HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dumb Hockeyfuzz rumor du jour: Iginla to the Sabres

Old
08-30-2011, 06:30 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

vCash: 500
Dumb Hockeyfuzz rumor du jour: Iginla to the Sabres

http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/...ugust-30-2011/

Quote:
HOCKEYBUZZ.COM: Richard Cloutier wonders if Jarome Iginla might be dealt to Buffalo, suggesting that, because Daymond Langkow waived his NTC “to get out of Calgary” and return to Phoenix, that perhaps other Flames players realize “the ship is sinking” and are wanting out…

SPECTOR’S NOTE: “Eklund” better be careful, or Cloutier will steal his thunder. Iginla isn’t going anywhere…
Ummmm, yeah........

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 06:53 AM
gallagt01

So Langkow waived his NTC (to return to a place he played for several years)...

and that means Iginla is going to be traded to Buffalo?

That logic is ridiculous. I like it

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 06:55 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooooodman View Post
So Langkow waived his NTC (to return to a place he played for several years)...

and that means Iginla is going to be traded to Buffalo?

That logic is ridiculous. I like it
Maybe Iginla wants to snuggle up with Regehr in front of the new fireplace?????

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:00 AM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Maybe Iginla wants to snuggle up with Regehr in front of the new fireplace?????

That would make the "Tunnel of Death" a little less fear-inducing. Maybe it should be renamed to the "Tunnel of Cuddle"

Insomniac99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:19 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac99 View Post
That would make the "Tunnel of Death" a little less fear-inducing. Maybe it should be renamed to the "Tunnel of Cuddle"
Perhaps they pipe the exhaust flume into the opponents' dressing room, making it a different sort of "Tunnel of Death"?

There are weirder things that come to pass. This seems pretty outlandish.

08-30-2011, 08:15 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Just the thought of iginla and regehr snuggling up in front of a fire place in the blue and gold makes me very very very very happy.

Giggity

Last edited by Clock: 08-30-2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Easy now.
JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Maybe we'll get a 2nd to take on his salary

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Duffman

Sadly, I recall WGR discussing this a week or two ago. I think WGR passsed it off as rediculous. So there is hope for them after all.

Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:04 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Perhaps they pipe the exhaust flume into the opponents' dressing room, making it a different sort of "Tunnel of Death"?

There are weirder things that come to pass. This seems pretty outlandish.
I've been speculating that we could do something like this at the deadline. Adding a major piece like Iginla or Hemsky for a run at the Cup.

I realize we have enough wingers as it is, but we'd go 6 deep on top-6 wings and would have an extremely potent offense.

That and the only guy I can see being moved who's center-capable is Tuomo Ruutu if Carolina is bombing. Maybe Saku if Anaheim falls apart but he's getting on in age.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:06 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Sadly, I recall WGR discussing this a week or two ago. I think WGR passsed it off as rediculous. So there is hope for them after all.
I don't think it's ridiculous for Feaster to ask Iginla to waive his NTC. He already had to do it to a lifelong Flame and team hero in Regehr, so if Calgary is tanking, who's to say he wouldn't ask Iginla?

And given that he's already been wheeling and dealing with Darcy this offseason and we are obviously gunning for it all.... does that really seem SO surprising?

Iginla had 86 points last year. Old or not, there are guys I would ship off this roster to get him here.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:21 AM
sk8haggard9

We need to resign Myers and Ennis this offseason. His $7million dollar cap hit until 2013 wouldn't fly, and not to mention that we are undoubtedly already stacked on RW. If a "major" trade is made I would definitely hope a center is coming this way. I'd hate to sacrifice the future for a position we already have an abundance of and a guy who is on the tail end of his career, even if it is Jerome Iginla.

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Duffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
I don't think it's ridiculous for Feaster to ask Iginla to waive his NTC. He already had to do it to a lifelong Flame and team hero in Regehr, so if Calgary is tanking, who's to say he wouldn't ask Iginla?

And given that he's already been wheeling and dealing with Darcy this offseason and we are obviously gunning for it all.... does that really seem SO surprising?

Iginla had 86 points last year. Old or not, there are guys I would ship off this roster to get him here.
Don't get me wrong. I would love Iginla in the blue and gold. I'm just highly skeptical of trade rumors that seem too good to be true.

I wouldn't doubt that several teams, including the Sabres, have inquired about Iginla. That said, even with the dealing between Feaster and Darcy I just have a hard time seeing Iginla leaving the Flames at this time. Maybe around the trading deadline.

Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Outlandishness aside, Regehr's willingness to come here, his interactions with Pegula, Black, Regier, and Ruff, as well as his reception from the fans? The guy has to have some positive things to say to his former captain, if it came to that.

And yes, going for the Cup does cost a team in futures (picks/prospects) as well as young established players. Sucking afterward? Far easier when one can sop one's tears on the corner of a Cup banner.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Unless Vanek is going the other way, where's the room for his salary coming from?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Unless Vanek is going the other way, where's the room for his salary coming from?
It's not, it's Eklund.

End of thread. More garbage, mods please close. Thank you.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Outlandishness aside, Regehr's willingness to come here, his interactions with Pegula, Black, Regier, and Ruff, as well as his reception from the fans? The guy has to have some positive things to say to his former captain, if it came to that.
Not to mention that the same three former teammates of Regehr (Leopold, Montador and Warrener) that helped persuade him would likely be guys Iginla would listen to.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
More likely one of Stafford or Pominville would have to go the other way from both value and cap points of view as well as positionally. Feaster would likely be more interested in Ennis and some things from the top of the prospect pool like Armia or Adam and perhaps 'dub guys Pysyk or McNabb. *shrug* But it's not all that far fetched to think moving one of Vanek, Pominville, or Stafford in the deal is very nearly enough to make it happen.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
More likely one of Stafford or Pominville would have to go the other way from both value and cap points of view as well as positionally. Feaster would likely be more interested in Ennis and some things from the top of the prospect pool like Armia or Adam and perhaps 'dub guys Pysyk or McNabb. *shrug* But it's not all that far fetched to think moving one of Vanek, Pominville, or Stafford in the deal is very nearly enough to make it happen.
I'd find it odd if they shipped Stafford out right after signing him to a new contract. Not that it wouldn't happen, especially if it means someone like Iginla coming back, but it seems unlikely. I could see something around Pominville, though. I'm okay with sending out picks and prospects with Pominville to land someone like Iginla (I won't attempt an actual trade since I have no idea what it would take), but they'd still have some work to do in clearing out more salary.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

I actually wonder if the Stempniak-Langkow deal might be a precursor to Stempniak landing in Buffalo or the Isles in that rumored deal..... I could see Hecht ending up on the Island with Morrison with Stemp coming to Buffalo and draft picks and perhaps Josh Bailey going to Calgary.

Not sure of Stempnikas cap hit though...could preclude a Buffalo deal, but i think he would fill a nice role here with more offensive punch.

Its a long shot, but... ya never know.

Ghost of Dale Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:02 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Generally speaking, I doubt this would happen until the deadline when it's clear Calgary is out of it. That means we could fit his cap hit in this year, and Stafford would probably have to go back the other way, if not Pominville. That leaves us to take on anywhere from 1.7 to 3M in salary - we could afford that by moving some pieces around, including raises for Myers and Ennis.

Boyes off the books, Hecht and Gaustad back only at reduced salaries, bring up some of the kids, etc.

Again, we're talking about a PPG+ All-Star player here. Iginla had more points last season on a bad Calgary team than any Sabre since Briere in 06-07. The kind of guy who wins you Cups. It's going to cost valuable assets. But we're in a position now where we can make trades like this, a place we haven't been before. I say we sack up and go for it.

Old
08-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
Jack-ed up!

Do we even need another winger?

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:06 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
It obviously wouldn't be Vanek as that would defeat the purpose. Would almost definitely be one of Stafford or Pominville (probably Stafford since he's younger), plus some good prospect talent and/or picks (Maybe Pysyk, maybe 2012 1st, something along those lines)

Old
08-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
Do we even need another winger?
Of Iginla's talent? Absolutely. Having a talent like Iginla makes the hole at center way less noticeable. With him on your top line, having a top line center is way less of a factor.

Vanek - Leino - Iginla
Ennis - Roy - Stafford/Pominville

Those are two lines that can put up some great numbers.

Old
08-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Iggy's been doing it in Calgary with a collection of also-rans as his center for a long time. He'd fit right in here.

And yes, it is a matter of improving a particular roster spot. Iginla is a better player than Pominville or Stafford in much the same way Regehr and Ehrhoff are improvements on Montador/Butler. It's all about making the roster better.

*caveat* This all exists in the realm of fantasy. I do NOT expect this nor even really see it as extant, real, or probably.

Old
08-30-2011, 10:32 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
IF we were to get Iginla to Buffalo, it would be a deadline move. Calgary is still near the cap and the expectations there are for the playoffs.

You don't deal your best player before the season starts for futures.

IF Calgary is out of it at the deadline, maybe there is a chance he's dealt. But a deal like this now? Nope, not happening.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote