HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Arch City Army Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-29-2011, 10:18 PM
cbjbluejackets61
This is neat!

vCash: 500
The Arch City Army Thread

Are they returning?

And do you guys like it?

I personally think its out of place, and seems to get drowned out anyways from the jumbotron during dead plays.

Last edited by SuperGenius: 01-03-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old
08-29-2011, 10:20 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

It's a really, really bad name.

Outside of that, I do not dislike fans getting more in the game as long as they are respectful to the families around them.

Old
08-29-2011, 10:44 PM
ZachACA

We've all had this conversation (fight) before, so I'll only say this: there's a real history to our name, every time we're at Nationwide, we sign up new members and are told that we're doing a good job at raising hell and were just given our season ticket plans from the front office, so no, we are not going away any time soon.

http://archcityarmy.com/

Old
08-29-2011, 11:19 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Arch City is St. Louis. Otherwise, I love these guys!

Old
08-29-2011, 11:19 PM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

Personally I LOVE the idea. I just dislike the name (No matter how historical it may be) and PLEASE lose the soccer chants.

Old
08-29-2011, 11:25 PM
cbjbluejackets61
This is neat!

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea. But it seems to small right now to be effective. I'm sure once people sign up and are on board it'll be a great addition to the Nat.

Old
08-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

I've vaguely paid attention to the whole Arch City Army thing...so excuse me if this has been answered before...

But what is the "history behind the name"?

Old
08-30-2011, 04:50 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilliardsw55 View Post
I've vaguely paid attention to the whole Arch City Army thing...so excuse me if this has been answered before...

From Wikipedia, "Columbus earned one of its nicknames, "The Arch City", because of the dozens of wooden arches that spanned High Street at the turn of the 20th century. The arches illuminated the thoroughfare and eventually became the means by which electric power was provided to the new streetcars. The arches were torn down and replaced with cluster lights in 1914, but were reconstructed from metal in the Short North district in 2002 for their unique historical interest."

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
08-30-2011, 05:00 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilliardsw55 View Post

Columbus is the "Arch City". You didn't know that? But you're frickin' IN Columbus, man.

Old
08-30-2011, 06:53 AM
BluejacketNut

I like that theres actually a group that will come out and make noise. Nationwide can be a morgue (unless theres a fight or goal) before the last 2 minutes of the 3rd period.

Old
08-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Who can point out the real arch?

Last edited by Jaxs: 12-23-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old
08-30-2011, 07:48 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Well someone likes them. The Jackets just did another big F YOU to all PSL holders by giving their members who get Season tickets PSL holder rights without having to buy a PSL.

@Dark Blue Jacket PSL benefits w/out PSL cost? WOW RT @ArchCityArmy: 2011-2012 ticket pricing and packages have now been announced for ACA archcityarmy.com

Old
08-30-2011, 08:08 AM
blahblah

Everything old is new again.

This debate went on for a while during the regular season. I'll say it again, as long as they aren't a bunch of drunk asshats, good for them and I wish them well. We've seen what drunk idiots can look like in other cities with opposing fans. Not saying that's what they are, just listing my preference on how they behave. Other than that, they need to update their material to be more relevant to hockey.

I respect what their ultimate goal is and hope they can get to it in a respectful way.

We're not even to training camp, so these guys are less then on my radar.

Old
08-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Arch City is St. Louis. Otherwise, I love these guys!
I believe St. Louis is known as "The Gateway City". You know, the whole gateway to the west thing.

I love the ACA. I hope their enthusiasm is infectious at the Nat. A fellow FF buddy of mine was in the section with the ACA last year and said that all of the ACA folks were extremely courteous, and accommodating to everyone around them. He had his grandson with him, and he said that he had a blast with the ACA folks.

I hope enough of them get in the place so that they can get the rest of the fans involved more.

Old
08-30-2011, 08:18 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Columbus is the "Arch City". You didn't know that? But you're frickin' IN Columbus, man.
Our legacy is cows and cannon's. No room for Arch's.

Old
08-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Well someone likes them. The Jackets just did another big F YOU to all PSL holders by giving their members who get Season tickets PSL holder rights without having to buy a PSL.

@Dark Blue Jacket PSL benefits w/out PSL cost? WOW RT @ArchCityArmy: 2011-2012 ticket pricing and packages have now been announced for ACA archcityarmy.com
I understand the frustration of PSL holders, but at the same time the team is trying to attract more fans in order to survive. If by doing this, they are able to keep the team in town so that your PSL's still have some value, then that is better. These aren't "permanent" benefits like your PSL's are, they may be temporary for just this one year. You get to sit anywhere you want, they get one section.

It isn't a diss at you. Your tickets aren't going to show up with a Jordin Tootoo bobblehead. It's a sign that the team really does want to survive, and build a fanbase in Columbus.

