HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Arch City Army Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2011, 01:11 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
And as for the ACA...I'll accept them when they...

-Stop this jihad against the lower bowl. They've paid money and just because their idea of entertainment isn't to get drunk, shout obscenities, and make an ass of themselves doesn't mean they should be the object of scorn.
-NEVER EVER EVER skip a regular season game for an exhibition soccer game again.
-Respect the national anthem
-Stop harassing contest winners at Cannonfest.
That's rough, I take back what I said a minute ago. I thought these people were hockey fans. But skipping a game that matters for an exhibition and disrespecting either national anthem isn't something that hockey fans do.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Heinze 57

Yeah the derisive shots at the lower bowl were annoying. That needs to end. We're all fans of the same guys, there's no need to cause further seperation amongst the fans.

I'll be honest, I'd join if it weren't for the name. I like the idea behind the group, but you could not have picked a worse name and in groups where you're trying to recruit people via grassroots efforts, the name is half the battle. I know you guys made scarves, but it's still not too late to change it.

I'm not joking when I say the first time I ever heard Columbus referred to as "The Arch City" was when I heard about this supporters' group and I've lived here for 15 years.

Here's some suggestions:

Columbus Cavalry
Cannon City Soldiers
Grand Army of the Republic (The G.A.R.)
Grant's Army
The Union Blues

That's 5 off the top of my head. At least 3 of them better than "Arch City Army", which would be a fine name were it not for that other more well known arch city that's in our own division. Personally, I like Grant's Army best. A key general in the Civil War and an Ohio native.

Again, nothing against the effort. I like the idea and I like the enthusiasm, but swing and a miss by whoever named the group and whoever seconded it.

Last edited by Heinze 57: 08-30-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old
08-30-2011, 01:30 PM
blahblah

Quote:
As the kid of a PSL holder who mooched tickets for the last decade, let me tell you, I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would buy PSLs. By the time the game starts, PSL holders have had to dodge scalpers selling better tickets for half the costs and heard at least 10 different ads over the PA advertising similar seats, + food and drink, for a quarter of the costs.

Last year, I went a combined scalping+green seats route. I still went to half the games (of my choice) and paid about 15-20% of what my parents pay for full season PSLs. That's...unacceptable.

I understand that you need to attract new fans, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the PSL holders, who are the backbone of the fanbase.
The economics are what they are. PSL's are a reality when the financial situation is good. I'm not going to get fired up about scalpers and the like. I was happy to pay for the PSL's when I got them, the rest is out of my control. Having said that, I think the cost of the PSL's is too high all over the arena. They also were far too strict on movement and having to re-pay for PSL's the one year I had to skip because I was layed off for a couple of months.

Quote:

-Stop this jihad against the lower bowl. They've paid money and just because their idea of entertainment isn't to get drunk, shout obscenities, and make an ass of themselves doesn't mean they should be the object of scorn.
-NEVER EVER EVER skip a regular season game for an exhibition soccer game again.
I agree on all accounts if these events are true and habitual. Like any org they need to police themselves. I'm assuming (hoping) that these examples are isolated and not approved by whatever governing body they might have.

Having said that, not sure around the details of the skipping of the game, but since I heard a game on this weekend wouldn't their exhibition season be the spring? Was this a spring thing? If so, skipping if we are out of the playoffs wouldn't be that big of a crime. I'd need more details on that before I passed judgment. Since I don't like soccer, and thus ignorant of certain details,I can't really speak to that charge.

Last edited by blahblah: 08-30-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old
08-30-2011, 03:33 PM
ACABrad

Quote:

Wow, dude, get your facts straight before you start passing judgement.

-There is no "Jihad" againist the lower bowl. We only have one chant of "Wake up lower bowl." Trying to motivate the crowd which at times seems to be spending more time checking their facebook page than watching our Jackets. Again we all cheer for the same team
-We were only at 5 games last season. Though I am a Crew fan, I am by far first a Jackets fan. I am one of the many purchasing season tickets for the 2011-2012 for the first time. No game was "missed" because of any exhibition Crew game. But there will be members of the ACA that will not attend the Jackets game because of a Crew game, but that will not be us all. Just like there are many Jackets fans that will miss a Jackets game to watch a Buckeye's game on TV or at the Shoe.
-Not sure where the disrespect for the National anthem comment is coming from. We all remove our hats and sing along with the anthem as every good American should. That is honestly better than most people I see in the arena during the anthem.
-Harassment of contest winners at Cannonfest? Completely taken out of context. The only people we "harassed" were members of the ACA that won items. We are all friends and like most friends will make jabs at eachother. We all participated in the contests that the proceeds went to a chariety that both the Jackets Backers and ACA support, Hockey Beats Cancer.

Again, we know not everyone is going to like the ACA and what we stand for. That is fine with us. Everyone is entitled to there own opinions. Everyone supports there teams in a different way. We are just a group of like minded people that want support our team and see Nationwide filled and rocking every single game.

Old
08-30-2011, 03:40 PM
ACABrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I agree on all accounts if these events are true and habitual. Like any org they need to police themselves. I'm assuming (hoping) that these examples are isolated and not approved by whatever governing body they might have.

Having said that, not sure around the details of the skipping of the game, but since I heard a game on this weekend wouldn't their exhibition season be the spring? Was this a spring thing? If so, skipping if we are out of the playoffs wouldn't be that big of a crime. I'd need more details on that before I passed judgment. Since I don't like soccer, and thus ignorant of certain details,I can't really speak to that charge.
We do police ourselves and have never ever had any problems or complaints from staff at Nationwide or any event that we have been to.

The only game that I can think of that someone is claiming to be an "exhibition" game would had been the CONCACAF game on Feb 22 which was the same night the Jackets played Nashville. CONCACAF games are not "Exhibition" games, they are a championship tornament that the Crew particiapated in. Again, ACA was only at 5 games last season. We did not plan to be at that Jackets game because of the conflict of schedules. But there were several ACA members still at the Jackets game that night.

Old
08-30-2011, 03:48 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACABrad View Post
Wow, dude, get your facts straight before you start passing judgement.

-There is no "Jihad" againist the lower bowl. We only have one chant of "Wake up lower bowl." Trying to motivate the crowd which at times seems to be spending more time checking their facebook page than watching our Jackets. Again we all cheer for the same team
-We were only at 5 games last season. Though I am a Crew fan, I am by far first a Jackets fan. I am one of the many purchasing season tickets for the 2011-2012 for the first time. No game was "missed" because of any exhibition Crew game. But there will be members of the ACA that will not attend the Jackets game because of a Crew game, but that will not be us all. Just like there are many Jackets fans that will miss a Jackets game to watch a Buckeye's game on TV or at the Shoe.
-Not sure where the disrespect for the National anthem comment is coming from. We all remove our hats and sing along with the anthem as every good American should. That is honestly better than most people I see in the arena during the anthem.
-Harassment of contest winners at Cannonfest? Completely taken out of context. The only people we "harassed" were members of the ACA that won items. We are all friends and like most friends will make jabs at eachother. We all participated in the contests that the proceeds went to a chariety that both the Jackets Backers and ACA support, Hockey Beats Cancer.

Again, we know not everyone is going to like the ACA and what we stand for. That is fine with us. Everyone is entitled to there own opinions. Everyone supports there teams in a different way. We are just a group of like minded people that want support our team and see Nationwide filled and rocking every single game.
1. The "Wake up lower bowl." chant is not need nor does it do anything other then make your group look bad.

2. The group might not of missed that game but 75% of its members did.

3. More then once someone from your group yelled out during the anthem.

4. Cannonfest I was not there so I don't know what happened.

How do you defend the "killed a guy" chant?

Old
08-30-2011, 04:00 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

The only suggestion I have for the group is during the games send some (sober) scouts to stand in other parts of the arena to listen.

Chants work differently in different environments (purely based on acoustics). Things that work well outside may be impossible to understand inside.

"Wake up lower bowl" is nothing but a taunt to your fellow fans. All you will accomplish will be to piss off your fellow fans. They won't get louder, they may ignore you, or complain to management if the "harassment" continues.

Focus on the ice - not your fellow fans in the stands.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:07 PM
ACABrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
1. The "Wake up lower bowl." chant is not need nor does it do anything other then make your group look bad.

2. The group might not of missed that game but 75% of its members did.

4. Cannonfest I was not there so I don't know what happened.

How do you defend the "killed a guy" chant?
1. When we feel the lower bowl needs reminding of what they are there for, we will do the chant. Sorry if you don't like it. I highly doubt we are going to stop doing it.

2. Again we were at 5 games last season. Just because we just happen to not be at one game that just happen to be the same day as a Crew Championship game is mute. As our group is slowly increasing in size, more and more of us will be a every game. Still our whole group will not be at every single game. It is just impossible at times.

3. I was at every game our group was there and I never remember anyone yelling out from our group during the anthem. But I am sure it is hard to police the other 10,000 people that were at the game...

4. Ok, I stated what happened. Nothing more to discuss about Cannonfest.

The "Heatly Killed a Guy" was done for maybe 2 minutes. I thought it was funny as did everyone around us (non-ACA members) and the staff at Nationwide. We did think better of it and did stop the chant. Again proof of self policing ourselves. Will someone start the chant when the Wild are in town, probably, but we will stop it if it is an ACA member.

I am not going to spend all day defending the ACA from people that do not like what we are and what we do. Again we know we are not going to "win-over" everyone and that is fine. I am just trying to state the facts when many people are spewing out flat out lies or statments that are not quite true.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:10 PM
cbjfan4life

I like em better than those "snake charmers" the playoff year

Old
08-30-2011, 04:19 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
1. When we feel the lower bowl needs reminding of what they are there for, we will do the chant. Sorry if you don't like it. I highly doubt we are going to stop doing it.

2. Again we were at 5 games last season. Just because we just happen to not be at one game that just happen to be the same day as a Crew Championship game is mute. As our group is slowly increasing in size, more and more of us will be a every game. Still our whole group will not be at every single game. It is just impossible at times.

3. I was at every game our group was there and I never remember anyone yelling out from our group during the anthem. But I am sure it is hard to police the other 10,000 people that were at the game...

4. Ok, I stated what happened. Nothing more to discuss about Cannonfest.

The "Heatly Killed a Guy" was done for maybe 2 minutes. I thought it was funny as did everyone around us (non-ACA members) and the staff at Nationwide. We did think better of it and did stop the chant. Again proof of self policing ourselves. Will someone start the chant when the Wild are in town, probably, but we will stop it if it is an ACA member.

I am not going to spend all day defending the ACA from people that do not like what we are and what we do. Again we know we are not going to "win-over" everyone and that is fine. I am just trying to state the facts when many people are spewing out flat out lies or statments that are not quite true.
1. What is the lower bowl there for? Can people not be fans as big as you guys with out making noise? How does that chant help anything other then make your group look bad?

2. It showed that your groups loyalties are with the Crew first and not the Jackets and make your efforts to act like your group are the real fans laughable.

3. It happened more then once and I sit close enough to see that it was one of your members each time. When you all wear scarfs its easy to point you out.

5. Done maybe 2 minutes? lol it was done a number of times during different parts of the game.

Own up to your groups mistakes and make the corrections this season and your group will be a success, don't and your group will fail.

Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 08-30-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old
08-30-2011, 04:23 PM
BluejacketNut

Wow, i never realized CBJ fans were so sensitive. A lot of this is sounding like the insecurity Jackets fans have with OSU (damning even a mention of OSU at Bluejackets game), except with soccer

Old
08-30-2011, 04:25 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Is anyone else other than me yawning at this one? Seems like some nitpicking. I would laugh and probably agree if I was down in the lower bowl when that was happening. Then again I don't really notice that big of a difference in crowd noise in the lower bowl versus the upper bowl either. They can both be energetic or sleepy. I've had season tickets in both and don't find it to be as different as people make it out to be.

