HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The Voice Of The Tommies......

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-30-2011, 11:07 AM
  #1
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
The Voice Of The Tommies......

Has Randy Cory ,the radio voice of the Tommie's been another casualty of the previous men's hockey administration?
Are faithful followers of the radio or web to be denied coverage?
I have heard from a reliable source that the Wolf radio has not been picked up to do next years men's hockey schedule?
Can anybody shed some light on to this subject? Both Randy Cory and sidekicks gave very credible coverage ,any news on this subject would be most appreciated.

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:25 AM
  #2
VRedsRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Randy did a great job - say it aint so! His sidekicks - I can do without!

VRedsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:05 PM
  #3
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRedsRule View Post
Randy did a great job - say it aint so! His sidekicks - I can do without!
I do not know for sure what is needed but I have a "far out" suggestion for the current Athletic Director, who should hold some responsibility of resurrecting community support; the suggestion I would make is for the Athletics department to contact all friends and businesses in Fredericton soliciting advertisement enough to cover what ever expenses might be incurred for such an enterprise. after all it could be a positive PR boom for the University or is this just too radical an idea? or is this too much to ask that an Athletics office to undertake? I might even be convinced to take out an advert if it meant making sure that we could still enjoy the Tommie's from where ever.Post your ideas here,

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:09 PM
  #4
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRedsRule View Post
Randy did a great job - say it aint so! His sidekicks - I can do without!
ps- just for the record I LOVED THE SIDEKICKS and STU is some lucky to have a broadcaster the likes of Randy Cory.

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:39 PM
  #5
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
The challenge for radio now is the growth of webcasting, particularly from SSN hosting. No matter what the quality fans appear keener to watch video than listen to radio. And it is understandable.

UNB, SMU, Dal, StFX, and Acadia all have many games broadcast on SSN. UPEI has their own deal with Aliant. So only STU and UdeM are NOT on webcast (and I hear UdeM is coming).

Therefore, if you can watch many or most of STU's (and UNB's) road games it really cuts into your radio audience. Makes radio tough sell probably for advertisers and budgets.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:14 PM
  #6
RCPXP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
The decision not to return to broadcast STU's games on radio next season was mine. It would be unfair to say I was pushed out. It was a business decision on my part, plain and simple, the reasons for which I am not going to air in this forum.

I have not closed the door to further broadcasting with St. Thomas, or anywhere else for that matter. I have no plans to hang up the headset anytime soon. But for now, just like every year before this one, I am a free agent.


~ Randy Corey (don't forget the 'e' RF)


Last edited by RCPXP: 08-30-2011 at 07:43 PM.
RCPXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:27 PM
  #7
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyPuckRadio View Post
The decision not to return to broadcast STU's games on radio next season was mine. It would be unfair to say I was pushed out. It was a business decision on my part, plain and simple, the reasons for which I am not going to air in this forum.

I have not closed the door to further broadcasting with St. Thomas, or anywhere else for that matter. I have no plans to hang up the headset anytime soon. But for now, just like every year before this one, I am a free agent.


~ Randy Corey (don't forget the 'e' RF)
Thanks for the clarification regarding your "free agent" status and apologies to you for the miss spell on your family name should have read Randy Corey.

So the job for Tommie's Nation is to make you an offer than you can't refuse.....let's start the bidding.
Should STU get into the webcasting with Mr Corey as the new Danny Gallivan?

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:42 PM
  #8
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
Thanks for the clarification regarding your "free agent" status and apologies to you for the miss spell on your family name should have read Randy Corey.

So the job for Tommie's Nation is to make you an offer than you can't refuse.....let's start the bidding.
Should STU get into the webcasting with Mr Corey as the new Danny Gallivan?
ill be down if Randy webcasted games. Especially if its archived cause i wont be able to watch it live. I was bored at the rink today at RMC hockey camp so i was watching some highlights of nationals

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:26 PM
  #9
Island Husky
Registered User
 
Island Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kensington PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
The challenge for radio now is the growth of webcasting, particularly from SSN hosting. No matter what the quality fans appear keener to watch video than listen to radio. And it is understandable.

UNB, SMU, Dal, StFX, and Acadia all have many games broadcast on SSN. UPEI has their own deal with Aliant. So only STU and UdeM are NOT on webcast (and I hear UdeM is coming).
Yeah I watched them, UDM,last year on some?? webcast


Last edited by Island Husky: 08-31-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: watched who?
Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:42 AM
  #10
gleanerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Hope it works out for you, Randy. Thought you did a professional calibre job. Best of luck whatever happens from here.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:10 AM
  #11
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Hope it works out for you, Randy. Thought you did a professional calibre job. Best of luck whatever happens from here.
AGREED! as broadcasters go Randy Corey is one of the BEST in the country and STU would be shooting themselves in the foot once again to let this man remain a free agent,it should be a no brainer.

Both hockey programs deserve a man of this quality,bring back the Broadcast ( or webcast) why is STU to be the only AUS men's hockey NOT to be utilizing the SSN network to advertise and gain notice for the BEST LITTLE SCHOOL IN THE COUNTRY.....wake up STU! and inform the uninformed as to the great potential of such a vehicle.

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:20 AM
  #12
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
AGREED! as broadcasters go Randy Corey is one of the BEST in the country and STU would be shooting themselves in the foot once again to let this man remain a free agent,it should be a no brainer.

Both hockey programs deserve a man of this quality,bring back the Broadcast ( or webcast) why is STU to be the only AUS men's hockey NOT to be utilizing the SSN network to advertise and gain notice for the BEST LITTLE SCHOOL IN THE COUNTRY.....wake up STU! and inform the uninformed as to the great potential of such a vehicle.
one idea is that there is not enough room at the LBR to have webcast. Teams bring their video coaches and they sit on the opposite side of the Tommies bench under the press box. And you cant have a camera in the press box because the sight lines down are absolutley terrible. Just say there is a situation and there are multiple guys in the box, you have to lean over to see who is in the box.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:55 AM
  #13
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,487
vCash: 500
Hopefully once STU moves into the GHC they will be able to webcast their home games.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:23 PM
  #14
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
If You Snooze,you Lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Hopefully once STU moves into the GHC they will be able to webcast their home games.
Broadcasts both visually and on the air waves have been in the past successfully initiated from within the 4 walls of the Beav and there is PLENTY of room to do so again,in fact one of the above posters did it for a living.

Become one of the solutions and not continue to be one of the problems,I am sure that the technical impediments,if there are any,can be overcome by a professional such as Randy Corey.....he has done so before....

Carpe diam and lets just do it.

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:26 PM
  #15
timbitca
Registered User
 
timbitca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: JLL Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
I don't know where you were looking last year Foyle, but our home games were webcast last year and they're going to be webcast again this year. I'll be putting the schedule online soon and give you guys the details.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 07:26 AM
  #16
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
I don't know where you were looking last year Foyle, but our home games were webcast last year and they're going to be webcast again this year. I'll be putting the schedule online soon and give you guys the details.
Well I obviously didn't find them! Or perhaps the broadcasts were the same time as UNB games so I wasn't looking for them then. And UdeM wasn't in the playoffs, sorry, so wouldn't have looked for them then.

Bottom line, that means only STU is not webcasting some of their games.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:39 PM
  #17
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,931
vCash: 500
So no radio coverage at all this year?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:01 AM
  #18
austrooper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
So no radio coverage at all this year?
foyle is absolutely correct that people would rather watch a webcast than listen to the radio. still, there's something magical about listening to a hockey game on the radio..theatre of the mind so to speak....I, for one, will miss terribly being involved with that aspect of coverage this season..but hoping that arrangements can be made to broadcast the national tournament once again. Still believe there are enough radio fans out there to make it relevant...

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:47 AM
  #19
Island Husky
Registered User
 
Island Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kensington PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
Broadcasts both visually and on the air waves have been in the past successfully initiated from within the 4 walls of the Beav and there is PLENTY of room to do so again,in fact one of the above posters did it for a living.

Become one of the solutions and not continue to be one of the problems,I am sure that the technical impediments,if there are any,can be overcome by a professional such as Randy Corey.....he has done so before....

