your choosing.
Just to clarify on this point, I don't believe you can do that with Videotron. The very minimum Videotron will let you order is "Basic Service" for $18.26 and "Custom Package 15 channels" for $22.33, which brings the total to $40.59 + tax. You have to pay $3.03 for "Network access fee - Digital TV" too.

If you want HD on top of that you have to pay $6.06 for "HD Network access fee" and "Combo TSN HD / TSN2 HD / RSN HD".

That's the setup I have and my monthly TV bill is $49.69 per month + tax. I find that too pricey personally.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7...0830141618.png

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

I found this site

http://www.2solitudes.com/articles/1...ing-Links.html

Old
08-30-2011, 01:26 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Just to clarify on this point, I don't believe you can do that with Videotron. The very minimum Videotron will let you order is "Basic Service" for $18.26 and "Custom Package 15 channels" for $22.33, which brings the total to $40.59 + tax. You have to pay $3.03 for "Network access fee - Digital TV" too.

If you want HD on top of that you have to pay $6.06 for "HD Network access fee" and "Combo TSN HD / TSN2 HD / RSN HD".

That's the setup I have and my monthly TV bill is $49.69 per month + tax. I find that too pricey personally.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7...0830141618.png
Nah not true. I looked it up yesterday and it was 21.29$ for basic + 6$ for 5 channels of your choosing (1 could be RDS)

Plus we aren't even discussing HD here when referring to peeps who watch streams, doubt they're going to run out and buy an HDTV.

For whatever reason their site is bugging on me now but I checked it yesterday and specifically remember basic being 21.29$ now and 6.09$(this number is a guess but it was 6.XX) for 5 extra channels a la carte.

Plus at worst there's the 10 channel a la carte. Not sure where you're getting the must get 15 from.

You are right there are hidden fees like 3$ but two things:

1) If you have internet in Montreal it should be videotron as cable is > all in the price range. Have heard good things about Fibe mind you but Fibe TV is a ripoff in comparison. (In the context of this discussion higher end prices = not worth discussing)

2) If you do have internet with videotron both your net and TV will be cheaper than advertised in terms of the solo packages.

So while you're right it would probably be a bit more than 30$ if you have a package it won't be. I do understand why folks go with Bell though as it's much cheaper. But yeah, even without a package ~30$ is attainable, I know this because I do the basic + 10 and it's like roughly 30$ for that, I'd have to imagine that without a package + 5 instead of 10 it would be about the same or less.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I have RDS now on my digital cable in Ontario(with Cogeco). Does anyone else in Ontario know whether our not it will be blacked out during Habs games or not? If not I might be able to watch every game on TV this year.
I pick up RDS in Ottawa, no games are ever blacked out on RDS, for any reason but it may be different with Cogeco (I know nothing about them). The only station that blacks out there games is Sportsnet because they want you to watch their regional coverage which are usually good for a Sens/Leafs game but nothing else. RDS should be fine.

It's nice too because the English announcers on other channels (whoever on CBC or Pierre McGuire) usually drive me nuts so RDS is a good alternative because I have no idea what they're saying.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 04:25 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Nah not true. I looked it up yesterday and it was 21.29$ for basic + 6$ for 5 channels of your choosing (1 could be RDS)

Plus we aren't even discussing HD here when referring to peeps who watch streams, doubt they're going to run out and buy an HDTV.

For whatever reason their site is bugging on me now but I checked it yesterday and specifically remember basic being 21.29$ now and 6.09$(this number is a guess but it was 6.XX) for 5 extra channels a la carte.

Plus at worst there's the 10 channel a la carte. Not sure where you're getting the must get 15 from.

You are right there are hidden fees like 3$ but two things:

1) If you have internet in Montreal it should be videotron as cable is > all in the price range. Have heard good things about Fibe mind you but Fibe TV is a ripoff in comparison. (In the context of this discussion higher end prices = not worth discussing)

2) If you do have internet with videotron both your net and TV will be cheaper than advertised in terms of the solo packages.

So while you're right it would probably be a bit more than 30$ if you have a package it won't be. I do understand why folks go with Bell though as it's much cheaper. But yeah, even without a package ~30$ is attainable, I know this because I do the basic + 10 and it's like roughly 30$ for that, I'd have to imagine that without a package + 5 instead of 10 it would be about the same or less.
Videotron does not have a 5 channel custom package, the smallest one is 10 channels for $17.26. At least I can't find any here: http://www.videotron.com/service/tv/...custom-package

And you're right about 10 channel package being the minimum now. It used to be 15 channels + basic at least back when I signed up a few years ago. Now you can't go any lower than Basic + 10 channels making your total almost $40 before tax.

Not sure how you can get any TV service with Videotron for under $30. If you know something I don't - let me know, cause that's what I want to do. Paying all this money for a crappy channel lineup is not something I enjoy.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Figaro95

Figaro95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Videotron does not have a 5 channel custom package, the smallest one is 10 channels for $17.26. At least I can't find any here: http://www.videotron.com/service/tv/...custom-package

And you're right about 10 channel package being the minimum now. It used to be 15 channels + basic at least back when I signed up a few years ago. Now you can't go any lower than Basic + 10 channels making your total almost $40 before tax.

Not sure how you can get any TV service with Videotron for under $30. If you know something I don't - let me know, cause that's what I want to do. Paying all this money for a crappy channel lineup is not something I enjoy.
http://www.videotron.com/service/tv/...&rel="nofollow" target=encore

You can add extra channels individually if you want. Neo was right though, there's a 5 channel custom package.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 05:07 PM
buddahsmoka1

OK, so I have downloaded and installed SopCast.

How do I stream through VLC?

EDIT: Figured it out, not hard, here is a tutorial:

Quality looks quite good, I am impressed.

Last edited by buddahsmoka1: 08-30-2011 at 05:22 PM.