Quote:
I guess I would have to know what separated them from all the other people that yell during the anthem. You get cat calls all the time.

Frankly I wish it would stop, personally. But since I don't get all that worked up for the other people that do it, I can't really hold these guys to a different standard. Which is mildly annoyed.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:29 PM
blahblah

Quote:
We do police ourselves and have never ever had any problems or complaints from staff at Nationwide or any event that we have been to.

The only game that I can think of that someone is claiming to be an "exhibition" game would had been the CONCACAF game on Feb 22 which was the same night the Jackets played Nashville. CONCACAF games are not "Exhibition" games, they are a championship tornament that the Crew particiapated in. Again, ACA was only at 5 games last season. We did not plan to be at that Jackets game because of the conflict of schedules. But there were several ACA members still at the Jackets game that night.

Thanks for the clarification. There are always two sides. I listed what I would like to see out of the group, but it's also a free country.

The biggest thing I ask is that you find some new material this year. I am all for improving the atmosphere, but I don't really want a bunch of recycled chants. That's not going to get me going if I am in the crowd.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:30 PM
ACABrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Wow, i never realized CBJ fans were so sensitive
Same thing I was thinking. LOL

As I have said, I am not trying to win anyone over and if you don't like us, that is fine. I do not agree with many of the negative statements being said here, but oh well it is the internet. The Arch City Army is here and we are trying to support our team, the Blue Jackets. Our numbers continue to grow every day. Hopefully someday we will be filling multple sections in Nationwide. But only time will tell.

Just Drop the Puck and get this season going!

Old
08-30-2011, 04:38 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Is anyone else other than me yawning at this one? Seems like some nitpicking. I would laugh and probably agree if I was down in the lower bowl when that was happening. Then again I don't really notice that big of a difference in crowd noise in the lower bowl versus the upper bowl either. They can both be energetic or sleepy. I've had season tickets in both and don't find it to be as different as people make it out to be.

I guess I would have to know what separated them from all the other people that yell during the anthem. You get cat calls all the time.

Frankly I wish it would stop, personally. But since I don't get all that worked up for the other people that do it, I can't really hold these guys to a different standard. Which is mildly annoyed.
Yeah its a stupid little thing but why not just do something productive with your chants?

As for the anthem thing sure you are always going to have people yell or make cat calls but when you separate yourself out as a group you should be make sure your members are being respectful.

I am just pointing out somethings that many noticed last season and if they make the corrections for this year they will win over those that were turned off last year.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:39 PM
99 CBJ

I sit in the lower bowl all the time and I can't even hear the ACA, so the lower bowl can't be that quiet.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Monk

I've only been able to go to a handful of Jackets games over the past couple seasons, and I can't recall if the ACA has been there or not at the same time. Regardless, it sounds like they have a helluva lot of fun at the games. Also, seems like they're just an easy target for *****ing about general crowd problems that exist at any sporting event.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I've only been able to go to a handful of Jackets games over the past couple seasons, and I can't recall if the ACA has been there or not at the same time. Regardless, it sounds like they have a helluva lot of fun at the games. Also, seems like they're just an easy target for *****ing about general crowd problems that exist at any sporting event.
Seems like it, I hope no Jackets fans ever enter Browns Stadium, good luck if you don't like loud noise.
Having fun at games is what it's all about, that and winning.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

My favorite is when someone asked the ACA on their facebook page why they were so quiet during one of the last Detroit games and they replied something to the effect:
"It's kinda hard to get cheering when the game is like that". Well.... Duuuuhhhhhhh! I guess if they had been around for more than 4 games, they may have noticed that the game impacts the crowd involvement.

There have been many examples of rocked out crowds when the game warrants it. Random soccer chants that are not connected to game play and drunken self promotion does not excite me. I have seen the Hooligans at Crew Stadium and don't relish that nonsense at the Nat. Looks more like self-promotion than fandom to me.