Carpe diam and lets just do it.
That's true, the original radio (webcast ) broadcast in AUS I heard from the LBR, used to listen to it on Winamp, trying to think if it was around 2000, the year they won the title. They beat X that year, and when they went to Antigonish for the two games it was on Eastlink Ch 10.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:56 AM
  #20
austrooper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
That's true, the original radio (webcast ) broadcast in AUS I heard from the LBR, used to listen to it on Winamp, trying to think if it was around 2000, the year they won the title. They beat X that year, and when they went to Antigonish for the two games it was on Eastlink Ch 10.
chsr-fm did many of the games that year for the Tommies...the season was 2000-01 and Darryl Smith was the head coach....like husky says, they beat st. fx in the aus final with jason sands scoring an overtime game winner in the third and final game....both teams went to the natonals that year with the tommies finishing 0-2....the x-men should have won the national, but dave haun let in a soft goal and they ended up losing to western......great season to remember, especially the sands goal....doesn't get any better for tommie fans....

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:49 PM
  #21
STUTOMMIES
Registered User
 
STUTOMMIES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fredericton
Country: Canada
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Good time for sure Trooper. Great call by you on that goal. Hope things are going well for you in Upper Canada.

It's going to come back.



Last edited by STUTOMMIES: 09-03-2011 at 01:00 PM.
STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 04:53 PM
  #22
austrooper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Good time for sure Trooper. Great call by you on that goal. Hope things are going well for you in Upper Canada.

It's going to come back.

tks stutommies....things going OK here in Hamilton, love the area and my wife and I are enjoying working at Postmedia although for me, I'd just as soon be back in freddy...particularly with the aus hockey season upcoming...really do hope ryan has a positive effect on the tommies program and the rivalry with unb is rekindled...even the most diehard unb fans want to see that happen...the video you posted I believe is that of eastlink and it sounds like Ken MacLean calling the goal by sands...I still remember the 2 on 1 (tiveron) was the other player and I'm sure st. fx goalie david daun thought sands was going to pass the puck....he sort of left the post and sands was able to score the goal...one of the great moments for stu hockey and you're right, it was thrilling to have been at that game......you've been a great fan of stu for a long time....

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:25 PM
  #23
gleanerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Can tell you that, based on my conversations with Ryan, he's already had a positive effect...may not translate in wins and losses right away, but changing the culture and the attitude and atmosphere is job 1 and that's being done even before puck drop. Believe they've bottomed out and they'll build from here...

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:45 PM
  #24
STUTOMMIES
Registered User
 
STUTOMMIES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fredericton
Country: Canada
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Can tell you that, based on my conversations with Ryan, he's already had a positive effect...may not translate in wins and losses right away, but changing the culture and the attitude and atmosphere is job 1 and that's being done even before puck drop. Believe they've bottomed out and they'll build from here...
That is good to hear. I think he has done a good job recruiting this year to date considering how late he entered the game. Looking forward to see some Tommies hockey again soon.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
  #25
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Can tell you that, based on my conversations with Ryan, he's already had a positive effect...may not translate in wins and losses right away, but changing the culture and the attitude and atmosphere is job 1 and that's being done even before puck drop. Believe they've bottomed out and they'll build from here...
GLAD TO HEAR IT!
I think that the change in coaching leadership will have a dramatic and positive affect on the ice;previous leadership recruited inadequately,did not retain recruits and deployed his assets poorly..........just take a look at the stats of STU's 1st PP alingement these last couple of years who were often scored upon REPEATEDLY.

Current coach Ryan often out recruited STU in identifying and securing recruits from the MJHL for Acadia and I would suggest that he will continue to do so; Bisser's "Q" connection is surely working and I believe that this years combination of returning veterans and the new lads will be better utilized than in the past by current Coaches Ryan and Bissonnette.

The Tommies have narrowed the gap and will compete more completely but the AUS remains the TOP league in Canada and I expect some very competitive and close competitions as all teams have recruited well.

GET OUT AND SUPPORT THE NEW GROUP.....see ya'LL in the rinks!

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.