Old
08-30-2011, 08:44 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I understand the frustration of PSL holders, but at the same time the team is trying to attract more fans in order to survive. If by doing this, they are able to keep the team in town so that your PSL's still have some value, then that is better. These aren't "permanent" benefits like your PSL's are, they may be temporary for just this one year. You get to sit anywhere you want, they get one section.

It isn't a diss at you. Your tickets aren't going to show up with a Jordin Tootoo bobblehead. It's a sign that the team really does want to survive, and build a fanbase in Columbus.
I totally understand this. It's just frustrating because it seems that PSL holders (and even more so for 20-2-1 holders like myself) are not always treated right.

Old
08-30-2011, 08:58 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I totally understand this. It's just frustrating because it seems that PSL holders (and even more so for 20-2-1 holders like myself) are not always treated right.
Changing the PSL requirements is not a FU to their existing holders. The sooner you realize it has nothing to do with you, nor some desire to treat you (your group) badly, the better off you will be.

As a person that has spent money on PSL's 3 times (moved, took a year off, etc), I don't care what they do for future requirements. I would rather they get rid of it if it means they get more season ticket holders. If I was still a PSL holder, I would not be offended in the slightest.

I haven't gotten a call to finalize my games or seats for my six pack. That's the kind of stuff they need to fix.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:38 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Changing the PSL requirements is not a FU to their existing holders. The sooner you realize it has nothing to do with you, nor some desire to treat you (your group) badly, the better off you will be.

As a person that has spent money on PSL's 3 times (moved, took a year off, etc), I don't care what they do for future requirements. I would rather they get rid of it if it means they get more season ticket holders. If I was still a PSL holder, I would not be offended in the slightest.

I haven't gotten a call to finalize my games or seats for my six pack. That's the kind of stuff they need to fix.
You may be somewhat right, if it would bring in more ticket holders then just totally do away with any type of PSL and reward those with PSLs in same way. I am letting my dislike of ACA cloud my judgment. Hopefully they will get their act together this year and be a group deserving of these extra benefits.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:25 AM
ACABrad

Yes we will be back and we will be in force. We completely understand that no everyone is going to like us. But we all support the same team and that is all that should matter.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:30 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 278
I was turned off by some of their antics early on. Taking shots at lower bowl was divisive and I think counter to what their mission should be. Its not about the ACA, it should be about encouraging support for the CBJ. But I'm indifferent, they got their section and it doesnt affect me since my seats are elsewhere. I've never seen a need to join a club, even the Jacket Backers.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

As the kid of a PSL holder who mooched tickets for the last decade, let me tell you, I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would buy PSLs. By the time the game starts, PSL holders have had to dodge scalpers selling better tickets for half the costs and heard at least 10 different ads over the PA advertising similar seats, + food and drink, for a quarter of the costs.

Last year, I went a combined scalping+green seats route. I still went to half the games (of my choice) and paid about 15-20% of what my parents pay for full season PSLs. That's...unacceptable.

I understand that you need to attract new fans, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the PSL holders, who are the backbone of the fanbase.

And as for the ACA...I'll accept them when they...

-Stop this jihad against the lower bowl. They've paid money and just because their idea of entertainment isn't to get drunk, shout obscenities, and make an ass of themselves doesn't mean they should be the object of scorn.
-NEVER EVER EVER skip a regular season game for an exhibition soccer game again.
-Respect the national anthem
-Stop harassing contest winners at Cannonfest.

08-30-2011, 12:00 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
As the kid of a PSL holder who mooched tickets for the last decade, let me tell you, I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would buy PSLs. By the time the game starts, PSL holders have had to dodge scalpers selling better tickets for half the costs and heard at least 10 different ads over the PA advertising similar seats, + food and drink, for a quarter of the costs.

Last year, I went a combined scalping+green seats route. I still went to half the games (of my choice) and paid about 15-20% of what my parents pay for full season PSLs. That's...unacceptable.

I understand that you need to attract new fans, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the PSL holders, who are the backbone of the fanbase.

-Stop this jihad against the lower bowl. They've paid money and just because their idea of entertainment isn't to get drunk, shout obscenities, and make an ass of themselves doesn't mean they should be the object of scorn.
-NEVER EVER EVER skip a regular season game for an exhibition soccer game again.
-Stop harassing contest winners at Cannonfest.
You forgot chants that make light of someones death.

Old
08-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

That's pretty much how I feel.

BTW, if I want to hear soccer chants, I'll buy tickets to a Crew game. Can't the Nat atmosphere have its own personality as opposed to having some part-time Jackets fans trying to turn the arena into Nordecke 2.0?

Also, the next time the Wild comes to Nationwide, leave the "Heatley killed a guy" chants at home. Hey ACA - 2003 called and they want their chant back.

Old
08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

So, I clicked this link from the main hfboards page under the Central division thinking it would lead me to a post about the Blues...

Good for you guys to have something like this at your games. Its pretty sweet and I wish them the best of luck.

Closed Thread