Maybe (hopefully) the atmosphere will be electric this year because of winning, but I am sure the credit will be claimed by the scarfwearing ACA drones.

And.. if they are awarded all the PSL perks without paying for the PSL, I will push to get my PSL money back. So much for exclusive benefits for folks willing to commit with a PSL.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't want the kids to have any fun. So there'll be no winning me over, no matter what you do, so I suggest you carry on and no concern yourselves about it.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
So, I clicked this link from the main hfboards page under the Central division thinking it would lead me to a post about the Blues...Good for you guys to have something like this at your games. Its pretty sweet and I wish them the best of luck.
THIS. Oh. So. THIS! Bahahahaha!

Old
08-30-2011, 05:21 PM
ACABrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't want the kids to have any fun. So there'll be no winning me over, no matter what you do, so I suggest you carry on and no concern yourselves about it.
Pretty much what we plan to do.

Old
08-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Arch City Zach

Quote:
As the kid of a PSL holder who mooched tickets for the last decade, let me tell you, I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would buy PSLs. By the time the game starts, PSL holders have had to dodge scalpers selling better tickets for half the costs and heard at least 10 different ads over the PA advertising similar seats, + food and drink, for a quarter of the costs.

Last year, I went a combined scalping+green seats route. I still went to half the games (of my choice) and paid about 15-20% of what my parents pay for full season PSLs. That's...unacceptable.

I understand that you need to attract new fans, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the PSL holders, who are the backbone of the fanbase.

Guys, we have nothing against the Lower Bowl, we have a decent amount of dues paying members in the LB. But it's the quietest part of the Nationwide, and there's no doubt about it. Our chant it is "Wake Up Lower Bowl", because any time I see a chant getting started, it's always in the Upper Bowl.

I myself have never skipped a game for soccer (though I am a HSH member), but we do have some people who are soccer first, hockey second. But most of us are hockey first, soccer second.

We had, ONE TIME, someone shout during a National Anthem and he was QUICKLY told to shut the F up. NO ONE DISRESPECTS LEO!

And when did we harass someone at Cannonfest, if anything, we only moaned when we didn't win. And then we laughed when we didn't win something.

The Heatley chant will haunt us for a while and we understand that. We policed ourselves after that to only have chants that could be considered in good taste (well, at least our good taste). We have spent the off season trying to create chants that our hockey specific (remember, we had only 5 games last season to work on things) and we hope to have more as the season goes along.

And to the person who said he wishes we'd leave the hooligan personality for Crew Stadium, I understand that. You want Nationwide to have it's own personality. Well, from anyone that I know who's attended a game from out of town, the comment is always "Great arena, too bad the crowd was dead the whole game".

Look, we're not even a season old guys. We're really in our first season still, trying to work out how to get this going. I wish you could just say that it's not working yet, but hope we make it fun to be at Nationwide. We've been working with the Jacket Backers, sending them people who aren't into the wildness and them sending people who are. We want to create an atmosphere that makes opposing teams dread coming to the NWA.

We don't want people against just for the fact that a lot of people (not myself) came from Crew Stadium to "invade" NWA. We're all hockey fans, we all cheer for the Jackets...can't we all just...get along?

Old
08-30-2011, 05:42 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

All a chant does is get the crowd loud and in step and tickle your inner caveman. There's a reason every arena's main chant is quick n' dirty

Old
08-30-2011, 05:46 PM
jag72

Quote:
Well someone likes them. The Jackets just did another big F YOU to all PSL holders by giving their members who get Season tickets PSL holder rights without having to buy a PSL.

@Dark Blue Jacket PSL benefits w/out PSL cost? WOW RT @ArchCityArmy: 2011-2012 ticket pricing and packages have now been announced for ACA archcityarmy.com
I don't consider this an FU since they are paying $900 for season tickets that are only worth $799. They most likely have the PSL fee bundled into the pricing for the season tickets.

Closed Thread